Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spring Game

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Spring Game

The offense was vanilla (which makes sense for a spring game) and the defense forced several turnovers.

Dede Westbrook is very explosive.

Mark Andrews looks like another Jermaine Gresham.

Jeff Mead made several nice catches.

The offense was very balanced. Thought Mayfield looked the most comfortable, but made a few bad decisions. 1 was he threw deep into triple coverage which resulted in an interception.

Brooks looked good at running back but he won't see much time, just too much depth at running back.

The defense was vanilla too.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Re: Spring Game

Not much to say really. I think mayfield has the starting position wrapped up...

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Once again we saw knight just not be able to throw the ball accurately. He reminds me a lot of Chris Rix. Tons of talent makes spectacular plays mixed in with more bad plays than spectacular...

Sooner Starter
    vCash

I really like that swing pass in the flat to Ross that he took down the sideline for a TD. Bet we see that again to him and Mixon. Yep, Dede is fast and slippery...secondary defense looked better than I thought it would. Hopefully that's the Kerry Cooks influence.
    "Image is what people think we are. Integrity is what we really are"

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by ObiKaTony View Post
    Once again we saw knight just not be able to throw the ball accurately. He reminds me a lot of Chris Rix. Tons of talent makes spectacular plays mixed in with more bad plays than spectacular...
    Completely agree...There was a play in the first half where Shepard got wide open going down the middle of the field nobody within 10 yards of him, if he catches it he walks into the end zone and Knight over threw him by 10 yards.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Can't tell much so far from the comments...here in IA dint get
    to watch.....

Its on at 8pm Rock

vCash

Mayfield is not that good

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by rock on sooner View Post
    Can't tell much so far from the comments...here in IA dint get
    to watch.....
    Go over the LT and you'll get the picture: this team would be pressed to beat a good HS team.

In other words: DOOMED!

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Tear Down This Wall's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by REDREX View Post
    None of them are; that's the problem we're going to have this season...again. Plus, we're running a high school offense.

Sad to watch Stoops on the decline like this after his fast start. But, nothing good lasts forever. Gotta be keeping our eyes out for the new hire in 2016 or 2017. Just have to hope Castiglione is awake enough to see what is happening and is preparing a short list of coaches to call when the time comes.
    "General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"
    President Ronald Reagan at the Berlin Wall, June 12, 1987

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

Did anyone else stuck at home notice the kinder, gentler Mike Stoops with his quiet demeanor, glasses and press box designation yesterday?

After about a decade of him screaming on the sideline, perhaps he's been nuzzled. Or perhaps, he's getting old and is finally ready to settle down and be a fatherly figure of support and encouragement rather than continuous tough love.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    Did anyone else stuck at home notice the kinder, gentler Mike Stoops with his quiet demeanor, glasses and press box designation yesterday?

After about a decade of him screaming on the sideline, perhaps he's been nuzzled. Or perhaps, he's getting old and is finally ready to settle down and be a fatherly figure of support and encouragement rather than continuous tough love.
    Did you really mean "nuzzled" (thinks co-ed fraternizing allegations) or "muzzled" ?

vCash

I probably meant muzzled but maybe big bad Mike Stoops just needed a cuddle to soften up his crazy side

YES, I AGREE THAT BAKER MAYFIELD IS NOT THAT GOOD. OPPOSING DEFENSES, PLEASE TAKE NOTE THAT YOU CAN LEAVE OUR WIDE RECEIVERS WIDE OPEN... that's it, stack the box... single man coverage... I SUGGEST ZERO-MAN COVERAGE... yup... expect the run... DID I MENTION THAT SAMAJE PERINE IS THE NCAA SINGLE-GAME RECORD HOLDER AND YOU DON'T WANT TO BE *THAT* TEAM THAT GIVES UP MORE YARDAGE TO HIM?

ok that should suffice.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Tear Down This Wall View Post
    None of them are; that's the problem we're going to have this season...again. Plus, we're running a high school offense.

Sad to watch Stoops on the decline like this after his fast start. But, nothing good lasts forever. Gotta be keeping our eyes out for the new hire in 2016 or 2017. Just have to hope Castiglione is awake enough to see what is happening and is preparing a short list of coaches to call when the time comes.
    At least you have moved on to the acceptance phase of grief.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member jkm, the stolen pifwafwi's Avatar
    vCash

I personally didn't think that Mayfield was all that bad. Yes, he made some bad decisions on those deep outs to 2nd and 3rd stringers, but historically, we are a better team when we have someone willing to go down the field versus someone who only throws around the LOS. Remember in 2002 when Hybl went 200 throws without an INT and then threw 4 against Texas? Sometimes, they have your number. At least they weren't taken back to the house.

Pros:
    1. He sells the shovel pass like Heupel - more than any other play I saw this weekend, getting the shovel pass back made me the most excited. The shovel pass is the most effective way we have to keep linebackers from sitting on our slants and shallow crosses. You combine 2-3 shovel passes with our running game and we are going to have guys running free under the safeties all day long.

2. He hits the slant/cross in stride. That is all you need in this offense to make it click until the bowl game. Honestly, the only piece of the puzzle we are missing is someone who is an artist at the option route.

Other notes:

1. Knight throws better with lousy footwork than good footwork. [shakes head]. He was closer to hitting the goal post than Sterling on that wide open post route.
    2. Probably should think about using Knight in the "belldozer" package around the goal line.
    3. Our secondary is fast but not quick. Lots of inconsistency, but when they hit their assignments they showed some good things. They catch better than last year's WRs.
    4. These WRs were sitting on the bench last year? Neal will be lucky to see the field if these kids keep it up. WTF Norvell?
    5. Most impressive hit was by a walkon safety. ugh.
    6. I think I like Hansen the most out of the QBs because he takes what is given without forcing the issue. The problem is that he is too raw on his reads right now. He'd probably be the starter in any traditional offense.

vCash

5. Most impressive hit was by a walkon safety. ugh.
    Or maybe he didn't get the message about no big hits allowed.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by jkm, the stolen pifwafwi View Post
    2. Probably should think about using Knight in the "belldozer" package around the goal line.
    I was wondering about the same thing. If Knight doesn't win the starting job, I almost have to think we'd be able to use him in some other situations, and maybe not just goal line. I wouldn't necessarily say that about most of our recent OC's, but I trust LR will find a way.

4. These WRs were sitting on the bench last year? Neal will be lucky to see the field if these kids keep it up. WTF Norvell?
    But were they at this level last year? I was going to say that they might have needed the RS, but...we used up Mead's without getting him a single catch (yeah...WTF Norvell?) At least Andrews redshirted. I was thinking the exact same thing about Neal, though, but I'm a little torn. Part of me thinks this new offense/coaching staff will do him a world of good, and the other half thinks it might not matter due to the rest of the talent.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    Or maybe he didn't get the message about no big hits allowed.
    Was our secondary allowed to tackle at all?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
    That's my story and I sticking to it.

vCash

heh heh heh now that you mention that it all makes sense

no wonder mike stoops was a choir boy upstairs --- his defenders were just doing as instructed