Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

SCOTUS upholds Wisconsin Voter ID Law

Supreme Court Leaves Intact Wisconsin Voter Identification Law
    Monday, 23 Mar 2015 10:09 AM

The U.S. Supreme Court on Monday left intact a new Republican-backed law in Wisconsin that requires voters to present photo identification when they cast ballots.

The court declined to hear an appeal filed by the American Civil Liberties Union, which challenged the law.

Voter identification laws have been put in place in a number of Republican-governed states over the objection of many Democrats. Republicans in Wisconsin and other states say such rules are needed to prevent voter fraud. Democrats say the laws are intended to suppress the turnout of minorities and other groups that tend to voter for Democrats.

In October, the court temporarily blocked the Wisconsin law. It did not explain its reasoning at the time, but it was most likely because the statute was being implemented so close to the November election, which could have caused confusion and disruption.

The ACLU had pointed out in October that absentee ballots had been sent out before the November election without notifying voters of the identification requirements.

The Supreme Court has previously upheld the constitutionality of such voter ID laws.

Wisconsin's is one of several similar voter ID rules that have become a political and racial flashpoint across the United States.

A federal judge blocked the state's voter ID law in March 2012 soon after it took effect and entered a permanent injunction in April, finding the measure would deter or prevent a substantial number of voters who lack photo identification from casting ballots, and place an unnecessary burden on the poor and minorities.

The 7th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals blocked the decision and subsequently ruled in October that the law was constitutional. Wisconsin's Supreme Court upheld the voter ID law in a separate ruling.

The case is Frank v. Walker, U.S. Supreme Court, 14-803.

Read Latest Breaking News from Newsmax.com http://www.newsmax.com/US/supreme-co...#ixzz3VE0KqzgX
    Last edited by okie52; 3/23/2015 at 12:01 PM.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Tear Down This Wall's Avatar
    vCash

Re: SCOTUS upholds Wisconsin Voter ID Law

About time.
    "General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"
    President Ronald Reagan at the Berlin Wall, June 12, 1987

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Wrong verb. "Upholds" indicates that they made a ruling. While they did tacitly uphold it by not hearing the case, however, I think, if a plaintiff brought forward a case it could still be considered.

vCash

The Supreme Court has previously upheld the constitutionality of such voter ID laws.
    Oops...I didn't mean to make such a leap.

And I'm sure the anti voter ID supporters will challenge it every time...sound familiar?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by okie52 View Post
    Oops...I didn't mean to make such a leap.

And I'm sure the anti voter ID supporters will challenge it every time...sound familiar?
    And that's why I'm a bench warmer. Good thing we've got this voter ID law fixed so we can move on to bigger problems like the font used by Congress.

I predict a poll tax or a poll test will be passed in the future.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Serenity Now View Post
    And that's why I'm a bench warmer. Good thing we've got this voter ID law fixed so we can move on to bigger problems like the font used by Congress. I predict a poll tax or a poll test will be passed in the future.
    As a conservative democrat I would LOVE to have a poll test to be able to vote. Some sample questions. Where was Barack Obama born? Who bailed out the banks with TARP? True or false - deficits go up when there is a republican president and down when there is a democratic president. Do tax cuts pay for themselves?

vCash

And that's why I'm a bench warmer. Good thing we've got this voter ID law fixed so we can move on to bigger problems like the font used by Congress.

I predict a poll tax or a poll test will be passed in the future.
    Or really important issues like the pubs endless war on women

Rape by fraud? N.J. lawmaker introduces bill to make it a crime
    http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf...t_a_crime.html

vCash

Or really important issues like the pubs endless war on women

http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf...t_a_crime.html
    Well played. I hold no illusion that the left is innocent of this crap.

vCash

Well played. I hold no illusion that the left is innocent of this crap.
    Yeah, both sides have their extremes. I am amazed that some people don't realize it.
    Last edited by okie52; 3/23/2015 at 12:51 PM.

vCash

Yeah, both sides have their extremes. I am amazed that some people don't realize it.
    Bingo, One the Far Left extremists seems to have taken up residence here.
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

If God wanted Men to look women in the eyes, He wouldnt have gave em Boobs !

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Sooner in Tampa's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by olevetonahill View Post
    Bingo, One the Far Left extremists seems to have taken up residence here.
    You mean the Far Left Extremists that preach tolerance, but they are intolerable? They believe in tolerance...as long as you see their way.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Beanbag View Post
    Six stitches is a pretty decent sized gash.
    Quote Originally Posted by OUthunder View Post
    To hell with Nebraska...they are overrated and irrelevant.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sooner8th View Post
    As a conservative democrat I would LOVE to have a poll test to be able to vote. Some sample questions. Where was Barack Obama born? Who bailed out the banks with TARP? True or false - deficits go up when there is a republican president and down when there is a democratic president. Do tax cuts pay for themselves?
    8th, you're a conservative democrat? What sets you apart from the moderate/liberal democrats?

vCash

8th, you're a conservative democrat? What sets you apart from the moderate/liberal democrats?
    If hes a Conservative anything, Im a flying Pink Pig
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

If God wanted Men to look women in the eyes, He wouldnt have gave em Boobs !

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Turd_Ferguson's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by olevetonahill View Post
    If hes a Conservative anything, Im a flying Pink Pig
    Heh! That mother****er wouldn't know conservative if he ****'n tripped over it...

OleVet Posse Instigator

vCash

Heh heh...well I just thought I'd ask...

vCash

Yes I am, always have been. I'm fiscally conservative, in the real sense not the new cuttin' the wealthy's taxes and everybody wins "conservative" that is now standard definition of fiscally conservative. I do believe the budget should be balanced and we should pay our debt off, like clinton did and was going to. I am very liberal socially, I don't care what consenting adults do in the bedroom. I know that not allowing people of the same sex is unconstitutional and violates their rights of being treated equally. You don't like abortion? Don't have one. You don't like birth control? Don't take use it. I understand nobody has the right to violate other peoples rights. If you don't want to serve minorities, gays, not dispense birth control get out of the business you are in. I don't believe every problem african-americans have is based in racism and it's white peoples fault, but I do understand that a-a's are discriminated against more than white people are.

vCash

No problems with that 8th although I'd say fiscally responsible rather than fiscally conservative. I'd put myself in that category too but the Devils in the details.

So you find yourself at odds with other dems with that position?

vCash

No problems with that 8th although I'd say fiscally responsible rather than fiscally conservative. I'd put myself in that category too but the Devils in the details. So you find yourself at odds with other dems with that position?
    No, we are at odds with conservative republicans on that issue. It was a conservative democrat who last balanced the budget and it is a democrat who are cutting the deficit. This shows me you listen to talking points to much, there is no evidence to support your contention.

vCash

What makes you a conservative democrat? Assuming that most dems are social liberals what separates you from the moderate/liberal dems on fiscal issues?

vCash

I think dens that I know are ok with being fiscally conservative. We just want to not turn our backs on things like schools, police, veterans health care, Medicare, etc.