Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Administrator
    vCash

Re: Sigma Alpha Epsilon...

Quote Originally Posted by OkieThunderLion View Post
    Already lost us our best recruit and will cost is more.
    This didn't "cost" us anything. Delance was never really committed, and was expected to decommit long before this because a story. I'm not saying it didn't play a role, but the kid was never committed and made that pretty clear back in February when Texas made their offer.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sooner8th View Post
    Not some states that got together and have rights that supersede the federal government, the Supremacy Clause a provision in Article Six, Clause 2 of our constitution makes that clear.
    You've proven that your understanding of Constitutional theory is paper-thin, but I'm always happy to educate the uninformed and uninitiated whenever I can. The Supremacy Clause does not exist as a Constitutional island unto itself. The Supremacy Clause must be consistent with the rest of the United States Constitution; otherwise, the Supremacy Clause would give the Federal government 'carte blanche' to do whatever it pleases at any time. The Framers did not go to the trouble of enumerating the powers of Congress in Article I, Section II only to turn around and write the Supremacy Clause in such a way that gives the Feds absolute authority over the states. Keep in mind, the Constitutional Convention was a state-organized enterprise. The individual states themselves sent delegates to create the document on behalf of the states; in that environment, if you think the states created a clause that ceded ALL authority to the Federal government then you are one special sort of person.

Here is how the Supremacy Clause works since you clearly don't understand the genesis of the clause or its proper function within the Constitution: The Supremacy Clause comes into play when a state passes a law that conflicts with Federal law, but the intent and assumption was that any law passed by the Federal government would be Constitutional; therefore, the Supremacy Clause is only valid if the Federal government has not exceeded its Constitutional authority. It also comes into play when if a state were to exceed its Constitutional authority by passing a law that clearly conflicts with an enumerated power of Congress. For example, if Utah were to pass a law naming an official Ambassador to Japan. Now, all of that is rather beside the point since South Carolina was no longer bound by the tenants of the Constitution since it left the compact entirely. One is not bound by law outside of its own jurisdiction. The state of SC and the Federal government were separate legal and political entities, and Ft. Sumter was sitting square on SC territory.

In any case, the Constitution is a pretty cool document. If you ever get the chance, you should totally try reading and learning a little bit about it. It sure helps when trying to argue the Constitution! Best of luck to you, 8th!

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

This isn't Obamafest.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SicEmBaylor View Post
    You've proven that your understanding of Constitutional theory is paper-thin, but I'm always happy to educate the uninformed and uninitiated whenever I can. The Supremacy Clause does not exist as a Constitutional island unto itself. The Supremacy Clause must be consistent with the rest of the United States Constitution; otherwise, the Supremacy Clause would give the Federal government 'carte blanche' to do whatever it pleases at any time. The Framers did not go to the trouble of enumerating the powers of Congress in Article I, Section II only to turn around and write the Supremacy Clause in such a way that gives the Feds absolute authority over the states. Keep in mind, the Constitutional Convention was a state-organized enterprise. The individual states themselves sent delegates to create the document on behalf of the states; in that environment, if you think the states created a clause that ceded ALL authority to the Federal government then you are one special sort of person.Here is how the Supremacy Clause works since you clearly don't understand the genesis of the clause or its proper function within the Constitution: The Supremacy Clause comes into play when a state passes a law that conflicts with Federal law, but the intent and assumption was that any law passed by the Federal government would be Constitutional; therefore, the Supremacy Clause is only valid if the Federal government has not exceeded its Constitutional authority. It also comes into play when if a state were to exceed its Constitutional authority by passing a law that clearly conflicts with an enumerated power of Congress. For example, if Utah were to pass a law naming an official Ambassador to Japan. Now, all of that is rather beside the point since South Carolina was no longer bound by the tenants of the Constitution since it left the compact entirely. One is not bound by law outside of its own jurisdiction. The state of SC and the Federal government were separate legal and political entities, and Ft. Sumter was sitting square on SC territory.In any case, the Constitution is a pretty cool document. If you ever get the chance, you should totally try reading and learning a little bit about it. It sure helps when trying to argue the Constitution! Best of luck to you, 8th!
    You proven that your understanding of the constitution is a typical conservative understanding. Strict adherence to the constitution right up until it serves your purposes to drag in other documents, diaries and "understand the genesis of the clause or its proper function within the Constitution" blah blah blah. You completely and totally made my point for me and I thank you for that. Your argument is dependent upon the laws congress passes are constitutional. There is an method for that determination in the constitution - take it to the supreme court, not by states deciding if it is or not. Again the constitution is clear federal law is supreme to state law - hence the name of the clause. Your example is absolutely silly. You obviously do not have a grasp of our history - look at the articles of confederation and why they failed and a stronger union was formed under the constitution. As for some southern BS about the "since South Carolina was no longer bound by the tenants of the Constitution" what a joke. Nowhere in the constitution is there any mechanism for leaving the union. The state of SC and the Federal government were separate legal and political entities - that is true - BUT the laws of the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA supersede the law of SC, period - it has been proven time and again. You just can't leave the union - Patrick Henry was apposed to signing the constitution because it replace the sovereignty of the individual states to the federal government. White vs texas after the war confirmed you cannot leave the union. The rules you think are in the constitution are actually in the articles of confederation. You condescendingly tell me twice to go learn about the constitution when it is clear you are viewing it from some southern states rights warped interpretation of it. If you are going to argue with me states rights please, please understand which document has what rules in it. Joining the union is like joining the no longer a virgin club, you might want to leave the club - but it's just not possible, once you're in you are ALWAYS in.
    Last edited by Sooner8th; 3/11/2015 at 06:09 AM.

vCash

Has Duberfest , Twisted? Deflected? or spinned ? This ?
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

If God wanted Men to look women in the eyes, He wouldnt have gave em Boobs !

vCash

You proven that your understanding of the constitution is a typical conservative understanding. Strict adherence to the constitution right up until it serves your purposes to drag in other documents, diaries and "understand the genesis of the clause or its proper function within the Constitution" blah blah blah. You completely and totally made my point for me and I thank you for that. Your argument is dependent upon the laws congress passes are constitutional. There is an method for that determination in the constitution - take it to the supreme court, not by states deciding if it is or not. Again the constitution is clear federal law is supreme to state law - hence the name of the clause. Your example is absolutely silly. You obviously do not have a grasp of our history - look at the articles of confederation and why they failed and a stronger union was formed under the constitution. As for some southern BS about the "since South Carolina was no longer bound by the tenants of the Constitution" what a joke. Nowhere in the constitution is there any mechanism for leaving the union. The state of SC and the Federal government were separate legal and political entities - that is true - BUT the laws of the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA supersede the law of SC, period - it has been proven time and again. You just can't leave the union - Patrick Henry was apposed to signing the constitution because it replace the sovereignty of the individual states to the federal government. White vs texas after the war confirmed you cannot leave the union. The rules you think are in the constitution are actually in the articles of confederation. You condescendingly tell me twice to go learn about the constitution when it is clear you are viewing it from some southern states rights warped interpretation of it. I you are going to argue with me states rights please, please understand which document has what rules in it. Joining the union is like joining the no longer a virgin club, you might want to leave the club - but it's just not possible, once you're in you are ALWAYS in.
    GTFO!

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/for...ObamaFest-2012

vCash

You proven that your understanding of the constitution is a typical conservative understanding. Strict adherence to the constitution right up until it serves your purposes to drag in other documents, diaries and "understand the genesis of the clause or its proper function within the Constitution" blah blah blah. You completely and totally made my point for me and I thank you for that. Your argument is dependent upon the laws congress passes are constitutional. There is an method for that determination in the constitution - take it to the supreme court, not by states deciding if it is or not. Again the constitution is clear federal law is supreme to state law - hence the name of the clause. Your example is absolutely silly. You obviously do not have a grasp of our history - look at the articles of confederation and why they failed and a stronger union was formed under the constitution. As for some southern BS about the "since South Carolina was no longer bound by the tenants of the Constitution" what a joke. Nowhere in the constitution is there any mechanism for leaving the union. The state of SC and the Federal government were separate legal and political entities - that is true - BUT the laws of the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA supersede the law of SC, period - it has been proven time and again. You just can't leave the union - Patrick Henry was apposed to signing the constitution because it replace the sovereignty of the individual states to the federal government. White vs texas after the war confirmed you cannot leave the union. The rules you think are in the constitution are actually in the articles of confederation. You condescendingly tell me twice to go learn about the constitution when it is clear you are viewing it from some southern states rights warped interpretation of it. I you are going to argue with me states rights please, please understand which document has what rules in it. Joining the union is like joining the no longer a virgin club, you might want to leave the club - but it's just not possible, once you're in you are ALWAYS in.

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

Saying 'N*****' is not prohibited by law
    In the context that it was uttered it can be argued that it was in violation of student codes prohibiting discrimination based on race. Saying that a black man would never be a member of an OU-sanctioned group is in violation of a code I mentioned either on this thread or the football one.

As mentioned earlier, one could also argue that "hang him from a tree" could be considered a death threat, but I am not arguing that, and the university does not seem to be, either. OU seems to be taking the discriminatory stance of exclusion based on race for expulsion here.

I doubt that the students, nor their families, will fight this. It sounds like they've been getting death threats and media pestering non-stop since the video surfaced instead, so a full plate without worrying about futures in college, here or elsewhere.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Tear Down This Wall's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by FaninAma View Post
    And so it starts...Boren slammed for his hypocrisy:
    http://www.foxsports.com/college-foo...iolence-031015

"Oklahoma Stands Tall Against Racism, Weak Against Violence"

You knew that one was coming.
    What's the old saying, "You reap what you sow"?

There was nothing good in Stoops taking on known drug dealers and woman abusers. Win at all cost...but don't say "n*gger."
    "General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"
    President Ronald Reagan at the Berlin Wall, June 12, 1987

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Ton Loc's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Tear Down This Wall View Post

There was nothing good in Stoops taking on known drug dealers and woman abusers. Win at all cost...but don't say "n*gger."
    Jesus - No ****. This is the point it always has been. You can say and do what you want based on a number of things. Are you an athlete that will help us win and bring in the money? Good - you'll get a lot more rope. Are you an idiot white kid no one really gives two ****s about who just said some racist **** on a video? Great - get the f* out.

I wonder where all this false outrage comes from on both sides when we all know the rules.
    It takes one to know one, and I know you don't know a damn thing.

vCash

Are you an athlete that will help us win and bring in the money?
    On one hand, he suspends Joe Mixon and Frank Shannon last season. On the other, he was for DGB to be immediately eligible.

I'd like to ignore the fact that we had a stud at running back and didn't need Mixon, but were thin at WR and needed DGB... I really, really like to ignore that and think that there's other circumstances going on that we are unaware of that made DGB's transgressions less suspension-worthy than Mixon/Shannon.

This situation is forcing us all to take a long look in the mirror. Is there other areas where OU comes up short where we should be holding ourselves to a higher standard?

SoonerFans.com Elite Member FaninAma's Avatar
    vCash

Was Mixon expelled? Did DBo come out and publically state how OU wouldn't tolerate this sort of behavior from an OU student? Yeah, Boren and the OU coaching staff look pretty weak in this entire mess.

I was actually in support of giving Mixon a second chance but after seeing how Boren totally destroyed the students involved in this video and took punitive actions against a lot of members who didn't have anything to do with the video I became keenly aware of his hypocrisy.
    Beware the man who would rule you for your own good. He will never cease. He will regulate every aspect of your life, destroy your liberty and enslave you, and sleep well convinced that he has made the world a better place.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 dwarthog's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Tear Down This Wall View Post

One is a crime against humanity, the other is just the way we roll.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Ton Loc's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by FaninAma View Post
    Was Mixon expelled? Did DBo come out and publically state how OU wouldn't tolerate this sort of behavior from an OU student? Yeah, Boren and the OU coaching staff look pretty weak in this entire mess.

I was actually in support of giving Mixon a second chance but after seeing how Boren totally destroyed the students involved in this video and took punitive actions against a lot of members who didn't have anything to do with the video I became keenly aware of his hypocrisy.
    A bit devil's advocate, but is it really hypocrisy?
    You can say every situation is different and is based on its own merits. Football is football. The season will continue, people will watch, and people easily forget someone's past transgressions based on their performance on the field.

The kids in this video or associated with the video bring none of that to the table.

Boren, Stoops, everyone at the university make their decisions based on the all those facts and how much flack the university will take vs how much money they stand to make or lose based on their decisions. It all depends on which way the media (Is it a slow news week) and the people who should have better things to do (almost everyone on earth) are feeling that week.

Not shocking - everyone makes decisions this way.
    It takes one to know one, and I know you don't know a damn thing.

Wishing I was moving to Monroe, Oklahoma...
    vCash

You know, attending OU or any other institution is a priviledge. It can be extended or revoked. Nothing guarenteeing admission or continuation except as outlined by the institution. The kids did bad, DBo made a decision that I am sure is sound from their interpretation of the student code and admission policies and I am sure a legal review. I wish the best for the kids involved and hope they learn, repent truly and move on in life. As a GDI, I was not greek nor did I think much of the greek system, but that's me, it didn't fit me. But I think there is muchin the IFC that can be improved to reduce the testoterone levels in the IFC membership...

I have slammed DBo hard for his actions around the Pride and meddling by regent wizenheimer. I respect DBo for his decisiveness and concern for OU. This was particularly outrageous and needed to be addressed quickly, not linger.
    Everything progressives do is aimed at weakening democracy, capitalism and the social and cultural institutions that support those things...... They are about subjugating people and being a ruling class.

vCash

I have just heard reports about plans to rally outside one a former OU SAE student's house in Dallas. I just cannot fathom what that family is going through. The media apparently have been outside the house for awhile as well.

At least this mistake wasn't a fatal one. The former student isn't going to jail; nobody was physically hurt. If that's any consolation... it probably isn't.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member FaninAma's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    I have just heard reports about plans to rally outside one a former OU SAE student's house in Dallas. I just cannot fathom what that family is going through. The media apparently have been outside the house for awhile as well.

At least this mistake wasn't a fatal one. The former student isn't going to jail; nobody was physically hurt. If that's any consolation... it probably isn't.
    You know why. That's what a lot of otherwise reasonable people are getting really tired of. BTW, did anybody watch Eric Stryker's video response to this incident? He, IMO, threw the University and its student body under the bus. It sure wasn't a supportive message at all. The entitlement attitude of some in OU's student-athlete contingent is starting to wear a bit thin.
    Beware the man who would rule you for your own good. He will never cease. He will regulate every aspect of your life, destroy your liberty and enslave you, and sleep well convinced that he has made the world a better place.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    On one hand, he suspends Joe Mixon and Frank Shannon last season. On the other, he was for DGB to be immediately eligible.

I'd like to ignore the fact that we had a stud at running back and didn't need Mixon, but were thin at WR and needed DGB... I really, really like to ignore that and think that there's other circumstances going on that we are unaware of that made DGB's transgressions less suspension-worthy than Mixon/Shannon.

This situation is forcing us all to take a long look in the mirror. Is there other areas where OU comes up short where we should be holding ourselves to a higher standard?
    "This situation is forcing us all to take a long look in the mirror."

Not really. If you have been opposed to taking on drug dealers and women beaters from the get-go, there is no soul searching to do. Saying "n*gger" isn't illegal; but, it is highly poor form. And, given the day and age we live in, very stupid. While I know there are pointless First Amendment arguments to make, I support the decision to have the kids thrown out of school and to have the fraternity shut down.

The problem of how others perceive OU due to the hypocrisy of allowing drug dealers and women beaters to stay because they are athletes is nothing but expected. Boren and Stoops threw themselves into the SAE mess publicly, so it goes without saying that their past tolerance of other, actual illegal, transgressions will come under the microscope.

I love OU, but I simply think the moral compass of Boren/Castiglione/Stoops is broken. You either encourage moral behavior at all times or you do not. That is called having character. Those guys have not shown it much over the past 18-24 months, in my opinion.

When you make exceptions to the rule, expect to be bit in the butt by it later. These guys, Boren/Castiglione/Stoops, have made several exceptions lately, then threw themselves into the SAE/"n*gger" thing. It reeks of sanctimony and hypocrisy.
    Last edited by Tear Down This Wall; 3/11/2015 at 02:01 PM.
    "General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"

vCash

Oh, yeah...and, remember, the athlete who was allowed to stay after breaking a girl's face started that confrontation with a slur against gays.

So, again, welcome to scrutiny Monsieurs Boren, Castiglione, and Stoops.

vCash

BTW, did anybody watch Eric Stryker's video response to this incident?
    I did and to Striker's credit he apologized for it soon after. To the former OU SAE students' credit a few of them or their families have issued public apologies as well.

I love OU, but I simply think the moral compass of Boren/Castiglione/Stoops is broken
    This is why I said it might be time to look in the mirror. Is what we're doing always the right thing, sometimes the right thing or are we continuing to do the wrong things all of the time. What do we need to change about ourselves.