Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Re: OU president believes Mixon and Shannon will be 'better people'

Whoops! Didn't mean to walk into an Aryan Brotherhood meeting.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Tear Down This Wall's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by C&CDean View Post
    It's not just the young generations who are clueless about this. I see plenty of 50-something folks bandying the word about without having a single clue what it really means.

I try to explain it like this: There's racism, and then there's prejudice. There's not a whole lot of folks who are racist, but everyone is prejudiced. Against something/someone.

A racist hates an entire race of people irregardless. If you're white, you must be bad. If you're black, you must be bad. Simply put, a racist isn't capable of thinking. There's a lot of stupid people, but not very many that are that close minded.

Prejudice, OTOH, is a whole other animal. I'm prejudiced as ****. I hate thieves, liars, lazy people, rioters, looters, and the people who feel these folks are justified in what they do because they were somehow wronged. If I see a group of young black thug-looking dudes on the corner I automatically assume "up to no damn good right there." I have a preconceived notion based on life experience that it would probably be wiser to cross the street and avoid them.

Ignorant people call that racism.
    Agree. Funny thing is, if Mixon (black) had been knocked out by the girl (white), we'd have heard no end of how she must be a racist.

Black athlete breaks the face of a white women...meh...not racist at all, we're to believe.

The bottom line has become this:
    (1) Anything negative that happens to a black person is racist.
    (2) Anything negative that happens to a hispanic might be racist; however, if illegal, for sure, anything that happens to them is racist.
    (3) Nothing negative ever happens, apparently, to Asians, Indians, etc. because they are too busy studying.
    (4) Anything negative that happens to a white person is just the white person's own fault.

The main problem for blacks, we're led to believe, is "white privilege." We're never told, of course, how Asians, Indians, Iranian, West Africans and other ethic groups somehow succeed in spite of it. We're not even supposed to ask about those cultures and people.
    "General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"
    President Ronald Reagan at the Berlin Wall, June 12, 1987

SoonerFans.com Elite Member FaninAma's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
    Edit: Not worth responding to.
    Beware the man who would rule you for your own good. He will never cease. He will regulate every aspect of your life, destroy your liberty and enslave you, and sleep well convinced that he has made the world a better place.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Tear Down This Wall's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by FaninAma View Post
    "General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"
    President Ronald Reagan at the Berlin Wall, June 12, 1987

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by FaninAma View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tear Down This Wall View Post
    So much for those well thought out opinions!

vCash

I was in favor of Mixon being given a lollipop and a medal for not letting a drunken piece of trash get away with hitting him first (her possessing female genitalia be damned).

Do I win some sort of award as an anti-racist? And when you think about it supporting equal rights!
    Behold the pale horse. The man who sat on him was death, and Hell followed with him.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

Winner of the Nobel Peace Prize 2015.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
    Why not? The dumb**** meeting was over anyhow, may as well make good use of your time.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SouthFortySooner's Avatar
    vCash

I'm not sure of the reasoning behind, "I'm going on record", or "I'm on record" statements. Is someone keeping records?

If they are, I've always wished he had hit her twice.
    " Ok children put your hands on your heart... and face Norman."

Quote Originally Posted by SicEmBaylor View Post
    Neither was OJ.
    Girl and DA declined to press any charges.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member FaninAma's Avatar
    vCash

I am sure Boren didn't care that Mixon crushed a few of the girl's facial bones but I would have thought Mixon using the F word to describe a gay person would have set the PC-avenger side of Boren off like the N word did in the frat case. Like I said, I guess it all depends on who uses the epithet and whether or not they can bring a little $$$$ to the University.
    Last edited by FaninAma; 7/7/2015 at 03:47 PM.
    Beware the man who would rule you for your own good. He will never cease. He will regulate every aspect of your life, destroy your liberty and enslave you, and sleep well convinced that he has made the world a better place.

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

We went through a miserable (by OU standards) football season without them and I'm still not entirely sure what Joe Mixon and Frank Shannon did to warrant not playing last year. The only two OU players of note that I'm sure of what went wrong to cause them to miss the season was DGB (a long list) and Baker Mayfield (breaking Kliff's heart).

Isn't it amazing how the "crimes" can be so different and the punishment (no playing OU football for you!) can be the same?

Moot at this point. I hope all took the year off to become better people and players, and I certainly hope Baker's lesson is learned by others: Never, ever play football at Texas Tech. Don't walk on, don't preferred walk-on, don't sign anything, especially a letter of intent. Even if it's your only Big 12 option, go to UTEP instead. Or UTSA. Or SMU. Tech bad.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

This FSU QB being kicked off the team made me think of Mixon, especially since the FSU guy had his tape released and it really wasn't terrible (whereas Mixon knocked his girl out, the FSU guy just made her cry). It really isn't fair to the FSU kid that the way FSU handled Winston dictated how they'd overreact in his case.

vCash

It really isn't fair to the FSU kid that the way FSU handled Winston dictated how they'd overreact in his case.
    Kind of like how the NFL messed up Ray Rice dictated how they overreacted to the Adrian Peterson case. It happens. Life's not fair.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Touche

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by EatLeadCommie View Post
    This FSU QB being kicked off the team made me think of Mixon, especially since the FSU guy had his tape released and it really wasn't terrible (whereas Mixon knocked his girl out, the FSU guy just made her cry). It really isn't fair to the FSU kid that the way FSU handled Winston dictated how they'd overreact in his case.
    Both the Rice and FSU QB videos really show how much the public responds to video and in turn, how the people in charge respond to the public outrage. The Rice video didn't look that bad to me as it was fully inline with what I expected after already seeing the video of him dragging her limp body out of the elevator. And yet, the punch video made a huge difference after the fact. Now imagine the Rice/FSU QB video taken up a notch to break facial bones and you have the Mixon video. How OU kept the thing out of the public is a mystery to me.

vCash

How OU kept the thing out of the public is a mystery to me
    Do you know how much TMZ would pay for that video if Mixon is as elite as his five-star recruiting status implies he will be? Do you know how quickly some teenager/college age minimum wager would sell that video for a lowball offer if given the chance?

Run Samaje run! Return, Alex, return! Air raid, offense, air raid!

Bench, Mixon, bench

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    Do you know how much TMZ would pay for that video if Mixon is as elite as his five-star recruiting status implies he will be? Do you know how quickly some teenager/college age minimum wager would sell that video for a lowball offer if given the chance?

Run Samaje run! Return, Alex, return! Air raid, offense, air raid!

Bench, Mixon, bench
    Well, a full year has passed, and Mixon was suspended. The girl was knocked out, and he only hit her once, thankfully. The case was investigated. The video would be a smash hit(intended) for TMZ or whomever, but unless the NCAA wanted to sling its weight around more, OU may be out of the woods on the Mixon debacle.
    Put a lid on it! Kiss it goodbye. We gave it away, and apparently thought it made sense to do so.

vCash

OU may be out of the woods on the Mixon debacle
    You might be right; there are definitely closet skeletons on other top players that have been allowed to remain locked away.

The lesson in all of this appears to be walk away. Don't confront, don't engage.

And for the love of all, don't walk on to Texas Tech

SoonerFans.com Elite Member KantoSooner's Avatar
    vCash

from what Mixon was apparently showing prior to his ankle sprain, there's no way he'll ride the bench this year. I would love it if he absolutely exploded this season.
    "I don't know karate, but I know ka-razor!" - James Brown

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by KantoSooner View Post
    from what Mixon was apparently showing prior to his ankle sprain, there's no way he'll ride the bench this year. I would love it if he absolutely exploded this season.
    Truth. I think Perine is more likely to ride the bench than Mixon (assuming they're both healthy and out of trouble).

I don't think either rides the bench, though.