SoonerFans.com Elite Member swardboy's Avatar
    vCash

Grissom at tight end?

From Dallas Morning News blog....A couple of eye-popping notes post-draft. Love Belechik's comment on Geneo:

DE Geneo Grissom, 97th overall pick (Round 3, Pick 33) by New England Patriots
    Analysis: Grissom was the third pick of the year for New England, and all three were devoted to the defensive side of the ball, including a first-round selection of Texas’ Malcom Brown. After spending a few seasons switching between defensive systems and positions, a stable place like New England should be a healthy fit for the edge rusher.

The buzz: Grissom’s versatility and ability to adjust positions was a big draw for Patriots coach Bill Belichick. “He’s a player that has played a couple of different spots,”Belichick said at a press conference. “He’s a pretty athletic, versatile guy in Oklahoma’s defense over the last couple of years.” Grissom also worked out at tight end at OU’s pro day, which Belichick said was as good a workout as he’d seen at the position this year.

TE Blake Bell, 117th overall pick (Round 4, Pick 18) by San Francisco 49ers
    Analysis: Bell joins what is already seen as a crowded group at tight end as the seventh player at the position on San Francisco’s roster. He didn’t really shine as much as he could have in one season at the position at OU, but he can’t ask for a much better situation with little pressure with the 49ers. He even has an all-pro tight end to learn from with Vernon Davis ahead of him.

The buzz: 49ers general manager Trent Baalke sees an interesting similarity to a current pro in Blake Bell. While he opened by saying he doesn’t make comparisons, but continued to show how Jimmy Graham and Blake Bell took similar paths to the NFL by switching from quarterback to tight end, according to SFGate.com. “When you look statistically at Jimmy Graham and you compare his college statistics to Blake Bell’s, I think you’ll see that they’re very similar, right?” Baalke said. “Once again, that’s a Pro Bowl tight end. He’s had a heck of a career. Not making that comparison at all.” Graham had 17 catches, 213 yards and five touchdowns in 2009 at Miami while Bell had 16 catches for 214 yards and four scores

Of course Blake would have to work on his goal-post dunking skilz.....oh wait, that's illegal now.
    Last edited by swardboy; 5/4/2015 at 01:08 PM.
    "I'm going to request that you stop posting in this thread." - circa 2008
    "Why does there have to be so much immature stuff on here?" - circa 2010

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Re: Grissom at tight end?

He was a TE in HS, and a very highly rated one at that, IIRC. But Gronk is in NE. He won't be playing TE anytime soon.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by EatLeadCommie View Post
    He was a TE in HS, and a very highly rated one at that, IIRC. But Gronk is in NE. He won't be playing TE anytime soon.
    Gronk is always hurt, and they utilized Hernandez and Gronk at the same time.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Widescreen's Avatar
    vCash

There's no way he'll beat out Hernandez, though.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Why cuz Hernandez might have him killed? Hernandez is in jail for life.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Soonerfan88's Avatar
    vCash

http://nesn.com/2015/05/bill-belichi...g-front-seven/

This article includes the quote by Belichick. He was just talking about Grissom's versatility and has no plans to put him at TE.

vCash

I did not realize Graham was used at the same level Blake was in college. Just goes to show how a player can blossom in a different system, even going from college to pro level. Hope the 49er's use Blake in a similar way. It would be interesting to see how he performs with a proven QB.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Widescreen's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by azheat4u View Post
    Why cuz Hernandez might have him killed? Hernandez is in jail for life.
    Yes, I'm fully aware of the Hernandez situation. Sheesh.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Widescreen View Post
    Yes, I'm fully aware of the Hernandez situation. Sheesh.
    But do you really? What if I gave you a pop quiz?

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Pricetag's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by swardboy View Post
    I did not realize Graham was used at the same level Blake was in college. Just goes to show how a player can blossom in a different system, even going from college to pro level. Hope the 49er's use Blake in a similar way. It would be interesting to see how he performs with a proven QB.
    Did the 'Niners bring in a proven QB?
    La ola es mía.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Pricetag View Post
    Did the 'Niners bring in a proven QB?
    Lol....I've been reading about the new and improved Kaepernick after working with some QB guru. I guess time will tell.

vCash

Kapernick sucks......
    Hey... maybe T BOONE can pony up and start a Stilleater newspaper... but the players would probably just use it to roll the weed.

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

Geneo Grissom = NASCAR package lol
    http://nesn.com/2015/05/patriots-pas...ed-creatively/

Belichick mentioned Grissom and Flowers have experience rushing the quarterback from defensive tackle, so we could see the Patriots trot out a NASCAR package, which would feature four defensive ends on the line of scrimmage.
    vroom vroom

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by swardboy View Post
    Lol....I've been reading about the new and improved Kaepernick after working with some QB guru. I guess time will tell.
    Kurt Warner. Pretty good QB to learn from.

Sooner Starter Since71ASooner4Life's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Breadburner View Post
    Kapernick sucks......

Yep.

Despite decades of evidence, its amazing how many people still think some combination of above average running ability can make up for less than great passing ability and somehow translate to being a great NFL QB. Tennessee Titan fans are next in line to see that it doesn't work - unless their prized recruit somehow becomes a better passer. If not he's destined for the scrap heap with RG3.

I'll probably get plenty of argument with what I say next, and that is that Russell Wilson isn't among the elite QBs. 200 yards a game passing and running for 50 doesn't come close to what an Aaron Rodgers does. And the way Seattle doesn't appear hurried to hand him a $100M contract, it looks to me that they don't see him in the elite class either.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Since71ASooner4Life View Post
    Yep.

Despite decades of evidence, its amazing how many people still think some combination of above average running ability can make up for less than great passing ability and somehow translate to being a great NFL QB. Tennessee Titan fans are next in line to see that it doesn't work - unless their prized recruit somehow becomes a better passer. If not he's destined for the scrap heap with RG3.

I'll probably get plenty of argument with what I say next, and that is that Russell Wilson isn't among the elite QBs. 200 yards a game passing and running for 50 doesn't come close to what an Aaron Rodgers does. And the way Seattle doesn't appear hurried to hand him a $100M contract, it looks to me that they don't see him in the elite class either.
    IMO, it remains to be seen if that's an issue with MM, or rather, will he make the transition from the spread to a pro style. He was pretty darn deadly in the former (68% Comp. % w/ 42 TD's against only 4 picks), but so was a guy named Tebow (who was actually 2nd in career passing efficiency behind Bradford until MM overtook him for that spot this past year) & we all know how that one worked out when he tried to make said switch.
    Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb.

Sooner Starter Since71ASooner4Life's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Salt City Sooner View Post
    IMO, it remains to be seen if that's an issue with MM, or rather, will he make the transition from the spread to a pro style. He was pretty darn deadly in the former (68% Comp. % w/ 42 TD's against only 4 picks), but so was a guy named Tebow (who was actually 2nd in career passing efficiency behind Bradford until MM overtook him for that spot this past year) & we all know how that one worked out when he tried to make said switch.

Admittedly, I didn't see that much of Marioto. But from what I did see (mostly highlight film) I wasn't overly impressed with his throwing motion. And not that it was unimpressive, but most of the highlights I saw were throwing to wide open receivers which means nothing. Well, maybe Tebow cant do that :>)

He's a fine human being and because of that I really want to see him do well, but I just cant say I see a high probability that he will. Unfortunately, that unfine human being from FSU looks like the better prospect. But what the heck do I know - I predicted that character would play a significant role and he wouldn't be even a high round draft pick.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Tear Down This Wall's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Since71ASooner4Life View Post
    Yep.

Agree, 117%. Generally, though, this is the genius of Pete Carroll - he coaches and puts together teams that don't really too heavily on the QB to be successful. He seems to do this:

(1) Start with a hard-nosed, run-stopping defense
    (2) Identify what his offensive skill players can do, then shapes the offense around their skill sets.

I know that looks really, really simple. And, it is. There is a reason simple-minded Pete is in Seattle taking the Seahawks to Super Bowls while trick-it-up-and-ignore-the-defense Mike Leach sits on the other side of the state with an ever failing Wazzu.

I dislike both Pete and Mike. But, give me tough-in-the-trenches as*s-kickers over whizz-bang-offensive geniuses every time.

We need to get back to simplifying the game on offense and being tougher in the trenches on defense. We have gotten way far away from that. Too far away.
    "General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"
    President Ronald Reagan at the Berlin Wall, June 12, 1987

vCash

While Wilson may be a system QB in Seattle, I don't believe he represents an abundant commodity either. The guy is extremely elusive and smart. He only runs in very low risk situations and protects himself a high percentage of the time. I believe he is less likely to get hurt than a pocket passer because he will escape that awkward, twisting take downs the immobile guys take. He also has a very strong arm. He may not last into his mid-30s since he might lose a step and can't make up for that in the pocket with his height, but he is not a QB that can be easily replaced by some random dual threat guy out of college.

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

Scrambling QBs sometimes have their way with certain NFL defenses and college ones too. My beloved Packers have fallen playoff victim to Michael Vick and Colin Kaepernick, just like my beloved Sooners fell in the Cotton Bowl to Juanito Futbol.

QBs by definition must be pass-first in the NFL, because their health mandates it, as does today's pass-happy NFL. To Marvin Lewis' credit, he knew exactly how to get scrambler Johnny:

Quote Originally Posted by Bengals coach Marvin Lewis last December
    You’ll get a little bit more movement if Manziel’s the quarterback, the thing that they did against Buffalo. But other than that, no, that doesn’t impact you at all. You gotta go defend the offense. You don’t defend the player.”

“Particularly a midget.”
    Before you know it, he's running into traffic to prove his manliness and goes out for the season on injury