Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member FaninAma's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Indiana "religious freedom"..

The pot from 20 years ago was probably less dangerous than alcohol at that time(I say "probably"). But today the THC level in marijuana is 30+ times the level of 20 years ago. There is more research showing that at those levels there is serious central nervous system sequelae happening from both short term and long term use. I think the decision to throw open the market in the states where the referendums passed was very short sighted. There should have been a lot more thought and control go into the decision. The level and potency of the THC in the products available to the public needed to be contolled and limited.

And it absolutely is a fact that increased supply and access of marijuana in these states will mean easier access to minors. I don't see how you can deny that.
    Last edited by FaninAma; 3/30/2015 at 03:05 PM.
    Beware the man who would rule you for your own good. He will never cease. He will regulate every aspect of your life, destroy your liberty and enslave you, and sleep well convinced that he has made the world a better place.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by FaninAma View Post
    The pot from 20 years ago was probably less dangerous than alcohol at that time(I say "probably"). But today the THC level in marijuana is 30+ times the level of 20 years ago. There is more research showing that at those levels there is serious central nervous system sequelae happening from both short term and long term use. I think the decision to throw open the market in the states where the referendums passed was very short sighted. There should have been a lot more thought and control go into the decision. The level and potency of the THC in the products available to the public needed to be contolled and limited.

And it absolutely is a fact that increased supply and access of marijuana in these states will mean easier access to minors. I don't see how you can deny that.
    I don't deny that pot will face the same issues of access by minors as is faced by tobacco and alcohol. Doesn't mean it should not legal just because some minors will break the law to use it just like they do alcohol and tobacco.

One hit pot for most people will mean just that...one or two hits and you're done. Sure we'll have potheads that abuse it just like we have people abuse alcohol. Do you really think a stoned pot users behavior will be worse than an overserved drinker?

Of course some people like to mix the two () so that might require a whole new study.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 hawaii 5-0's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by okie52 View Post
    So you don't think a "religious freedom" bill would "fly" in OK?

I don't think there will be a Church of Cannabis in Oklahoma anytime soon.

I'm surprised they haven't already passed a 'religious freedom ' bill.

5-0
    BOY HOWDY !!!!

vCash

Which, if passed, could bring in a church of cannabis...eh?

Maybe Hawaii needs a "religious freedom" bill to take care of the native religions and make use of their Maui wowee...

I mean Hawaii is a pretty down to earth state, isn't it?

vCash

Hawaii is very religious.

You really should be more informed before you put your foot in your mouth.

Hawaii is one of 2 states with no form of legalized gambling. Not even a lottery. Due to the religious folks. Instead Vegas is the #1 vacation destination for locals.

FYI, Hawaii has a medical marijuana law. Currently they're trying to get dispensaries to sell it. As it is, the only way to legally get it is to grown your own. A lot of cancer patients and MS sufferers just can't do that.

The 'Religious Freedom' ploy has been tried on the Big Island. Its main proponent is serving a 7 year term.

5-0
    BOY HOWDY !!!!

vCash

Oops...I mispoke about Hawaii? God forbid.

theyve got a medical marijuana law but no dispensaries to sell it? Now that's thinking outside the box.

So a proponent of "religious freedom" is serving 7 years because he proposed it?
    Awesome! No need to put up with these intolerant baztards.

vCash

Uh, he did a little more than propose it.

5-0
    BOY HOWDY !!!!

vCash

So what did he do 5-0?

Did he refuse to place 2 male figurines on top of a cake?

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Final Four in Indianapolis this weekend. I'm thinking that's not good timing for the stick to your guns crowd. It appears as if Indiana is crawdadding even though the Gov. said that they wouldn't. The feces hit the rotating oscilator.

The intent of this bill is not horrible. It's intended to allow bigoted (by their doctrine) service industry people to not be financially damaged for declining to do a gay wedding (catering, photos, etc.). I can actually get on board with that to some extent. Except that the price that they pay is that they should have to go onto a list that people could publicly search so that anyone looking for that service would know who serves all people and who discriminates. I think that the market would remove them from the pool quickly as, mostly, young folks are getting married in big weddings.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Tear Down This Wall's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone! View Post
    People in the private sector should be able to reject prospective customers without giving a reason, although it's not wise to not give a reason, and they shouldn't be penalized in any way by the government.(other than maybe the govt. refusing to do business with them)
    This is the way we've always played it. If I don't like the look or sound of a prospect, I simply tell them we can't provide what they are requesting, and suggest the name of another business or two where they can go. It works for some industries. But, I can see how it would be difficult for restaurants, though.

With cakes, it would seem to be easy enough to just tells them that you are already booked up for that weekend, and leave it at that. If I were a baker, I'd go at it this way: have a policy, clearly shown in the store, that says we will consider all orders in conjuction with events already scheduled, with no promise to perform unless the schedule permits.

That would work, I think, for photographers as well - just tell them you'll check your schedule before committing.
    "General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"
    President Ronald Reagan at the Berlin Wall, June 12, 1987

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by okie52 View Post
    So what did he do 5-0?

Did he refuse to place 2 male figurines on top of a cake?

He became a minister out of the back of some magazine and started his own 'Church' on the Big Island, based on the ceremony of smoking the heavenly herb.

He also had a major growing and distribution business going on till he was busted.

The Court didn't buy his 'pot is religious' argument. I think he's out on probation now, biding his time.

5-0
    BOY HOWDY !!!!

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

A recent ORU graduate apparently went to Colorado, ate several pot edibles in a short period of time and died of overdose. Apparently didn't feel the buzz after one so went ahead and ate a few more

I cannot believe that just as we're starting to get a handle on big tobacco we're opening Pandora's box to big marijuana instead.

Final Four in Indianapolis this weekend. I'm thinking that's not good timing for the stick to your guns crowd
    Indiana must go into damage control mode and fast (and they already appear well on their way with the governor demanding clarification on the law before Final Four day this Friday). If anything, this can disprove the notion that business have the right to refuse service to anyone. It's an age old phase, much like freedom of speech making people think they can say anything they want without consequence.

No, you cannot refuse to serve anyone. Think you can stick a "whites only" sign on your door just like pre-60s?

No, free speech does not guarantee you the right to say what you want without consquence. Death threats? Joking that there's a bomb on an airplane? Haha. Very funny.

vCash

BUSINESS OWNERS TAKE NOTE! Best you put any religious prohibitions on the back burner regarding business/customers, when it comes to dealing with homosexual marriages.
    Put a lid on it! Kiss it goodbye. We gave it away, and apparently thought it made sense to do so.

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

To clarify --- it's not that what Indiana's proposing is illegal, it's what they're doing is basically ensuring a national boycott of the state.

Federal laws prohibit discrimination based on a person's national origin, race, color, religion, disability, sex, and familial status.
    Laws may someday expand to include sexual orientation, but right now, nationally, there's no law that says that businesses can't refuse based on being gay. I think some states have included sexual orientation, hence some lawsuits elsewhere on gay wedding and such.

Indiana (and now Arkansas) risk going down the same path that led to gay marriages in Oklahoma. Our state made a law making same sex marriage illegal, which was declared unconstitutional and thus, gay marriages in Oklahoma. I'm not saying I'm against it, I'm saying that going out on a limb this far is basically going down the same path. If Oklahoma had just stuck its head in the sand or had county clerks go LA LA LA LA LA everytime a gay couple asked for a marriage license instead of making a law about it, would we have gay marriage here now? Probably not.

As such...

BUSINESS OWNERS TAKE NOTE! Best you put any religious prohibitions on the back burner regarding business/customers, when it comes to dealing with homosexual marriages.
    ^^^what rush said

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Turd_Ferguson's Avatar
    vCash

"Boycotting a state"? Good luck with that. This **** will blow over in a short while. Corporations are not gonna move and peeps will still spend money. Get real.

OleVet Posse Instigator

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Turd_Ferguson View Post
    "Boycotting a state"? Good luck with that. This **** will blow over in a short while. Corporations are not gonna move and peeps will still spend money. Get real.
    It was a real knee slapper when LA was going to boycott AZ over it's immigration law

vCash

If I am freely willing to enter and spend money in a yankee state then I think everyone else can get over the Indiana ****.

vCash

Businesses that are called out by the gay marriage lobby, even if their objection is legitimately religious, are likely boycotted by many people, just so those people will not be harassed due to association with that boycotted and highly publicized business.
    Put a lid on it! Kiss it goodbye. We gave it away, and apparently thought it made sense to do so.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone! View Post
    Businesses that are called out by the gay marriage lobby, even if their objection is legitimately religious, are likely boycotted by many people, just so those people will not be harassed due to association with that boycotted and highly publicized business.
    And I'm one of those people. I'm sure as heck not getting crossways with a group of lesbians - they can be mean and they scare me.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Turd_Ferguson's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    And I'm one of those people. I'm sure as heck not getting crossways with a group of lesbians - they can be mean and they scare me.
    I thought you were gay blind?

OleVet Posse Instigator