Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    Wishing I was moving to Monroe, Oklahoma...
    vCash

The Alinsky way to govern...

http://www.wsj.com/articles/the-alin...ing-1428619834

April 10, 2015

The Wall Street Journal

982 Words

Copyright © 2015, Dow Jones & Company, Inc.

Arizona Rep. Raul Grijalva, the ranking Democrat on the House Natural Resources Committee, recently caused a stir by sending letters to seven university presidents seeking background information on scientists and professors who had given congressional testimony that failed to endorse what is the conventional wisdom in some quarters regarding climate change. One of the targets was Steven Hayward, a colleague of mine at Pepperdine's School of Public Policy.

Though the congressman lacked legal authority to demand information, his aggressive plan, which came to light in late February, should not be a surprise at a time when power holders from the White House on down are employing similar means against perceived enemies.

Mr. Grijalva left a clue about how he operates in 2013 when the magazine In These Times asked about his legislative strategy. "I'm a Saul Alinsky guy," he said, referring to the community organizer and activist who died in 1972, "that's where I learned this stuff."

What sort of stuff? Mr. Grijalva sent his letters not to the professors but to university presidents, without (at least in the case of Mr. Hayward) the professors' knowledge. Mr. Hayward was not even employed by Pepperdine at the time of his congressional testimony in 2011.

But targeting institutions and their leaders is pure Alinsky; so are the scare tactics. Mr. Grijalva's staff sent letters asking for information about the professors, with a March 16 due date -- asking, for instance, if they had accepted funding from oil companies -- using official congressional letterhead, and followed up with calls from Mr. Grijalva's congressional office. This is a page from Alinsky's book, in both senses of the word: "Power is not only what you have but what the enemy thinks you have," reads one tip in his 1971 "Rules for Radicals."

Yet adopting Alinsky's tactics may not in this case fit with Alinsky's philosophy. This is Alinsky with a twist. Despite myriad philosophical inconsistencies, "Rules for Radicals" is meant to empower the weaker against the stronger. Alinsky writes: "The Prince was written by Machiavelli for the Haves on how to hold power. Rules for Radicals is written for the Have-Nots on how to take it away."

In a similar vein, the political philosopher Jean Bethke Elshtain supported Alinsky's work in getting disengaged communities -- typically in lower socio-economic strata -- to assume the difficult responsibilities of citizenship. As a way of challenging "big government," even conservatives such as former House Majority Leader Dick Armey have recommended Alinsky's tactics (minus his professed hatred of capitalism, etc.).

But what happens when Machiavelli's Prince reads and employs "Rules for Radicals"? In 2009 President Obama's friend and adviser Valerie Jarrett was asked on CNN about media bias, particularly at Fox News, and she responded: "What the administration has said very clearly is that we're going to speak truth to power." I remember thinking: "Wait a minute, you're the White House. You are the power."

In that sense President Obama's election was both the climax of Alinsky's vision and an existential crisis for that vision. Alinsky promoted the few tactics available to the downtrodden: irreverence, ridicule and deception. "Pick the target, freeze it, personalize it, and polarize it," he wrote. So the rise to power of the world's most famous community organizer raises a question: Should Alinskyite tactics be employed by those in power, or should they be reserved for those without?

Mr. Grijalva's campaign against seven academics serves as a cautionary tale of what can happen when power adopts these strategies to suppress opposition. The congressman's office arranged additional pressure by notifying national and local media that these professors were under "investigation." On the day the letters went out, the Washington Post blared: "House Dems: Did Big Oil seek to sway scientists in climate debate?"

After receiving a call from a Grijalva staffer, our local Malibu Times obliged with the front-page headline, "Pepperdine Professor Investigated by Congressman." The online Delaware News Journal, the hometown newspaper for David Legates at the University of Delaware, wrote: "UD's David Legates caught in climate change controversy." Alabama's Huntsville Times had a piece under the headline: "Arizona congressman asking questions about outside funding for UAH climate expert John Christy."

To their credit, several editorial boards came to the defense of the professors. The Arizona Republic, the home-state newspaper of Mr. Grijalva and targeted Arizona State University professor Robert Balling, wrote that Mr. Grijalva's campaign "fits the classic definition of a witch hunt." Rep. Grijalva on March 2 acknowledged to National Journal that some of the information he demanded from the universities was "overreach" but defended his demand for information about funding sources.

How did it come to this? The inability of politicians to confront another's argument, much less to attempt to persuade the other side, has become standard operating procedure. Now this toxic approach is extending to the broader world of policy -- including scientific research. Instead of evaluating the quality of the research, opponents make heavy-handed insinuations about who funds it -- as though that matters if the science is sound. And now just about every climate scientist employed by an American university knows that Washington is watching.

More broadly, what has happened is that a generation of American politicians who came of age during Saul Alinsky's lifetime has moved into positions of institutional power that he so often derided as "the enemy." They are showing an inability to leave behind Alinsky's tactics that were intended for the weak against the strong. Civil discourse and academic freedom suffer while the "Prince" becomes more powerful.

---

Mr. Peterson is the executive director of the Davenport Institute for Public Engagement at Pepperdine's School of Public Policy.
    Everything progressives do is aimed at weakening democracy, capitalism and the social and cultural institutions that support those things...... They are about subjugating people and being a ruling class.

vCash

Re: The Alinsky way to govern...

so what is so overreaching about that?

i'd rather not have "experts", that are just oil company shills, advising the government on policy

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Turd_Ferguson's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by yermom View Post
    so what is so overreaching about that?

i'd rather not have "experts", that are just oil company shills, advising the government on policy
    So, any scientist/professor that doesn't go along with the "global warming" crew, is an oil company shill?

Also, the dude in question was the one that admitted the overreach.
    Rep. Grijalva on March 2 acknowledged to National Journal that some of the information he demanded from the universities was "overreach" but defended his demand for information about funding sources.

OleVet Posse Instigator

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Scientists were telling us that cigarettes didn't link to cancer too. They were funded by tobacco. If we don't learn from our past we are doomed to repeat it.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Serenity Now View Post
    Scientists were telling us that cigarettes didn't link to cancer too. They were funded by tobacco. If we don't learn from our past we are doomed to repeat it.
    What restrictions on government power and control do you think are appropriate? (snicker) By the way, why do you suppose tobacco isn't illegal?

Should it be?
    Put a lid on it! Kiss it goodbye. We gave it away, and apparently thought it made sense to do so.

vCash

what you all fail to understand SN and yermom is the chilling effect of the Alinskyites and other in FEDGOV to stifle true research. For a fact, I discredit Anthropomorphic global warming. Research has shown over and over the falsehoods used to prop up their "theory". This is truly a grab for money through taxation in order to move money and power from one area to another. Research has shown that we are cooling, the temperatures recorded by NASA, NOAA have been fudged to show more warming, instrument shelters have not been repositioned according to standards and they are recording the Urban Heat Island effect.

SO there is plenty to question and by also querying researchers from congress puts a pall on those who may be researching contrary ideas. Think about the researcher in Australia who had proof that all ulcers were caused by bacteria, but that the maintstream academicians ostracized him, He was correct!

Extremely chilling...The Progressives and Alinskyites see power and wealth transfer any way they can... They are wrong and need to be shut down.
    Everything progressives do is aimed at weakening democracy, capitalism and the social and cultural institutions that support those things...... They are about subjugating people and being a ruling class.

vCash

even if it is wrong, maybe our cities might not look like China's in a few years

the oil companies are already transferring wealth in the wrong direction anyway, but show me an expert scientist with a dissenting view on this that isn't funded by big oil, or some other corporation with a vested interest and i'd be very surprised

vCash

History is going to treat you people poorly.

I dont think cigarettes should be illegal. Everyone should simply know what happens. The scientists paid by the tobacco lobby wanted to keep that information from us. Sounds like a repeat of history to me.

Carbon credits was dumb. But so is pretending that we have zero impact.

vCash

Love the Alinsky retort. accuse others of what you are doing... Right...

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by TheHumanAlphabet View Post
    Love the Alinsky retort. accuse others of what you are doing... Right...
    Truth hurts.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by yermom View Post
    even if it is wrong, maybe our cities might not look like China's in a few years

the oil companies are already transferring wealth in the wrong direction anyway, but show me an expert scientist with a dissenting view on this that isn't funded by big oil, or some other corporation with a vested interest and i'd be very surprised
    its this type of science that explains why the North Pole completely melted in 2012.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Turd_Ferguson's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by okie52 View Post
    its this type of science that explains why the North Pole completely melted in 2012.
    I didn't use my fireplace as much that year, so that's why...

OleVet Posse Instigator

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Turd_Ferguson View Post
    I didn't use my fireplace as much that year, so that's why...
    Santa Claus and al gore say thanks...

vCash

Hmmmm, not quite sure about this thread..is this about Alinsky? Global warming?
    Not understanding extreme weather patterns? Just curious....

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by rock on sooner View Post
    Hmmmm, not quite sure about this thread..is this about Alinsky? Global warming?
    Not understanding extreme weather patterns? Just curious....
    Hell Bro I dont understand all of a sudden this Alinsky crap!
    Never heard that name till just a few months maybe a year ago.
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

If God wanted Men to look women in the eyes, He wouldnt have gave em Boobs !

vCash

Your buddies have been singing his name since 2008. And Jeremiah wright.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Serenity Now View Post
    Your buddies have been singing his name since 2008. And Jeremiah wright.
    There ya go wrapping every one in the same blanket Go
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

If God wanted Men to look women in the eyes, He wouldnt have gave em Boobs !

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by olevetonahill View Post
    Fvck you too!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by olevetonahill View Post
    they aren't your buddies?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone! View Post
    What restrictions on government power and control do you think are appropriate? (snicker) By the way, why do you suppose tobacco isn't illegal?

Should it be?
    Tobacco isn't illegal because (1) there's a well-funded tobacco lobby, and (2) tobacco is well-established in our culture, and we've seen what happens when we try to make something well-established in our culture, illegal (unconstitutional, in fact). No, it shouldn't be illegal, because (short answer) making it illegal would do more harm than the status quo. Not the least of those multiple harms would be creating an additional organization for government suppression of behavior that harms only the person doing the behavior.
    Ukraine: Not Our Fight.

More epicycles!