Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Looking Forward to 2016

Last year I made a thread after our disappointing loss to ND State, and surprisingly, it wasn't too bad. Normally, pulling up old threads is painful for all, but I'm not too ashamed to post this link:

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/sho...oking-Forward&

I opened up with this statement:

Last night I vented quite a bit about Kruger. I've said plenty on that subject, so I'm not planning to use this thread to vent any further. He's not THE guy I want on my sideline for a crucial game, but if we get a good enough team, I don't expect him to sabotage it. He's certainly no Travis Ford. With that said, I think this team could be talented enough over the next two years that we could end Kansas' streak, and give Kruger his first outright regular season conference championship.
    I stick by that statement 100%. Kruger did reach the Sweet 16 this year, but I can't say his coaching was that impressive. You could easily make the case that he was outcoached in all three games, but that might not be fair. Getting outdueled by Izzo isn't anything to hang your head about, and if we were looking for a new head coach, Archie Miller is the first guy I'd call. I'm not saying we should fire him; that last statement is if he were to hypothetically step away from the game, which I don't see happening anytime soon. I wouldn't say Kruger made any boneheaded decisions that cost us our game last night, but he was outmaneuvered by Izzo.

Additionally, I still stand by the statement that this team is talented enough that we could end Kansas' streak, and get Kruger his first ever outright conference championship. It's crazy to think that KSU is the team that kept us from claiming the conference crown, and that we would have shared the crown had we just held onto a 20 point lead against ISU in the second half.

I probably should wait to start a thread like this until I know what Buddy is doing, but I'm going to go ahead and assume he stays, which is far from certain. I'm also going to assume nothing unexpected happens like when M'Baye left.

Our only losses are Thomas and Bennett, and if you have followed my posts, you probably know I think of our only loss as Thomas. Bennett was so close to putting it together, but he was just too soft, and he got absolutely bullied by teams like KU and MSU. I just couldn't take it anymore. On paper, Thomas is a huge loss. He's our only low-post threat, and on a team that has very little half-court offense from its guards, that's crucial. He came up big for us on several occasions, but I never felt as if we were fully utilizing him, so his loss may not be as big as it should have been. It's definitely a noticeable hole to fill, though. Fortunately, we have a guy to replace him, and it's the guy I wrote about last year:

I expect Buford to step into Clark's role next year. He's our most highly rated recruit, and while he has plenty of things to work on, he appears our most college-ready player, and he's the only one I expect to start from day 1. I watched some highlights films of his, and I saw countless dunks. One in particular that stuck out to me was an offensive rebound that he semi-windmill dunked. He's not going to get confused with Vince Carter, but it took enough athleticism that I don't think many of our recent players could have done it other than Blake. His jump shot needs work, but apparently it is quickly developing, and he's supposedly become semi-reliable knocking down 3's as a trailer. If he can get them to respect his jump shot, he's going to be dangerous on offense, as he has a very quick first step and can get to the basket (and finish). I don't think he'll replace Cam's offensive presence as a freshman, but I'm very excited about his defense. One ESPN analyst claimed he was as good as any PF in the country at blocking shots. We sure could have used that this year, and I bet Kruger can't wait to get this kid on campus.
    Most people tend to think he'll be a 3, and if we have to replace Buddy, that's certainly a reasonable idea. I like him a lot more as a 4 with range, though. I compared him to Clark last year, which made sense, because he was filling Clark's role, but I think he compares just as well with Osby. In reality, he's probably somewhere in between those two. When it comes to kids that haven't logged a single minute with us, I haven't been this excited since Willie Warren. I don't expect him to rebound as well as Spangler, but he should be a major improvement on offense, perimeter defense, and rim protecting.

I've been saying since Spangler's sophomore year here that I really like him, and that he's really helping our team, but if we want to win conference and make a Final Four run, he's going to have to come off the bench. We came surprisingly close this year, but to some extent, I'm still sticking with that statement. Almost everybody seems to have Spangler in the starting lineup, but I did pretty well with my prediction last year, so I'm going to muster up the courage to put together a different starting lineup. Khadeem Lattin was really coming on this year, and was the only quality player off of the bench for us. He's still raw, but he has the athleticism and work ethic to be great. I'm betting that he will get considerably better every year, and as I've said before, he was our best NBA prospect this year. I also think he has more offensive potential than most of us give him credit for. I, along with everybody else, cringed when he looked to score this year, but his jumper didn't look too bad. It needs some work, and I don't think he'll be a force on both ends of the court until his junior or senior year, but I think his jumper will be respectable next year. This is what I said about him last year, and it still seems about right:

As much as I think Buford will help, I think Lattin could be the real gem of this class. He is very raw, but his potential is through the roof. He's tall, athletic, runs the court really well, and has great shot blocking ability. Most of his early offense will come from transition dunks and offensive rebounds, but that's alright for now, because his defensive game is more developed. Given time, he could become quite a weapon on both ends of the floor, but we'll have to be patient with him. An ESPN analyst claimed he could develop into a player that is mentioned with Blake Griffin, Harvey Grant, and Waymon Tisdale. I wouldn't go that far, but while he isn't the best center right now, he's got as much potential as just about anybody.
    As you've probably put together, this is my starting lineup:

Lattin
    Buford
    Cousins
    Hield
    Woodard

That's almost the exact same lineup I predicted for this year after last year's loss. The only difference was that Cousins outperformed my expectations, and we weren't able to pull in a big-time guard like Trier.

Speaking of Cousins, he got quite a bit of the blame for last night's loss. That's nonsense to me. Last year I said he needed develop into a lockdown defender. Not only was he one of the best defenders in the Big XII this year, but he also lead the conference in 3-Pt shooting percentage. That's his role. He locks down guys on defense, knocks down open three, and leads the team with intensity. He did a great job defensively, and only got one look from 3. It would have been nice if he'd have bailed our offense out, but just about everybody can take some blame for our offensive shortcomings other than Thomas. There's not a coach in the country that wouldn't be overjoyed to have Cousins. It's just not his role to be a big-time scorer.

Speaking of scoring, Booker had a dreadful season. I said we needed a three point shooter off the bench, and highlighted Booker as the guy. Unfortunately, he wasn't the guy. He saved our season against Dayton, and I started to have faith in him again, but more than anybody, he killed us last night. We still need that guy, and it might be Booker next year, but if Rashard Odomes comes ready to play, Booker might find his backside glued to the bench. With Christian James coming in as well, it's almost a given that we're just waiting for Walker's scholarship to run out. I don't wish ill of any of our players, and want them all to succeed, but it might be best for OU if Walker tried his luck somewhere else. James seems like he might be the better of the freshmen coming in, and could be the stud of this class long-term, but it doesn't sound like his offense is NCAA-ready yet, and we have an epidemic of that in our backcourt already.

I've got more I could say, but I've spent more time than I intended to already, so here's my predictions for next year:

30 wins, Conference Champions, Final Four. 2016 is our year.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member GDC's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Looking Forward to 2016

I am also looking forward to next year, but I don't see Lattin starting over Spangler.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GDC View Post
    I am also looking forward to next year, but I don't see Lattin starting over Spangler.
    It really just depends on who else is in the starting lineup, and I'm also banking on Lattin improving considerably more in the offseason than Spangler (I think Spangler is pretty close to maxed out, and the opposite is true for Lattin).

I still think Spangler should get good minutes. I just think it should be 15-20 minutes off the bench of absolutely wearing the opponent down on the boards.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

What was evident the last 5+ games of the season is OU has very good shooters, Booker included, that take really bad shots. Buddy gets itchy and takes contested threes too often do to the teams lack of offensive production. Cousins loves that step back and off the dribble jumper and as again we saw in the Tournament he's shooting 40% from behind the arc when set and about 20% from 2 pt land. Booker just comes in and takes any shot he can, while he can, and often times takes off balance, ill-advised shots. Woodard is actually pretty solid from 15-18 feet and if he stays there can be very effective.

If I were king, and yes Eielson I know you're happy I'm not. Lon has to either get a post player that can score in the paint with his back to the basket. Thomas did that from time to time but really seemed more comfortable catching outside the paint, squaring up and putting in on the floor. Spangler is completely offensively inept and Lattin looks to be another Longar Longar project. The other option is to ditch the 3 man weave offense and getting a big that can screen the high post, roll off and either hit the 15-18 footer or finish at the rim off of his own dribble.

While I do think OU played better defense, and I agree with Eielson that Cousins was very good, our interior D with Spangler and Lattin will not be good enough to compete for a NCAA Championship. Buddy played great defense last night but he has mental lapses when Lon goes to the switching man to man. Lattin can be a very good defender but as aggressive as he is foul trouble will be an issue with increased minutes. Gotta find a guard who ca defend when Woodard is off the floor.

Wishlist for 2016:

1. Better offensive scheme that doesn't rely so heavily on shooting contested jump shots
    2. More agressive boxing out and defensive rebounding
    3. Better bench play
    4. Avoiding that 4-5 minute midwestern drought in offense

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 aurorasooner's Avatar
    vCash

Looking Forward to 2016
    Maybe.

If we get some kind of off-season conditioning/agility/ program for our big guys and they don't just stand around out of rebounding position waiting for our guards to shoot the ball. Also our guards need to play with some smarts, both with the type of shots they take and their ball movement outside of the simple top of the key weave and especially when driving the lane.

It'll be interesting to see if Lon and his assistants take the FB coach's gravy-train vacation "live off the past" type mentality to the off-season or they put in the grunt work (agility/conditioning/nutrition) to get our players ready for, next year's, what looks to be, a very competitive season.

It was a pretty good year especially with all of the outside distractions. Could've been a much better year, though with more mental toughness and less outside the program distractions down the stretch. While we owned Texas and OSU, we definitely coughed up some winnable games and scraped by some games against lesser dismal teams we should've won comfortably.

I noticed today that the Whorns canned Barnes which was expected, although he's laughing all the way to the bank, and their wimmen's BB team which steam-rolled our wimmen's team in the Big 12 tourney got absolutely bent-over embarrassed by 50 in the NCAAs.

College Athletics is a "what have you done for the alums now" business, and when the coaches,their staffs and especially the ADs and their staffs spend too much time on the golf course or the beach, patting themselves on the back for a pretty good year and give their HC's a long-term guaranteed base contract extensions and the assistants like-clockwork hefty raises for a pretty good year, the product and the Ws can spiral downward in a hurry.
    Last edited by aurorasooner; 3/28/2015 at 11:09 PM.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

I am very happy with Coach Kruger. Total class act.

We need 1 recruit who can create on his own. Seems that we rely on the spot-up jumper too much. When the other team gets their help-side rotation right we are never open for the shot.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by aurorasooner View Post
    Maybe.

If we get some kind of off-season conditioning/agility/ program for our big guys and they don't just stand around out of rebounding position waiting for our guards to shoot the ball. Also our guards need to play with some smarts, both with the type of shots they take and their ball movement outside of the simple top of the key weave and especially when driving the lane.

It'll be interesting to see if Lon and his assistants take the FB coach's gravy-train vacation "live off the past" type mentality to the off-season or they put in the grunt work (agility/conditioning/nutrition) to get our players ready for, next year's, what looks to be, a very competitive season.

It was a pretty good year especially with all of the outside distractions. Could've been a much better year, though with more mental toughness and less outside the program distractions down the stretch. While we owned Texas and OSU, we definitely coughed up some winnable games and scraped by some games against lesser dismal teams we should've won comfortably.
    Pretty much sums it all up.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 hawaii 5-0's Avatar
    vCash

We got as far this year as I could hope to expect.

I'm just glad we now have 3 guards that can penetrate the lane when needed. I've been waitin' a long time for that.

5-0
    BOY HOWDY !!!!

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 okiewaker's Avatar
    vCash
    Lon Kruger is a top notch coach and any criticism of him is just plain dumb. Having said that, I to look forward to next year.
    Posted from iOS app

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by S.PadreIsl.Sooner View Post
    We need 1 recruit who can create on his own. Seems that we rely on the spot-up jumper too much. When the other team gets their help-side rotation right we are never open for the shot.
    I'm hoping that guy is Dante Buford. I don't think either of our freshman can be that guy immediately.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by okiewaker View Post
    Lon Kruger is a top notch coach and any criticism of him is just plain dumb.
    No. He is not.

He's a good coach, and given the situation we were in, he was the right guy for the job (runs a clean program with some success). In no way, shape, or form is he an elite coach, though.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
    No. He is not.

He's a good coach, and given the situation we were in, he was the right guy for the job (runs a clean program with some success). In no way, shape, or form is he an elite coach, though.
    Pains me to agree with you but you are correct, so does that mean you're wrong

What I will say for Lon is he isn't one of these cerebral, "My Way Is The Best Way" kinda guy. He coaches to what he has and that's one of the reasons he's been successful with a variety of programs in a variety of leagues.

vCash
    Didn't say "elite". Scroll up 2 or 3 positions. Fvcking jaskass.
    Posted from iOS app

vCash

Didn't say "elite". Scroll up 2 or 3 positions. Fvcking jaskass.
    He's not "top-notch," either.

vCash
    In your puny little brain he is not top notch. In my puny little brain he is. It's subjective.
    Posted from iOS app

vCash

In your puny little brain he is not top notch. In my puny little brain he is. It's subjective.
    He's coached for 29 years now, and he's never won a single conference championship outright, and although he's had several successful seasons, he's never been able to string multiple successful seasons together. If we win 20 games next year and go to the NCAA tournament next year, it will be the most successful 3 year stretch of his career.

In 1987-1988 he went 25-9, and took K-State to the Elite 8. He followed that up by going 19-11, 17-15, and then left the program.

In 1993-1994 he went 29-8, and took Florida to the Final 4. He followed that up by going by 17-3, 12-16, and then he left the program.

At Illinois, he had a lot of 2nd round exits with an 11th place finish in the Big 10 mixed in.

At UNLV he had his only 30-win season in 2006-2007, and went to the Sweet 16. He followed that a 2nd round exit, and then an NIT appearance.

He's good, but there is no way you can make the case that he is great, top-notch, or elite. I'd love to believe that Kruger is building a monster here, but his almost-30 year career says otherwise. He gets teams back on track quick, and then he hovers around Round of 32 level. Hopefully this time is different than his last 4 stops.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Good stuff, Eielson.

The number one thing I want to see next year: Woodard grow just a bit more and focus on the mental side of running the point. Just too many crucial mistakes with the ball for my tastes this year- I still give him the benefit of the doubt and chalk it up to inexperience/guy trying to make a play. However, I want to see him take better control of the offense and run the show. He certainly has the talent to do it.

Am I being to critical of him?
    "Always" and "never" are words that should always be used sparingly and never without forethought. You're welcome.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Soonerjeepman's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
    He's coached for 29 years now, and he's never won a single conference championship outright, and although he's had several successful seasons, he's never been able to string multiple successful seasons together. If we win 20 games next year and go to the NCAA tournament next year, it will be the most successful 3 year stretch of his career.

In 1987-1988 he went 25-9, and took K-State to the Elite 8. He followed that up by going 19-11, 17-15, and then left the program.

In 1993-1994 he went 29-8, and took Florida to the Final 4. He followed that up by going by 17-3, 12-16, and then he left the program.

At Illinois, he had a lot of 2nd round exits with an 11th place finish in the Big 10 mixed in.

At UNLV he had his only 30-win season in 2006-2007, and went to the Sweet 16. He followed that a 2nd round exit, and then an NIT appearance.

He's good, but there is no way you can make the case that he is great, top-notch, or elite. I'd love to believe that Kruger is building a monster here, but his almost-30 year career says otherwise. He gets teams back on track quick, and then he hovers around Round of 32 level. Hopefully this time is different than his last 4 stops.
    yup...he was brought in to fix the program...he did. i'd give him two/three years at most...then he'll retire. just hope we don't think his assistants are the answer.
    How do you know if you get there, if you don't know where you are going?..oh and I had 1,713 post on the "other board"..I hate being a rookie again!

vCash

Aprils Fools or not enough playing time?

http://newsok.com/ou-basketball-fran...rticle/5406425
    on Big Tex burning....They mentioned this on College Football Live. Pollack asked if it represented the Texas defense. Herbie told him it represented the Texas bandwagon.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 hawaii 5-0's Avatar
    vCash

I've love to see Lattin improve immensely over the Summer, especially on offense.

OK, on defense too. He could rack up fouls very fast.

5-0
    BOY HOWDY !!!!