Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

OU president believes Mixon and Shannon will be 'better people'

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-...211432367.html

Nick Bromberg By Nick Bromberg

Oklahoma president David Boren believes two Sooners returning to the team in 2015 have learned from their punishments.

Linebacker Frank Shannon and running back Joe Mixon are set to be on the Oklahoma roster after suspensions in 2014. Mixon was suspended after punching a female student while Shannon was suspended for violating the school's Title IX sexual misconduct policy.

“I think part of being an educational institution is that you have to have discipline when it’s required,” Boren told the Tulsa World. “With good parenting, punishment is required sometimes. Most of us have been on the receiving end of that from our parents and we’re better people for it. I think they’ll be better people because they’re on the receiving end of punishment.”

Mixon rejoined the team in February. A heralded recruit, he missed the entire 2014 season after the incident, which occurred in July and was captured on surveillance footage. According to police affadavits, the woman had multiple facial fractures.

Mixon reached a plea deal in October that entailed a one-year deferred sentence and community service. While he practiced with the team in the spring he didn't play in the spring game.

He was a five-star recruit in the class of 2014 and the No. 8 prospect overall according to Rivals.

While he was suspended by the university after an investigation, Shannon was never prosecuted. He was suspended for the school year in August 2014 and reinstated in June. Shannon had 92 tackles, two sacks and an interception in 2013.

“Both of the two individuals have shown great attitudes. They’ve gone through what they were supposed to go through,” Boren said. “I’ve watched Mixon because he’s been here and I’ve been able to see him more. Discipline, academic wise, he’s done really well. He and Shannon with their colleagues have been great out there. I think they’ve gone the extra mile.

“To me, it’s over. It’s just like being a parent. Sometimes you have to punish but then you still care about people. Then you give them every advantage to work their way back into the fold. They’ve done that.”

The return of both players is obviously a big boost to Oklahoma's Big 12 title chances. Mixon could be the primary backup to Samaje Perine at running back and Shannon could get his starting spot back at linebacker. But, more importantly, the two need to back up Boren's belief. If either player slips up off the field, the university will look like it wasn't hard enough on either player in letting them return for 2015.

Nick Bromberg is the assistant editor of Dr. Saturday on Yahoo Sports. Have a tip? Email him at [email protected] or follow him on Twitter!

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Tear Down This Wall's Avatar
    vCash

Re: OU president believes Mixon and Shannon will be 'better people'

Quote Originally Posted by milesl View Post
    http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-...211432367.html

Nick Bromberg By Nick Bromberg

Oklahoma president David Boren believes two Sooners returning to the team in 2015 have learned from their punishments.

Linebacker Frank Shannon and running back Joe Mixon are set to be on the Oklahoma roster after suspensions in 2014. Mixon was suspended after punching a female student while Shannon was suspended for violating the school's Title IX sexual misconduct policy.

“I think part of being an educational institution is that you have to have discipline when it’s required,” Boren told the Tulsa World. “With good parenting, punishment is required sometimes. Most of us have been on the receiving end of that from our parents and we’re better people for it. I think they’ll be better people because they’re on the receiving end of punishment.”

Mixon rejoined the team in February. A heralded recruit, he missed the entire 2014 season after the incident, which occurred in July and was captured on surveillance footage. According to police affadavits, the woman had multiple facial fractures.

Mixon reached a plea deal in October that entailed a one-year deferred sentence and community service. While he practiced with the team in the spring he didn't play in the spring game.

He was a five-star recruit in the class of 2014 and the No. 8 prospect overall according to Rivals.

While he was suspended by the university after an investigation, Shannon was never prosecuted. He was suspended for the school year in August 2014 and reinstated in June. Shannon had 92 tackles, two sacks and an interception in 2013.

“Both of the two individuals have shown great attitudes. They’ve gone through what they were supposed to go through,” Boren said. “I’ve watched Mixon because he’s been here and I’ve been able to see him more. Discipline, academic wise, he’s done really well. He and Shannon with their colleagues have been great out there. I think they’ve gone the extra mile.

“To me, it’s over. It’s just like being a parent. Sometimes you have to punish but then you still care about people. Then you give them every advantage to work their way back into the fold. They’ve done that.”

The return of both players is obviously a big boost to Oklahoma's Big 12 title chances. Mixon could be the primary backup to Samaje Perine at running back and Shannon could get his starting spot back at linebacker. But, more importantly, the two need to back up Boren's belief. If either player slips up off the field, the university will look like it wasn't hard enough on either player in letting them return for 2015.

Nick Bromberg is the assistant editor of Dr. Saturday on Yahoo Sports. Have a tip? Email him at [email protected] or follow him on Twitter!
    Well, neither one of them said "n*gger" so they could obviously be given second chances. Saying "n*gger" is worse than a man breaking a woman's face or a possible sexual assault.

Boren is right on this one.
    "General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"
    President Ronald Reagan at the Berlin Wall, June 12, 1987

SoonerFans.com Elite Member KantoSooner's Avatar
    vCash

The world is a better place because you make no meaningful decisions.
    "I don't know karate, but I know ka-razor!" - James Brown

In Mixon's case, I recall vaguely similar things being uttered by Tom Osborne about Lawrence Phillips.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Mazeppa's Avatar
    vCash

I just hope they are "better football players".

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by limey_sooner View Post
    In Mixon's case, I recall vaguely similar things being uttered by Tom Osborne about Lawrence Phillips.
    Guessing EVERYBODY would be totally shocked to see Mixon being anywhere near the thug that Phillips was.
    Put a lid on it! Kiss it goodbye. We gave it away, and apparently thought it made sense to do so.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Mazeppa View Post
    I just hope they are "better football players".
    Won't matter if they can't stay on the field.

vCash

This is the same President who refuses to return stolen Nazi art to the rightful Jewish owners. 'Better people' indeed.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member FaninAma's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Tear Down This Wall View Post
    Well, neither one of them said "n*gger" so they could obviously be given second chances. Saying "n*gger" is worse than a man breaking a woman's face or a possible sexual assault.

Boren is right on this one.
    In Boren's world you only deserve 2nd chances if you have the right skin color and can bring in $$$$ to the University. Best decision I made regarding OU football was deciding to drop my $1500 a year donation. 2nd best decision was allowing my season tickets to lapse. Boren is a politician and will always be a politician. He doesn't do anything unless the PC winds or money favor the action.

BTW, lest I get accused of being a redneck racist I am on record as saying Shannon deserved a second chance. Mixon? Not so much.
    Beware the man who would rule you for your own good. He will never cease. He will regulate every aspect of your life, destroy your liberty and enslave you, and sleep well convinced that he has made the world a better place.

vCash

Shannon deserves a second chance? With who? The girl that rejected him?

The fact that you think this is serious enough to call it a second chance makes me think you're a redneck racist.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Eielson View Post

The fact that you think this is serious enough to call it a second chance makes me think you're a redneck racist.
    I know Faninama, and while he's pretty rednecky, he's not a racist...

I am. Well at least some ignorant people think I am and that's good enough for me.

Oh shut up boren. Shannon was never proven to have done anything wrong.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member swardboy's Avatar
    vCash

Happy 5th of July Dean, you old racist.
    "I'm going to request that you stop posting in this thread." - circa 2008
    "Why does there have to be so much immature stuff on here?" - circa 2010

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Sooner in Tampa's Avatar
    vCash

Holy crap...Dean's cranky a$$ makes an appearance!!

He must have taken a break from watching Big Brother...

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Beanbag View Post
    Six stitches is a pretty decent sized gash.
    Quote Originally Posted by OUthunder View Post
    To hell with Nebraska...they are overrated and irrelevant.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerForLife92 View Post
    Neither was OJ.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member FaninAma's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Eielson View Post

WTF are you talking about? Obviously Shannon violated the student conduct code just like the frat guys who got kicked off campus. Apparently, as TDTW pointed out, some violations are more serious than others. And only idiots think using the term racist suffices for a well thought out opinion.
    Beware the man who would rule you for your own good. He will never cease. He will regulate every aspect of your life, destroy your liberty and enslave you, and sleep well convinced that he has made the world a better place.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Tear Down This Wall's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by FaninAma View Post
    WTF are you talking about? Obviously Shannon violated the student conduct code just like the frat guys who got kicked off campus. Apparently, as TDTW pointed out, some violations are more serious than others. And only idiots think using the term racist suffices for a well thought out opinion.
    Thank you. Post of the Year, if not Post of the Decade. Especially because I'm married to a minority.

Stupid. You can't fix stupid. They've got everyone younger than 35 years old fixed on the word "racism" and they have no clue what it means.
    "General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"
    President Ronald Reagan at the Berlin Wall, June 12, 1987

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerForLife92 View Post
    Yes he was - by the title IX committee. Not saying they were right, but we'll never know the basis.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by FaninAma View Post
    Apparently I'm too stupid to keep up with you in conversation. That's just as well, though, as I don't really want to converse with a redneck racist.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Tear Down This Wall View Post
    Thank you. Post of the Year, if not Post of the Decade. Especially because I'm married to a minority.

Stupid. You can't fix stupid. They've got everyone younger than 35 years old fixed on the word "racism" and they have no clue what it means.
    It's not just the young generations who are clueless about this. I see plenty of 50-something folks bandying the word about without having a single clue what it really means.

I try to explain it like this: There's racism, and then there's prejudice. There's not a whole lot of folks who are racist, but everyone is prejudiced. Against something/someone.

A racist hates an entire race of people irregardless. If you're white, you must be bad. If you're black, you must be bad. Simply put, a racist isn't capable of thinking. There's a lot of stupid people, but not very many that are that close minded.

Prejudice, OTOH, is a whole other animal. I'm prejudiced as ****. I hate thieves, liars, lazy people, rioters, looters, and the people who feel these folks are justified in what they do because they were somehow wronged. If I see a group of young black thug-looking dudes on the corner I automatically assume "up to no damn good right there." I have a preconceived notion based on life experience that it would probably be wiser to cross the street and avoid them.

Ignorant people call that racism.