Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

What Just happened???

Just saw where a 4 star recruit (Jean Delance) decommitted From Oklahoma over a racist statement made by the SAE fraternity. How can this occur? Whether or not Delance goes elsewhere to play football, one must ask how things like this racism could possibly take place at OU. I cannot believe it. The only positive is that at least protests are taking place on campus against these acts from SAE...

Boomer

SoonerFans.com Elite Member jkm, the stolen pifwafwi's Avatar
    vCash

Re: What Just happened???

SAE has been in and out of trouble for decades. Heck when I was there in the early 90s they just got back on campus from a 5 year ban.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Lots of smoke on TFB that Delance had been waffling on his commitment before this SAE debacle, but only Delance knows for sure. Not good when OU has this kind of story on the top of CNN and Google news websites. I at least hope all the Boren haters out there give him credit for acting swiftly and decisively. But I'm sure they won't because, hey, haters gonna hate.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

When one of your main points of pride on the SAE website is it's the only fraternity founded in the antebellum South and nearly all the nearly 400 members fought for the Confederacy in the Civil War, are we really surprised? Apparently 150 years later they're still partying like it's 1865.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 lexsooner's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by vtsooner21 View Post
    Just saw where a 4 star recruit (Jean Delance) decommitted From Oklahoma over a racist statement made by the SAE fraternity. How can this occur? Whether or not Delance goes elsewhere to play football, one must ask how things like this racism could possibly take place at OU. I cannot believe it. The only positive is that at least protests are taking place on campus against these acts from SAE...

Boomer
    Why can you not believe it? The frats had a racist and elitist reputation when I went to OU in the 80s and it appears nothing has changed.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    Lots of smoke on TFB that Delance had been waffling on his commitment before this SAE debacle, but only Delance knows for sure. Not good when OU has this kind of story on the top of CNN and Google news websites. I at least hope all the Boren haters out there give him credit for acting swiftly and decisively. But I'm sure they won't because, hey, haters gonna hate.
    So, boren isn't a supporter of sponsoring organizations conducting in racist behavior. Do you seriously believe that, that is so exceptional and courageous where everyone should change their mind about his historically egregious, history?
    Last edited by manateepower; 3/10/2015 at 09:05 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHumanAlphabet View Post
    Boren has become a PC babbling idiot and a megalomaniac leader. All he wants is a place in history and memories like Cross. After what he did to The Pride, I will not support him or donate to the University until he leaves.
    Posted from iOS app

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Soonerfan88's Avatar
    vCash

The only connection between his decommittment and the video is timing. He's been looking at other schools for weeks and had announced he & a buddy are a package deal. He's talked about concerns with the depth chart - there might be too many young OTs in front of him.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerorLater's Avatar
    vCash

I'm sure Delance didn't like what he saw but I also think it gave him some rationale to do what he was already thinking about doing.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by manateepower View Post
    So, boren isn't a supporter of sponsoring organizations conducting in racist behavior. Do you seriously believe that, that is so exceptional and courageous where everyone should change their mind about his historically egregious, sociopathic history?
    No. I just stated that haters wouldn't give him credit for handling something well - they can only dwell on what they don't like.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerorLater View Post
    I'm sure Delance didn't like what he saw but I also think it gave him some rationale to do what he was already thinking about doing.
    And he really didn't need rationale. It's pretty common for recruits to flip flop on verbals - especially early commits. He may well flip back before it's all said and done.

vCash

No. I just stated that haters wouldn't give him credit for handling something well - they can only dwell on what they don't like.
    What is there to like? SAE nationals had already pulled the plug on that chapter. It's like firing somebody that just quit.

To my knowledge, all he really did was force them to move out their house within about 36 hours during the busiest week of the year other than finals week. He just jeopardized the grades of a lot of innocent students to save face publicly.

So, boren isn't a supporter of sponsoring organizations conducting in racist behavior. Do you seriously believe that, that is so exceptional and courageous where everyone should change their mind about his historically egregious, sociopathic history?
    How much credit does he deserve here? He is not doing anything more than he absolutely has to, to not look like a complete scumbag.

I am obviously happy that he did it, but he doesn't deserve some kind of medal for it, this was no risk. It doesn't change the fact that he hasn't done so many terrible things.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHumanAlphabet View Post
    Boren has become a PC babbling idiot and a megalomaniac leader. All he wants is a place in history and memories like Cross. After what he did to The Pride, I will not support him or donate to the University until he leaves.
    Posted from iOS app

vCash

How much credit does he deserve here? He is not doing anything more than he absolutely has to, to not look like a complete scumbag.

I am obviously happy that he did it, but he doesn't deserve some kind of medal for it, this was no risk. It doesn't change the fact that he hasn't done so many terrible things.
    QED

Wishing I was moving to Monroe, Oklahoma...
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by jkm, the stolen pifwafwi View Post
    SAE has been in and out of trouble for decades. Heck when I was there in the early 90s they just got back on campus from a 5 year ban.
    Back in the late 70s or early 80s they were in trouble, I forget what, but something similar. To the point people were stealing "for sale" house signs and putting them in the SAE yard...
    Everything progressives do is aimed at weakening democracy, capitalism and the social and cultural institutions that support those things...... They are about subjugating people and being a ruling class.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

The part that upsets me most is the person taking the video on their phone, but NOT protesting the actions themselves. Just being a snitch and not having the courage to do something to stop the action on the bus. People will find something to point at what is different ftom them...color, sex, size, economics, but my mother said when you point a finger there are 4 more pointing back at you.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Soonerjeepman's Avatar
    vCash

really? I never was in a frat, but knew plenty of folks that were...the "pressure" to conform is tremendous. It's generational sometimes...you want to be the one that brings them down?
    How do you know if you get there, if you don't know where you are going?..oh and I had 1,713 post on the "other board"..I hate being a rookie again!

SoonerFans.com Elite Member birddog's Avatar
    vCash

What if the football team was filmed singing about the very wonderful Jewish community in a negative light? They wouldn't because they are mentored to show respect, unlike the naive geeks that didn't think things through. That dude at the end of the sae clip saying, "no,no, no!", or whatever he said was comical. Reminded me of black sheep when farley is on stage at rock the vote yelling "kill whitey!", while the black dudes in the background are whispering to him "nooooo".

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Pride1Mom View Post
    The part that upsets me most is the person taking the video on their phone, but NOT protesting the actions themselves. Just being a snitch and not having the courage to do something to stop the action on the bus. People will find something to point at what is different ftom them...color, sex, size, economics, but my mother said when you point a finger there are 4 more pointing back at you.
    Recording the video had far more reach and impact and action than simply protesting at the time. Without it, we would never have known. Now we do.

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

Just being a snitch and not having the courage to do something to stop the action on the bus
    My guess is the video taker was wearing heels, a prom dress and on I-35 somewhere between Norman and OKC. One moment you protest, the next you're standing on the side of I-35 trying to hitchhike a ride home... for all we know, it was during those "snow storms" we've had lately, or at least it might have been the freezing weather that extended into March this year.

As much as I would have loved to have seen someone stomp off the bus disgusted, we don't know the context... or for all we know, right after/before the video someone did. It's only a few seconds long

vCash

What was the frat that used to have the flag way up on an impossible-to-climb pole for a week or two and, if you were able to take the flag they'd throw you a 50-keg party or some such thing? I don't know exactly how long it went on, but I remember it in the early/mid 80s when I was a teen.