Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Re: Barry suggests Mandatory voting

It was a forum that started reasonably enough. Slowly, moderate people from both sides migrated away. At the end there was one left voice and about 4ish right voices. One was so beligerent that he drove off everyone else. If he's not dead of some liver disease, he's in some forum such as this. I know one guy is here who I debated with and he was generally reasonable.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member FaninAma's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Serenity Now View Post
    That was a hateful response.
    That's because the worn-out tactic of calling people haters or racists or bigots or sexist or homophobic deserves a hateful response.
    Beware the man who would rule you for your own good. He will never cease. He will regulate every aspect of your life, destroy your liberty and enslave you, and sleep well convinced that he has made the world a better place.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by FaninAma View Post
    That's because the worn-out tactic of calling people haters or racists or bigots or sexist or homophobic deserves a hateful response.
    You haters can't even interpret sarcasm. At least you're not calling me a libtard.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Serenity Now
    That was a hateful response.
    you forgot the most common name that is called.
    Put a lid on it! Kiss it goodbye. We gave it away, and apparently thought it made sense to do so.

vCash

Mandatory voting is the antithesis of everything I believe. Our nation was never built with universal suffrage in mind, and I think expanding the right to vote has resulted in a strengthening of central power and a loss in individual liberty. The idea of democratic rule scared our Founders which is why safeguards were put into place including limiting the right to vote to property owners. Property ownership is no longer a relevant means for determining enfranchisement; however, a system needs to exist to filter out who has the ability to vote. Voting should be treated as a privilege earned not a right given.

I believe, and have long argued for, passage of a basic civics exam should be implemented to determine who can vote. The test should be comprised of basic and straight forward questions about how our government works. Pass that and you can vote.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Blue's Avatar
    vCash

The fact that mandatory voting is being discussed just shows how far we've fallen as a "free" country.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Blue View Post
    The fact that mandatory voting is being discussed just shows how far we've fallen as a "free" country.
    This country hasn't ever been "free" as you want to think it was. Had to be a white male property owner to vote when the country was founded. Women got the right to vote in 1920's, a-a's were restricted from voting in the south until 1965. Citizens United ensured elections could be easily and cheaply bought. Witness the cattle call down to the koch's compound last week end by republicans presidential hopefuls to kiss their rings and to ensure the candidates are following the koch's policies.

vCash

I kind of agree with Sic em. Not sure how that would work.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SicEmBaylor View Post
    Mandatory voting is the antithesis of everything I believe. Our nation was never built with universal suffrage in mind, and I think expanding the right to vote has resulted in a strengthening of central power and a loss in individual liberty. The idea of democratic rule scared our Founders which is why safeguards were put into place including limiting the right to vote to property owners. Property ownership is no longer a relevant means for determining enfranchisement; however, a system needs to exist to filter out who has the ability to vote. Voting should be treated as a privilege earned not a right given.I believe, and have long argued for, passage of a basic civics exam should be implemented to determine who can vote. The test should be comprised of basic and straight forward questions about how our government works. Pass that and you can vote.
    You cannot be serious. Our nation was never built with universal suffrage in mind and the idea of democratic rule did scared our Founders, but not for the reason in which you think. You don't find it ironic that the very people they choose could vote they fit perfectly into? There were no "safeguards put into place" it was a naked attempt to keep the power to themselves. That has not changed since our country was founded. The system you propose will very quickly devolve into who gets to choose the questions. I stated before the questions I want on the test and you can see what it would become. You don't want true freedom - you want your ilk to be in charge, a single party state - just like the Soviet Union, how ironic you preach freedom on here and what you really want is a hell of a lot closer to communism than democracy.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Sooner in Tampa's Avatar
    vCash

Hey rocket scientist...this is NOT a democracy...it is a republic!

The United States is, indeed, a republic, not a democracy. Accurately defined, a democracy is a form of government in which the people decide policy matters directly--through town hall meetings or by voting on ballot initiatives and referendums. A republic, on the other hand, is a system in which the people choose representatives who, in turn, make policy decisions on their behalf.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Beanbag View Post
    Six stitches is a pretty decent sized gash.
    Quote Originally Posted by OUthunder View Post
    To hell with Nebraska...they are overrated and irrelevant.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sooner in Tampa View Post
    LOL at you. We are a representative DEMOCRACY. Rocket scientist - jjjeeeezzzzz.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sooner8th View Post
    LOL at you. We are a representative DEMOCRACY. Rocket scientist - jjjeeeezzzzz.
    So now you are smarter than our forefathers? Of course you are...

In “Federalist 10,” one of 85 essays by Madison, Alexander Hamilton, and John Jay known collectively as the Federalist papers, Madison defined a “pure democracy” as “a society consisting of a small number of citizens, who assemble and administer the government in person,” and a republic as “a government in which the scheme of representation takes place.” According to Madison, “The two great points of difference between a democracy and a republic, are: first, the delegation of the government, in the latter, to a small number of citizens elected by the rest; secondly, the greater the number of citizens, and greater sphere of country, over which the latter may be extended.” In short, for Madison, democracy meant direct democracy, and republic meant representative government.

vCash

You haters can't even interpret sarcasm. At least you're not calling me a libtard.
    No, just a hypocrite.
    Beware the man who would rule you for your own good. He will never cease. He will regulate every aspect of your life, destroy your liberty and enslave you, and sleep well convinced that he has made the world a better place.

vCash

So now you are smarter than our forefathers? Of course you are...
    It has been well established I am smarter than you - rocket scientist. Even when you try to correct me you fail. democracy definition. A system of government in which power is vested in the people, who rule either directly or through freely elected representatives. Note: Democratic institutions, such as parliaments, may exist in a monarchy. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/democracy

vCash

http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

If God wanted Men to look women in the eyes, He wouldnt have gave em Boobs !

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sooner8th View Post
    It has been well established I am smarter than you - rocket scientist. Even when you try to correct me you fail. democracy definition. A system of government in which power is vested in the people, who rule either directly or through freely elected representatives. Note: Democratic institutions, such as parliaments, may exist in a monarchy. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/democracy
    See...that's your problem fvckbag!!! You think you are so fvcking smart...when you are just harded headed, short sighted, and a donk lemming...

republic

[ri-puhb-lik] /rɪˈpʌb lɪk/

noun
    1. a state in which the supreme power rests in the body of citizens entitled to vote and is exercised by representatives chosen directly or indirectly by them.
    From Madison...AGAIN
    In short, for Madison, democracy meant direct democracy, and republic meant representative government.
    Now...I am putting your ignorant a$$ back on iggy...you are too aggravating to tolerate

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Put a lid on it! Kiss it goodbye. We gave it away, and apparently thought it made sense to do so.

vCash

No, just a hypocrite.
    How, exactly?

vCash

How, exactly?
    Just in the usual liberal sense. You profess to be tolerant and open-minded but when a group or individual disagrees with you they are labeled as racists, sexist, bigots, haters or unintelligent.

Liberals are the most intolerant group of people I have ever encountered.

vCash

Just in the usual liberal sense. You profess to be tolerant and open-minded but when a group or individual disagrees with you they are labeled as racists, sexist, bigots, haters or unintelligent.

Liberals are the most intolerant group of people I have ever encountered.
    Maybe you shouldn't label me absence the facts. I wasn't treated as poorly as 8th is here but I also didn't respond as 8th does to differing opinions. One poster was rude enough that everyone but the arsehole and one other poster left and the forum went the way of all things. I find that I would rather engage with those who I disagree with than those that I do not. As such, I've got more posts on hornfans than any OU board.