View Poll Results: Who should the Big 12 invite for membership?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Notre Dame

8 38.10%
  • BYU

9 42.86%
  • A former Big 12 team (Neb, Miz, A&M or Colo)

7 33.33%
  • A non-Power 5 team (i.e. AAC or C-USA)

3 14.29%
  • SEC team

4 19.05%
  • Big Ten team

1 4.76%
  • ACC team

3 14.29%
  • Pac-12 team

2 9.52%
  • None. Stay at 10 teams

2 9.52%
  • OU, because OU should leave the Big 12

5 23.81%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

Poll: Which teams do you want in the Big 12?

David Boren has suggested its time for the Big 12 to be 12 teams again... but only with the "right partners."
    http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextr...9be6bdc21.html

Who do you think the right partner(s) is/are? Vote away! If you have a conference favorite, please specify in the comments

vCash

Re: Poll: Which teams do you want in the Big 12?

My wish list:
    1- Notre Dame and BYU to add to our religious school affiliation. but I suspect both will turn it down so
    2- Invite back Nebraska, Missouri and Colorado, in that order. Eff Texas A&M, that bridge has been burned. But they may say no too so...
    3- Arkansas and LSU if they're sick of being left out of the conference title/national title picture year after year due to Alabama schools always beating them. But they probably like their tradition and region so after they say no...
    4- The Arizona schools, U of A and ASU. They were what made the Pac 8 the Pac 10 and would probably lose no Cali recruiting ties with the move, and gain a Texas pipeline.

I suspect all of the above will say no, but it's a place to start.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Tear Down This Wall's Avatar
    vCash

Voted for the last one because I'd love for OU to leave. I opposed to move to the Pac-12 in 2011. But, the way things have turned out, I would now beg into the Pac-12 to get out of the Southwest Conference II nightmare that Texas has rebuilt.

The most disheartening talk of all is the suggestion that Houston and Central Florida might be in the mix. How far has a conference fallen when it thinks replacements for Nebraska and Texas A&M are the like of Houston and Central Florida? It's sickening enough to be in a conference with Baylor and TCU. Houston? It's like how many more times will the dog vomit when he's sick?

It's like some nine year old kid with EA Sports' College Football is controlling the process.
    "General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"
    President Ronald Reagan at the Berlin Wall, June 12, 1987

vCash

Back in the day, my dream scenario was to kick Baylor and Texas Tech out and just invite Arkansas to take their place.

A nice bonus would have been to have Kansas and Mizzou go to the Big Ten where they could probably compete better in football, and have more basketball competition than they got out of the Big 12.

That would have left the Big "12" at nine teams. But, it's a nine team conference I would have taken. You'd be looking at four to five out of conference games, probably seven home games per season.

Arkansas
    Colorado
    Iowa State
    Kansas State
    Nebraska
    Oklahoma
    Oklahoma State
    Texas
    Texas A&M
    "General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Tear Down This Wall View Post
    Back in the day, my dream scenario was to kick Baylor and Texas Tech out and just invite Arkansas to take their place.

A nice bonus would have been to have Kansas and Mizzou go to the Big Ten where they could probably compete better in football, and have more basketball competition than they got out of the Big 12.

That would have left the Big "12" at nine teams. But, it's a nine team conference I would have taken. You'd be looking at four to five out of conference games, probably seven home games per season.

Arkansas
    Colorado
    Iowa State
    Kansas State
    Nebraska
    Oklahoma
    Oklahoma State
    Texas
    Texas A&M
    Arkansas wouldn't have joined the Big XII if you collectively seized every red cent physically present in Texas and Oklahoma, loaded it into hundreds and hundreds of armored trucks, and sent it straight to Fayettville. Thinking that's a viable plan is bat**** crazy but, well, the source...

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Get rid of Texas, and all of the teams that left would come back. Texas A&M had finally had enough, and so had Nebraska and Mizzoo

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SicEmBaylor View Post
    Arkansas wouldn't have joined the Big XII if you collectively seized every red cent physically present in Texas and Oklahoma, loaded it into hundreds and hundreds of armored trucks, and sent it straight to Fayettville. Thinking that's a viable plan is bat**** crazy but, well, the source...
    Yeah, I know. In the alternative, pre-1995, I'd have tried to get Arkansas to jump to the Big 8 instead of the SEC.

With the SWC already crumbling at that point, you figure Texas and A&M would probably have eventually been invited to the SEC. A&M already had a pretty good series going with LSU at that point. Texas was in the midst of a dry spell on the gridiron, but still held the cards politically.

Forming the Big 12 was probably the worst thing Texas could have done to itself from a competitive standpoint. They'd have been forced to compete in the SEC, and likely would have done well. To me, Texas in the SEC would be like another Alabama. A&M like another LSU or Auburn.

The Big 12 concept was decent except for the weird inclusion of Baylor and Texas Tech. All the Big 8 really needed to do was have Texas and A&M added with the SWC crumbling.

The old SWC could have stayed together and, maybe, invited other crappy schools in with it - Tulsa or UTEP. Maybe Louisiana Tech. All range from crappy to sometimes mediocre, which is what the SWC had become.
    Last edited by Tear Down This Wall; 6/29/2015 at 11:22 AM.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 deweydw's Avatar
    vCash

I went with BYU. Bronco wants in the conference.

"We would love to be in the Big 12," Mendenhall told the Austin American-Statesman newspaper. "I would love to be a member of that conference. I think that would make a lot of sense."
    The story is a year old, but they may still want in.
    "Destiny dressed you this morning, my friend. And now fear is trying to pull off your pants." "If you give up, If you give in. Then you're going to end up naked, with fear just standing there laughing at your dang unmetionables." - The Tick

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

I can think of a lot of teams we should invite. I'm not sure about how many we'd actually get, though. If we don't semi-merge with the Pac-12, I'm a fan of raiding the ACC and forming East and West divisions.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerorLater's Avatar
    vCash

Barring being able to pry away a couple of ACC Teams to join the Big 12, Boren should start making phone calls.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerorLater View Post
    Boren should start making phone calls.
    He may be old, but given the nature of his job, I bet he already makes phone calls.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Soonerfan88's Avatar
    vCash

I voted realistically for non-power 5 teams because no one is leaving the BiG, ACC, P12, or SEC for many years. I originally wanted Louisville & Cincinnati but ruined that. So now I would go with Cincinnati and UCF.

Both add new tv and recruiting areas. Cincinnati is already starting to put $$ and effort into upgrading their AD and they aren't the commuter school they were 20 years ago. UCF is in Orlando, has been getting consistently better overall in the last 10 years and has a huge alumni base to bring in the $ needed to join the facilities race.

Dreaming - the Pac 16 deal would have gone through.

vCash

In terms of plans I'm almost positive we could pull off, I like adding UCF and USF. Two schools with potential, and better access to Florida recruiting. In a few years it could help us pull in FSU, Miami, and a couple more (Duke and UNC? Clemson?) when the ACC and Big XII have their superconference showdown for the final spot.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerorLater's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
    In terms of plans I'm almost positive we could pull off, I like adding UCF and USF. Two schools with potential, and better access to Florida recruiting. In a few years it could help us pull in FSU, Miami, and a couple more (Duke and UNC? Clemson?) when the ACC and Big XII have their superconference showdown for the final spot.
    Nothing would speak to the Big 12's desperation like adding UCF and USF. We need to be gone before it ever gets to that point.

vCash

Nothing would speak to the Big 12's desperation like adding UCF and USF. We need to be gone before it ever gets to that point.
    Thank you. The Big 12 is already watered down to near-Conference USA-like crappiness.

Please, if anything, get us out of the Big 12.

vCash

Thank you. The Big 12 is already watered down to near-Conference USA-like crappiness.

Please, if anything, get us out of the Big 12.
    Every time I think you couldn't be more full of ****, you go right ahead and surprise me.

The Big XII and SEC were tied at the end of the year for the top slot in the power rankings in football.
    The Big XII had the most NCAA bids of any conference in MBB.
    The Big XII was second in NCAA power conference rankings in WBB.

vCash

SicEm, we all know that Baylor wouldn't be in the Big 12 if it weren't for former Texas governor Ann Richards and that you love Ann Richards and wish you could still vote for Ann Richards but cannot so you rewatch that Ann Richards episode of King of the Hill every day...

Anytime you want to infuriate SicEm in a Big 12 membership discussion, you know what name you should drop

vCash

Perhaps if you enjoy living in the past as badly as TDTW does. It isn't option #1, but it could be a lot worse.

vCash

Statements like these are why it's hard to take you seriously.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Expanding just to get to 12 teams seems like a bad idea. Not having a conference title game is a problem, but having a conference that's even more watered down is not going to make things much better.

The Big 12 died the moment Nebraska left. From that point on, there was no way to have a counterbalance against Texas. Replacing Missouri and Texas A&M would have been difficult, but not impossible. I don't think anybody has even noticed that Colorado left. But there are no good replacements for Nebraska (Midwestern school with strong football tradition and brand name recognition). ND would never happen, and all the other contenders are already in the Big 10. So then you either expand more in Texas or add mid-tier schools that don't even make sense geographically.

It's a stop gap until the next round of TV deals get set to expire and more re-alignment happens.