Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 lexsooner's Avatar
    vCash

Re: SAE scandal could galvanize Sooners

Quote Originally Posted by KantoSooner View Post
    5-0
    I think you're both right and wrong on this, for the following reasons.
    1. The whole SAE deal and OU as the situs will, to a large degree, blow over by the fall and certainly by next February. Totally? No, of course not. But to a large extent. 16-18 year olds are damn near all ADHD afflicted. The next shiny thing will occupy the 'front of mind space'. And that most assuredly includes the fact that the university administration and the coaching staff were utterly condemnatory toward the perps and supportive of the feelings and opinions of the players; so this forgetting is not all a good thing.
    2. It depends to a great degree on where you're from. To folks in Hawaii, and the coasts, flyover country has always been a bit scary. I've got grown *** men Asian suppliers in Cali who are physically frightened to travel to Louisiana. Even if I pick them up at the airport and drive them to our meetings. To folks of that mind set, the SAE incident does not matter. Their minds were already made up. The incident simply validates long held opinions.
    3. Reality trumps stories. IF you can get a kid on campus and IF his host is cool and he sees and hears comforting things, the story fades into history pretty quickly.
    4. It's all individual. it's very easy, especially for an elite athlete, singled out for special treatment for years by the time he's recruited into a Div I program, to accept the notion that HE will have a different experience. And thankfully Bob had put together a group of coaches who ought to be able to relate to and sell recruits on that notion to a better degree than has recently been the case.

So, recruiting impact? Yes, undoubtedly. But less than might be supposed, in my view. And something that will fade faster than we might expect.
    5. The consensus that what was in the OU SAE video could just have easily been frats boys at another university, especially in the South and Southwest. My understanding is fans of other schools including our rivals did not jump on OU and call it an OU problem, but actually felt empathy because they realized this crap goes on at their schools and the video just happened to be OU frat boys.

Wasn't Bama in the news last year because their Greek system rejected numerous strong African American candidates for popular white sororities? I don't recall their recruiting being hurt by the extensive coverage over the segregation and racial problems at Bama.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

This story is already dead. Nobody cares...

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

I'm taking a wait-and-see approach regarding whether anything or anyone can actually transform that abortion of a bowl team into anything competitive. Sure, athletics will have its ups and downs. But I'm not buying into any hype until I actually witness the Sooners. defeating a good football team...And, no, Alabama from Jan 2014 does not count..

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

The Clemson game might have been the sorriest performance of a Stoops team evar! I would hate to have spent money to go see that in person. FWIW, the worst game I ever spent money on to see in person was the WVU game in the '08 Fiesta Bowl. (right after WVU had lost the Big East or whatever conference title to U of Pittsburgh, I think) DeMarcus Granger was suspended for that game due to stealing a leather jacket in Phoenix. Pat White, QB for the couch burners, had his way with OU all night, as did Slayton.
    Put a lid on it! Kiss it goodbye. We gave it away, and apparently thought it made sense to do so.

vCash

The Clemson performance was much worse than WVU '08. WVU should have been in the title game against tOSU and they would have won had they gotten there instead of LSU. But they ran into OU-level bad luck and Pat White was hurt for their rival game against Pitt on the last week of the season and their backup QB was so bad they couldn't do anything on offense. They even tried putting White in at the end even though his hand was so injured he couldn't take a snap, let alone throw. Their only other loss was another game that Pat White was injured early in the game. Not saying OU played well in that game, but at least they put up a fight. OUr squad against Clemson last season did not give a s.hit and it was obvious. And Clemson was not even close to the caliber of team that WVU was in '07.

vCash

I agree WVU in Jan '08 was prolly a better team than Clemson was last year, and I'm not saying the loss to WVU was as bad as the Clemson loss, but it was a dismal day to watch OU. We looked sad that day in the Fiesta Bowl, and I was glad I didn't have to travel far to see it.
    Put a lid on it! Kiss it goodbye. We gave it away, and apparently thought it made sense to do so.