Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Administrator
    vCash

SAE scandal could galvanize Sooners

That's the title of a piece over on ESPN today. Jake Trotter wrote the article, and personally, I think Trotter is one of the best writers that covers OU. Although he's become a "Big XII" writer, his days of being the beat writer for OU have served him well with this story. It's a good read, with some really good points. If you have a minute, go check it out.

Here's a line from the story that stood out to me, and something I've kinda been thinking about:

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Trotter - ESPN
    A close team with a singular mission can be a tough one to beat.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Re: SAE scandal could galvanize Sooners

They also have a video and 2 more articles saying that this scandal will be "a permanent stain on Oklahoma." ESPN is hedging its bets so they can milk it for every last click.
    The enduring image of Oklahoma was that ridiculous double–middle finger of a game-icing kick. It was probably an accident, which somehow made it more, not less, insulting. It was as though Stoops had partied so hard on the corpse of the SEC that he woke up with an unplanned tattoo.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 8timechamps View Post
    That's the title of a piece over on ESPN today. Jake Trotter wrote the article, and personally, I think Trotter is one of the best writers that covers OU. Although he's become a "Big XII" writer, his days of being the beat writer for OU have served him well with this story. It's a good read, with some really good points. If you have a minute, go check it out.

Here's a line from the story that stood out to me, and something I've kinda been thinking about:
    Hey, I posted this possibility before ESPN - did they reference me in the credits?

There was yet another article I read (don't recall the source) that was talking about how hard it is to get rid of this type of behavior in the frat system. Schools have tried and they immediately get threaten by big donors that lived in those houses that funds will be cut off. SAE has been suspended and reinstated by more than one school and this would certainly explain why.

Sooner Rookie
    vCash

The team will not galvanize if there is division on the team. Usually these types of incidents can lead to some division. I certainly hope not.

The magnitude of the coverage of this event never ceases to amaze me. The LA Times has OU articles every day. I am deeply concerned this will affect recruiting extremely negatively for several years.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Soonerjeepman's Avatar
    vCash

what is so "funny" aggravating...is this happens at every school....maybe not public videos, but people of ALL races being racists. You can't tell that not 1 black person has "thought" racists things about ANY race but they just didn't POST it. Racism exist in EVERY race.

The media wants to run with it, everyone wants to claim how bad it is at OU...nothing more than anywhere else.

Oh, I don't think it will impact in the long term. IF OU puts a great season together and wins the Big12 and gets into the playoffs, THAT is what these athletes want.
    How do you know if you get there, if you don't know where you are going?..oh and I had 1,713 post on the "other board"..I hate being a rookie again!

vCash

My prediction: it wont make any difference either way come this fall.

This is pretty good for offseason, but it's still garbage.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member instigator's Avatar
    vCash

I think it will have a little impact on recruiting now but I expect/hope it will blow over by signing day.

As long as our coaches handle it correctly with the team then it could help the team in the spring practices, but by the time August gets here, they'll just be playing ball. None of it will matter if we don't find a QB or receivers.

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerjeepman View Post
    You can't tell that not 1 black person has "thought" racists things about ANY race but they just didn't POST it. Racism exist in EVERY race.
    Can you tell me what this has to do with the SAE kids?

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 hawaii 5-0's Avatar
    vCash

Other school's recruiters will try to use it against OU.

5-0
    BOY HOWDY !!!!

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

Recruits, even the one that did the national media rounds to say over and over that he was decommitted, are applauding OU's post-SAE video efforts.
    http://oklahoma.scout.com/story/1528...recruits?s=146

Within hours of the video going viral, the Sooners lost their top-ranked commit when North Mesquite (Texas) High offensive tackle Jean Delance decommitted that Monday morning.

Delance said point blank the video was the reason he decommitted. It seemed as though he had soured on the Sooners. At the Opening regional camp at Arlington (Texas) Lamar on Sunday, you could tell what OU’s reaction has been has struck a chord with recruits, including Delance.

“No, I won’t say OU is out of the picture,” Delance said. “Those coaches are great people, it’s just what happened at the school. It does mean a lot with what they’ve done, it’s a pretty positive aspect to the situation.”

Delance said nearly every single OU coach has had some sort of contact with him in the last week, and their efforts have been appreciated.

vCash

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't TaShawn Thomas say he woulda thought otherwise if he knew what was going on.

It's not just about athletics, or scholastics. A lot of people of color, including Asians will have second thoughts about attending OU.

I was glad Boren acted quickly like a surgeon cutting out a cancer. A few apples.....

OU's PR Dept. has their work cut out.

5-0
    BOY HOWDY !!!!

vCash

What people say and do are two entirely different things.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by hawaii 5-0 View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't TaShawn Thomas say he woulda thought otherwise if he knew what was going on.

It's not just about athletics, or scholastics. A lot of people of color, including Asians will have second thoughts about attending OU.

I was glad Boren acted quickly like a surgeon cutting out a cancer. A few apples.....

5-0
    I think there was a lot of knee jerk reaction when the video went public. I can't blame anyone for having those reactions, but I don't think it will really affect much of anything in the long run. In fact, I think this will be a positive in the long run. Everyone knows this incident isn't exclusive to OU, but now that it's out in the open, and OU has had the chance to react (positively), I think it makes OU look good. There's no other school in the country that is getting national exposure about racism, and OU has done a good job of spinning things with the "Not on OUr campus" thing.

Although it had nothing to do with football, that's what we're all on this board to discuss, and I think this will be a tiny blip on the radar by the time National Signing Day rolls around next February.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Anyone stupid enough to let the incident sway their decision, is well.. stupid, if they think this doesn't go on, at EVERY single campus in the U.S.

If they're that close-minded, means they're probably also angry. I'll pass on angry young kids. Thanks, but no thanks. We've seen what that gets us.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalBigRed View Post
    Anyone stupid enough to let the incident sway their decision, is well.. stupid, if they think this doesn't go on, at EVERY single campus in the U.S.

If they're that close-minded, means they're probably also angry. I'll pass on angry young kids. Thanks, but no thanks. We've seen what that gets us.
    Indeed!
    Put a lid on it! Kiss it goodbye. We gave it away, and apparently thought it made sense to do so.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by instigator View Post
    I think it will have a little impact on recruiting now but I expect/hope it will blow over by signing day.

As long as our coaches handle it correctly with the team then it could help the team in the spring practices, but by the time August gets here, they'll just be playing ball. None of it will matter if we don't find a QB or receivers.

Can you tell me what this has to do with the SAE kids?
    you really need this explained?
    How do you know if you get there, if you don't know where you are going?..oh and I had 1,713 post on the "other board"..I hate being a rookie again!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalBigRed View Post

yup

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by hawaii 5-0 View Post

5-0
    I know the sae video was done AFTER he was already here...but TT just said this the other day...point is kids want to win and play.

“That was one of my big decisions,” Thomas said. “I wanted to transfer somewhere that I knew that I’d at least have a chance to make it to the tournament. I know playing in the Big 12, they take seven teams and we finished second in the conference so that was a guarantee to be in.

vCash

I really hope I'm wrong on this.

Wouldn't be the 1st time. Won't be the last.

5-0
    BOY HOWDY !!!!

SoonerFans.com Elite Member KantoSooner's Avatar
    vCash

5-0
    I think you're both right and wrong on this, for the following reasons.
    1. The whole SAE deal and OU as the situs will, to a large degree, blow over by the fall and certainly by next February. Totally? No, of course not. But to a large extent. 16-18 year olds are damn near all ADHD afflicted. The next shiny thing will occupy the 'front of mind space'. And that most assuredly includes the fact that the university administration and the coaching staff were utterly condemnatory toward the perps and supportive of the feelings and opinions of the players; so this forgetting is not all a good thing.
    2. It depends to a great degree on where you're from. To folks in Hawaii, and the coasts, flyover country has always been a bit scary. I've got grown *** men Asian suppliers in Cali who are physically frightened to travel to Louisiana. Even if I pick them up at the airport and drive them to our meetings. To folks of that mind set, the SAE incident does not matter. Their minds were already made up. The incident simply validates long held opinions.
    3. Reality trumps stories. IF you can get a kid on campus and IF his host is cool and he sees and hears comforting things, the story fades into history pretty quickly.
    4. It's all individual. it's very easy, especially for an elite athlete, singled out for special treatment for years by the time he's recruited into a Div I program, to accept the notion that HE will have a different experience. And thankfully Bob had put together a group of coaches who ought to be able to relate to and sell recruits on that notion to a better degree than has recently been the case.

So, recruiting impact? Yes, undoubtedly. But less than might be supposed, in my view. And something that will fade faster than we might expect.
    "I don't know karate, but I know ka-razor!" - James Brown

vCash

A large part of recruiting is the recruitment of the parents.

If they smell discrimination they will steer their athlete, boy or girl away from a certain school.

5-0
    BOY HOWDY !!!!