Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member Turd_Ferguson's Avatar
    vCash

Re: jeb in 7th place in Iowa poll

Quote Originally Posted by okie52 View Post
    Because they are government jobs that are paid for by taxpayers. They have representation through their congressmen and state legislators/local officials to get pay hikes and/or working conditions to be changed. On the state and lower levels the competition between other states/municipalities will also provide incentives for wage increases/better benefits. They certainly shouldn't be allowed to "strike" (although many aren't allowed to strike by law) and hold the government and/or taxpayers hostage for their demands.
    Word.

OleVet Posse Instigator

vCash

Because they are government jobs that are paid for by taxpayers. They have representation through their congressmen and state legislators/local officials to get pay hikes and/or working conditions to be changed. On the state and lower levels the competition between other states/municipalities will also provide incentives for wage increases/better benefits. They certainly shouldn't be allowed to "strike" (although many aren't allowed to strike by law) and hold the government and/or taxpayers hostage for their demands.
    Exactly right. One of the best posts I've seen from you.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SicEmBaylor View Post
    Exactly right. One of the best posts I've seen from you.
    Well, as long as I'm the limiting factor...thanks.

vCash

Ole jeb is firing on all cylinders...instate tuition and driver licenses for illegals, and now he'd keep Obama's executive amnesty for 4-5,000,000 illegals.

Jeb Bush: I Wouldn't Immediately Repeal Obama's Immigration Action
    Monday, 11 May 2015 10:22 PM
    By Greg Richter

Jeb Bush told Fox News Channel's Megyn Kelly that he would not attempt to immediately reverse President Barack Obama's executive action on immigration should he succeed him in the Oval Office.

The former Florida governor said he would instead wait for Congress to pass a law to make changes in immigration policy.

That sets Bush apart from many of his Republican counterparts who have said they would take immediate action. Obama in November issued an executive action to prevent millions of illegal immigrants from being deported.

Bush suggested that GOP voters "can be persuaded" to his way of thinking on the issue.

The action is currently being held up by a Texas federal judge as he considers a multistate lawsuit against Obama. Bush said he thinks the states will prevail in the lawsuit.

Asked about the political minefield of using an executive action to reverse the policy, Bush replied, "Pass meaningful reform of immigration and make it part of it."

He also defended his belief that illegal immigrants should be given driver's licenses and their children given in-state tuition.

"If you've been here for an extended period of time, you have no nexus to the country of your parents," he said, adding, "What are we supposed to do? Marginalize these people forever?"

While he supported legal status, he said that doesn't mean citizenship.

"I think illegal immigration ought to be punished by coming out from the shadows, earning legal status over an extended period of time where you pay a fine, where you work, where you don't receive government assistance, where you learn English … where you're deported if you commit a crime, as is the law."

Self-deportation isn't practical, he said, nor is "rounding people up door-to-door."

Bush acknowledged that many in the party disagree with his immigration views, but he argued, "If I go beyond the consideration of running to be an actual candidate, do you want people to just bend with the wind, to mirror people's sentiment? … Oh, yes, I used to be for that, but now I'm for this. Is that the way we elect a president?"

Read Latest Breaking News from Newsmax.com http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/Jeb...#ixzz3aVn3h1XI

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Government jobs are paid for by taxpayers. Private sector jobs are paid for by customers. Why does that make a difference in whether or not the employees have the right to unionize?

Public employees trying to get representation through the electoral process would be like relying on customers of private companies to champion higher pay/better working conditions for private sector workers. It can't work.

Federal civil service unions don't bargain over pay. I believe the same is true of state employee unions, at least in Oklahoma. They do bargain over working conditions, and handle worker grievances.

I agree with you about public employee union members not being allowed to strike. I should have been more specific about my original "Why not?" To wit: There is a difference between the sources of private and public workers' pay - why does that mean the latter shouldn't be allowed to unionize?
    Ukraine: Not Our Fight.

More epicycles!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by TAFBSooner View Post
    Government jobs are paid for by taxpayers. Private sector jobs are paid for by customers. Why does that make a difference in whether or not the employees have the right to unionize?

Public employees trying to get representation through the electoral process would be like relying on customers of private companies to champion higher pay/better working conditions for private sector workers. It can't work.

Federal civil service unions don't bargain over pay. I believe the same is true of state employee unions, at least in Oklahoma. They do bargain over working conditions, and handle worker grievances.

I agree with you about public employee union members not being allowed to strike. I should have been more specific about my original "Why not?" To wit: There is a difference between the sources of private and public workers' pay - why does that mean the latter shouldn't be allowed to unionize?
    State legislators, city councils, county officials, et al are already in the mix as to wages, working conditions, benefits, etc... They approve the budgets for the various state, civic and county agencies. They are also aware of competition from other states and cities so they have to keep wages and benefits competitive as well as competition from the private sector for government employees whose skills would be valued in their given industries. And they are powerful political blocs...just ask Wes Lane when the OKC police union favored his successor David Prater or when the teachers wanted to get rid of the state school superintendent Barressi.

Teachers End Chicago Strike on Second Try
    By MONICA DAVEY and STEVEN YACCINOSEPT. 18, 2012
    Photo

CHICAGO — The Chicago Teachers Union agreed on Tuesday to end its strike in the nation’s third-largest school system, allowing 350,000 children to return to classes on Wednesday and bringing to a close, at least for now, a tense standoff over issues like teacher evaluations and job security that had upended this city for more than a week.

In a private meeting on Tuesday afternoon, 800 union delegates voted overwhelmingly to suspend the strike after classes had been halted for seven school days, which left parents at loose ends and City Hall taking legal action. The delegates, who had chosen on Sunday to extend their strike rather than accept a deal reached by negotiators for the union and the Chicago Public Schools, this time decided to abandon their picket lines.
    If its not strikes its sick ins, slow work or something else that would be disruptive.

I look at government jobs, ie tax payer money, as something that shouldn't be subject to collective bargaining...even if the bargaining isn't for specifically for "wages". As I said before they have representation and I don't think that tax payers should be held hostage by unions.

Oklahoma workers rally against proposed pension changes
    Several hundred teachers, firefighters and state employees on Monday packed the Oklahoma Capitol’s fourth-floor rotunda to rally against proposed changes in the state pension system.
    http://newsok.com/oklahoma-workers-r...rticle/3934684

Why Are Thousands of Oklahoma Teachers Protesting Today at the Capitol?
    By Wesley Fryer On March 31, 2014

Today will be a historic event in Oklahoma education history: Thousands of Oklahoma teachers, parents, and others are gathering for a rally on the steps of our state capitol in Oklahoma City. According to today’s Tulsa World article, “Education funding rally: Thousands of Oklahomans expected to descend on Capitol, press for more school dollars,”
    http://www.speedofcreativity.org/201...t-the-capitol/

vCash

Planned education rally angers lawmakers
    Two state lawmakers are chastising Oklahoma school districts that are planning to give teachers and students a day off so they can lobby for more education funding at the state Capitol.
    by Randy Ellis Published: February 7, 2014

Two state lawmakers are chastising Oklahoma school districts that have chosen to give teachers and students a day off so they can lobby for more education funding at the state Capitol.

“It's indefensible for government entities to use government resources to lobby government for more taxpayer money for more government,” Rep. Jason Murphey, R-Guthrie, said in a news release. “It's also extremely inappropriate for government entities to pressure their employees to take time away from their important duties to lobby for money for that entity.”