Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Re: Phil Steele's preseason top 25 projections

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    I'm not sure reducing controversy was a goal - if so, that's not realistic. Even with 64 teams, there is always an ESPN segment about who got screwed after hoops selection day. I think the goal is to keep more teams in the running and thus more total interest in the sport farther into the season. I do think there was a better outcome than the old system which would have most likely been FSU vs. Bama. FSU just didn't look that good in a many of their games against mediocre competition, but there was just no way to omit them, so having 4 teams really helped. After watching the first round, I felt like the Bama vs tOSU was the real championship game and the Rose bowl winner was going to get pounded and that turned out to be the case.
    By "reducing controversy," I meant more along the lines of crowning the actual best team. I'm having a hard time calling tOSU the real champions. They were just playing really well at the end of the season. TCU was also playing very well.

The year before, if OU had somehow snuck into a playoff (had we not inexplicably lost to Texas, we might have), I think we could have definitely won it, as beating OSU and Alabama back to back was comparable. In no way was that a championship team, though.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
    By "reducing controversy," I meant more along the lines of crowning the actual best team. I'm having a hard time calling tOSU the real champions. They were just playing really well at the end of the season. TCU was also playing very well.

The year before, if OU had somehow snuck into a playoff (had we not inexplicably lost to Texas, we might have), I think we could have definitely won it, as beating OSU and Alabama back to back was comparable. In no way was that a championship team, though.
    Getting hot at the end of the season is a factor that can't be ignored and is a huge factor in the NFL. There have been several wild card teams win it all recently. tOSU had a reason to start slow having to go to a backup QB after Braxton got hurt, and the new guy got better every game as did the rest of the team. The astounding part was going to Jones for the last 3 games and being even better - how many teams could do that? As we inevitable go to more than 4 teams, CFB will become more NFL-like and finishing strong will be an even larger factor. Whether that's good or bad is personal taste.

You can justify it all you want, Ohio State even being in the playoffs was ridiculous. A loss to a 6-6 team at home should matter just as much at the beginning of the season as the end. Also the playoff committee said common opponents would be a factor when obviously it wasn't with TCU and Ohio state.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

I still laugh at that texas hire and all those that think he's going to turn it around.

If he doesn't get fired after this coming season, it will be the next one.

vCash

I bet you that Texas is more of a force than TCU over the next 5 years, and I'd give you a money-back guarantee for 10 years.

vCash

I'm more worried about where we'll be in the next 5 years tbh..
    The enduring image of Oklahoma was that ridiculous double–middle finger of a game-icing kick. It was probably an accident, which somehow made it more, not less, insulting. It was as though Stoops had partied so hard on the corpse of the SEC that he woke up with an unplanned tattoo.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by soonergirlNeugene View Post
    I'm more worried about where we'll be in the next 5 years tbh..
    As should always be the case. I'm just not willing to say Strong is a bust yet. I think his defenses will be murderous, and I'm not sure about his offenses, but I'd imagine he'll land a VY or two.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalBigRed View Post
    I still laugh at that texas hire and all those that think he's going to turn it around.

If he doesn't get fired after this coming season, it will be the next one.
    Same here. The next thing Charlie Strong does as coach at UT to impress me will be his first.
    Behold the pale horse. The man who sat on him was death, and Hell followed with him.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

Winner of the Nobel Peace Prize 2015.

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

If Charlie did anything right by me, it was pizz off A&Ms' #WRTS recruiting status a bit this past offseason.

A lot of ground to makeup, however.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Curly Bill View Post
    Same here. The next thing Charlie Strong does as coach at UT to impress me will be his first.
    But he impressed you at Louisville?

vCash

But he impressed you at Louisville?
    Not even remotely.
    Behold the pale horse. The man who sat on him was death, and Hell followed with him.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

vCash

Not even remotely.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_Sugar_Bowl

SoonerFans.com Elite Member birddog's Avatar
    vCash

Strong will have great defenses there and it doesn't take a lot to be productive on offense in this conference. We don't have the same teams we did in the first half of the 2000's anymore. It's going to be rough every time we play em now. They hopefully don't win another nc for 30 more years, or ever, but Charlie's got a huge talent pool there and he'll do a nice job for em. Hard to see a top 5 team there anytime soon but he did JUST begin his coaching career at texass.

vCash

So...? He beat Florida. Does that put him in the Hall of Fame?

Olevet Posse Pistolero

vCash

So...? He beat Florida. Does that put him in the Hall of Fame?
    So you're either a Hall of Famer or not even remotely impressive?

It's incredible how dense you can be.

vCash

So you're either a Hall of Famer or not even remotely impressive?

It's incredible how dense you can be.
    It's incredible how hard you try to make meaningless points on here. I'd accuse you of trying to be the smartest guy in the room, but anyone who has posted here for long knows that's not in your grasp - not even remotely.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

vCash

It's incredible how hard you try to make meaningless points on here. I'd accuse you of trying to be the smartest guy in the room, but anyone who has posted here for long knows that's not in your grasp - not even remotely.
    You're guilty of what you accuse. I'm getting a mild chuckle at of your attempt at wit, though. That last sentence is faulty, and apparently you can't grasp the difference between attempting and succeeding. Not surprising.

This won't get through your thick skull, yet I'm still going to try, so I think you have a point about me not being the smartest person here. Charlie Strong went 23-3 in his final two years at Louisville. The link I gave you...that was the Sugar Bowl where Charlie Strong smacked the **** out of the best coach in college football, who is clearly a HOFer, and may go down as the greatest ever, and his #3 rated team in the country.

If you think that's not even remotely impressive, then you're a troll. And dense.

vCash

and a Happy Memorial Day to you and yours!
    Put a lid on it! Kiss it goodbye. We gave it away, and apparently thought it made sense to do so.

vCash

You're guilty of what you accuse. I'm getting a mild chuckle at of your attempt at wit, though. That last sentence is faulty, and apparently you can't grasp the difference between attempting and succeeding. Not surprising.

This won't get through your thick skull, yet I'm still going to try, so I think you have a point about me not being the smartest person here. Charlie Strong went 23-3 in his final two years at Louisville. The link I gave you...that was the Sugar Bowl where Charlie Strong smacked the **** out of the best coach in college football, who is clearly a HOFer, and may go down as the greatest ever, and his #3 rated team in the country.

If you think that's not even remotely impressive, then you're a troll. And dense.
    It might just be me, but I'd be willing to bet that there's pretty much nobody outside Muschamp's immediate family who think quite that highly of him.
    Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb.

vCash

As big of a chuckle as I'm getting out of your grammatical proficiency?

...and way to go all fanboy on Charlie Strong. Impressive!

Olevet Posse Pistolero