Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Keith Ford transferring

Sooner Starter
    vCash

Re: Keith Ford transferring

No it doesn't surprise me either. Wish him the best of luck.
    "Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, to assure the survival and success of liberty."
    - President John F. Kennedy

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Dog house+injury+competition at RB makes this the right move for him. Note that Stoops gives him full release, Kliff.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member jkm, the stolen pifwafwi's Avatar
    vCash

Ugh, I've seen this movie before. We start off with a ton of running backs and by the time the season gets here, we have 2.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by jkm, the stolen pifwafwi View Post
    Ugh, I've seen this movie before. We start off with a ton of running backs and by the time the season gets here, we have 2.
    But that's okay now that we are full on air raid.

(*ducks as TDTW throws his keyboard at the screen)

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

But that's okay now that we are full on air raid.
    Running backs = catch and run
    Wide receivers = run and catch

AIR RAID!!!!!

vCash

I don't remember what media guy -- John Shinn, maybe? -- pointed this out, but out of 14 running backs recruited in the past few years, eight have transferred. Maybe there's another reason Cale Gundy is no longer in charge or RBs but shifted over to WRs?

vCash

I misremembered. It was John Shinn, but he wrote on twitter: Since 2003, eight of the 20 running backs (doesn't include fullbacks) OU signed eventually transferred. OU has signed 13 running backs since the 2008 recruiting class. With Keith Ford's decision, six eventually transferred.

vCash

Feast or famine, I guess. When we do hit at RB, we hit big. Griffin, Peterson, Murray and now Perine.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member KantoSooner's Avatar
    vCash

I think we'll all be happily surprised by:
    1. What an excellent fit Mixon is for this offense and how freaking deadly he will be floating around in the backfield.
    2. How the spreading of the field is going to benefit Ross...and how many times he takes it to the house.
    3.How many passes Perine catches.
    "I don't know karate, but I know ka-razor!" - James Brown

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by KantoSooner View Post
    I think we'll all be happily surprised by:
    1. What an excellent fit Mixon is for this offense and how freaking deadly he will be floating around in the backfield.
    2. How the spreading of the field is going to benefit Ross...and how many times he takes it to the house.
    3.How many passes Perine catches.
    There are a few out there that could not be happily surprised at 3). Every reception he makes represents a carry he didn't get, so joy isn't possible.

vCash

damn shame

SoonerFans.com Elite Member birddog's Avatar
    vCash

Never like to see a Sooner hit the bricks but it seems par for the course since the end of last season, coaching changes and all. His abilities would have transitioned best to this offense but we have enough versatility to compensate for him bailing, I hope. Thanks, KF. You gave us a lot to talk about when you stepped on the field as a freshman. I drink to your health...and mine.

vCash

I think we'll be fine this year if Mixon doesn't punch another girl. We still have Perine, Mixon, Ross, Brooks, and Anderson. I'm honestly unsure if Ford even adds depth with his injuries.

Now if Mixon punches another girl, Brooks transfers, and Ross gets hurt on a kick return...then I'd be worried. Even then, Perine and Anderson would still be one of the best backfields in the conference.

vCash

I'm sad to see him go, though. I had high hopes for him, and enjoyed watching him, but he wasn't able to stay on the field with all his injuries.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
    I think we'll be fine this year if Mixon doesn't punch another girl. We still have Perine, Mixon, Ross, Brooks, and Anderson. I'm honestly unsure if Ford even adds depth with his injuries.

Now if Mixon punches another girl, Brooks transfers, and Ross gets hurt on a kick return...then I'd be worried. Even then, Perine and Anderson would still be one of the best backfields in the conference.
    He's not a pure RB per se', but don't forget about Flowers as well.
    Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb.

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

He and his dad did a lengthy interview with Tulsa World post-transfer:
    http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextr...483c1f36e.html

Of note:

Ford: “After the coaching change there, it didn’t start off right. I talked to my parents. I didn’t like the coach. We were just talking that I think I should leave. First of all, we made sure we got my grades squared away to make sure I would be eligible to transfer. We did that, and I decided to transfer away from OU.”

TW: What coach are you referring to?

Ford: “The running backs coach (Jay Boulware, who moved to running backs coach in OU’s staff change last February).”

TW: What was the problem?

Ford: “It just wasn’t the right fit. His style of coaching was not my style. I had a relationship with Coach Gundy (Cale Gundy, the running backs coach before switching to inside receivers). I really came to OU because of Coach Gundy, because I wanted to work with him. I didn’t really know this guy and his actions didn’t fit the way I wanted to be coached.”
    and

Ford Sr: “There’s nothing to hide here. He’s being honest. Injuries, coaching change, when you add all that up, sometimes you’ve just got to make the right decision. But I’m gonna tell you something, Coach Gundy, he’s a good man. Keith formed a relationship with him. Hopefully he can find a place to go where he can form that relationship with his coach. Because I’m gonna tell you, that player you saw on that field was a product of Coach Gundy and the relationship that they had.”
    I was surprised to see Cale get moved in the offseason. Running backs have always been good under him --- good recruits, good results on-field. Why would Bob Stoops want to change that?

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Tear Down This Wall's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    He and his dad did a lengthy interview with Tulsa World post-transfer:
    http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextr...483c1f36e.html

Of note:

and

I was surprised to see Cale get moved in the offseason. Running backs have always been good under him --- good recruits, good results on-field. Why would Bob Stoops want to change that?
    Because running the ball is now a secondary thought at Texas Tech University, Norman Campus.
    "General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"
    President Ronald Reagan at the Berlin Wall, June 12, 1987

SoonerFans.com Elite Member KantoSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Do you want to break the news to Perine? Or should I?
    "I don't know karate, but I know ka-razor!" - James Brown

SoonerFans.com Elite Member swardboy's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Tear Down This Wall View Post
    Because running the ball is now a secondary thought at Texas Tech University, Norman Campus.
    Bwahahaha........
    "I'm going to request that you stop posting in this thread." - circa 2008
    "Why does there have to be so much immature stuff on here?" - circa 2010