Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member swardboy's Avatar
    vCash

And another one bites the dust....adios K.J.

Sooners give WR K.J. Young the boot (NBCSPORTS.COM)

Posted by John Taylor on May 17, 2015, 3:56 PM EDT

The Oklahoma Sooners are the latest team to see some attrition hit its depth chart, although this one doesn’t involve the gaining-in-popularity graduate transfer.
    An OU spokesperson confirmed Sunday thatK.J. Young has been dismissed from Bob Stoops‘ football program. Other than the ever-present unspecified violation of team rules, no reason was given for the wide receiver being on the receiving end of his now-former head coach’s boot.

While the Sooners certainly have some talented depth at the position, the loss of Young is not an insignificant one.

In 2014, Young was fourth on the team with 19 receptions and 225 yards. Young wasa three-star member of OU’s 2013 recruiting class who took a redshirt as a true freshman.
    Young is the second OU receiver to be dismissed by Stoops in the last five months. In December, Derrick Woods found himself on the outside of the program looking in for, again, violating unspecified team rules.

He’s also the sixth member of OU’s 2013 recruiting class who’s no longer a Sooner.

"I'm going to request that you stop posting in this thread." - circa 2008
    "Why does there have to be so much immature stuff on here?" - circa 2010

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Soonerfan88's Avatar
    vCash

Re: And another one bites the dust....adios K.J.

According to the rumor mill, he failed his third drug test. I hope the weed was worth it.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Smokey Mcsmokerson......!!!
    Hey... maybe T BOONE can pony up and start a Stilleater newspaper... but the players would probably just use it to roll the weed.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Tear Down This Wall's Avatar
    vCash

Idiot. If he'd have just called some girl's boyfriend a fag and, then, broken her cheek and knocked her out, he'd have just gotten a six month "year" suspension; and, he'd still be on the team.

Kids. You'd think they'd look around at their teammates and be able to figure out what is and what isn't acceptable behavior under Stoops/Castiglione/Boren.
    "General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"
    President Ronald Reagan at the Berlin Wall, June 12, 1987

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

What is wrong with these young players? Do they not understand the disappointment their parents must feel? Forget about pro football chances, we are talking about a free education that will take care of you for life! Staying in the program (whether you ever get on the field) guarantees contacts that will help you be a success. But even Pat Jones keeps saying you can't help "knuckleheads", that they just don't get it!

I envy anyone who gets a scholarship for school, I had to work full time (40 to 50 hours a week) and go to night school for my degrees, and it took 10 years. But I know there are people that think the rules do not apply to them.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Also, Tito Windham is leaving, or transferring, or just gone.
    Put a lid on it! Kiss it goodbye. We gave it away, and apparently thought it made sense to do so.

vCash

Tito...we hardly knew ye.
    "General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Tear Down This Wall View Post
    Tito...we hardly knew ye.
    He must have been named after Marshall Tito of Yugoslavia?
    Put a lid on it! Kiss it goodbye. We gave it away, and apparently thought it made sense to do so.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone! View Post
    He must have been named after Marshall Tito of Yugoslavia?
    Tito is the equivalent of Bobby, being the diminutive name of Roberto/Robertito...little Robert, or Bobby.

Learned that in Spanish classes at OU, by the way.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member swardboy's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cvsooner View Post
    Tito is the equivalent of Bobby, being the diminutive name of Roberto/Robertito...little Robert, or Bobby.

Learned that in Spanish classes at OU, by the way.
    Proud of that edumacation you got, eh.

Why can't some QB's get kicked off the team so we don't have to wait until August to find out who the starter will be?
    "I'm going to request that you stop posting in this thread." - circa 2008
    "Why does there have to be so much immature stuff on here?" - circa 2010

vCash

haha

SoonerFans.com Elite Member KantoSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Tear Down This Wall View Post
    Idiot. If he'd have just called some girl's boyfriend a fag and, then, broken her cheek and knocked her out, he'd have just gotten a six month "year" suspension; and, he'd still be on the team.

Kids. You'd think they'd look around at their teammates and be able to figure out what is and what isn't acceptable behavior under Stoops/Castiglione/Boren.
    It's my understanding that he had to do 'this' (whatever his infraction was) three times to earn dismissal. I'd agree that smoking up is hardly as severe as punching someone; but doing it, and getting caught, three times in as many years brings some extra issues to the table.
    "I don't know karate, but I know ka-razor!" - James Brown

vCash

Hate to lose any receivers. Sure seems like there would be "a lot of opportunity" at that position.
    The enduring image of Oklahoma was that ridiculous double–middle finger of a game-icing kick. It was probably an accident, which somehow made it more, not less, insulting. It was as though Stoops had partied so hard on the corpse of the SEC that he woke up with an unplanned tattoo.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Soonerjeepman's Avatar
    vCash

couple of things...

#1 weed is illegal at this point, booze if you're under 21.
    #2 Both booze and weed IF you are a top athlete is not the smartest thing to do.
    #3 They see pro athletes do it...

#4 THE BIGGEST--- Not sure of KJ's home life, but most of these kids come from single parent, usually no dad, they just don't look very far past today. Even my GF's daughter's friend...her parents (White, upper class, both parents) have told their daughter, a Jr in HS, that's okay to smoke weed..have sex.
    How do you know if you get there, if you don't know where you are going?..oh and I had 1,713 post on the "other board"..I hate being a rookie again!

vCash

Jeep, That's why one infraction doesn't earn a dismissal. Stoops, et al, understand that some of these kids are, #1 kids and #2 might not have had the best in guidance to date.
    Repeat offenses, however, mean that the lesson hasn't sunk in and that authority is being defied. And if there's any 'rule' of keeping an organization running it's that the HMFIC should show mercy, at least once, but can never accept repeated defiance.

vCash

If feel bad for kids these days. I've got two nephews who went to school last year. One got busted for smoking dope in the dorm bathroom. And, it just didn't seem like a big deal to him.

Both nephews grew up without dads. One due to divorce. The other, the one caught with dope, never had a dad; the sperm donor abandoned his mom when he found out she was pregnant.

This kid, now that the semester is over, is living with us. I arranged with my sister-in-law to have him come work as an intern for me this summer while he sorts out "what he wants to do next" - school or work.

It's been eye-opening to see the attitude of this kid; and, I assume it's this way with most kids these days. Growing up, this kid never got in trouble. He lettered in track and was in the marching band. He was involved in church projects. His senior year, on top of all of that, got a part-time job.

But, he goes off to college and is caught with dope. I've explained to him that it doesn't matter whether or not dope is legal or illegal - it's not smart to mess with it. Same with alcohol.

It's like a new concept for him, though. They preach that it's no big deal when, really, it is. It's a brain killer and a motivation killer. And, spare me the outlier stories.

Anyway, we're in our third week, and progress - in my view - is being made. After the first week, of his own accord, he went out and got his hair cut short. It had been long and shaggy. The first day in the office, he even wore a baseball cap in backward.

I didn't tell him to cut his hair or drop the cap. I think he just kind of observed that no one else in the office - or in the office building - looked shaggy and unkempt.

Last week, he also shaved off his scraggly beard. He had one of those awful beards that kids grow out these days. Again, I didn't say anything to him. But, I can tell you that while taking him on sales calls and being at the office, he probably just saw that the professional people he was seeing during the day were clean cut.

I'm pretty enocourage by it. But, you can see how a kid like him, and like many college athletes, fall into stupid behavior. He's got no dad. Never knew his dad. Never heard anything good or bad about dope. Just kind of floated along with it until it got him in trouble.

In some ways, you have to take a kid where he is and try to square him up. With my nephew - as I suspect with most kids that Stoops gives a second chance - they square themselves up after looking around and seeing other squared up people succeeding.

Too bad K.J. Young won't get more opportunities to do that here. You hope he does somehow get the message to stop wasting his time getting wasted; and, thus, can get off with real life in a meaningful way.

vCash

Maybe weed is why our receivers have looked a bit slow on the field the last few years (outside of Shep, of course).

vCash

You and I agree on next to nothing, but you're doing the best thing a man can do right now: being a dad/uncle/big bro, whatever. Hang in there! It won't always be easy but it 'needs doing'.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by KantoSooner View Post
    Jeep, That's why one infraction doesn't earn a dismissal. Stoops, et al, understand that some of these kids are, #1 kids and #2 might not have had the best in guidance to date.
    Repeat offenses, however, mean that the lesson hasn't sunk in and that authority is being defied. And if there's any 'rule' of keeping an organization running it's that the HMFIC should show mercy, at least once, but can never accept repeated defiance.
    oh, I totally agree...just responding to the post about not understanding why these kids don't "get it"...
    How do you know if you get there, if you don't know where you are going?..oh and I had 1,713 post on the "other board"..I hate being a rookie again!

vCash

Tear...good for you.

My GF's kids were / are abandoned by their dad. He just stop seeing them, the girl when she was 15, the boy this last summer at age 9. He's such a POS. I've got a 23 and 19 yr old. The 19 yr old plays college baseball but had some issues...and is transferring to another school..his last chance. (grades not dope).

I got divorced when they were 18/15 but I always stayed in their lives, daily.