Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Tear Down This Wall's Avatar
    vCash

Re: What Just happened???

Did Boren say anything about OU's decision to not kick Mixon out of school for using a gay slur and breaking a girl's face? I admit to only scanning through his remarks and didn't see anything about that. Maybe some the defenders of this brave, swift-acting man here can point them out to me.

Thanks.
    "General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"
    President Ronald Reagan at the Berlin Wall, June 12, 1987

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Tear Down This Wall View Post
    Did Boren say anything about OU's decision to not kick Mixon out of school for using a gay slur and breaking a girl's face? I admit to only scanning through his remarks and didn't see anything about that. Maybe some the defenders of this brave, swift-acting man here can point them out to me.

Thanks.
    That fact won't sink in for many people on a football forum. Boren played the odds that he could get away with a 1 year suspension in order to keep a 5 star recruit for his football team. The only reaction from fans wearing crimson shades was that Boren threw Mixon under the bus for applying any punishment at all and that breaking a skanks' face was an appropriate response to that mighty slap. And as far as a gay slur goes - that's a common thing posted on football forums, so no issue there. I suspect a 3 star Mixon would no longer be here.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Tear Down This Wall's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    That fact won't sink in for many people on a football forum. Boren played the odds that he could get away with a 1 year suspension in order to keep a 5 star recruit for his football team. The only reaction from fans wearing crimson shades was that Boren threw Mixon under the bus for applying any punishment at all and that breaking a skanks' face was an appropriate response to that mighty slap. And as far as a gay slur goes - that's a common thing posted on football forums, so no issue there. I suspect a 3 star Mixon would no longer be here.
    Because you are capable of intelligent conversation, let us keep going down this route.

We have Boren banishing the SAE from OU for the acts of a few members. Yet, I don't recall there being any talk of suspending the football program after Mixon's slurs and actions.

Also, I don't recall Bob Stoops and the football team rallying for gay or women's rights after the Mixon incident.

Again, I admit to not seeing every piece of news that comes down he pike. Maybe someone can refresh my memory about the Mixon incident:

-Did Boren attempt to have the football program shut down?
    -Did Stoops and the players rally for gay and/or women's rights?
    "General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"
    President Ronald Reagan at the Berlin Wall, June 12, 1987

vCash

Of course football players are held to a different standard. Why shouldn't they be? If you're running a hospital, and you manage to land one of the best young doctors in the country, are you going to treat him the same as some random volunteer?

And I don't buy your 3-star vs. 5-star claim. We have plenty of RB's, and would get along just fine without him (ex: this year). We've had a handful of 3-star players get in legal trouble, such as Ryan Broyles, and we held on to them. More highly recruited guys like Jarboe and Metoyer were sent packing.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

I think the damning piece of evidence against SAE is that this chant seemed pretty well coordinated, that many people who were there seemed familiar enough with it to know the words and go along with it, and it occurred on a bus headed to an official SAE event where members of a sorority were present. And then you have the video of the house mom using similar language.

It should be noted that the national SAE organization had already shut down the OU SAE chapter before Boren even announced his punishment, so to make it seem like Boren was overzealous here is just ridiculous.

Hard to see how that's similar in any way to a single member of the football team getting into an altercation off campus and not connected to any official football function.

vCash

Because you are capable of intelligent conversation, let us keep going down this route.

We have Boren banishing the SAE from OU for the acts of a few members. Yet, I don't recall there being any talk of suspending the football program after Mixon's slurs and actions.

Also, I don't recall Bob Stoops and the football team rallying for gay or women's rights after the Mixon incident.

Again, I admit to not seeing every piece of news that comes down he pike. Maybe someone can refresh my memory about the Mixon incident:

That's the first time I've been accused of intelligent conversation here , but I don't have much to add.

It just looks like pragmatists being pragmatic and national exposure to racism creating an urgent situation.

Mixon was suspended without much comment other than saying he was in the wrong.

If the only news I read was from OU football forums, I would think Boren was constantly trying to shut the football program down. The fact that he pays huge dollars to coaching staffs and is taking on a huge bond debt to update facilities doesn't come into play. It's always too little too late, so brushing the Mixon incident under the rug would never be viewed as pro-football or pro-Mixon although I think it was. In the spirit of full disclosure, I was in favor of the way the school handled the Mixon case and I fully admit I may be steered by football bias. I only supported Mixon staying because he turned 18 that day and had not really joined the team yet. Had he been around longer and had the "talk" that Stoops claims he gives (if a girl hits you, best to run away), I would hope for expulsion. But I could be rationalizing.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerorLater's Avatar
    vCash

No to my knowledge Boren did not attempt to have the football program shut down. Of course the football team and a fraternity are two entirely different things.

No probably because none of the players are gay (as far as we know) or women. what would gay or women's rights have to do with the football team in any meaningful way?

SoonerFans.com Elite Member FaninAma's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
    Of course football players are held to a different standard. Why shouldn't they be? If you're running a hospital, and you manage to land one of the best young doctors in the country, are you going to treat him the same as some random volunteer?

And I don't buy your 3-star vs. 5-star claim. We have plenty of RB's, and would get along just fine without him (ex: this year). We've had a handful of 3-star players get in legal trouble, such as Ryan Broyles, and we held on to them. More highly recruited guys like Jarboe and Metoyer were sent packing.
    If you were running a large hospital and were enforcing your employee conduct policies and procedures differently for different level employees you might as well get out the check book and write the plantiff's attorney a check in the amount they demand.

You NEVER vary from the policy and procedure handbook. If you do you are just asking for a lawsuit.
    Beware the man who would rule you for your own good. He will never cease. He will regulate every aspect of your life, destroy your liberty and enslave you, and sleep well convinced that he has made the world a better place.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by FaninAma View Post
    If you were running a large hospital and were enforcing your employee conduct policies and procedures differently for different level employees you might as well get out the check book and write the plantiff's attorney a check in the amount they demand.

You NEVER vary from the policy and procedure handbook. If you do you are just asking for a lawsuit.
    I was going to post something similar, you do a better job than I could. I'll add that more valuable employees are treated differently - they get paid more. Similarly, football players get full ride scholarships as do some academic achievers. But once they break the law, it's a different story.

vCash

For some reason I doubt telling a volunteer not to come back is going to result in a huge lawsuit.

Administrator
    vCash

You just contradicted yourself, so I have to agree with you

I agree that nobody will circle back when something racist becomes public at the school he eventually attends. Therefore, I disagree that he put himself in a tough position. But now to contradict myself, he *has* put himself in a tough position if he were to decide recommit to OU because the media would circle back on that. And since OU is his best option (by definition), that is a tough position indeed!
    Jerkface.

There will be media that goes back to ask him about his selection/why that school versus OU, but it won't be nearly as many that reported the initial story. There's still a chance he could end up at OU, but I'm thinking he would have to put aside his pride if that were to happen, and I don't think that'll happen.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 8timechamps View Post
    Jerkface.

There will be media that goes back to ask him about his selection/why that school versus OU, but it won't be nearly as many that reported the initial story. There's still a chance he could end up at OU, but I'm thinking he would have to put aside his pride if that were to happen, and I don't think that'll happen.
    Careful, only my Mom calls me Jerkface.

I agree the only real obstacle he has created was to recommit to OU, so I don't expect that to happen. Still possible, though.

vCash

What if Mixon was white and the skank was black? Discuss.
    In all fairness we were whiney bitches long before OU rammed it up our cornholes, and long before Macks losing season.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Jacie's Avatar
    vCash

copied from The News Wire

Perhaps not-so-coincidentally, Jean Delance, the No. 12 offensive tackle in the country according to Rivals and the No. 12 class of 2016 prospect in the state of Texas, tweeted he got an offer from Alabama Monday afternoon. Officially offered by the University Of Alabama!! #RollTideRoll

Apparently, history, which in this instance IS on OUr side, shows OU's Bud Wilkinson recruited Prentice Gautt out of OKC Douglass who would go on to play for the Sooners from 1956-59.

Alabama finally got around to allowing a black athlete on their storied program in 1971. #WhatTookYouSoLong?
    Last edited by Jacie; 3/11/2015 at 07:40 PM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by PhiDeltBeers View Post
    We all know the answer to that.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Tweeting about an offer isn't really the same as accepting one. Imo, no 4 star athletes should be committing to anyplace before their senior year anyway. Those who do often change their minds, so there isn't much point getting worked up about something that probably would have happened video or no video.
    The enduring image of Oklahoma was that ridiculous double–middle finger of a game-icing kick. It was probably an accident, which somehow made it more, not less, insulting. It was as though Stoops had partied so hard on the corpse of the SEC that he woke up with an unplanned tattoo.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerorLater's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by PhiDeltBeers View Post
    Then he wouldn't be a 5 star running back.

vCash

For some reason I doubt telling a volunteer not to come back is going to result in a huge lawsuit.
    So unpaid volunteers should be held to a higher behavioral standard than highly paid physicians? Large hospital HR departments follow the policy and procedure handbook strictly with everybody.
    Beware the man who would rule you for your own good. He will never cease. He will regulate every aspect of your life, destroy your liberty and enslave you, and sleep well convinced that he has made the world a better place.

vCash

So unpaid volunteers should be held to a higher behavioral standard than highly paid physicians?
    Probably. If the highly paid doctor is bringing in $1,000,000 dollars above and beyond his salary, and is irreplacable, and the volunteer is bringing in $100 a year...absolutely. I'm not saying that this big-time doctor should be able to get away with rape and murder, but if he made a couple of patients cry over the course of the year, it's really not a big deal. He's doing a lot of good for the hospital, so you don't even worry about something like that. Meanwhile, if the volunteer is shadowing that doctor (and if he's shadowing, he's more likely a loss of money than a gain), and it's the volunteer that's making the patients cry...get him out of there ASAP.

Large hospital HR departments follow the policy and procedure handbook strictly with everybody.
    Yeah, yeah, yeah. Maybe the hospital example wasn't the best example (although you're incredibly naive if you think it's as easy to fire a great doctor as it is to get rid of a volunteer). I'll admit that, but you're completely avoiding the main point. Stay away from the specific legalities of a completely different situation. One person could bring in millions of dollars to the university. Another kid pays less than $10,000 in tuition. Who are you going to invest in, and who are you going to get rid of?

vCash

Probably. If the highly paid doctor is bringing in $1,000,000 dollars above and beyond his salary, and is irreplacable, and the volunteer is bringing in $100 a year...absolutely. I'm not saying that this big-time doctor should be able to get away with rape and murder, but if he made a couple of patients cry over the course of the year, it's really not a big deal. He's doing a lot of good for the hospital, so you don't even worry about something like that. Meanwhile, if the volunteer is shadowing that doctor (and if he's shadowing, he's more likely a loss of money than a gain), and it's the volunteer that's making the patients cry...get him out of there ASAP.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Maybe the hospital example wasn't the best example (although you're incredibly naive if you think it's as easy to fire a great doctor as it is to get rid of a volunteer). I'll admit that, but you're completely avoiding the main point. Stay away from the specific legalities of a completely different situation. One person could bring in millions of dollars to the university. Another kid pays less than $10,000 in tuition. Who are you going to invest in, and who are you going to get rid of?
    You might think but then you would be wrong. I've seen hospitals revoke priviliges of a high revenue producing trauma surgeon over nursing complaints. So how many dollars have Mixon and DBG brought in to the University?

Nice to know you believe in a caste system among OU students. How silly of me to think all students should be treated equally.