Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

Re: Keith Ford transferring

why does Mike Stoops still have a job?
    Players have been quoted as saying that Mike is being a lot less yell and a lot more quiet since last season. If seeing is believing, the spring game broadcast showed Mike upstairs in the press box using his indoor voice, rather than being his usual hyper yelling self on the sidelines.

In a nutshell, Mike's "job" is a shell of what it used to be.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    Is 10-11 wins really the going rate for a top paid coach these days in a 13, 14, potentially 15-game season? No wonder Texas fired/allowed to gracefully resign Mack Brown when he "improved" to 8 wins.
    That's an entirely different discussion. If you want to say 10-3 seasons are grounds for firing Bob, then have at it. My argument if you actually think 7-6 is a reasonable scenario for next year, and 10 wins isn't, then somebody probably pissed in your cereal.

vCash

I don't mean to sound unreasonable; 10 wins is doable. Whether or not that fires Bob is up to the big money donors that foot both the buyout and next coach's salary bills. I'm really not sure how much they like or dislike Bob. Bob's never exactly been the kiss-arse that Mack was

SoonerFans.com Elite Member KantoSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Okay, let's see where we stand:

1. Last year sucked.
    2. Our transfer/washout/dismissal rate is within a percentage point of the P5 average and 2% higher than 'Bama's. And the sky is falling and Bob needs to be fired.
    3. In a league without a CCG and setting aside the potential of going to the Natl CG (so total of 13 games) we're speculating that 10-3 and Bob's tenure needs to be seriously reviewed.

While I think that's a bit harsh, so be it. The man makes a princely salary and knew, when he took the job, that fans at ANY major football power are on the way to being certifiably insane. It goes with the territory.

All that said, let's say we get the wishes of the harsher and sh*tcan Bob. What then? We could go after some wunderkind. But no. We've all been told, ad nauseum, that such people are not up to OU's standards. (Lincoln Riley is example 'A' of this reasoning.) So, presumably, we're talking about a tried and true, established coach from a big name program, with a proven record of winning at the highest level. Let's put aside the pesky facts that none of Benny, Bud, Barry or, indeed, Bob, fit this description when they came to OU. And all they did was win Nattys.
    Who did? Well, there was Schnelly and was Jim MacKenzie. for two. They really tore it up for us.
    And if Texas couldn't buy Saban, why on earth would anyone think we could. And in an oil industry downturn, to boot.
    Who, exactly, are we going to call up on the Batphone and have romp on over immediatamente-like to bring home #8 for us? Muy pronto.
    I do not want a situation in which Bob is shown the door without him passing his replacement when the elevator doors open. And, frankly, I'm not seeing a bunch of candidates who inspire confidence out there.
    Or we could just go hire Lane Kiffin.
    It'd be about the only job in college football that he hasn't already held.
    "I don't know karate, but I know ka-razor!" - James Brown

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Tear Down This Wall's Avatar
    vCash

Um...all of those coaches came from national programs. Barry was part of Arkansas' 1964 national title coaching staff. Bob was part of the coaching staff that led Florida to a national title. Minnesota was a national power in the 1930s and 40s; Wilkinson coached there in the 40s.

We haven't hired up, okay? It's a problem. There isn't one coaching position changed that is better off now than it was last season - and, last season was bad.

It starts at the top.
    "General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"
    President Ronald Reagan at the Berlin Wall, June 12, 1987

vCash

Since this thread was originally about Keith Ford... interesting tidbit out on the Internets:

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Ford via 247 sports
    “I want to play for a coach that wants to see me succeed academically and treat me more like a man,” he said. “My last coach treated me like I was in high school. I want someone who will be straight up and really, really talk with me.”
    http://tamu.247sports.com/Bolt/Keith...at-AM-37352520

Ouch. I don't expect sunshine and roses from a guy transferring. I still don't like that being said about our coaching staff by anyone

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Tear Down This Wall View Post
    There isn't one coaching position changed that is better off now than it was last season - and, last season was bad.
    Yeah...except for the OC, WR's, and Secondary coach.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Tear Down This Wall View Post
    Um...all of those coaches came from national programs. Barry was part of Arkansas' 1964 national title coaching staff. Bob was part of the coaching staff that led Florida to a national title. Minnesota was a national power in the 1930s and 40s; Wilkinson coached there in the 40s.

We haven't hired up, okay? It's a problem. There isn't one coaching position changed that is better off now than it was last season - and, last season was bad.

It starts at the top.
    Barry was, I believe, a GA on that AR staff. Bud was a junior asst. Bob had a pedigree but had never been the HMFIC of any team at any level that I'm aware of. While you're technically correct in what you say; I'd lay money that you would trash any one of those hires if made today.

Two, how do you know whether the new coaches are worse than their predecessors? Riley worse than Josh? Gundy worse than Norvell? Really?

Allow me a quick Immelman here: let's say I accept your argument. Let's get rid of the Bobber. Who do you want to hire? And, for purposes of staying in the realms of reality, Harbaugh and Saban are off the table. And it has to be a real person, alive and in the prime of his career now. (So, for example, you could choose Landry Jones, but Tom Landry would be out of bounds).

Bitchin' is easy, fissin' is harder.

vCash

The change would happen after the season, not right now, so it would be difficult to speculate. For example, Frank Haith was coming off a 30-win Big 12 tournament champion season with a 2-seed in the NCAA tournament at Mizzou and then the next season, Tulsa hired him. If TU fans said that their ideal candidate to replace a departing Danny Manning was Frank Haith at the beginning of the season, you'd tell them they're crazy.

So go ahead and dream of a Saban, Jimbo or a Harbaugh, college football fans longing for a coaching change. Anything can happen between now and next offseason

vCash

That's the joy of the college game. With so much turn over, you're never really sure what you've got coming back and dramatic changes in performance are the rule rather than the exception.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member jkm, the stolen pifwafwi's Avatar
    vCash

Since this thread was originally about Keith Ford... interesting tidbit out on the Internets:

http://tamu.247sports.com/Bolt/Keith...at-AM-37352520

Ouch. I don't expect sunshine and roses from a guy transferring. I still don't like that being said about our coaching staff by anyone
    You are upset that one of our coaches was badgering someone about going to class? The coach was trying to quickly dig him out of a hole that he got himself into. The coach probably read this and went "WTF?"

vCash

I have no idea if the coach's discussion was about class attendance or about following your blockers. All I know is this is not the first time he's spoken about Jay Boulware publicly... but last time it was a much softer stance.
    TW: When did you decide to transfer?

Ford: “After the coaching change there, it didn’t start off right. I talked to my parents. I didn’t like the coach. We were just talking that I think I should leave. First of all, we made sure we got my grades squared away to make sure I would be eligible to transfer. We did that, and I decided to transfer away from OU.”

TW: What coach are you referring to?

Ford: “The running backs coach (Jay Boulware, who moved to running backs coach in OU’s staff change last February).”

TW: What was the problem?

Ford: “It just wasn’t the right fit. His style of coaching was not my style. I had a relationship with Coach Gundy (Cale Gundy, the running backs coach before switching to inside receivers). I really came to OU because of Coach Gundy, because I wanted to work with him. I didn’t really know this guy and his actions didn’t fit the way I wanted to be coached.”
    Maybe it was because Ford Sr. was also in on the interview?
    http://www.tulsaworld.com/blogs/spor...483c1f36e.html

SoonerFans.com Elite Member jkm, the stolen pifwafwi's Avatar
    vCash

I have no idea if the coach's discussion was about class attendance or about following your blockers. All I know is this is not the first time he's spoken about Jay Boulware publicly... but last time it was a much softer stance.
    Maybe it was because Ford Sr. was also in on the interview?
    http://www.tulsaworld.com/blogs/spor...483c1f36e.html
    In the offseason, there is a limit to how much you can talk to a student athlete about anything other than educational items (remember our NCAA violation a few years back about asking about why someone wasn't attending voluntary workouts?). Boolware had only been his coach during the offseason when he decided to transfer. 2 + 2

vCash

I like Keith Ford. I like Jay Boulware. In the sense that I like what I've seen of both. Don't know either personally. Kind of doubt it was one thing only that led to Ford's departure. Circumstances change and Ford needs to be a featured back if he's going to position himself for the draft. So, meh, not a lot of news here.
    Sorry to see him go, hope its for the best for him. OU frees up a schollie. Pretty much end of story.

vCash

The OU program has been very hush-hush this offseason aside from some transfers, dismissals and then hey look who's not playing in the spring game speculation. I understand why, I just would love to hear something good just to know everyone's doing all right

And yeah, I know I'm not entitled to shizzle and that I shouldn't hold my breath waiting for offseason good news

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by KantoSooner View Post
    Barry was, I believe, a GA on that AR staff. Bud was a junior asst. Bob had a pedigree but had never been the HMFIC of any team at any level that I'm aware of. While you're technically correct in what you say; I'd lay money that you would trash any one of those hires if made today.

Two, how do you know whether the new coaches are worse than their predecessors? Riley worse than Josh? Gundy worse than Norvell? Really?

Allow me a quick Immelman here: let's say I accept your argument. Let's get rid of the Bobber. Who do you want to hire? And, for purposes of staying in the realms of reality, Harbaugh and Saban are off the table. And it has to be a real person, alive and in the prime of his career now. (So, for example, you could choose Landry Jones, but Tom Landry would be out of bounds).

Bitchin' is easy, fissin' is harder.
    Barry Switzer was not a GA. He was a position coach, and OU hired him to be the offensive coordinator.

Yes, Riley worse than Josh. Easily. He coached in a far inferior conference and, even then, wasn't producing better offenses than Josh. Temple held ECU to 10 points last season. Temple.

Gundy is now misplaced. He always had a running back ready from unknowns like Quentin Griffin to walkons like Allen Patrick and Dominique Whaley. Now, the position is held in such low regard that they've stuck Jay Boulware on it. You know, Jay Boulware, the tight ends coach whose tight ends weren't producing. And, he handled special teams that were - to put it mildly - not so special.

In fact, they've taken Boulware and glommed three duties on him now - running backs, fullbacks, and still special teams. He couldn't coach two positions worth a crap, now they have him coaching three?

And, you want to argue that the running back coach position is in better shape fro 2015 than in 2014?

He's lost. Bob Stoops is absolutely lost. Jay Boulware, of any of the 2014 coaches, is one who should have been cut loose. But, here is he taking the place of the only coach on the offensive side of the ball who consistently had guys ready last year...and, every year he coached running backs.

Crazy.
    "General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"

vCash

Geez, TDTW, looks like we shouldn't even step on the field this year. Can we maybe just get lucky?
    Put a lid on it! Kiss it goodbye. We gave it away, and apparently thought it made sense to do so.

vCash

No. We may not!
    On the plus side, if TDTW really believes what he's saying, he'll sell me his season's tickets cheap, 'cause it's going to be such an aweful season and all. LOL

vCash

No, we need to step onto the field. And, when we get our as*ses handed to us 4 to 6 times again, more people will wake up and start paying attention.

vCash

OK, now Keith Ford is really starting to sound a bit whiny.
    He follows Aggie senior Brandon Williams as former five-star runners to transfer from Oklahoma to A&M. The two spoke today while Ford was on the A&M campus.

“Brandon told me that it was very laid back up there and he said if you do what you need to do that everything will be fine,” he said. “He said that A&M allows you to create your own path and your own destiny. He said everyone really cares about your school work and getting your degree. It was nice to hear about how much they put back into academics because that wasn’t something I experienced at OU.”
    http://tamu.247sports.com/Bolt/Break...Aggie-37392290

Now it's time for me to be snarky: Brandon Williams must *really* be focused on those spectacular, superior Texas A&M academics, because he sure as hell doesn't have the football stats befitting a former five-star recruit, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Aggie official athletic site
    2014 (JUNIOR)

Contributed 374 yards and three touchdowns on 86 carries and 65 yards on nine catches while seeing action in every game (six starts) ... had a career-high 71 yards on 19 carries against ULM ... long carry was a 27-yarder against Rice.

2013 (SOPHOMORE):

Amassed 302 all-purpose yards – 269 rushing, 17 receiving and 16 kick return – and two touchdowns in his first season in maroon and white … Logged playing time in the final 11 games at running back … scored a touchdown in the first game of his Aggie career, catching a career-best 10-yard pass against Sam Houston State (Sept. 7) … had a career-high 68 yards – 61 rushing and seven receiving – against Vanderbilt (Oct. 26) … scored the first rushing TD of his career against the Commodores, a seven-yard run … The longest rush of his career was a 43-yard play at Missouri (Nov. 30) … averaged 6.1 yards per rush and 3.4 yards per catch on the year.
    Five touchdowns in two seasons! Only six more touchdowns and he'll score as many as OU did against Texas A&M in our 2003 game! Whooooooooop!