Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member FaninAma's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Let's stir it up a bit

Quote Originally Posted by Tear Down This Wall View Post
    Really? Then why did the Pac-12 turn us down in 2011 as a solo deal after Texas jumped ship on the package?

The Pac-12 wanted Texas, first and foremost. They would have taken us along with them. They did not want any other school tagging along. And, they didn't want us solo without Texas.

It's likely still that way for the Pac-12.

SEC was a different story. They would have taken us in a heartbeat had Boren and Castiglione not overplayed the Pac-12 hand that they didn't know would blow up on them. They needed a school to level out taking on Texas A&M, so much so that they took crappy Mizzou when Boren and Castiglione brushed them off.

Stupid. Boren and Castiglione not understanding what the Pac-12 really wanted was horrible. How disconnected from your fellow university presidents and athletic directors do you have to be that not even one will back channel you to warn that it's Texas or no one?

Awful. Then, to stick us with TCU and West Virginia. You talk about being reactive versus being proactive.
    The Pac-12 took Utah and Colorado but did not want OU? Ummm, OK. I think Boren nixed the deal when Texas didn't go to the Pac-12. Boren has made some really ignorant decisions regarding conference affiliation recently.
    Beware the man who would rule you for your own good. He will never cease. He will regulate every aspect of your life, destroy your liberty and enslave you, and sleep well convinced that he has made the world a better place.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Tear Down This Wall's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by FaninAma View Post
    The Pac-12 took Utah and Colorado but did not want OU? Ummm, OK. I think Boren nixed the deal when Texas didn't go to the Pac-12. Boren has made some really ignorant decisions regarding conference affiliation recently.
    That's not how it went down, though. When the Pac-12 and Texas couldn't agree on what to do about Longhorn Network, Pac-12 pulled the plug on the deal - which surprised us at the time.

Boren and Castiglione tried to continue to negotiate causing the Pac-12 commissioner to release a public statement saying that the Pac-12 was staying put.

Pac-12 has always been about getting Texas on board, not us. SEC wanted us on board, and we snubbed them. It is as stupid now as it was then.

If we really do have the SEC door opening to us again, we need to quit f*cking around and take it. Adding sh*thole programs like Houston, UCF, or USF is vomit.
    "General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"
    President Ronald Reagan at the Berlin Wall, June 12, 1987

SoonerFans.com Elite Member swardboy's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Tear Down This Wall View Post

If we really do have the SEC door opening to us again, we need to quit f*cking around and take it. Adding sh*thole programs like Houston, UCF, or USF is vomit.
    Yeah.....Diarrhea dog pooo!
    "I'm going to request that you stop posting in this thread." - circa 2008
    "Why does there have to be so much immature stuff on here?" - circa 2010

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Sabanball's Avatar
    vCash

You guys have a great football product--one of the best, in fact--there's no doubt. But we don't need enhancement in that area, and you have more in common with the Midwest and Far West than you do with the traditional Deep South. Remember too, money from upcoming, yet to be negotiated tv contracts is the driver here--It's all about eyeballs and tv sets, and adding Oklahoma with its just under 4 million population compared to the population centers in NC and Va is what convinces me more than anything that you guys will end up out west. heck, even if you throw in the D/FW area as part of your tv market it's still no comparison.

Personally, I'd love to have you guys, but it ain't gonna happen.
    Oklahoma will begin working with the Pacific Institute after the 2009 season.

"(Oklahoma coach) Bob Stoops' words to me were, 'I want exactly what Alabama got,'" Institute instructor Antowaine Richardson said.

The University of Alabama --All-Time leader with 10 AP NC's in the modern era and back-to-back AP NC's 3 times (64/65, 78/79, 11/12)

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerorLater's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sabanball View Post
    You guys have a great football product--one of the best, in fact--there's no doubt. But we don't need enhancement in that area, and you have more in common with the Midwest and Far West than you do with the traditional Deep South. Remember too, money from upcoming, yet to be negotiated tv contracts is the driver here--It's all about eyeballs and tv sets, and adding Oklahoma with its just under 4 million population compared to the population centers in NC and Va is what convinces me more than anything that you guys will end up out west. heck, even if you throw in the D/FW area as part of your tv market it's still no comparison.

Personally, I'd love to have you guys, but it ain't gonna happen.
    This is why you might be wrong. Large TV markets are great......if people actually turn on the TV and watch. This is the most recent ratings I can find. Notice no VA or NC markets

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2...market_fo.html

vCash

Err... except for Charlotte, Norfolk, Richmond and Raleigh-Durham. But they are all 4 below both OKC and Tulsa.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by jiminy View Post
    Err... except for Charlotte, Norfolk, Richmond and Raleigh-Durham. But they are all 4 below both OKC and Tulsa.
    I guess I should have clarified, the top 10 in the article.

vCash

Cool Re: Let's stir it up a bit

3 years ago when the window was open, I thought conditions and circumstances were right for OU to accept an invitation to the sec, and I was enthusiasticly for it. I thought your president was extremely short-sighted in his decision when Mike Slive came with hat in hand to offer you guys membership and even said that here and caught a lot of flack for it. Now, though, circumstances are quite different and I have yet to hear a compelling argument that would convince me that the SEC is revisiting this--especially given Boren's well-documented derogatory comments about sec academics and your own head coach's continued verbal crusade against the sec. Of course, I could be wrong. We will see how it plays out. Sometimes these things pan out like we least expect.
    The end game as I see it---we are evolving into 4 super conferences whether we agree with it or not, and I believe the big 12 is on life support, will eventually disband, and that at this time it would behoove OU to make the best deal that it can with the PAC 12.

Besides, we could never meet in the NC game for all the marbles if we were both beating each other's brains out each season in the sec west.
    Last edited by Sabanball; 7/2/2015 at 09:20 PM.

"(Oklahoma coach) Bob Stoops' words to me were, 'I want exactly what Alabama got,'" Institute instructor Antowaine Richardson said.

The University of Alabama --All-Time leader with 10 AP NC's in the modern era and back-to-back AP NC's 3 times (64/65, 78/79, 11/12)

vCash

That's kinda the point with us Sabanball...we always beat Bama. it would be our pleasure to take Bama out of the national conversation every year by beating your brains out in the regular season. Yeah, that's the ticket...

SoonerFans.com Elite Member King Crimson's Avatar
    vCash

this will be unpopular, but i don't see why the SEC is snotty tooth about OSU. they have a top 25 type program as long as turkey neck t. boone has money and Gundy is a good coach. basketball is a NCAA first round type program with Ford. OSU is good if not great at the spring non-revenue sports that are big in the South....golf, baseball.

what Oklahoma doesn't have is population density.....so, that's an issue vis a vis fannies in front of tv's paying ad revenue....which is all about. that was the end of the Big 8. not enough fannies buying dominoes pizzas and wings in OK and NE and Iowa and Kansas...even tho lord knows we got fatasses that try. nebraska and colorado were top 10 programs, winning almost half of the MNC's in the 90's...we sucked but are going to be back.....the big 8 was sending 5 teams to the NCAA tournament....but, there just wasn't tv revenue. athletically, the conference was one of the best across the board....but, money is the game now and that means population density and ad revenues and the epsn tv deal and media markets.

losing MU, CU, and NU were a big hit....i think the Big XII has kinda held the dike thus far. losing ATM is ok with me, buncha wankers and i'm not sure i believe in Sumlin. in the long run, Texas needs to get better under Strong (i'll take a shower now) and we'll need to not screw up replacing Stoops.

and while 5 years ago i thought the SEC was a good move for us.....we aren't a Pac 10 type thing...it was unpopular with fans.....now, i can easily live without that SEC circle jerk.
    Last edited by King Crimson; 7/3/2015 at 03:35 PM.
    “someone's controlling the vibes!"--apache dropout

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by King Crimson View Post
    this will be unpopular, but i don't see why the SEC is snotty tooth about OSU. they have a top 25 type program as long as turkey neck t. boone has money and Gundy is a good coach. basketball is a NCAA first round type program with Ford. OSU is good if not great at the spring non-revenue sports that are big in the South....golf, baseball.

what Oklahoma doesn't have is population density.....so, that's an issue vis a vis fannies in front of tv's paying ad revenue....which is all about. that was the end of the Big 8. not enough fannies buying dominoes pizzas and wings in OK and NE and Iowa and Kansas...even tho lord knows we got fatasses that try. nebraska and colorado were top 10 programs, winning almost half of the MNC's in the 90's...we sucked but are going to be back.....the big 8 was sending 5 teams to the NCAA tournament....but, there just wasn't tv revenue. athletically, the conference was one of the best across the board....but, money is the game now and that means population density and ad revenues and the epsn tv deal and media markets.

losing MU, CU, and NU were a big hit....i think the Big XII has kinda held the dike thus far. losing ATM is ok with me, buncha wankers and i'm not sure i believe in Sumlin. in the long run, Texas needs to get better under Strong (i'll take a shower now) and we'll need to not screw up replacing Stoops.

and while 5 years ago i thought the SEC was a good move for us.....we aren't a Pac 10 type thing...it was unpopular with fans.....now, i can easily live without that SEC circle jerk.

I think the population thing is way overblown. If that was the largest criteria, everybody conference president would be falling all over themselves to add Northern Illinois and Rice. The product you put on the field is the main component that drives television viewership. It doesn't end at the state border.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Joining the PAC 12 seems like a horrible idea from a travel/time-zone standpoint. As much as 11 AM kickoffs suck, I think 10 PM kickoffs would be even worse. And while they have some strong programs, there are no natural rivalries or anything to get excited about. SEC seems to make more a lot more sense in almost every way possible, but maybe it's harder now to make that work than it was the last time this came up.

Either way, I think it's clear that the Big 12 is not a long-term solution. The worst case scenario would be to end up on the outside looking in when the next round of re-alignment happens.
    Last edited by graphster; 7/3/2015 at 04:24 PM.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Soonerfan88's Avatar
    vCash

Sorry sabanball & other SEC lovers, don't care if I do offend.

I absolutely do not want to join the SEC. I know that the $100 handshakes are impossible to stop but the SEC takes cheating to an entire different level and no argument about lack of findings in NCAA investigation will change my opinion. I don't want to see OU associated with that type of behavior again. Since it's impossible to get the old gang back together, I prefer OU go to the PAC.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerorLater View Post
    This is why you might be wrong. Large TV markets are great......if people actually turn on the TV and watch. This is the most recent ratings I can find. Notice no VA or NC markets

Not true. It's based on cable subscriptions--not who is watching.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Orlando and Tampa Bay are on there!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
    Orlando and Tampa Bay are on there!
    Hey I think you are on to something. According to Sabanball "It's based on cable subscriptions--not who is watching". So what do you think? The Big 12 adds UCF, USF, Northern Illinois, Rice, Eastern Michigan and UC Fullerton and we just wait for that money to start rolling in.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Hey I think you are on to something. According to Sabanball "It's based on cable subscriptions--not who is watching". So what do you think? The Big 12 adds UCF, USF, Northern Illinois, Rice, Eastern Michigan and UC Fullerton and we just wait for that money to start rolling in.
    Why would we want Rice? Silly.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
    Why would we want Rice? Silly.
    Ladies and gentlemen, place your trays up, fasten your seat belts, and make sure your sarcasm meters are in the "On" position.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

I don't want to join the SEC, hope we never join the SEC, and if, fates forbid, we ever do, I am not going to chant their d@mn initials.
    Ukraine: Not Our Fight.

More epicycles!

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Tear Down This Wall's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by graphster View Post
    Joining the PAC 12 seems like a horrible idea from a travel/time-zone standpoint. As much as 11 AM kickoffs suck, I think 10 PM kickoffs would be even worse. And while they have some strong programs, there are no natural rivalries or anything to get excited about. SEC seems to make more a lot more sense in almost every way possible, but maybe it's harder now to make that work than it was the last time this came up.

Either way, I think it's clear that the Big 12 is not a long-term solution. The worst case scenario would be to end up on the outside looking in when the next round of re-alignment happens.
    Was totally against the Pac-12 in 2011. But, never in my worst nightmares did I imagine we'd be bringing in TCU and West Virginia...or, flirting with the idea of bringing on Houston, Central Florida, or South Florida.

It's tough to imagine the situation getting any better. These days, the Pac-12 as a landing spot looks fine compared to what we'd be leaving behind. At this point, I'd accept an invitation to any of the other four conferences - Pac-12, SEC, Big Ten, or ACC.
    "General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"
    President Ronald Reagan at the Berlin Wall, June 12, 1987