Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member FaninAma's Avatar
    vCash

Did Anybody Watch "Killing Jesus" Last Night On National Geographic?

I thought it was very well done and well acted. They did leave out a few of the miracles that Jesus performed as descibed by the New Testament.

Having watched this account of the last years of Jesus' life I cannot understand why liberals do not embrace what he represents. His story is mainly about showing that the true power of God is shown through exhibiting grace and love to others(especially the weak, poor and sick). Christ stood up to the established oppressive religious and political authorities of the day and it cost him his life. I can only assume that liberals do not like the fact that Christ did expect some self-responsibility to go along with the grace and forgiveness he taught.
    Beware the man who would rule you for your own good. He will never cease. He will regulate every aspect of your life, destroy your liberty and enslave you, and sleep well convinced that he has made the world a better place.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Re: Did Anybody Watch "Killing Jesus" Last Night On National Geographic?

Didn't watch it but will check it out.

Is this what they call "trolling"?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Serenity Now View Post
    Didn't watch it but will check it out.

Is this what they call "trolling"?
    I would say no. And by the way, I think you have been very civil and thoughtful in your replies. It may take some of us a while to not react defensively to the liberal view point after dealing with Sooner8th's vitriol for so long.
    Beware the man who would rule you for your own good. He will never cease. He will regulate every aspect of your life, destroy your liberty and enslave you, and sleep well convinced that he has made the world a better place.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by FaninAma View Post
    I would say no. And by the way, I think you have been very civil and thoughtful in your replies. It may take some of us a while to not react defensively to the liberal view point after dealing with Sooner8th's vitriol for so long.
    Thanks. I'd take the opposite view on this from you but, as always, there's middle ground. Just off the top of my head though, I don't think JC would have a problem with the tyranny of health insurance or educating school kids. I also think he'd look at the exponentially growing income gap and wonder how one party is tacitly facilitating that with such abandon. He'd probably be less worried about securing our borders and more focused on securing our families. I think he'd also be critical of those abusing assistance programs and taking pictures of their junk.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Thanks. I'd take the opposite view on this from you but, as always, there's middle ground. Just off the top of my head though, I don't think JC would have a problem with the tyranny of health insurance or educating school kids. I also think he'd look at the exponentially growing income gap and wonder how one party is tacitly facilitating that with such abandon. He'd probably be less worried about securing our borders and more focused on securing our families. I think he'd also be critical of those abusing assistance programs and taking pictures of their junk.
    Think he'd be a supporter of gay marriage...I mean, it is an act of love.

vCash

I only disagree with 2 of your assertions. The income gap is growing not because one party is fascilitating it but because BOTH parties are fascilitating the growing income gap. You don't think Democrats favor the rich? You don't think that the super rich understand how to increase their wealth off of massive government spending through both defense and entitlement programs and then turn around and stymie competition through the regualtory jungle the same spendthrifts in Congress impose on small businesses?

I can't speak for Jesus but I feel he would have not approved of a gargantuan federal and state entitlement program turning compassion and charity for your fellow man into a gigantic, faceless bureucracy that promotes no human interaction in doling out its version of "charity". This deprives many of being able to experience giving or receiving true human grace/charity. What higher human qualities are fostered through the faceless redistribution of taxes especially when a significant percentage of those taxes go toward supporting the tax collectors and other beneficiaries of this system? Doesn't seem much different than the system the Romans had set up with Harod and the Pharises.

I am of the opinion that charity should be given with the expectation that the one receiving charity should make an honest effort to correct shortcomings in behavior or personal decision making that contributed to being in a position of needing charity. Now I understand that everybody who needs charity doesn't always have control over their position in life...especially children and the sick.....but most adults do.

I would agree that Christ did not recognize borders in the way he dealt with people but he also espoused obeying the laws of a society unless it directly conflicted with the laws of God. Now you may argue that enforcing immigration laws conflicts with the laws of God but you'll have to make a case for the reason you believe that.
    Last edited by FaninAma; 3/30/2015 at 02:46 PM.

vCash

I thought it was very well done and well acted. They did leave out a few of the miracles that Jesus performed as descibed by the New Testament.

Having watched this account of the last years of Jesus' life I cannot understand why liberals do not embrace what he represents. His story is mainly about showing that the true power of God is shown through exhibiting grace and love to others(especially the weak, poor and sick). Christ stood up to the established oppressive religious and political authorities of the day and it cost him his life. I can only assume that liberals do not like the fact that Christ did expect some self-responsibility to go along with the grace and forgiveness he taught.
    Surprised that you would say liberals do not embrace what Jesus
    represents! My church is packed with liberals, it is an open, affirming,
    welcoming congregation and there are some Pubs there, too! I think
    it is fair to say "some" liberals may feel that way, just as it is fair to
    say "some" Pubs may feel that way.....(and I didn't see the show
    you mentioned).

And, I agree with your point you made later about Serenity Now. It
    is certainly a calmer board in 8th's absence....

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by rock on sooner View Post
    Surprised that you would say liberals do not embrace what Jesus
    represents! My church is packed with liberals, it is an open, affirming,
    welcoming congregation and there are some Pubs there, too! I think
    it is fair to say "some" liberals may feel that way, just as it is fair to
    say "some" Pubs may feel that way.....(and I didn't see the show
    you mentioned).

And, I agree with your point you made later about Serenity Now. It
    is certainly a calmer board in 8th's absence....
    My initial post may have been a bit of an over generalization. But at least from the media and political side of the liberal spectrum you cannot deny that there is more than a small amount hostility shown toward the Christian faith. Does your Church understand exactly how the government has interferred with the traditional role of Churches in a community? I think the growth of federal entitlement programs has been a disaster for the cohesiveness of communities that once was the foundation of this country.

vCash

My initial post may have been a bit of an over generalization. But at least from the media and political side of the liberal spectrum you cannot deny that there is more than a small amount hostility shown toward the Christian faith. Does your Church understand exactly how the government has interferred with the traditional role of Churches in a community? I think the growth of federal entitlement programs has been a disaster for the cohesiveness of communities that once was the foundation of this country.
    Given how active we are in so many aspects of helping those who
    need help, I'd say the church is acutely aware of most forms of
    interference.

I certainly do not deny the hostility exists, but, I believe it is fair to say
    that the evangelical right aggressively fans the flames of hostility toward
    most federal programs, labeling them all entitlement. I have a hard time
    buying "entitlement" for those programs that working people have paid
    into. Now, SNAP is one example of abuse that is a whole 'nother story!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by rock on sooner View Post
    Given how active we are in so many aspects of helping those who
    need help, I'd say the church is acutely aware of most forms of
    interference.

I certainly do not deny the hostility exists, but, I believe it is fair to say
    that the evangelical right aggressively fans the flames of hostility toward
    most federal programs, labeling them all entitlement. I have a hard time
    buying "entitlement" for those programs that working people have paid
    into. Now, SNAP is one example of abuse that is a whole 'nother story!
    i don't disagree. Now I do have a hard time recalling any hostility toward social security or medicare by any religious types I have known. I think even the national "religious right" leaders(as you refer to them) would recognize the difference between programs that have been paid into and those that are truly entitlements.

I really cannot fathom a time when Americans ignored others in their community who needed help and let them go hungry or shelterless. Maybe there have been times when it happened. I guess the federal government has met the physical needs of all in this country but it sure has come up short in addressing the spiritual needs.

vCash

i don't disagree. Now I do have a hard time recalling any hostility toward social security or medicare by any religious types I have known. I think even the national "religious right" leaders(as you refer to them) would recognize the difference between programs that have been paid into and those that are truly entitlements.

I really cannot fathom a time when Americans ignored others in their community who needed help and let them go hungry or shelterless. Maybe there have been times when it happened. I guess the federal government has met the physical needs of all in this country but it sure has come up short in addressing the spiritual needs.
    Well, given the whole separation of church and state thing, you're right
    about spiritual needs aspect. On the other hand, with so many being
    below the poverty line, not so sure about the physical needs part. We
    have had many discussions on this board about ways to help those in
    need to help themselves, some really good ideas that have even been
    suggested to our elected leaders only to fall on deaf ears (both parties).

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 hawaii 5-0's Avatar
    vCash

Would Jesus have been a Republican ?

Would Jesus tried to overturn Obamacare?

Deny millions a semblance of adequate healthcare?

Gimme a break.

Laff O' tha Day !!

5-0
    BOY HOWDY !!!!

vCash

So Jesus is a democrat?

So you think Jesus would be out front demanding Obamacare when he could cure everyone that was sick with a wave of his hand (or whatever it is he would do)?

But I'm sure he would be protesting that gays are not allowed to be married. Heh heh

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 hawaii 5-0's Avatar
    vCash

Silly Thread.

5-0
    BOY HOWDY !!!!

vCash

Heh heh

vCash

I'm not a believer in the divinity of Jesus, but I'd rather his name and legacy not be politicized.

vCash

There are many liberals, myself included, who appreciate Jesus' teachings, yet still have problems with "the Christian Faith" as it is preached today by some churches. There are many, many more reference in the Bible to how to treat the poor and the stranger than there are on sexuality, for example.

BTW, this is not a new dichotomy- see Thomas Jefferson.
    Ukraine: Not Our Fight.

More epicycles!

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Turd_Ferguson's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by TAFBSooner View Post
    There are many liberals, myself included, who appreciate Jesus' teachings, yet still have problems with "the Christian Faith" as it is preached today by some churches. There are many, many more reference in the Bible to how to treat the poor and the stranger than there are on sexuality, for example.

BTW, this is not a new dichotomy- see Thomas Jefferson.
    So, what does your post have to do with Fan's post that you quoted?

OleVet Posse Instigator

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by hawaii 5-0 View Post
    Silly Thread.

5-0
    Opinion noted. See ya in some other thread. Sorry this discussion makes you so uncomfortable.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SicEmBaylor View Post
    I'm not a believer in the divinity of Jesus, but I'd rather his name and legacy not be politicized.
    I am not trying to politicize Jesus. I just fail to understand howanybody thinks He would have favored ceding our responsibilities to look out for our neighbors to a faceless, morally neutral self-serving federal government.