Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 aurorasooner's Avatar
    vCash

Whew, I guess "'Buyer Beware" comes to mind.

Interesting.

The Arizona State job is "Jeff Capel's, if he wants it," a source connected to the Arizona State program told CBSSports.com on Tuesday afternoon.
    http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...ch-if-he-wants

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Re: Whew, I guess "'Buyer Beware" comes to mind.

One bad batch of McD's AA's doesn't make you a bad coach. He put VCU on the map, and his first 3 years here were great. He's only going to be better this time around.

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

Fun thought: The college football equivalent of a carpetbagger is currently Arizona State's football coach. I am referring to none other than Todd Graham, ex-Rice, ex-Tulsa, ex-Pitt coach.

Combined with Capel, Arizona State fans will be ready to stab themselves with those mascot pitchforks.

For those of you that don't recall why OU fans don't like Jeff Capel...
    - Had one of the largest recruiting budgets in the country and ends up with marginal talent (or McDonald's All Americans that point the NCAA Eye of Sauron back in our direction)
    - Did not make the postseason without someone named Blake Griffin
    - Communicated with assistants via email
    - Showed up late to morning practices
    - Did not make himself readily available to the fans nor the media
    - Couldn't retain top Kelvin Sampson recruiting class, allowing them to go to programs we had on that year's schedule
    - In the case of Damion James, every year's schedule sometimes up to 3 times!!!
    - Also did not exhibit any signs of competent coaching on the court, either

If you doubt that anything I'm saying is correct, I promise you this is not an angry fan's lament. I've lamented this many times over the years and I'm sure that one of my previous posts with all of these Capel infractions includes link

That said... please go to Arizona State. That way when I see you on ESPN, it will be for a losing team and not as Coach K's Duke lackey

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
    One bad batch of McD's AA's doesn't make you a bad coach. He put VCU on the map, and his first 3 years here were great. He's only going to be better this time around.
    I will add...

If this were Arizona, I would be right with you, and I'd be confused if he was still one of the top candidates at Duke to replace Coach K. However, this is Arizona State, so the hire makes sense to me. He can coach, and he can recruit. He just made some mistakes that could be explained with youth, and I'd imagine he's had a lot of conversations with the G.O.A.T. about how to fix it next time around.

vCash

It will be interesting to see if "the Devils" gave him a long term guaranteed contract, or a low guarantee heavily incentive laden short term contract. If they gave him the 1st, then I think their AD is pretty much SFB, but it remains to be seen if it was youth or a character flaw. Now if it was a university on the east coast, the SEC, or even the eastern part of the Big 10, I could see them taking the gamble. But west of the Miss River, I don't know.
    With the tone on their BB boards, kind of surprised that it's not the Whorns offering instead of ASU though.

vCash

I think Jeff Capel went to Oklahoma not realizing what he was getting into... at VCU making the NCAA tourney is the goal and it's an attainable goal so long as you dominate your mid-major conference. At OU, higher visibility and competition make it far more difficult to make the tournament.

Perhaps he naively thought that top prospects would call him like they might at places like Duke.

We gave him five years. As noted already, the only two of those years he made the postseason were Blake Griffin years. I agree that one bad batch of McD's AA's doesn't make you a bad coach, but one 30-win season doesn't make you a good coach.

I wish I could be my normal positive beacon of happy about this, but all I've read suggests that OU could have and should have found someone much better. If only we could have gotten Lon five years sooner

the Whorns offering instead

C'mon whorn DO IT DO IT DO IT

vCash

One thing's for sure, that the Junker trash bunch political mentality in Phoenix of passing the dollars under the table will give him plenty of funds to grease the palms of McDonald's HS AAs to come to ASU. Don't know how that's going to go over with all those Arizona alums since they're used to being the college BB big dog out there.
    If ASU starts importing a lot of AA type recruits,and with his past history (T Gallon, etc), I wouldn't be surprised to see the NCAA quickly snooping around and them on probation in 3 or 4 years. I really doubt that he takes the job unless ASU made him a long term guaranteed offer that he just couldn't refuse.

vCash

will give him plenty of funds to grease the palms of McDonald's HS AAs to come to ASU
    If anyone's palms need to be greased for ASU, it's the selection committee. After they canned the last guy, I looked up his record --- TWICE his program had 20+ win seasons only to be denied an NCAA bid. I know that 20 isn't the magic number it used to be, but if you grease palms you should sliiiiiide right into the field of 64 just like Texas and UCLA did this year (not the field of 68 mind you, but the actual 64)