Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Re: Woods Lit a Shuck...

Quote Originally Posted by Widescreen View Post
    You are by far the most miserable person on this site. I have no idea why you keep doing this to yourself. Please go find a different hobby so you can happy.
    Amen.
    "Always" and "never" are words that should always be used sparingly and never without forethought. You're welcome.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member birddog's Avatar
    vCash

Wood

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by birddog View Post
    Wood
    Redwood.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Tear Down This Wall's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Curly Bill View Post
    I've never understood the thought that because someone isn't happy with the state of the OU football program, and voices it, that they must be miserable in their personal lives? Does that really make sense to anyone, except for perhaps a few wherein the state of the program and their thoughts on it, are in fact tied directly to the state of their personal being?

Feel free to disagree with someone about the state of the program, or their stated feelings about it, but to assume that makes them miserable is one of the lamest things that happens on this board. ...and yes we know: that says a lot!
    This is correct. But, you have to understand that many Sooner fans have become the Cult of Bob. My concern is for the program, not Bob. But, either way, only as far as a time kill for a few weekends out of the year.

Curly, you and I have been around long enough to remember when there were tons of poster to this board. It's dying, and is mostly populated now with the Cult of Bob contingency. These are the "I remember the John Blake years" people who somehow think that the only two people on earth who are allowed to coach OU's football team are John Blake or Bob Stoops.

Anyone who thinks the 2015 version of Bob Stoops is anywhere close to the 1999/2000 was probably too young to remember 1999 or anything before that anyway.
    "General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"
    President Ronald Reagan at the Berlin Wall, June 12, 1987

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Widescreen's Avatar
    vCash

Just to be clear... Just because someone doesn't push negativity in every single post does not make them a member of the "Cult of Bob". There are actually some good/fun things happening with OU football that can be discussed.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member KantoSooner's Avatar
    vCash

College Football, by its nature, is an up and down thing. To achieve and maintain excellence is well nigh impossible; and very few teams do that over any appreciable length of time.
    Because the players are firstly young and really at the beginning of their serious devotion to the sport and, secondly, because they will spend a limited time with a given program, emphasis is placed on the coaches and on the head coach in particular. If nothing else, he is the glue that holds the program together.
    So, if there's a problem with a program that lasts more than a season or so (the short term issues might be more 'one off' things like injuries, a key player checking out mentally, etc), the issue rests with the head coach. Either he's not getting it done or he's being prevented from doing so by the admin.
    It's legit to point out problems with the coaching.
    My antagonism toward those who are constantly down on the program, however, is more one of style and purpose. Once you've registered your dissatisfaction, then I think you're obligated to take one of two choices. You can admit you have no damn idea what to do to fix it; or you can make concrete suggestions. Failing that you're nothing more than cranky kids complaining that they're booooooooooored.

We don't like the job Bob's doing? Fine. So, who? I'd really like to know more about hot young prospects. Since Meyer and Saban are not available and all. Justin Fuentes? Talk to me about people I've never heard of. Make the board interesting and informative.

So-called sunshine pumpers may strike some as inane. Likewise, the sour negativity endlessly spouted by some, without any ideas being offered or analysis given, is tedious and equally mindless. And at least the sunshine boys have good spirit and politeness to recommend them. I'd frankly rather spend my time with smiling idiots than with idiots who pluck at the air and snarl.
    "I don't know karate, but I know ka-razor!" - James Brown

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Sooner in Tampa's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Widescreen View Post
    Just to be clear... Just because someone doesn't push negativity in every single post does not make them a member of the "Cult of Bob". There are actually some good/fun things happening with OU football that can be discussed.
    ^THIS

I am not a "Cult of Bob" member...I am a Cult of Sooners member. I know that I get very frustrated with some of the things that Bob and his staff do...but that doesn't mean that I think everyone should be fired and start over again. Now, another 4 loss season and I am not sure how I will feel about the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Beanbag View Post
    Six stitches is a pretty decent sized gash.
    Quote Originally Posted by OUthunder View Post
    To hell with Nebraska...they are overrated and irrelevant.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    Wishing I was moving to Monroe, Oklahoma...
    vCash

So... A question back on topic. If Mr. Woods decides that either he has sowed his wild oats and ready to hunker down or if he decides he wants to be back in Norman, does Bob let him back? or has he become tainted and will be given a release?
    Everything progressives do is aimed at weakening democracy, capitalism and the social and cultural institutions that support those things...... They are about subjugating people and being a ruling class.

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

Redwood
    He needs to make it so that this can be his nickname...

You are by far the most miserable person on this site
    The way last season ended almost justifies this state of being.

"Cult of Bob"
    The OU Caravan appearances thus far would get the anti-cult of bob fired up. Excerpts:
    “Optimism about the offensive line? Remember two years ago, we didn’t have a defensive line,” Stoops said. “Right? Remember? All right. Well now, same thing, we have an offensive line. They’ll be fine. We have plenty of guys coming up that are ready to play and play well.

“Okay? Careful what you listen to. They have to sell you the negative, right? It amazes me how so many people bite on that. Really?”
    http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextr...891761cad.html

On the quarterback situation: “I was looking to announce that tonight. I marvel how at everybody knows. In the end, there is so much time between now and our first game and how they perform and work through all the summer workouts and training. And then there’s 29 practices before the first game. We’re going to make sure there’s great competition and we find out who is being the most consistent and who is making the most plays, maybe when one isn’t there. Who can avoid the disastrous play that can beat you. That’s important. So we’re going to continue to watch them and evaluate them.”
    http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextr...bef933ff8.html

If Mr. Woods decides that either he has sowed his wild oats and ready to hunker down or if he decides he wants to be back in Norman, does Bob let him back?
    The mystery continues as to why *Redwood* left. If it's a legit emergency, of course. As it stands, he's the only Class of 2015 recruiting class member to not report to OU yet. Not a good sign.

Sooner Starter Since71ASooner4Life's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Tear Down This Wall View Post
    This is correct. But, you have to understand that many Sooner fans have become the Cult of Bob. My concern is for the program, not Bob. But, either way, only as far as a time kill for a few weekends out of the year.

Curly, you and I have been around long enough to remember when there were tons of poster to this board. It's dying, and is mostly populated now with the Cult of Bob contingency. These are the "I remember the John Blake years" people who somehow think that the only two people on earth who are allowed to coach OU's football team are John Blake or Bob Stoops.

Anyone who thinks the 2015 version of Bob Stoops is anywhere close to the 1999/2000 was probably too young to remember 1999 or anything before that anyway.

I've done my share of bitching around here the last few years over the disappointing results - versus the extremely high expectations we have here. But to talk about a coach who has taken teams to 4 NC games in 15 years as though he were incompetent is ridiculous. Unless of course you think that we just get such supreme athletes here that things kind of run themselves regardless. I'm disappointed as hell myself, but I think you guys who want to lynch Bob Stoops are a bit out of touch with reality.

Other than Saban and Meyer who are arguably the two best coaches (and Pete Carrol who Stoops also lost an NC game to), who in your mind is more credentialed than Bob Stoops, and by what measure do you reach that conclusion? If you want to talk about the fact that he hasn't been to an NC game since 2008 season, who since then other than Saban and Meyer has been much better, and what exactly have their accomplishments been? Based on results Stoops hasn't been a top 5 coach since 2008, but he's hardly been a guy that deserves to be fired.

vCash

You sunshine pumping bastard!

vCash

a coach who has taken teams to 4 NC games in 15 years
    Remember when Bob Stoops was a coach who had taken OU to 4 NC games in 10 years, not 15 years?

*ducks*

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Tear Down This Wall's Avatar
    vCash

It's like listening to Mack Brown telling everyone, "We beat OU five of the last nine years I was there." Yeah, great. But, you also had your as*s handed to you by the likes of Iowa State, posted a losing season for the first time in over a decade, and were wallowing around in 4-5 loss territory every year - with the most money of any program in the country and best facilities to boot!

I don't care what Bob Stoops did in 2000, it's 2015. He had his as*s handed to him in the 2003 and 2004 titles games, and pissed away the 2008. It was seven seasons ago that we sniffed a national title, 15 since we've won one...the second longest drought in our history since the AP began officially ranking.

I don't give a crap what Bob did in the past. He personally pissed away the Oklahoma State game, then got his as*s handed to him again in a bowl game - a mid-level, half-as*sed bowl game - by a team that was down to their THIRD string quarterback!

Okay? The early 00s Bob Stoop the Defensive Genius is long gone. Buried years ago under a hail of on the field f*ck ups against Kansas State in 2003, USC in 2004, and Texas the two year after that. Being blown out by West Virginia in a bowl game...f'ing lilly white fullback going 60+ yards. Pissing away a bowl game against broke-dick Boise State. The list goes on in the ensuing years culminating in the Clemson donkey-ra*pe of game. Sickening.

He's done. We are staring at a season where we've got no viable quarterback, an inexperienced line, coaches from all manner of mediocre programs, and running small school, **** ant offense and defense. Okay? It's no good.

I'll bitch as much as I please. I've been a season ticket holder for 21 years, and I spend money on it. It's a hobby. And, until it gets fixed, I'll bitch about it. And, withhold money for the stadium campaign and all other things the schools sends to those of us that give.

OU football, to those of us who donate and have season tickets, is not like the government - we are not going to endlessly subsidize mediocrity to the point where mediocrity becomes the standard. Leave the "We've Qualified For A Bowl Game" mentality to the Texas Techs and Arkansas' of the world.

I don't want OU clown as*sing around with my money just because a guy won a title 15 years ago and got his as*s kicked in three others, but...seven years ago.

It's over. If he runs that same bullsh*t out there again in 2015, the money is going to get restless. The Cult of Bobers will protest as long and loud as the Cult of Mackers did at Texas. But, these positions are not entitlement programs. Quit f*cking around and win. You've got more money than 90% of the programs out there. There is no excuse.
    "General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"
    President Ronald Reagan at the Berlin Wall, June 12, 1987

vCash

Let's grant all that you say, Tear.
    What's to be done, then? Who to replace him? I might go get my pitchfork and torch if I had a name to slot into The Bobber's little holder thingie on the door of his office.
    Or is your complaint more on the order of a child wailing over an unidentified 'something' that's 'not right'?

vCash

I have empathy for those that spend tons of money on this OU football thing and expect to get better results than 8 wins in a season, especially since I'll likely cut cable and watch even less this coming season.

If I were an angry fan that wanted Stoops to win or leave, I could rest easy knowing that Joe C. will not throw $10 million at Saban, Jimbo and both Harbaughs. Rather, I could simply say, "He found a college coordinator on the rise once, he can do it again."

Simple when you think about it like that, isn't it? And not unprecedented, since Florida State did that fairly recently when they ousted... a longtime national championship winning coach that overstayed his welcome. Ooooo, dang, this pipedream might just turn into a pipebomb.

#BOOM!

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

I see a unique correlation to strong winds of discontent. Explains a lot.

I hope Mr. Wood gets his head right and makes it in Norman. It would be a great experience for him if that's what he wants to do.

vCash

And, Badger, I hope we do hire a coordinator on the rise when we ultimately replace Bob. I'm just curious as to whom that candidate would be. And I assume that there are people on this board who have some ideas. I would like to hear them due to the fact that I like thinking about football and since there's no football being played right now.

vCash

NFL.com named off a top 15 list... which some on here might immediately discredit because Brent Venables is No. 10
    http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap3000000495698

Athlon did a list of top coaches (head and assistant) under age 40:
    http://athlonsports.com/college-foot...aches-under-40

They're both good places to start. If Memphis' Justin Fuente (former Tulsa Union, OU quarterback) continues to win, he'll be the hottest candidate out there for a Power 5 job. Texas A&M Aggies are starting to sour on Jake Spavital (another former Tulsa Union QB) due to whatever happened to Kenny "Trill" last season, so time will tell on that one.

Gun to the head? I'd say Fuente.

vCash

Those are good lists. I guess I was looking for more 'outside the box' candidates...but then there are only going to be 125 or so coordinators who are 'above average' by definition.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Widescreen's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Tear Down This Wall View Post
    And, until it gets fixed, I'll bitch about it.
    I'm sure you will, Johnny One-Note.