Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

Re: Keith Ford transferring

It is becoming increasingly apparent that this is make or break year, if it wasn't already. If the trophy case doesn't need expansion at the end of the season, Heads. Will. Roll.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Tear Down This Wall View Post
    Because running the ball is now a secondary thought at Texas Tech University, Norman Campus.
    Amen! I heard this new jackass of an OC we hired is only concerned with scoring points.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member jkm, the stolen pifwafwi's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    I was surprised to see Cale get moved in the offseason. Running backs have always been good under him --- good recruits, good results on-field. Why would Bob Stoops want to change that?
    Gundy's strengths are from January to August - He is a very good evaluater, recruiter, and teacher. Where he is weak is from August to December specifically in setting player expectations pre-game and substitution patterns within a game. Those weaknesses have directly transferred to points left on the field and to be honest 3-4 Ls in close games that should be Ws.

The entire Miller/Calhoun/Brandon Williams fiasco would have gotten a lot of coaches fired. When guys transfer because you repeatedly tell them they are going to start the game on Monday and then start someone else on Saturday, you have a communication problem that is detrimental to the success of the team. When you repeatedly pull a hot running back and then go 3 and out, you have another issue that is detrimental to the success of the team.

Bob Stoops legacy at OU is that he hired a great set of coaches year 1 that were made stronger in year 2 by the swapping of Long for Leach. The problem is that over time, his staff has went from balancing strengths and weaknesses to having both on display throughout the season. The first 5 games we see their strengths, the last 5 games we see their weaknesses.

vCash

When guys transfer because you repeatedly tell them they are going to start the game on Monday and then start someone else on Saturday
    Why was one of my first thoughts when I read that how Mike Gundy treats QBs at OSU, heh. If true, it runs in the family? If not true, the impression runs in the family.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Soonerjeepman's Avatar
    vCash

First, I wish him the best...my kid is transferring from 1 D1 Juco to another in the same league because of the HC basically, so I get that part.

BUT...after reading the Tulsa interview...quite honestly I think they (Ford and his dad) wimped out. They blame the coaching move for some...but then talk about being injured and not feeling a part of the team etc...hard to get back in the grove, etc. Ya got hurt...that's no ones fault. Sounds a little high horse to me...or he sees the writing on the wall, Mixon, Pernine...and the other guys.

Like I told my son while fall ball was on...just suck it up, do your best, ask, maybe the HC is pushing you..to see what you have on the mound. When the HC then tells you "you can't pitch in this league...anywhere" it's time to move on. Funny thing is 3 other schools in the league offered after that, 2 finished higher than his original school.
    How do you know if you get there, if you don't know where you are going?..oh and I had 1,713 post on the "other board"..I hate being a rookie again!

vCash

If he fully rehabilitates, he could play quite a bit, at just about any school.
    Put a lid on it! Kiss it goodbye. We gave it away, and apparently thought it made sense to do so.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member KantoSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Heh. I remember my college coach (Div III) telling us on opening day of practice, "Boys, if you can't play here, you can't play anywhere. There IS NO Div IV."
    Quite the motivator, he was...
    "I don't know karate, but I know ka-razor!" - James Brown

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Soonerjeepman's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by KantoSooner View Post
    Heh. I remember my college coach (Div III) telling us on opening day of practice, "Boys, if you can't play here, you can't play anywhere. There IS NO Div IV."
    Quite the motivator, he was...
    lol...that's funny....yeah, it's amazing how coaches can break a kid down or get them going
    How do you know if you get there, if you don't know where you are going?..oh and I had 1,713 post on the "other board"..I hate being a rookie again!

vCash

Sounds a little high horse to me...or he sees the writing on the wall, Mixon, Pernine...and the other guys.
    It's best for him and for OU. It's clear our offense if going in a pass-first direction and you can only have so many running backs running shallow slant routes/quick dump offs/block for the QB out of shotgun... even with the talent we have.

By the way... do we have a true fullback to replace Ripkowski on roster? Or is that position going the way of the dodo bird under Lincoln Riley? Or perhaps Keith was told to gain 100 pounds of muscle by fall to fill that position

vCash

I can't really get behind the criticisms of Ford. This isn't what he signed up for. Almost anything a kid should look for when picking a school has changed. We switched offenses, we switched coaches, his injuries opened the door for younger guys to take his place, there's more uncertainty of the direction of this program than there has been since the 90's, and even the university itself is going through some overblown turmoil. OU was a great fit for Keith when he committed, and was even a great fit for him less than a year ago, but it's not now, and nobody would have guessed it 7-8 months ago. Heck, I couldn't have even guessed it in January.

vCash

This isn't what he signed up for.
    Undoubtedly. He was either a four or five-star recruit by every service out there. Cale had been RB coach forever and would conceivably continue in that role for the foreseeable future... but as I look at his stats...
    http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArti...CLID=208865261

Not exactly earth shattering. It just wasn't working out, was it? Injury or not. It sounds like he's got good parents that will help in in the re-recruiting process. It would be interesting if he ended up at Texas A&M, because he wouldn't be the first former five-star/four-star RB we've sent to Kevin Sumlin:
    http://www.12thman.com/ViewArticle.d...CLID=205502914

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Tear Down This Wall's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
    Amen! I heard this new jackass of an OC we hired is only concerned with scoring points.
    We were 20th in the country in scoring last year; ECU was 22nd.

So...our dolt OC that we ran off was already outscoring Mike Leach's protege, and in a tougher conference.

Again, Bob Stoops is lost. We scored plenty last season. If we had hired an OC from a real conference, with some championship pedigree, leading an offense greatly outscoring ours, your argument would make sense. But, that's not the case.
    "General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"
    President Ronald Reagan at the Berlin Wall, June 12, 1987

vCash

We were 20th in the country in scoring last year; ECU was 22nd.
    So you're saying Riley is getting the same results with less talent? Cool.

I bet the happiness of UNC's coach offsets your gloominess.

http://espn.go.com/ncf/recap?id=332710153

http://espn.go.com/ncf/recap?id=400547669

vCash

No, I'm saying he's not getting the same results in a weaker conference. We didn't hire someone coaching at the same competition level. Also, if your standard of competition is North Carolina football, you have a very poor grasp of competition level.

Where would you say Temple falls on the competition level? Not very high. ECU hung 10 points on Temple, in a 20-10 loss.

This is an offense whose master goes 3-9 against real competition up at Wazzu. It might reach the lofty heights of eight wins in crappy conferences like C-USA II/American Athletic.

We have one receiver, who is injury prone. And, a roster full of quarterbacks who have no business holding scholarships from Oklahoma. About half the offensive linemen fit that description as well. They are being led by a kid coach who has an offense that every Big 12 coach has already seen for the better part of two decades now.

Stupid.
    "General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"

vCash

No, I'm saying he's not getting the same results in a weaker conference. We didn't hire someone coaching at the same competition level. Also, if your standard of competition is North Carolina football, you have a very poor grasp of competition level.
    UNC would be a middle-of-the-road Big XII team, and he torched them each of the last two seasons with only the limited resources of ECU. Pretty impressive.

Where would you say Temple falls on the competition level? Not very high. ECU hung 10 points on Temple, in a 20-10 loss.
    Defensively? I'd say pretty damn high, as they're #4 in scoring defense in the country.

We have one receiver, who is injury prone.
    LOLOLOLNO

They are being led by a kid coach who has an offense that every Big 12 coach has already seen for the better part of two decades now.
    Every Big XII coach has seen, and every Big XII coach has been torched by it.

vCash

I understand some of you guys' lack of optimism for the upcoming season. Our WR corps is shrinking and wasn't that solid to begin with last year. Our QB competition includes an ex-Tech walk-on (who admitted was the Big 12 freshman of the year a few seasons ago) and a guy who may or may not wake up on the right side of the bed (who admitted was the Sugar Bowl MVP over Bama a few seasons ago) and a few others who don't have a ton of college experience.

If there's anything positive to take away, it's that no matter what team runs out onto the field this season, it will not look like last year's 8-5 group, thanks to offseason coaching changes. It might be better, it might be worse, but it definitely will be different.

Fingers crossed. Hope for the best.

vCash

I understand some of you guys' lack of optimism for the upcoming season. Our WR corps is shrinking and wasn't that solid to begin with last year. Our QB competition includes an ex-Tech walk-on (who admitted was the Big 12 freshman of the year a few seasons ago) and a guy who may or may not wake up on the right side of the bed (who admitted was the Sugar Bowl MVP over Bama a few seasons ago) and a few others who don't have a ton of college experience.

If there's anything positive to take away, it's that no matter what team runs out onto the field this season, it will not look like last year's 8-5 group, thanks to offseason coaching changes. It might be better, it might be worse, but it definitely will be different.

Fingers crossed. Hope for the best.
    So, basically, you see it like I do: a 7-6, 8-5, or 9-4 year...but, getting there in a different way than in 2014. In a nutshell, different faces, same result.

And, for me, therein lies the problem. If I were Texas Tech Fan, I'd be pleased as punch to be "bowl qualified" again. But, because I'm Oklahoma Season Ticket Holder, I understand that we have the resources and tradition to go out and make big hires for real, bona fide coaches...and, yet, we don't do it.

After several years of this, my only sense is that Bob must not like people who are smarter than him on the coaching staff. And, unfortunately, the list of coaches smarter than Bob grows by the year. Bob doesn't set a high bar as far as intelligence, and consistently hires below it. He's, sadly, become Mack Brown without the schmoozing element.

vCash

So, basically, you see it like I do: a 7-6, 8-5, or 9-4 year...but, getting there in a different way than in 2014. In a nutshell, different faces, same result
    Yeah, I'm just not as snarky about it but as you're the season ticket holder and I *might* venture down for a game if just to watch at a Norman TV instead of a Tulsa one... you have more of a right to be. I have no monetary investment and have less and less emotional investment as my college years drift further away.

I'm not drinking the CFP kool aid again no matter what Mark May says in September --- we're not getting top 4 placement without an undefeated season, and unless we've conjured up defensive backs that don't need to leave 5-yard bubbly cushions between themselves and Baylor receviers, we're not beating Art Briles. But, if its OK for me to be spiteful, Baylor's not getting there either, and they're not beating TCU next year. So... nyah nyah?

SoonerFans.com Elite Member birddog's Avatar
    vCash

So, basically, you see it like I do: a 7-6, 8-5, or 9-4 year...but, getting there in a different way than in 2014. In a nutshell, different faces, same result.

And, for me, therein lies the problem. If I were Texas Tech Fan, I'd be pleased as punch to be "bowl qualified" again. But, because I'm Oklahoma Season Ticket Holder, I understand that we have the resources and tradition to go out and make big hires for real, bona fide coaches...and, yet, we don't do it.

After several years of this, my only sense is that Bob must not like people who are smarter than him on the coaching staff. And, unfortunately, the list of coaches smarter than Bob grows by the year. Bob doesn't set a high bar as far as intelligence, and consistently hires below it. He's, sadly, become Mack Brown without the schmoozing element.
    Is your name "recruiter" on another board?

vCash

Yeah, I'm just not as snarky about it but as you're the season ticket holder and I *might* venture down for a game if just to watch at a Norman TV instead of a Tulsa one... you have more of a right to be. I have no monetary investment and have less and less emotional investment as my college years drift further away.

I'm not drinking the CFP kool aid again no matter what Mark May says in September --- we're not getting top 4 placement without an undefeated season, and unless we've conjured up defensive backs that don't need to leave 5-yard bubbly cushions between themselves and Baylor receviers, we're not beating Art Briles. But, if its OK for me to be spiteful, Baylor's not getting there either, and they're not beating TCU next year. So... nyah nyah?
    Agree. At least Ford will likely go somewhere where he might possibly get to run with the ball again. Injury or not, what little running we will do in 2015 will likely be done by Perine...unless our new offensive coaches are even dumber than I predict they will be, which isn't out of the question at this point.