Thread: Anniversary

vCash

Anniversary

Sic Semper Tyrannis.
    2/2

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Turd_Ferguson's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Anniversary

Heh. Think I'm gonna get the Killing Lincoln book. Heard it was good.

OleVet Posse Instigator

SoonerFans.com Elite Member FaninAma's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SicEmBaylor View Post
    Sic Semper Tyrannis.
    2/2
    Needed to be done about 24 months earlier. It would have saved the lives of a lot of immigrants and delayed the power grab by the federal government.
    Beware the man who would rule you for your own good. He will never cease. He will regulate every aspect of your life, destroy your liberty and enslave you, and sleep well convinced that he has made the world a better place.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Turd_Ferguson's Avatar
    vCash

OleVet Posse Instigator

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SicEmBaylor View Post
    Sic Semper Tyrannis.
    2/2
    Why the 2/2?
    Ukraine: Not Our Fight.

More epicycles!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by FaninAma View Post
    Needed to be done about 24 months earlier. It would have saved the lives of a lot of immigrants and delayed the power grab by the federal government.
    This thread getting bumped reminded me, what are you talking about exactly with this post?

I guess some would rather live in a world that saw slavery continue and states' rights trump the union? I'd like to read an alternative history of that alternative. Something tells me that Germany, Japan, etc. would have benefited from that outcome and the 50 states would have broken down into 3-6 countries, ironically, possibly similar to the power 5 football conferences.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Serenity Now View Post
    This thread getting bumped reminded me, what are you talking about exactly with this post?

I guess some would rather live in a world that saw slavery continue and states' rights trump the union? I'd like to read an alternative history of that alternative. Something tells me that Germany, Japan, etc. would have benefited from that outcome and the 50 states would have broken down into 3-6 countries, ironically, possibly similar to the power 5 football conferences.
    "The Guns of the South" by Harry Turtledove. Time travelling South Africans go back to bring AK-47s to General Lee, and change history.

"How Few Remain" also by Harry Turtledove. No science fiction involved here, just randomness - the North doesn't intercept General Lee's orders prior to Antietam, Lee's invasion of the North succeeds, France and the United Kingdom recognize the CSA, and North and South go their separate ways - all in the prologue, IIRC. Most of the book concerns the first rematch, in the 1880's. There's an interesting subplot concerning the Mormons in Utah, and Sic'Em would love reading of the fate of Abraham Lincoln. All in all, a much better book.

He then adds three sequels covering the so-called Great War, three in the interwar years, and four more for the alternative Dub Dub Two. Turtledove comes up with some great ideas for alternative history, and writes a great book based on each, but then writes sequels with increasing levels of hackery. In fact I haven't gotten around to all of the WW2 books. Nevertheless, I still highly recommend "How Few Remain."

There exists an e-book, somewhere on my to-read list, in which Lincoln loses the 1860 election and leads some of the Northern states to secede.

In fact there is a large sub-genre of Civil War alternate history. Enjoy.
    Ukraine: Not Our Fight.

More epicycles!

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

SNL has a "what if" series of skits too. I recall

What if Eleanor Roosevelt could fly? - would it have changed WWII?

What if Superman had landed in Nazi Germany? would it have changed WWII?

The answer to both was "no". ER would have been shot down by flack. The US would have developed a Krypton device to defeat Superman.