vCash

so what are the odds...

https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-...ouse-bill/1466

H.R.1466 - To repeal the USA PATRIOT Act and the FISA Amendments Act of 2008, and for other purposes.
    will be interesting to see how some of those "smaller government" folks respond to this.

vCash

Re: so what are the odds...

Im all for the repeal of that act. One of my biggest deals against Bush
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

If God wanted Men to look women in the eyes, He wouldnt have gave em Boobs !

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by yermom View Post
    https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-...ouse-bill/1466

will be interesting to see how some of those "smaller government" folks respond to this.
    I think the Patriot Act is one of the most tyrannical pieces of legislation in American history, and anyone who supports it is unqualified to be President.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Turd_Ferguson's Avatar
    vCash

It'll never be repealed. Too much nib ****'n the government wouldn't be able to do without it. Boosh should've had his nuts kicked in for it.

OleVet Posse Instigator

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Ton Loc's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SicEmBaylor View Post
    I think the Patriot Act is one of the most tyrannical pieces of legislation in American history, and anyone who supports it is unqualified to be President.
    I agree, but they'll never get rid of the damn thing.
    It takes one to know one, and I know you don't know a damn thing.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Turd_Ferguson View Post
    It'll never be repealed. Too much nib ****'n the government wouldn't be able to do without it. Boosh should've had his nuts kicked in for it.
    Pretty sure that history will do the honors for Bush's gonads. While I agree
    with how bad the Act was, look back over history and look at how the gubment
    reacted to different "threats"...start with native Americans then the treatment
    of the Confederate troops toward the end of the Civil War and right after it,
    Japanese interment camps right after Pearl Harbor, German POW camps,
    McCarthyism, the Patriot Act....all these things were pretty much knee jerk
    reactions by gubment knuckleheads...

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by rock on sooner View Post
    On BOTH sides of the fence. No party is immune
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by olevetonahill View Post
    On BOTH sides of the fence. No party is immune
    Yup...

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by rock on sooner View Post
    I thought the WWII German POWs were treated pretty well - enough so that a few of them opted to resettle in the US after the war. Could be just propaganda . . .

To add to your list: the Alien and Sedition Acts, jailing of protesters against WWI, and before Sic'Em gets to it, Lincoln's suppression of have-us the corpse-us. One big difference between all those earlier hits on our rights and the self-styled Patriot Act is that the others were temporary. A bill to kill the ssPA is worth calling my representatives about.
    Ukraine: Not Our Fight.

More epicycles!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by TAFBSooner View Post
    I thought the WWII German POWs were treated pretty well - enough so that a few of them opted to resettle in the US after the war. Could be just propaganda . . .

To add to your list: the Alien and Sedition Acts, jailing of protesters against WWI, and before Sic'Em gets to it, Lincoln's suppression of have-us the corpse-us. One big difference between all those earlier hits on our rights and the self-styled Patriot Act is that the others were temporary. A bill to kill the ssPA is worth calling my representatives about.
    About the Germans, I have heard it both ways, so hard to say. They were more
    afraid of the Russians...guess we got them here because the Brits didn't have
    room.....

vCash

Weird that we would ship them here rather than keep them in Europe. Ft Reno was a German POW camp, if I recall correctly.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by okie52 View Post
    Weird that we would ship them here rather than keep them in Europe. Ft Reno was a German POW camp, if I recall correctly.
    Camp Gruber
    http://www.3riversmuseum.com/camp-gr...war-years.html

vCash

I did a little looking at wikipedia... 425000 German pow's in about 700 camps
    around the country...most in the South...shipped here because the Brits didn't
    have room. The transport was done by returning Liberty ships that otherwise
    would have come back empty...at least one escapee...lived under assumed name
    in New Mexico and Colorado...turned himself in on the Today show in the 1980's.
    Consensus was that the Germans were really surprised at how humane they were
    treated and most spoke highly of America.....