Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    Wishing I was moving to Monroe, Oklahoma...
    vCash

Re: Elizabeth Warren doesn't think Boston Bomber should get death penalty

The FEDGOV is seeking the DP. But I would like to see a daily DP if you know what I mean...
    Everything progressives do is aimed at weakening democracy, capitalism and the social and cultural institutions that support those things...... They are about subjugating people and being a ruling class.

vCash

The court system is so weird, it never ceases to baffle me. The bombing trial is now in the sentencing phase, and the lawyers are making a big deal about this guy giving the finger to a camera while waiting for arraignment. That's is an issue on whether this guy gets the DP?! Jebus, this guy assembled a bomb, set it down in a crowd of people and then detonated it. How in the world can the act of flipping the bird to no one in particular possibly be a factor?

SoonerFans.com Elite Member jkm, the stolen pifwafwi's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Serenity Now View Post
    Damn. We agree except for that last part. "Very seldom" may be accurate. However, while even once is very, very seldom it is one too many times. Our country has killed innocent people. I have a problem with that. Especially given the fact that some science (i.e. DNA) is getting better and better.
    And yet just yesterday they released the findings of the FBI giving knowingly bad testimony for over 15 years on hair samples, some of which was used to convict in death penalty cases.

The death penalty is an absolute farce. The only people who can get the death penalty are those who claim they are innocent. The guilty ones like Gary Ridgway (who killed 48 people) just confess and get life in prison.

Then you have to ask yourself, is our legal system trustworthy enough to actual be trusted with the death penalty? In order to be trusted with it, you have to have an iron clad clemency policy for when you make mistakes. It takes a frickin miracle to overturn a conviction.

As evidenced by there are still men living in prison who had their confessions gitmo'd out of them (sensory deprivation, starvation, beatings, etc) in the 50s and the states REFUSE to give them a fair trial because Miranda wasn't a law then and doesn't apply. Read the arrest and questioning of this guy -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Heirens

There are men on death row who were put there with expert testimony that was later proven to be hogwash and the experts had their licenses stripped. Those men are not allowed a new trial because it isn't enough to warrant one.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Turd_Ferguson's Avatar
    vCash

Kill'm all...let GOD sort'm out.

OleVet Posse Instigator

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    The court system is so weird, it never ceases to baffle me. The bombing trial is now in the sentencing phase, and the lawyers are making a big deal about this guy giving the finger to a camera while waiting for arraignment. That's is an issue on whether this guy gets the DP?! Jebus, this guy assembled a bomb, set it down in a crowd of people and then detonated it. How in the world can the act of flipping the bird to no one in particular possibly be a factor?
    I would say he appears to be unrepentant...something the court might take into consideration.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by okie52 View Post
    I would say he appears to be unrepentant...something the court might take into consideration.
    That's what the media is saying. If I were juror, it wouldn't mean squat to me if he begged his god for forgiveness or vowed to do it again given the chance. Nothing will replace all those limbs his bomb blew off. Of course, I'd probably be rejected as a juror for that.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

That's what the media is saying. If I were juror, it wouldn't mean squat to me if he begged his god for forgiveness or vowed to do it again given the chance. Nothing will replace all those limbs his bomb blew off. Of course, I'd probably be rejected as a juror for that.
    T'other way around. If you were against the death penalty, you would be rejected.

That's a way of making sure that in murder cases, the defendant will be judged by a jury of his peers.
    Ukraine: Not Our Fight.

More epicycles!

SoonerFans.com Elite Member jkm, the stolen pifwafwi's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by TAFBSooner View Post
    T'other way around. If you were against the death penalty, you would be rejected.

That's a way of making sure that in murder cases, the defendant will be judged by a jury of his peers.
    Which doesn't cause any kind of selection bias at all. This is just one major problem, the other is the sheer number of star witnesses in death penalty cases that are jailhouse snitches. There is a reason that the death penalty conviction rate is way out of skew statistically with every other crime.

vCash

That kind of balances being eliminated as a juror because of your occupation.

vCash

I agree...shouldn't make any difference but for some contrition matters.

vCash

Haven't thought of it that way. But I thought both lawyers had some say in jury selection and being either extremely pro- or extremely con- on the DP might get someone eliminated.

FWIW, I'm against the DP for pragmatic reasons, not morality reasons. But given it's on the books, I'd follow the law and if there is any case that is cut and dried, it's this one. Showing remorse or contempt wouldn't mean anything to me in this case because there is no path to reform here. The only question is the method of keeping this guy from society forever.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

14 people put to death who received testimony from the FBI and their bogus science. Just sayin. http://www.slate.com/articles/news_a...gerprints.html