Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tennessee game

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 BermudaSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Tennessee game

Could there be a more difficult city to get to?--I thought West Virginia was bad.

And then once you get there, there are no hotel rooms anywhere near downtown (everything has been booked for weeks)--only Super 8s 20 miles out.

We better win this game--already a pain to get there and it is 6 weeks out.
    "You get no moral credit for forcing other people to do what you think is right."---Penn Jillette

"It's what I do, I drink and I know things."---Tyrion Lannister

SoonerFans.com Elite Member King Crimson's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Tennessee game

you are amazed that the University of Tennessee doesn't have hotel rooms in a college town (near downtown) available for a game with Oklahoma?
    “someone's controlling the vibes!"--apache dropout

vCash

I'm amazed that there are only 3 hotels downtown--and I'm amazed that you hill billies had the foresight to book them all so early!
    "You get no moral credit for forcing other people to do what you think is right."---Penn Jillette

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

Also Rocky Top announced that they sold out the OU and Georgia home games, so even if you find a hotel room you might not find a cheap ticket --- they were $105 face value.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextr...2476e68f3.html

I found it interesting with a 100K (plus) stadium capacity that they only sell 66K season tickets. For all the hype that Vols football is back in the SEC loving media, the other-UT fans seem to be smarter with their wallets. And only two sellout home games???

Maybe Lane Kiffin's mouth and Derek Dooley's orange pants have made Vol fans weary. Or maybe, Butch Jones has not really accomplished much more than a hefty pay raise for 12 wins in two seasons.
    http://www.tennessean.com/story/vols...2020/20087385/

The fans aren't the dumb ones --- the admin is

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Over Rated.....

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

My husband and I were in Tennessee to play golf, and on a rainy day decided to drive to see the famous Tennessee stadium. One, it is in the middle of town, with hills everywhere, poor parking, and since half of the stadium is on the river, this limits traffic flow. Also, it just looked like a big metal hulk. UGLY!

vCash

After you mentioned that, I was curious when they expanded to 100K... yup, during the Peyton Manning era (1996).

On the season ticket thing I mentioned, the Vols were in a downward spiral since 2005 apparently, so 60K makes them happy:
    http://www.knoxnews.com/govolsxtra/f...0plus_55352897

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BermudaSooner View Post
    I'm amazed that there are only 3 hotels downtown--and I'm amazed that you hill billies had the foresight to book them all so early!
    So If I decide to Not go and wanted to sell my room reservations wonder how much I could get?
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

If God wanted Men to look women in the eyes, He wouldnt have gave em Boobs !

vCash

Oh noes it's a sign Tennessee football is starting over and the mediocrity is melting away...
    http://www.wbir.com/story/news/2015/...t-ut/30512049/

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by olevetonahill View Post
    So If I decide to Not go and wanted to sell my room reservations wonder how much I could get?
    I just found last night the last 2 rooms at the Holiday Inn Express Downtown. Normally a $150 a night hotel is going for $550 a night that weekend. The Holiday Inn express that is 7 miles West and not in downtown is $315 a night for a normal $98 a night hotel.

So, I'm thinking you could do well if you have a well priced reservation and could transfer it to someone else.

vCash

Let's keep the Tennessee knocking going, because it's fun
    http://www.utsports.com/genrel/090414aab.html

Tennessee Athletics and its supporting fans encounter a tax burden faced by no other intercollegiate athletics program or fan base in the nation. Taxes on tickets to UT football and basketball games are taxed at a combined 14.25%, including a 9.25% state and local sales tax and the "amusement tax" that is 4.5% for the City of Knoxville and, before repeal, 0.5% to Knox County. At least four SEC athletic programs are not subject to sales tax, and furthermore, no other school in the SEC and the nation is subject to an amusement tax of this nature. The total tax burden for Tennessee Athletics is an SEC-high $4.3 million per year.
    So why were OU tickets $105 each, besides knowing that everyone from Vols to Sooners would pay that much? Because they have greedy governments out east of the Mississippi River, apparently.

I wonder if the expensive, not-available hotel rooms you all are finding are also subject to high taxes. Yeah probably

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Mazeppa's Avatar
    vCash

I'm glad it's players from Tennessee making news and not from Oklahoma:

Tennessee lineman Mosley arrested, charged with DUI
    AP
    JUL 23, 2015 9:54a ET

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. -- Tennessee redshirt freshman lineman Charles Mosley has been arrested on a charge of driving under the influence.
    The 18-year-old Mosley was driving on Interstate 40 on Wednesday at 1:51 a.m. when he was stopped for driving 79 mph in a 55-mph zone, according to the arrest warrant. The warrant also states Mosley "performed poorly" in a field sobriety test and that a search of his vehicle revealed marijuana residue.
    The Knoxville News-Sentinel first reported Mosley's arrest.
    Mosley was asked about an odor of marijuana that was coming from his vehicle, the warrant stated. It also states Mosley said he hadn't been smoking, but that he had been visiting friends who were smoking.
    Tennessee spokesman Jason Yellin said Wednesday that the athletic department is "aware of the situation and at this point in time are in the process of gathering all of the facts and information."
    After missing the entire 2014 season with a broken tibia, Mosley worked out on both sides of the line during spring practice.

Freshman receiver Jocquez Bruce leaving Tennessee's program
    AP - Sports

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (AP) -- Freshman wide receiver Jocquez Bruce is leaving Tennessee's program.
    Tennessee coach Butch Jones confirmed via text message Friday that Bruce was leaving the team and said that ''we are helping him find a school.''
    Volquest first reported Bruce's departure.
    Bruce, who is from Knoxville, was rated as a consensus three-star recruit.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Go to ChoiceHotelsDotCom. Plenty of rooms that weekend. Don't know exactly how close to stadium. After keying in Knoxville, TN came up with Comfort Suites, Clarion, Comfort Inn ranging from $98 per night to $229 per night anywhere from 4.7 miles to 13 miles "from Knoxville" but all within City of Knoxville address. And cheaper rates at Quality Inn, Roadway...
    Another idea, google Gatlinburg Lodging. 60 miles from the stadium and right at the edge of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. Lots of very nice hotels and prices are cheap for multi night stays...like stay 3 nights and get one night free.

vCash

consensus three-star recruit
    heh don't think i've ever haerd "consensus" with 3-star recruit before. There's no mistaking that he was very average, I guess!*

*Average for a college recruit, but of course. Considering that all recruiting sites will not rank anyone lower than 2-star if they're ranked at all, "very average" is fair

SoonerFans.com Elite Member swardboy's Avatar
    vCash

Another idea, google Gatlinburg Lodging. 60 miles from the stadium and right at the edge of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. Lots of very nice hotels and prices are cheap for multi night stays...like stay 3 nights and get one night free.
    I think that's a great idea.
    "I'm going to request that you stop posting in this thread." - circa 2008
    "Why does there have to be so much immature stuff on here?" - circa 2010

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by MichiganSooner View Post
    Go to ChoiceHotelsDotCom. Plenty of rooms that weekend. Don't know exactly how close to stadium. After keying in Knoxville, TN came up with Comfort Suites, Clarion, Comfort Inn ranging from $98 per night to $229 per night anywhere from 4.7 miles to 13 miles "from Knoxville" but all within City of Knoxville address. And cheaper rates at Quality Inn, Roadway...
    Well, the point was to be downtown, walking distance to the stadium and Old Town. Traveling that far to a game, staying at a red roof inn just off the highway in a strip mall nowhere near the action isn't very exciting.

Lots of hotels in Gatlinburg and the mountains are beautiful, but VERY crowded on the weekends. Better plan on adding about two-three hours driving time to the game due to the heavy traffic. May want to google Sevierville/Pigeon Forge also. Even though traffic is also heavy here , area is about 15 miles closer to Knoxville and the home of Dollywood Theme Park. There is also plenty of nice cabin rentals in both areas.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by volpops View Post
    Lots of hotels in Gatlinburg and the mountains are beautiful, but VERY crowded on the weekends. Better plan on adding about two-three hours driving time to the game due to the heavy traffic. May want to google Sevierville/Pigeon Forge also. Even though traffic is also heavy here , area is about 15 miles closer to Knoxville and the home of Dollywood Theme Park. There is also plenty of nice cabin rentals in both areas.
    Thanks vol. Any suggestions on things to do/see while in town? Restaurant/bar absolutely have to go to?

vCash

Stay out in Townsend in the Great Smoky Mountains. It is quiet and beautiful. You can stay downtown by a stadium all over the nation. To be 60 miles out right beside one of the finest national parks in the United States is priceless.

vCash

So, do we want to go to the SEC or just stay in the Big XII?
    Last edited by MichiganSooner; 7/29/2015 at 12:07 PM.