vCash

Is Oklahoma college football's unlikely sleeper?

Sports on Earth's Matt Brown has his sleeper for the 2015 season. And it's the Oklahoma Sooners.

Brown explains: "It's the same story every offseason: Results of bowl games disproportionately influence the hype of teams entering the next season," Brown writes. This is typically in the form of a bowl bump, when a team that played its best game of the year in a bowl -- our last memory of a team, supposedly gaining momentum into the offseason -- rockets up preseason rankings as a popular team to pick to do big things.

Bob Stoops and the Sooners have been their most dangerous when overlooked.
    "Oklahoma knows this well. And now Oklahoma knows the opposite. Our last memories of the Sooners create the image of a team in the midst of a free fall, when in reality the Sooners have a chance to rebound in a big way."

I was actually having this conversation with ESPN Insider Travis Haney the other day. Has the cynicism with Oklahoma gone too far, to the point the Sooners could actually be a surprise team? Historically, under Stoops, when the Sooners have been off the radar or discounted, they've been dangerous. Nick Saban can attest to that. In fact, the last time preseason expectations for Oklahoma were this low was 2000. The Sooners went on to win the national championship.

This week during the Big 12 car wash, I asked Stoops whether the crash-landing final month of last year could have any carryover effect into 2015. Stoops had a good counter: What did the massively strong finish in 2013 do for the Sooners last season? The answer, of course, was pretty much nothing.

"Everyone equates the year before. What did it do for us?" Stoops said. "I’ve been 8-5 before [in 2005] and what we’d do the next year? We won the Big 12 championship. We’ve had other really good years. It doesn’t do anything for the next year. I’ve never bought into anything that happened last year is going to do anything for you this year."

Which takes us back to Brown's point. People, including yours truly, have been down on Oklahoma, largely because of how the Sooners finished last year. But as Stoops pointed out, that isn't always the best indicator for predicting how a team will fare the following season.

Stoops also made wholesale changes during the offseason, including hiring Lincoln Riley to bring back the air raid offense to Norman. The Sooners could have a new quarterback behind center in Baker Mayfield. And they have a pair of promising newcomers to the offensive lineup, too, in Joe Mixon and Dede Westbrook.

It won't take us long, though, to find out whether these Sooners will be different.

Writes Brown: "(That) makes Sept. 12 one of the most intriguing days on the college football calendar. Last year, a still-powerful Oklahoma torched Tennessee 34-10 at home in front of a prime-time audience. This year, trajectories are supposed to have changed: Oklahoma is falling, and it is visiting a Tennessee team that is supposed to be on the rise, with a chance to finally be a player in the SEC race again. This year's battle could be a confirmation of all preseason perceptions. While losing would not be the end of the world for Oklahoma -- after all, Tennessee very well could be a contender -- we may quickly learn a lot about where this new-look Sooners team is headed."

If Oklahoma gets drilled in Knoxville, the fall from national prominence could continue on.

But if the Sooners knock off the Vols, they could become one of college football's surprise teams.

As Brown put it, "Don't write an obituary for the Stoops era just yet."

SoonerFans.com Elite Member picasso's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Is Oklahoma college football's unlikely sleeper?

I slept.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Tear Down This Wall's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by milesl View Post
    Sports on Earth's Matt Brown has his sleeper for the 2015 season. And it's the Oklahoma Sooners.

Brown explains: "It's the same story every offseason: Results of bowl games disproportionately influence the hype of teams entering the next season," Brown writes. This is typically in the form of a bowl bump, when a team that played its best game of the year in a bowl -- our last memory of a team, supposedly gaining momentum into the offseason -- rockets up preseason rankings as a popular team to pick to do big things.

Bob Stoops and the Sooners have been their most dangerous when overlooked.
    "Oklahoma knows this well. And now Oklahoma knows the opposite. Our last memories of the Sooners create the image of a team in the midst of a free fall, when in reality the Sooners have a chance to rebound in a big way."

I was actually having this conversation with ESPN Insider Travis Haney the other day. Has the cynicism with Oklahoma gone too far, to the point the Sooners could actually be a surprise team? Historically, under Stoops, when the Sooners have been off the radar or discounted, they've been dangerous. Nick Saban can attest to that. In fact, the last time preseason expectations for Oklahoma were this low was 2000. The Sooners went on to win the national championship.

This week during the Big 12 car wash, I asked Stoops whether the crash-landing final month of last year could have any carryover effect into 2015. Stoops had a good counter: What did the massively strong finish in 2013 do for the Sooners last season? The answer, of course, was pretty much nothing.

"Everyone equates the year before. What did it do for us?" Stoops said. "I’ve been 8-5 before [in 2005] and what we’d do the next year? We won the Big 12 championship. We’ve had other really good years. It doesn’t do anything for the next year. I’ve never bought into anything that happened last year is going to do anything for you this year."

Which takes us back to Brown's point. People, including yours truly, have been down on Oklahoma, largely because of how the Sooners finished last year. But as Stoops pointed out, that isn't always the best indicator for predicting how a team will fare the following season.

Stoops also made wholesale changes during the offseason, including hiring Lincoln Riley to bring back the air raid offense to Norman. The Sooners could have a new quarterback behind center in Baker Mayfield. And they have a pair of promising newcomers to the offensive lineup, too, in Joe Mixon and Dede Westbrook.

It won't take us long, though, to find out whether these Sooners will be different.

Writes Brown: "(That) makes Sept. 12 one of the most intriguing days on the college football calendar. Last year, a still-powerful Oklahoma torched Tennessee 34-10 at home in front of a prime-time audience. This year, trajectories are supposed to have changed: Oklahoma is falling, and it is visiting a Tennessee team that is supposed to be on the rise, with a chance to finally be a player in the SEC race again. This year's battle could be a confirmation of all preseason perceptions. While losing would not be the end of the world for Oklahoma -- after all, Tennessee very well could be a contender -- we may quickly learn a lot about where this new-look Sooners team is headed."

If Oklahoma gets drilled in Knoxville, the fall from national prominence could continue on.

But if the Sooners knock off the Vols, they could become one of college football's surprise teams.

As Brown put it, "Don't write an obituary for the Stoops era just yet."
    Again with the Mack Brownian, "We did this in the past, we did that in the past."

Six of the past seasons, one outright Big 12 championship, Bob. That's your recent past. Quit reaching back to 2008 and before. Those days are long gone.

And, beating Tennessee means nothing. As mediocre as they have become, they should be beaten in these type of games. They hired some MAC jackoff instead of a real coach. It's their second crappy hiring in a row. In Stoops can't beat this joke of a coach again, it's a problem.
    "General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"
    President Ronald Reagan at the Berlin Wall, June 12, 1987

SoonerFans.com Elite Member KantoSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Relax, Tear. The whole point of a 'sleeper' is that it is not likely. It's sort of 'most likely among long shots'.
    Your predictions of The Apocalypse are still safe. Why, anything less than a ten win season and you'll be able to settle on your high branch and crap rotted armadillo all over anyone so foolish as to wait 'til the regular season to declare defeat.
    "I don't know karate, but I know ka-razor!" - James Brown

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

The red flag for me was the spring game. I came away very nonplussed with what the next season will entail.

BUT BUT BUT...
    1- Injuries and suspensions will be over by fall!
    2- New offensive coordinator's system takes time to install!
    3- We'll have a new quarterback maybe probably!

Didn't we used to make fun of Texas (who also had a dud of a spring game --- I caught it on Bevo TV before cancelling the cable) for these types of excuses?

None of them are legit because the college game requires players and coaches to learn and teach with new personnel every season. Unlike the NFL who can sign and keep players/coaches as long as they want, players have about a four-year window in college (and coaches don't even get that long before they've canned these days) and we've lost coaches to other jobs many times before.

All that matters is how much the team we have now will win and by how much... and first impressions at the spring game were not stellar. Sorry

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Tear Down This Wall's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by KantoSooner View Post
    Relax, Tear. The whole point of a 'sleeper' is that it is not likely. It's sort of 'most likely among long shots'.
    Your predictions of The Apocalypse are still safe. Why, anything less than a ten win season and you'll be able to settle on your high branch and crap rotted armadillo all over anyone so foolish as to wait 'til the regular season to declare defeat.
    Yes. In a conference as crappy as the Big 12, anything less than 10 wins for either OU or Texas should have their coaches in hot water. Glad to see you might be waking up.
    "General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"
    President Ronald Reagan at the Berlin Wall, June 12, 1987

SoonerFans.com Elite Member KantoSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Yes, a conference crappy enough to have 2 of the top five teams in the country pre-season. Oh! Woe is us!
    "I don't know karate, but I know ka-razor!" - James Brown

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

anything less than 10 wins for either OU or Texas should have their coaches in hot water.
    Yes, a conference crappy enough to have 2 of the top five teams in the country pre-season. Oh! Woe is us!
    It is possible to agree with you both under these scenarios because they work together so well.

Season with losses to Baylor and TCU = 10-11 win season.

That's 12 regular season games plus the bowl game, assuming no playoffs. Therefore, one of OU and Texas should have 10 wins, and the winner of RRS should have 11 wins. That's beating everyone except our two top-5 teams.

Acceptable? Sure why not

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Tear Down This Wall View Post
    Yes. In a conference as crappy as the Big 12, anything less than 10 wins for either OU or Texas should have their coaches in hot water. Glad to see you might be waking up.
    A conference that has equally good teams would likely result in everyone having a record along the lines of mostly 6-6, 7-5, 5-7, and maybe an 8-4. The games would certainly be entertaining but you might not like the results. The playoff isn't slanted that way for sure--it rewards having an elite team or maybe two in each conference, and then there's the math problem of five main conferences and only four slots. Somebody's going to get left out. Last season it was easy to shunt off the Big 12.

vCash

My honest feeling at this point is the Sooners will surprise at how good they are. We weren't that far off last season...had a few bad breaks and saw the results of not having enough depth, not developing a few key positions well enough (and/or not recruiting well enough) and a couple of nearly unfathomable developments (Michael Hunnicutt collapsing when needed most). Really, we came THAT close to being 11-1 through the regular season, even with all our shortcomings. And you know what? Ultimately last season doesn't matter. Let's focus on this season and see if the new mix of coaches and players make for a better season. I know I'm ready for some football.

vCash

He's right, you know. Can't get any more unlikely than us this season.
    The enduring image of Oklahoma was that ridiculous double–middle finger of a game-icing kick. It was probably an accident, which somehow made it more, not less, insulting. It was as though Stoops had partied so hard on the corpse of the SEC that he woke up with an unplanned tattoo.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by picasso View Post
    I slept.
    I made it through 4 paragraphs.
    Put a lid on it! Kiss it goodbye. We gave it away, and apparently thought it made sense to do so.

HMFIC
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by picasso View Post
    I slept.
    Was I imagining things, or did I see you on the teevee last night?