Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: McCarthy?

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

McCarthy?

From another thread you referenced that Coulter was correct about McCarthy. I respect your views. Can you elaborate?

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    Wishing I was moving to Monroe, Oklahoma...
    vCash

Re: McCarthy?

I don't know much about the era specifically, but a new story I read recently spoke of underground communist or progressive cells maneuvering people and plans to push their agenda. Many of the left intelligencia may be part of this, many were centered in the arts and media... Joe did seem out there, he may have been, but then all the secret stuff that has come out and the government suppression of thought through the IRS, FEC and FCC (?) makes one wonder if ole Joe wasn't on to something...
    Everything progressives do is aimed at weakening democracy, capitalism and the social and cultural institutions that support those things...... They are about subjugating people and being a ruling class.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 dwarthog's Avatar
    vCash

See the Venona Project.

Essentially she contends Mccarthy's communist witch hunt was proven to be valid with the release of the information from that project.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerorLater's Avatar
    vCash

Oh, I thought this thread about Jenny McCarthy. Never mind.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by dwarthog View Post
    See the Venona Project.

Essentially she contends Mccarthy's communist witch hunt was proven to be valid with the release of the information from that project.
    My hunch is that he was both right and wrong. His antics were out there. The deamonization of the entertainment industry is much different that hunting spies in the State Department.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerorLater View Post
    The whore of the Anti-Vax Movement...

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Tear Down This Wall's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerorLater View Post
    There are a myriad of reasons to hate MTV. One of them is giving Jenny McCarthy a pathway to the public eye.
    "General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"
    President Ronald Reagan at the Berlin Wall, June 12, 1987

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Tear Down This Wall View Post
    There are a myriad of reasons to hate MTV. One of them is giving Jenny McCarthy a pathway to the public eye.
    That could do more harm than obamacare.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Serenity Now View Post
    That could do more harm than obamacare.
    ---Doubtful

vCash

From another thread you referenced that Coulter was correct about McCarthy. I respect your views. Can you elaborate?
    I meant to name sic'em in the original thread. I hope there's a joe McCarthy garden party story.

vCash

I meant to name sic'em in the original thread. I hope there's a joe McCarthy garden party story.
    There's more disinformation surrounding McCarthy than truth. A great example is my HS Civics textbook which criticized McCarthy's HUAC committee (redundant, I know) for dragging innocent actors and actresses to DC and ruining their careers. I pointed out that McCarthy was a United States Senator and did not/could not chair a *House* committee. There's no defending dragging private citizens before House committees and running them through the wringer whether they were Communist or not.

However, McCarthy was almost exclusively interested in members of the State/Defense Departments that had top-secret security clearance. These were leftover Roosevelt and Truman officials who were a little too soft on the Communists and old 'Uncle Joe' at best or outright Communist agents at worst. Now, that created something of a hysteria that spread to the civilian world and created the conditions in which HUAC operated; however, that wasn't necessarily the fault of McCarthy -- it was an unfortunate side-effect. McCarthy's work in uncovering Communist agents in the American government was important and the right thing to do at the time.

There's little I hate more on this Earth than Communism, and there were too many of them in sensitive areas of government at that time.

vCash

Having said all of that, McCarthy was a mess in his private life.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SicEmBaylor View Post
    There's more disinformation surrounding McCarthy than truth. A great example is my HS Civics textbook which criticized McCarthy's HUAC committee (redundant, I know) for dragging innocent actors and actresses to DC and ruining their careers. I pointed out that McCarthy was a United States Senator and did not/could not chair a *House* committee. There's no defending dragging private citizens before House committees and running them through the wringer whether they were Communist or not.

However, McCarthy was almost exclusively interested in members of the State/Defense Departments that had top-secret security clearance. These were leftover Roosevelt and Truman officials who were a little too soft on the Communists and old 'Uncle Joe' at best or outright Communist agents at worst. Now, that created something of a hysteria that spread to the civilian world and created the conditions in which HUAC operated; however, that wasn't necessarily the fault of McCarthy -- it was an unfortunate side-effect. McCarthy's work in uncovering Communist agents in the American government was important and the right thing to do at the time.

There's little I hate more on this Earth than Communism, and there were too many of them in sensitive areas of government at that time.
    Hell, anyone left from Roosevelt most likely truly were communist!
    Behold the pale horse. The man who sat on him was death, and Hell followed with him.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

Winner of the Nobel Peace Prize 2015.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member FaninAma's Avatar
    vCash

My hunch is that he was both right and wrong. His antics were out there. The deamonization of the entertainment industry is much different that hunting spies in the State Department.
    Because of course we all know the entertainment industry has no impact on cutural views.
    Beware the man who would rule you for your own good. He will never cease. He will regulate every aspect of your life, destroy your liberty and enslave you, and sleep well convinced that he has made the world a better place.

vCash

!
    Put a lid on it! Kiss it goodbye. We gave it away, and apparently thought it made sense to do so.

vCash

The Tea Party would welcome McCarthy with open arms if he were around today.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    haha, As If there's nothing wrong with communism.
    Put a lid on it! Kiss it goodbye. We gave it away, and apparently thought it made sense to do so.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member FaninAma's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    Why, was he against increasing federal taxes and opposed to expanding the powers of the federal government? I didn't know that about Ol' Tailgunner Joe.
    Beware the man who would rule you for your own good. He will never cease. He will regulate every aspect of your life, destroy your liberty and enslave you, and sleep well convinced that he has made the world a better place.

vCash

I think Ol' Joe was for whatever would get him re-elected. Think "theatrics".

vCash

I think Ol' Joe was for whatever would get him re-elected. Think "theatrics".
    Bingo! We have a winnah! Just have to add the leveraging of public paranoia to theatrics. Joe could update the common foe from communist to whatever would play well with fear today.