Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Re: What Just happened???

And then:

Simmons picks up a recruit. So maybe there are some positives as well.

https://twitter.com/HomieEarnest/sta...85911057215490

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 ouduckhunter's Avatar
    North Carolina via Oreygon, Texas, and the great state of Oklahoma
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerMarkVA View Post
    What was the frat that used to have the flag way up on an impossible-to-climb pole for a week or two and, if you were able to take the flag they'd throw you a 50-keg party or some such thing? I don't know exactly how long it went on, but I remember it in the early/mid 80s when I was a teen.
    Phi Psi's, or Pikes maybe? I remember that too, and it seems like it was, at the time, one of the smaller houses.
    From the home of Seymour Johnson Air Force Base...

Administrator
    vCash

For anyone interested; Delance was gone well before the release of the video. For about the last 2 months it had been widely rumored that Delance was opening his recruitment back up. Given that Stoops stance has always been "if you're looking, so are we", the decommitment was expected.

I'm not going to say the kid wasn't affected by the video, but the decommitment came as no surprise. It's a convenient story for the media to latch on to, and works well with the narrative. However, this decommitment wasn't a surprise, and personally I don't think the video had much to do with his decision.

Quote Originally Posted by 8timechamps View Post
    For anyone interested; Delance was gone well before the release of the video. For about the last 2 months it had been widely rumored that Delance was opening his recruitment back up. Given that Stoops stance has always been "if you're looking, so are we", the decommitment was expected.

I'm not going to say the kid wasn't affected by the video, but the decommitment came as no surprise. It's a convenient story for the media to latch on to, and works well with the narrative. However, this decommitment wasn't a surprise, and personally I don't think the video had much to do with his decision.
    Well that's not the way he makes it sound. I don't doubt you or anything just saying. He had a nice excuse to decommit.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/re...s-decommitment

Yes because a few idiots in a stupid frat define the WHOLEEEE University. He says uneducated people then immediately groups every student together with these racists lol..... I go to this University and it is a great one. He will probably go somewhere like Alabama or similar. Stupid kid.
    Last edited by SoonerForLife92; 3/10/2015 at 06:58 PM.

Sooner Starter
    vCash

What bothers me the most about this is that a few privileged white frat boys and their racist chant can taint the reputation of an entire university. This situation is not unique to the University of Oklahoma.

P.S. What terrible things has David Boren done? I ask because I truly don't know. Frankly, I'm proud of the university's response...
    "Image is what people think we are. Integrity is what we really are"

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Jacie's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by ouduckhunter View Post
    Phi Psi's, or Pikes maybe? I remember that too, and it seems like it was, at the time, one of the smaller houses.
    Perhaps you are thinking of the Fiji's or Phi Gamma Delta. We tried to steal it one night during a rainstorm when the pledges who had been assigned guard duty were inside. My frat brother managed to get to the top of the pole and even had it in his hand once but the wind was whipping it around so he couldn't hold on to pull it free. Once we were spotted we had to get out fast without the flag.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerForLife92 View Post
    Well that's not the way he makes it sound. I don't doubt you or anything just saying. He had a nice excuse to decommit.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/re...s-decommitment

Yes because a few idiots in a stupid frat define the WHOLEEEE University. He says uneducated people then immediately groups every student together with these racists lol..... I go to this University and it is a great one. He will probably go somewhere like Alabama or similar. Stupid kid.
    I know what he said, and I'm not saying the video didn't affect him at all, but his decommitment had been expected long before this happened.

He's certainly put himself in a tough situation. If he ends up at any school with any racism in it's past (which covers just about everyone), then his comments are going to seem pretty petty. I think that's exactly what's going to happen, and I doubt anyone in the media will circle back and say "oh, it seems he wasn't being completely truthful with us back in March". Because that doesn't garner clicks and viewers like this does.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

8time, you are right on target with your comment!

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 8timechamps View Post

He's certainly put himself in a tough situation. If he ends up at any school with any racism in it's past (which covers just about everyone), then his comments are going to seem pretty petty. I think that's exactly what's going to happen, and I doubt anyone in the media will circle back and say "oh, it seems he wasn't being completely truthful with us back in March". Because that doesn't garner clicks and viewers like this does.
    You just contradicted yourself, so I have to agree with you

I agree that nobody will circle back when something racist becomes public at the school he eventually attends. Therefore, I disagree that he put himself in a tough position. But now to contradict myself, he *has* put himself in a tough position if he were to decide recommit to OU because the media would circle back on that. And since OU is his best option (by definition), that is a tough position indeed!

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

A Bobby Vee tune from 1962 entitled "The Night Has A Thousand Eyes" comes into play here.
    Now that night has a MILLION EYES and in seconds any and all kinds of things travel the globe in cyberspace and once that genie is out of the bottle it stays out. Better to hold one's opinion and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt....the same goes with posting.
    A kid who would use this issue to try and get a better deal doesn't come across as a team oriented person. I wouldn't want such an individual....just my opinion. Bottom line this isn't really any different from the Oregon football players singing to FSU's Winston.....NO MEANS NO...NO MEANS NO....It's a real shame everybody on the planet is so hypersensitive and offended by the least little thing.
    THIS IS STILL THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA WHERE WE SHOULD CHAMPION THE RIGHT TO AGREE TO DISAGREE WITH FREE SPEECH FULLY PROTECTED EVEN THE STUPID STUFF.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

The proverbial "painting one's self into a corner"!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by DBrown View Post
    Bottom line this isn't really any different from the Oregon football players singing to FSU's Winston.....NO MEANS NO...NO MEANS NO....It's a real shame everybody on the planet is so hypersensitive and offended by the least little thing.
    THIS IS STILL THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA WHERE WE SHOULD CHAMPION THE RIGHT TO AGREE TO DISAGREE WITH FREE SPEECH FULLY PROTECTED EVEN THE STUPID STUFF.
    I see almost no similarity between the Duck football players taunting Winston and the SAE song as far as content. Yeah, both silly I guess. And they both did enjoy free speech as no one is being charged with a crime, but that doesn't mean they are protected from consequences. I could do the same thing at work and be fully confident I wouldn't be headed to jail. But just as confident I wouldn't be headed to work there anymore.

vCash

This is only a "PC issue" if you just got out of a time machine from the 1940s. Pretty clear cut garbage imo. I'm glad they aren't associated with OU anymore, but I don't think the University's actions will hold up if challenged in court. That said, idk that dragging this back into court would really be a great idea, but the students may decide the damage has already been done and go for it. Maybe a quiet settlement after a few years of the civil suit dragging out? Whatever happens, I think OU did the right thing here. And if those students want to raise their constitutional protections as a shield, then that's fine too. That's kinda the point of having them. Doesn't change the fact that OU made the right call.
    The enduring image of Oklahoma was that ridiculous double–middle finger of a game-icing kick. It was probably an accident, which somehow made it more, not less, insulting. It was as though Stoops had partied so hard on the corpse of the SEC that he woke up with an unplanned tattoo.

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

FREE SPEECH FULLY PROTECTED
    The example Judge Judy always cites when defendants try to claim that they can say what they want or joke around is shouting "fire" in a crowded theater. Panicked people then trample each other to escape and someone ends up injured. The jokester is responsible for the injury, despite his right to free speech, despite the fact that he was joking.

One could (although I am not and it doesn't appear the university is either) even make the argument that "hang him from a tree" is a death threat. Death threats are also not protected free speech.

vCash

Yelling "fire" in a crowded theater may not be an issue if the theatre is actually ON fire, either.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cvsooner View Post
    Yelling "fire" in a crowded theater may not be an issue if the theatre is actually ON fire, either.
    Hey hey hey. . .don't bring facts and logic into this argument. We're talking racism, and we only use emotion when discussing that!

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 lexsooner's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by soonergirlNeugene View Post
    This is only a "PC issue" if you just got out of a time machine from the 1940s. Pretty clear cut garbage imo. I'm glad they aren't associated with OU anymore, but I don't think the University's actions will hold up if challenged in court. That said, idk that dragging this back into court would really be a great idea, but the students may decide the damage has already been done and go for it. Maybe a quiet settlement after a few years of the civil suit dragging out? Whatever happens, I think OU did the right thing here. And if those students want to raise their constitutional protections as a shield, then that's fine too. That's kinda the point of having them. Doesn't change the fact that OU made the right call.
    You are correct, counselor. Happily singing a song using the n word and referencing lynching is about as ugly, inappropriate, and hurtful as you can get, so it is asinine to label actions in response as "PC." Boren acted wisely in response to the situation, and kudos to him. Politically, anything other than taking an immediate hard line would not be adequate, and when you weigh the liability risks (as OU counsel certainly did), you realize the potential plaintiffs acted reprehensibly and are apologizing and in hiding along with their families, so they are probably not going to file to for damages or to try and come back and expose themselves in the press and on campus. They will just transfer to a school like SMU and act the same way with others like themselves and be more careful not to be outed in the future.

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

Hey hey hey. . .don't bring facts and logic into this argument
    I believe I used the word "jokester" when using that hypothetical but it's clear that we are not going to agree on this issue so please don't interpret this as a means to start nor continue an argument

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by lexsooner View Post
    You are correct, counselor. Happily singing a song using the n word and referencing lynching is about as ugly, inappropriate, and hurtful as you can get, so it is asinine to label actions in response as "PC." Boren acted wisely in response to the situation, and kudos to him. Politically, anything other than taking an immediate hard line would not be adequate, and when you weigh the liability risks (as OU counsel certainly did), you realize the potential plaintiffs acted reprehensibly and are apologizing and in hiding along with their families, so they are probably not going to file to for damages or to try and come back and expose themselves in the press and on campus. They will just transfer to a school like SMU and act the same way with others like themselves and be more careful not to be outed in the future.
    I don't see a huge risk for Boren/OU administration for taking action. Frat houses agree to a set of rules in order to maintain association with a school and I'm sure this display broke them. Expelling students is a bit more dicey given their rights to free speech; but they do agree to a code of conduct as a condition for enrollment. So again, speak all you want, but prepare to live the consequences. The sad part to me stems from the impact of social media. Kids shouldn't pay the rest of their lives for some stupid stunt. Previous to social media, this would have been a very local event. Lessons would have been learned and everyone could move forward w/o carrying some scarlet letter the rest of their lives.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 lexsooner's Avatar
    vCash

I agree one situation by itself should not be a scarlett letter for the rest of their lives. However, their apologies were really somewhat disingenuous. They apologized for making a "stupid mistake," which indeed it was. However, they go on to claim they are really not racist and imply this was just an aberration. No, their conduct very much defined the type of persons they are and those with whom they associate. Boozed up or not, what kind of person sings with great zeal a song using the n word and referencing lynching? I cannot believe someone who is not racist could do this. It was certainly ok with them and in their world, but they got outed and only now are they sorry. I have a hard time believing if the video was never released, these kids would sit around and feel remorseful afterwards. It would be much more honest to apologize for their actions and admit they have issues and pledge to work on them. That's about all you can expect.