Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member Turd_Ferguson's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Sigma Alpha Epsilon...

Quote Originally Posted by SicEmBaylor View Post
    Fair points. I don't think the punishment is unjust -- I just think the outrage is overblown.
    Local news is interrupting/overlapping regular scheduled programming for this. Imagine what the channels would be like if the rain we're getting would have been snow...

OleVet Posse Instigator

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

I just think the outrage is overblown
    It was like a contract negotiation --- shoot for the moon and such. President Boren kicked the the frat off campus, promised a full investigation and the maximum punishment allowed by law. As such, I expect there to be a lot less outrage, campus rallies and such by Tuesday.

Imagine what the channels would be like if the rain we're getting would have been snow
    It might have added some light hearted fun to the situation. "OU campus is out on a snow day today, but students are on campus rallying in the absence of classes... where there is not a flake of snow to be seen anywhere. Off-campus TV meteorologists who have absolutely no ties to OU's prestigious school of meteorology continue to insist that a large snowstorm will eventually enter the area..."

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Turd_Ferguson View Post
    Local news is interrupting/overlapping regular scheduled programming for this. Imagine what the channels would be like if the rain we're getting would have been snow...
    I see what you did there.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

It was bad, and they already had 2 strikes, so it's a pretty obvious strike 3. Kick them off campus. DBo is just being a jackass, though, in kicking them out of their living situation right in the middle of the busiest week of the semester (other than finals week). At least let them use spring break to find new housing. They already have enough things distracting them from their midterms. Like all fraternities, SAE has a mix of great kids and terrible kids. Many members were not involved in this. DBo is selling out his students to save face. Not cool.

Additionally, black people aren't the primary victims of fraternities. Women are. Meanwhile, the fraternity infamous for date-rape is still standing. You're a joke, DBo.

vCash

Out of curiosity, what specific rule was the basis for the suspension of SAE?

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

SAE national closed the house. Any agreement between them and OU would have been voided. I have been reading that there were some issues with SAE's insurance or something. That they had previously sold the property to the university as part of some deal to remain on campus.
    The enduring image of Oklahoma was that ridiculous double–middle finger of a game-icing kick. It was probably an accident, which somehow made it more, not less, insulting. It was as though Stoops had partied so hard on the corpse of the SEC that he woke up with an unplanned tattoo.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by soonergirlNeugene View Post
    SAE national closed the house. Any agreement between them and OU would have been voided.
    Then Boren was just showboating when he released that statement? Doesn't surprise me.

vCash

I'm not positive about the timing of it all. Whether SAE's investigation of the video concluded before OU's or whether they were working jointly to investigate the video (though somehow I doubt that happened). Both released their statements following what they characterized as their own investigations. Both needed to cut ties as publicly as possible. It wouldn't surprise me though if the school's attorneys hadn't been in contact with SAE national before statements were made.
    The enduring image of Oklahoma was that ridiculous double–middle finger of a game-icing kick. It was probably an accident, which somehow made it more, not less, insulting. It was as though Stoops had partied so hard on the corpse of the SEC that he woke up with an unplanned tattoo.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Then Boren was just showboating when he released that statement? Doesn't surprise me.
    Yup. They'd already been shut down.

vCash

Fair points. I don't think the punishment is unjust -- I just think the outrage is overblown.
    I don't know. The Confederacy was shut down in 1865. The great Selma march was 50 years ago. The sentiment expressed in that song...it's 2015, man. I mean, Jesus.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 aurorasooner's Avatar
    vCash

CNN is all over it, which is not surprising. Anderson Cooper just threw his 2 cents worth in. Some OU student is saying that this is a ""Greek thing" at OU and is trying to implicate the other frats/sororites as well.
    I know we did some pretty stupid chit at our parties back in the 70s mostly due to drinking or weed or both, but I can't ever remember any racist crap like this (not an SAE btw, but they were a pretty good house back in the 70s).
    Some of our guys had lots of stuff worse than that stupid Confederate flag hanging in their rooms that CNN showed through one of the SAE's windows, (none that I can remember that were even remotely racist), like they're trying to show these guys are KKK or something similar. I don't know, they may be, but they probably just found that flag at some garage sale or at the flea market for cheap, and it was just used to cover up a blank wall.
    Boren sounded pissed, and I don't blame him one bit. Having to baby sit these students when something like this gets out of hand with today's press and social media has got to be a freaking headache ---the Mixon deal and the Shannon deal, with women, and now this. No wonder the Univ prezs and the Head FB coaches in today's times get the big bucks.

LMAO, Anderson Cooper just admitted on the air that the Confederate Flag they showed in the window earlier was in the SAE house at OSU --not OU. Figures. Damage done, and most people had switched the channel before the correction was issued. Such is the way of today's press trying to blow up the issue.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Blue's Avatar
    vCash

I was in a frat at OU and had a black pledge brother. Big deal right? Well you would never see that at Alabama, Auburn, or any other SEC school.

What I'm saying is as backwards as SAE is at OU, they are right in line with SEC Groupthink.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by aurorasooner View Post
    CNN is all over it, which is not surprising. Anderson Cooper just threw his 2 cents worth in. Some OU student is saying that this is a ""Greek thing" at OU and is trying to implicate the other frats/sororites as well.
    I know we did some pretty stupid chit at our parties back in the 70s mostly due to drinking or weed or both, but I can't ever remember any racist crap like this (not an SAE btw, but they were a pretty good house back in the 70s).
    Some of our guys had lots of stuff worse than that stupid Confederate flag hanging in their rooms that CNN showed through one of the SAE's windows, (none that I can remember that were even remotely racist), like they're trying to show these guys are KKK or something similar. I don't know, they may be, but they probably just found that flag at some garage sale or at the flea market for cheap, and it was just used to cover up a blank wall.
    Boren sounded pissed, and I don't blame him one bit. Having to baby sit these students when something like this gets out of hand with today's press and social media has got to be a freaking headache ---the Mixon deal and the Shannon deal, with women, and now this. No wonder the Univ prezs and the Head FB coaches in today's times get the big bucks.

LMAO, Anderson Cooper just admitted on the air that the Confederate Flag they showed in the window earlier was in the SAE house at OSU --not OU. Figures. Damage done, and most people had switched the channel before the correction was issued. Such is the way of today's press trying to blow up the issue.
    Can you please not bring the Confederacy into this? This has absolutely NOTHING to do with the Confederacy or the War Between the States, so please don't continue to soil the name of our southern patriots by connecting these two issues. I consider this to be every bit as insulting as the racist comments themselves, so please keep the Confederacy out of it.

vCash

I just asked 8th, he said it was all Bush's fault
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

If God wanted Men to look women in the eyes, He wouldnt have gave em Boobs !

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 aurorasooner's Avatar
    vCash

Can you please not bring the Confederacy into this? This has absolutely NOTHING to do with the Confederacy or the War Between the States, so please don't continue to soil the name of our southern patriots by connecting these two issues. I consider this to be every bit as insulting as the racist comments themselves, so please keep the Confederacy out of it.
    You're joking right? If not then I really don't GAS if you think this is insulting because I was just pointing out that CNN was trying to make some kind of connection of that confederate flag with those idiots on that fraternity bus by pointing out that they were showing that flag through that supposed OU SAE fraternity window and it was in reality, by their own retraction, in the OSU SAE frat's window, not OU, and they're just re-airing that interview again now, and they didn't even edit the flag part out, although they'll probably own up that it wasn't even at OU, 30 min from now.
    As far as that flag goes, never owned one, and don't plan to ever own one. Also, as far your plead for me to not bring the Confederacy in to this, send your complaint to CNN or the OSU SAEs.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Soonerjeepman's Avatar
    vCash

my son, 19, said the same thing...what's the big deal? How can Boren close the house. I'm surprised because he's young. He doesn't agree they did it but freedom of speech deal. I told him I'm sure the frat (never was in one) had a ethics contract with the school...

I'm ONLY playing devil's advocate....ya think the black frat has said some choice words about white guys? prob...just smart enough to not record it or post it....lol
    How do you know if you get there, if you don't know where you are going?..oh and I had 1,713 post on the "other board"..I hate being a rookie again!

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Blue's Avatar
    vCash

What those dummies did was wrong...but the PC witch hunting nd self righteous grandstanding in this country is scary.

You are next. If you don't get in line with the agenda, you are next. Can you stand up for what you believe in or will you crumble under the PC Wave?

Not talkin race.

vCash

Why not bring your beloved confederacy into it? They proudly claim they are the only national frat founded in the antebellum South "“Sigma Alpha Epsilon is the only national fraternity founded in the antebellum South,” the fraternity’s national webpage explains, adding that the frat was “[f]ounded in a time of intense sectional feeling” and that it initially “confined its growth to the southern states.”Though SAE had “fewer than 400 members when the Civil War began,” 369 fought in the Confederate army. Only seven fought for the union." http://thinkprogress.org/justice/201...ist-incidents/ Soil the name of our southern patriots? Your mean the ones that took up arms and attacked the United States of America? Every bit as insulting as the racist comments themselves? Where on gods green earth do you get this crap? It is the website of the frat that brags about their founding members being the cowards that attacked the United States of America and took an *** whipping. You people lost - get over it. You don't see what the outrage is about? Chanting about lynching? Is that ok? I don't see anyone here talking about lynching the good ol' confederacy. If you love the confederacy more than you do America - LEAVE!
    Last edited by Sooner8th; 3/9/2015 at 10:47 PM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by olevetonahill View Post
    I just asked 8th, he said it was all Bush's fault
    A blatant boldfaced out and out LIE. You never asked me a thing and I never said it was bush's fault - two lies in 11 words, you should work for faux "news". You gleefully started an entire thread calling me a liar when I wrongly said I got faux "news" from you. That was a mistake of memory - this is a LIE. Lying idiot.

vCash

Of course the reaction is overblown, but in today's world, the only reaction that can be had is an overreaction. It's the right response for that reason. If it were to go through a long process, the result would likely be the same. Now, legally speaking, I'm not sure Boren had the right to give them such a limited time to vacate. 36 hours? Short of them actually destroying the house, I'm not sure he can force them out with such short notice. And SAE is a big frat, so I doubt that everybody in that house was involved in singing that song. I'm sure lawyers on here know better than I do.