Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Re: OUr players recited the Lord's Prayer, then walked out of practice

It's there in the First Amendment: "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof."

You cower under your bed much about Sharia law coming soon to a legislature near you?

We are way off topic in this thread.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cvsooner View Post
    It's there in the First Amendment: "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof."

You cower under your bed much about Sharia law coming soon to a legislature near you?

We are way off topic in this thread.
    That's right. Islam is just another religion. Why should anyone have the right to express any anxiety over sharia law?!
    Put a lid on it! Kiss it goodbye. We gave it away, and apparently thought it made sense to do so.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Pricetag's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    I always thought is was "Howard be thy name". I must watch too many movies.
    LOL, reminds me of an episode of "Night Court" where Bull thought he had a near-death experience. He saw the maintenance guy, Art, surrounded by light while changing a light bulb, and thought he was God. "Oh, that's why they say, 'Our Father, who is Art in Heaven.'"
    La ola es mía.

Sooner Starter
    vCash

http://www.foxsports.com/college-foo...esponse-031215

After the way they played last year, they shouldn't be skipping any practices...
    "Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, to assure the survival and success of liberty."
    - President John F. Kennedy

SoonerFans.com Elite Member FaninAma's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by bmjlr View Post
    http://www.foxsports.com/college-foo...esponse-031215

After the way they played last year, they shouldn't be skipping any practices...
    Apparently they have found Stoops' and Boren's kryptonite. Stoops has lost control of the program. I think last year was the same as Mack Brown's 2010 season....the beginning of the end. Where are all of the other sports teams at OU? I guess they just aren't quite as offended.
    Beware the man who would rule you for your own good. He will never cease. He will regulate every aspect of your life, destroy your liberty and enslave you, and sleep well convinced that he has made the world a better place.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Wait. A racist frat engages in despicable behavior, and disgraces the entire campus. OU's football team (rightly) reacts with outrage (along with many other students, faculty, and staff on campus), and somehow their protest is an example of Stoops losing "control" of the program? Unbelievable.

vCash

OU seems to be reeling in uncontrollable embarrassment.
    Put a lid on it! Kiss it goodbye. We gave it away, and apparently thought it made sense to do so.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Tear Down This Wall's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone! View Post
    OU seems to be reeling in uncontrollable embarrassment.
    Starts at the top.
    "General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"
    President Ronald Reagan at the Berlin Wall, June 12, 1987

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerorLater's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by graphster View Post
    Wait. A racist frat engages in despicable behavior, and disgraces the entire campus. OU's football team (rightly) reacts with outrage (along with many other students, faculty, and staff on campus), and somehow their protest is an example of Stoops losing "control" of the program? Unbelievable.
    Yeah, everybody just kind of goes where they want to with this stuff twisting the controversy around to promote their own agenda.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member FaninAma's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by graphster View Post
    So which other teams felt so butt hurt by the incident that they had to call off practice for 4 days and make all kinds of statements to the media? Oh, and for good measure here is Boren's statement after the Mixon fiasco:
    "The University is an educational institution, which always sets high standards that we hope will be upheld by our students. We hope that our students will all learn from those standards, but at the same time, we believe in second chances so that our students can learn and grow from life's experiences."
    I love the Univeresity of Oklahoma. My disappointment is directed at Boren's double standards regarding student conduct and the football team's very evident sense of entitlement and lack of loyalty to the University. To hell with them. And I am just so very tired of the pervasive use of the victim card by so many who have been extended an opportunity to achieve success that most never get.
    Last edited by FaninAma; 3/12/2015 at 03:00 PM.
    Beware the man who would rule you for your own good. He will never cease. He will regulate every aspect of your life, destroy your liberty and enslave you, and sleep well convinced that he has made the world a better place.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by FaninAma View Post

I love the Univeresity of Oklahoma. My disappointment is directed at Boren's double standards regarding student conduct and the football team's very evident sense of entitlement and lack of loyalty to the University. To hell with them. And I am just so very tired of the pervasive use of the victim card by so many who have been extended an opportunity to achieve success that most never get.
    OU is wind twisting right now, and it's a sad scene for fans like us.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerorLater's Avatar
    vCash

It was a political call by Boren. That's what he is at heart, a politician.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Tear Down This Wall's Avatar
    vCash

The upshot of all of this, of course, is that Boren and Stoops put themselves in this no-win situation last fall during the Mixon thing, the receiver from Mizzou deal, and the Shannon situation.

I think it does nothing but split support from them among those of us who buy season tickets and donate.

I'll tell you this, although we've already re-upped our season tickets for 2015, we've held off on donating to the stadium improvement. We'll hold off until we see how the leadership shakes out over the next couple of years. Right now, they are not doing anything to build our confidence in them.

Yet, sadly, even while contradicting themselves and openly promoting a double standard, they believe they have done the right things. That's how far removed from reality I think they are at this point. It's sad to watch.
    "General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"
    President Ronald Reagan at the Berlin Wall, June 12, 1987

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Tear Down This Wall View Post
    The upshot of all of this, of course, is that Boren and Stoops put themselves in this no-win situation last fall during the Mixon thing, the receiver from Mizzou deal, and the Shannon situation.
    I fail to understand why people lump Shannon into this situation. Do people just fundamentally refuse to believe that it was a title IX process?

Now DGB and Mixon were clearly handled by the Boren/Stoops/OU. I wasn't thrilled we accepted DGB and not too hurt that he never played - just glad he didn't make any headlines. Mixon is just a weird, weird situation. I don't deny that keeping him around puts the OU powers in a bit of a tough situation now, but I don't think it is a huge factor.

The way the team is reacting shows there is an undercurrent of issues with the players outside the SAE event, IMO. I agree if Stoop had full control of the team, they would rally for each other for the common cause of football. But it could be worse - Stoops could take a hard *** stand and force practice and then he would lose the team completely for sure. This little delay of practice (they won't miss them) could be a uniting force in the long run. Hope it turns out that way.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

The Mixon thing isn't even relevant for crying out loud. That was a physical activity. Fighting words that grew into a fight. It happens, even with a girl (a girl who may have uttered the n-word herself).

This is a frat behaving boorishly and it went public.