Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Re: Brilliant Idea from Eric Striker

Quote Originally Posted by Tear Down This Wall View Post
    Hey, dickbrain...my minor was Political Science, okay? Is that good enough for you? Just because I studied it - and, studied it more than most people - doesn't mean I have to check my brain at the door on behalf of people who shill for government programs and half-baked college courses, alright?

Further, I have a Juris Doctorate, so I understand how laws are made. Even setting aside the fact that I earned more PoliSci hours than most did, I also pulled back the academic curtain on Legal Oz and understand how it all works.

And, my wife is Mexican...technically, a minority. Although, from the day she came to America to now, she's never been one to sit around and wait for someone to "understand her culture." She and her sister hit the ground running and began a cleaning business that began with houses and evolved to cleaning businesses. And, they did ti barely speaking the language when they got here. And, in Mexico, the went to colleges that taught them business principals, not "understanding other cultures" or "how to whine like an American minority."

Therefore, I'm likely overqualified to speak. I'm the living and breathing example of taking in all of that PoliSci and Legal crap when I was young and thought it was important. Thank God experience in life and business gave me the common sense enough to eventually recognize that 99.9% of it was bullsh*t, that no one cares, and at the end of the day, you've got to put your dick to the grindstone and work to succeed if your last name isn't Kennedy, Bush, Gore, or Rockefeller.

So, you, sit down and shut up. I'm qualified enough academically to speak. I'm a business owner to boot, so I can speak as to what kids need to survive once they get out of school and have to support themselves. I've seen my wife and her sister succeed as immigrants in this country.

And, let me tell you, when I see a resume chock full of philosophy, humanities, history, government, and other like garbage, it goes into the trash can. I need - just as other businesses do - kids who understand business.

I don't have time to f*ck with kids and their philosophies. They change from generation to generation - but this remains the same: Bill are due when bills are due, for the amounts due. Can enough money be generated to cover them and the overhead of the business, with some profit over that to keep the business evolving and the doors open.

To do those things, I don't have to "understand different cultures." All I have to do is keep working my as*s off.
    I only went to engineering school, but somewhere along the line I learned NOT to put my dick to a grindstone.
    Ukraine: Not Our Fight.

More epicycles!

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Soonerjeepman's Avatar
    vCash

amen...

I will say, I got no problem "trying to understand another culture"...but guess what...I'm not changing my beliefs. Again, it's the liberal ideology that THEIR beliefs are the "right" ones. That MY beliefs are wrong. So when you (liberals) say kids need classes to "challenge their beliefs" what you are really saying is they need to CHANGE their beliefs.

I just laugh at that...again, true libs...your beliefs are okay as long as they align with ours....BULL$HIT.
    How do you know if you get there, if you don't know where you are going?..oh and I had 1,713 post on the "other board"..I hate being a rookie again!

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Th problem with 'learning other cultures' is in this current academic environment professors are teaching the American Culture is evil, and creating animosity. I took well over 40 hours of American history classes and I couldn't help but feel is if I was a slave owner due to my blue eyes. I later learned (from books) this couldn't be further from the truth and the bullshi$ striker talks about is a result of him not respecting or perhaps ignorance of the current culture he resides in. This is the very best in the history of the world
    To even suggest this, many will label will that person is a racist ...

The multicultural line is total crap, and it's meant to
    shift to change the US. They are succeeding with immigration as assimilation is not part of the process (see south Texas and Cali). Fuc$ multiculturalism, it's an affront or liberty and freedom when enacted by academia...

SoonerFans.com Elite Member KantoSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Why! TDTW, I seem to have annoyed you. What a shock to find that 'Dickbrain' is the best you muster.

And, since it appears that the key to your argument is the equivalent of flopping it out and seeing whose is longest, here we go: Poli Sci grad, Summa Cum Laude, JD (and let's be clear, nobody other than a complete d-bag refers to himself as a 'Doctor' out of Law School, that's reserved for LLDs, so don't self aggrandize), married to a Japanese woman for 18 years, voting Cherokee, formerly worked for other people running their businesses in Asia, now run my own in Oklahoma. Actually, our resumes seem remarkably parallel. I'd have assumed you to be a great guy had I not read your drivel for several years on here.

Here's a little secret about 'Business School'. it's a crock. Where I did undergrad, about 25% of the class ended up on Wall Street. They were Econ and Poli Sci and Psych majors. Those who couldn't get offers from investment banks went to Law School or Business School or 'The Government'. Mainly. I spent my career, to date, learning the technical background to the products we sold and how they were made. And negotiating 100% foreign ownership of our subsidiaries in countries that legally required a 'silent' local partner. And setting up training centers for workers who needed reinforcement on topics like why it's really important to wear shoes in a factory and how to show up at our company bus stop five minutes before the bus instead of five minutes after. And how to hedge against currency rate fluctuation. And so forth.

Now, I've had a weirder career than many, but the point is that very little of this could have been predicted by some 'Business Professor' thirty years ago. And I would have gotten nothing of any worth whatsoever from any 'Business' courses on how to deal with it.

Plasticity of mind has served me far better than a mastery of the UCC would have done.

That said, I'm all for hiving off schools like business from OU. Let them go be glorified Mr. Good Wrench training centers. There's a market for that product. Just as there has been for you, and me. I'm truly sorry your journey has left you bitter with the time wasted in your youth. Perhaps you should ponder the Zen monk on his trek to the deep North when he opined that it is the journey and not the destination.
    "I don't know karate, but I know ka-razor!" - James Brown

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

I am interested in learning more about how one runs a successful business in an environment that is increasingly multicultural and diverse. It seems to me that, whether you're talking about your workforce, your customers, potential partners, etc..., that you'd have a pretty substantial competitive advantage if you were able to know a little bit about people from all different backgrounds and their culture. In fact, I'm pretty sure that almost every MBA program in the country would stress that sort of thing as a critical management skill. Generally, you aren't going to be very successful in today's business world if the only people you can relate to are other White males.

Of course, there's also a lot of talk now in the business community about how things like philosophy and the humanities are actually much better at teaching people how to think in creative ways that spur innovation, problem solving, and entrepreneurship, than traditional business classes are.

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/...t-myth/304883/

http://www.businessinsider.com/logit...-majors-2013-6

http://www.businessinsider.com/11-re...anities-2013-6

https://hbr.org/2011/03/want-innovative-thinking-hire/

SoonerFans.com Elite Member KantoSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Look, as much as I am critical of a lot of what TDTW says, he has a bedrock point exactly right: your books must balance and you must make a profit or you're gone.
    That said, manufacturing processes and bookkeeping just aren't that hard. If you don't have the school background on the latter, it can be picked up on the fly; and I'd start any new hire on the production floor as a matter of course.

After that, though, I'd look at your major markets and/or supply sources. Assign reading on those country's last 100 years history. Make it at least marginally fun: any decent movies? Do the food thing. If they are characterized by an unfamiliar religion, learn about it. CIA.gov is a great source. Get some phrase books and learn at least how to say 'hello' and 'thank you'. If unwashed taxi drivers can master pidgin in multiple languages, it can't be that hard. (and it can help. I got dumped at the wrong hotel in Zurich twenty years ago and the only guy I could finally find to talk to was an Ethiopian. In Japanese. Because he'd been a bar tout in Tokyo. He finally drove me to the right hotel.)
    People are pretty similar the world over, you show some interest in them and their culture and the interest will be repaid.
    Don't over program things. Two highest priorities: is the job candidate honest? Will they work hard? Then: Are they basically intelligent? Are they friendly and can you see them working in a group? You can get around pretty much all the rest.
    At least that's worked for me.
    "I don't know karate, but I know ka-razor!" - James Brown

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

I think you need to learn more in college than just your subject. Things like English classes will help immensely in just about any field, and you'd better be able to pass a college algebra class. Additionally, you need to learn people skills, how to work in groups, and things of that nature. You don't learn those by reading a textbook in a classroom, though.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
    I think you need to learn more in college than just your subject. Things like English classes will help immensely in just about any field, and you'd better be able to pass a college algebra class. Additionally, you need to learn people skills, how to work in groups, and things of that nature. You don't learn those by reading a textbook in a classroom, though.
    SF won't let me edit my posts today...

Correction: You CAN learn how to work in groups in a classroom, but not in a textbook, and it comes in classes where group work is required (labs, lectures with group work/projects, difficult classes that you feel the need to join study groups for, etc.). The only humanities group work that happens is finding a group to take notes so that you only have to go to class once every 2 or 3 weeks.

Sooner Starter
    vCash

Sigh... I'm sorry I even brought it up

(shrugs shoulders)

(heads for the door)

SoonerFans.com Elite Member birddog's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by CincySooner View Post
    Sigh... I'm sorry I even brought it up

(shrugs shoulders)

(heads for the door)
    It's your right to demand this gets moved out of the fball forum at this point, THEN head for the door.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Relative to debt (which is subsidized by federal loans which is why multicultural classes will be a bedrock for more liberal bias and spin despite Ericks and cincys brilliant idea) college just isn't paying off for more and more graduates. The unemployment rate is skyrocketing amongst graduates yet school loans keep going up-thanks federal govt. one of the next big bubbles will be the school loan bubble, and I believe colleges will be revamped to be more relevant to the 21st century. We need more votec programs teaching a specific study or craft. All you need to see is the oilfield. Thousand making 6 figures and many don't have degrees...

vCash

You don't need a class to exercise common sense:

1- Treat everybody with respect regardless of their skin color, religion, etc, unless they actually do something to have that respect be undeserved. Not everybody deserves it, but they deserve the benefit of the doubt until demonstrated otherwise.

2- Don't use the n-word. Definitely don't use rap and black culture as an excuse to throw it out there just because "they call each other that." That's a copout. White folks can call each other micks and wops too, but that doesn't mean it carries the same meaning if a black guy calls an Irish or Italian guy that. Same goes with other derogatory terms for Mexicans, Asians, etc... I agree that we are overly sensitive about some labels as a society, but again-- common sense. I will say this, though. That poor SAE house mom getting ostracized for singing the lyrics to that stupid song was wrong, and an example of being overly sensitive.

3- Don't label a black kid "articulate" or "well-spoken" just because he doesn't sound like he's from the hood. I've been guilty of this until recent years when I realized I never used that to describe any white kid who didn't sound like trailer trash. It's condescending. We are all a product of our culture. Whether a kid talks like he's from the hood or the sticks shouldn't matter. It's all about how you carry yourself outside the manner in which you speak.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

1). I agree with you entirely

2) does it apply to white kids singing along with rap songs or should they skip that word? My point being is that the PC police and the sanctimony is total garbage. If a white or black kid wants to say it, it's his God given right to say it, and 99 percent of the time there is no real racial angst, just ignorance. 'Mother fuc$er' takin literally?

3) I don't hear that much...

I'll add on 4 and 5

4). Stop institutionalizing racism. Having the BLACK congressional congress in the 21st century is disgusting and far more egregious than a white or black kid saying the n word

5) stop with affirmative action, on the merits there is nothing more racist that is socially acceptable. Don't say the n word! But by God judge this kid on his color for a school? Makes sense?

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SouthFortySooner's Avatar
    vCash

My momma fed me 3 meals a day for the most part. Then the commercials began to tell me I needed to take this vitamin to get the 'Recommended Daily Allowance'. I struggled for a while with the idea my momma didn't give me what 'they' say was recommended. But, I got over it and have never taken a vitamin.

My family taught me multi-cultural lessons the same way. The idea I didn't get enough is something I'll just get over.
    " Ok children put your hands on your heart... and face Norman."

vCash

Obi, regarding #2, singing along to a song is different (as I pointed out), but your concerns are a good reason why the phrase should just be scrubbed from the culture altogether. Regarding #3, look harder. It happens pretty much every time a black kid is interviewed after a game and doesn't sound like he came out of the hood. Regarding OU, the prime example this year was the "articulate" and "well-spoken" Perine. I think that so many people just take it for granted that we don't look for it. Again, this is something that occurred to me later in life when somebody pointed it out.

I agree on points 4 and 5, but to a lesser extent on 4. I understand why 5 was necessary at one point in time, but it hasn't been necessary for a while. We will always think in terms of color and race, and I think that's perfectly ok. We are all different and should embrace those differences while still taking actions that reflect our respect for one another. At the same time, we can't act like black folks don't face things on many days that my lily white butt will never have to. Moreover, the circumstances that drive poverty in the black community are still in part reflective of years of discriminatory public and private policy created by white folks. Yeah, slavery has been over for 150 years, but out of slavery came years of Jim Crow, segregation, etc... That stuff still has lasting consequences. It also explains why you continue to see a lot of self-segregation, be it in college campus lunchrooms or in things like the Congressional Black Caucus.

That is not, however, an excuse in this day and age to remain in bad circumstances forever or an excuse to blame others for one's inability to climb out of those circumstances. It's just something that is a factor and something that I will never have to deal with. I think that white folks can recognize that without the need to get defensive. I'm not defensive about it because I'm not personally responsible-- in whole or in part-- for any of that. Therefore, it is pointless to point the finger at others, particularly when the generation of people in power today (not speaking of Obama directly, but in generational terms) had nothing to do with the sins of the past. The circumstances exist and have existed for a black man to do anything in life he wants to do. The American Dream truly does exist for anybody who wants it.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Widescreen's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by EatLeadCommie View Post
    White folks can call each other micks and wops too, but that doesn't mean it carries the same meaning if a black guy calls an Irish or Italian guy that.
    I have no interest in using any of those terms. But it really gets on my nerves that it's really a 1-way street. If a black guy calls someone a Wop, no one would say anything about it. Because white guilt.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Widescreen View Post
    I have no interest in using any of those terms. But it really gets on my nerves that it's really a 1-way street. If a black guy calls someone a Wop, no one would say anything about it. Because white guilt.
    If the N-word makes black people feel the way words like white guilt and white privilege make me feel, I can understand why they would punch somebody in the throat.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member FaninAma's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
    If the N-word makes black people feel the way words like white guilt and white privilege make me feel, I can understand why they would punch somebody in the throat.
    Why? What other people I couldn't GAS about call me has NO bearing on what I do or accomplish in my life. It does not affect my relationship with my family and the few close friends I care about. If anybody can show me where any minority is being denied a chance to succeed in this country(other than the perversion of ****ty public schools without the option of choice and low expectations from progressives) then I might reconsider my viewpoint. Until then I would kindly ask that Striker and others give it a F'ing rest.
    Beware the man who would rule you for your own good. He will never cease. He will regulate every aspect of your life, destroy your liberty and enslave you, and sleep well convinced that he has made the world a better place.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Soonerjeepman's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by FaninAma View Post
    Why? What other people I couldn't GAS about call me has NO bearing on what I do or accomplish in my life. It does not affect my relationship with my family and the few close friends I care about. If anybody can show me where any minority is being denied a chance to succeed in this country(other than the perversion of ****ty public schools without the option of choice and low expectations from progressives) then I might reconsider my viewpoint. Until then I would kindly ask that Striker and others give it a F'ing rest.
    yup...
    How do you know if you get there, if you don't know where you are going?..oh and I had 1,713 post on the "other board"..I hate being a rookie again!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by FaninAma View Post
    I'm genuinely confused by this response.

My post was simply stating that it annoys the hell out of me when people say things like white guilt and white privilege. You're saying I shouldn't be annoyed by this, and then follow it up with your final sentence, which seems to indicate some annoyance from you? Like I said, I'm genuinely confused. I don't know if you misunderstood something, or if you're just contradicting yourself.