Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Obama awarded "4 pinocchios" on Keystone Pipeline.

WaPo: 4 Pinocchios to Obama For Repeating False Claims on Keystone
    Monday, 02 Mar 2015 11:57 AM
    By Drew MacKenzie

The Washington Post's Fact Checker Glenn Kessler has given four Pinocchios to President Barack Obama for his statement that the Keystone XL pipeline proposal "bypasses the United States."

After Obama had vetoed a bill in Congress last week to approve the construction of the oil pipeline from Canada, he made a deceptive statement to a North Dakota radio station defending his position, according to Kessler.

"I've already said I'm happy to look at how we can increase pipeline production for U.S. oil, but Keystone is for Canadian oil to send that down to the Gulf," Obama said during the interview.

"It bypasses the United States and is estimated to create a little over 250, maybe 300 permanent jobs. We should be focusing more broadly on American infrastructure for American jobs and American producers, and that's something that we very much support."

But Kessler said that Obama had repeated false claims about Keystone and managed to make his statements "even more misleading than before" by suggesting that the pipeline would not benefit American producers "at all."

"The Fact Checker … takes no position on the pipeline, and has repeatedly skewered both sides for overinflated rhetoric," Kessler wrote. "Yet the president's latest comments especially stand out.

"When the president says 'it bypasses the United States,' he leaves out a very important step. The crude oil would travel to the Gulf Coast, where it would be refined into products such as motor gasoline and diesel fuel.

"Current trends suggest that only about half of that refined product would be exported, and it could easily be lower."

Kessler noted that a report released in February by IHS Energy, which consults for energy companies, said that "Canadian crude making its way to the USGC [Gulf Coast] will likely be refined there, and most of the refined products are likely to be consumed in the United States."

Although environmentalists say IHS comments are self-serving, the findings are similar to those in the State Department's environmental impact statements on the Keystone XL project.

"This is what is especially strange about Obama's remarks, as he appears to be purposely ignoring the findings of the lead Cabinet agency on the issue," Kessler wrote.

The Fact Checker also noted that although Obama claims that Keystone is just for Canadian oil, the pipeline would actually help U.S. oil producers in North Dakota and Montana.

"Moreover, U.S. companies control about 30 percent of the production in Canada's oil sands region," Kessler wrote. "Thus, contrary to Obama's suggestion, it is not strictly Canadian.

"When Obama first started making the claim that the crude oil in the Keystone pipeline would bypass the United States, we wavered between Three and Four Pinocchios — and strongly suggested he take the time to review the State Department report. Clearly, the report remains unread."

Kessler concluded by saying: "The president's latest remarks pushes this assertion into the Four Pinocchios column. If he disagrees with the State Department's findings, he should begin to make the case why it is wrong, rather than assert the opposite, without any factual basis.

"Moreover, by telling North Dakota listeners that the pipeline has no benefit for Americans, he is again being misleading, given that producers in the region have signed contracts to transport some of their production through the pipeline."

Read Latest Breaking News from Newsmax.com http://www.newsmax.com/US/Washington...#ixzz3TG6YkAjS

I can't imagine anyone being surprised at this.
    Last edited by okie52; 3/2/2015 at 05:15 PM.

Wishing I was moving to Monroe, Oklahoma...
    vCash

Re: Obama awarded "4 pinocchios" on Keystone Pipeline.

Heesterical....
    Everything progressives do is aimed at weakening democracy, capitalism and the social and cultural institutions that support those things...... They are about subjugating people and being a ruling class.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

It is a stupid decision----purely political----and it helps his pal Warren

vCash

Maybe pelosi was advising him about "fossil fuels".

vCash

I oppose the pipeline unless it can be built without using eminent domain authority.

vCash

No eminent domain for any project?

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 hawaii 5-0's Avatar
    vCash

I never understood why the TeaBagggers got so upset over some rancher not paying taxes for grazing his cattle on Federal Land but when some foreign company wants to use Eminent Domain to take an American private citizen's land no one seems to give a shlt.

5-0
    BOY HOWDY !!!!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by hawaii 5-0 View Post
    I never understood why the TeaBagggers got so upset over some rancher not paying taxes for grazing his cattle on Federal Land but when some foreign company wants to use Eminent Domain to take an American private citizen's land no one seems to give a shlt.

5-0
    I consider it absolutely criminal. I value almost nothing in this country above private property rights.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SicEmBaylor View Post
    I consider it absolutely criminal. I value almost nothing in this country above private property rights.
    ---Without eminent domain you could never build a road or put in many public utilities

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by hawaii 5-0 View Post
    I never understood why the TeaBagggers got so upset over some rancher not paying taxes for grazing his cattle on Federal Land but when some foreign company wants to use Eminent Domain to take an American private citizen's land no one seems to give a shlt

5-0
    ---The majority of landowners will be more than happy to take the check for the R.O.W. across their property

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SicEmBaylor View Post
    Please don't try to apply any logic to conservative positions. Their constitutional principals are fluid. If faux "news" and rightwingnut media say it is an outrage that a deadbeat rancher doesn't want to pay rent like everyone else - grab your high powered rifle with a scope on it and point it at a federal law enforcement official and call it patriotism. Then when the koch's want to put a pipeline in and want to take land people don't want to give up claim it's just obammys wer on earl and he hates 'merica!

vCash

I see some people are clueless about using eminent domain to build pipelines

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Turd_Ferguson's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by REDREX View Post
    Heh. You could have just stopped at clueless.

OleVet Posse Instigator

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 dwarthog's Avatar
    vCash

Everyone's an expert on the internet. Would've thought you had that figured by now. :-)

vCash

---Without eminent domain you could never build a road or put in many public utilities
    Same goes for many airports, railroads, sewers, lakes...

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sooner8th View Post
    Please don't try to apply any logic to conservative positions. Their constitutional principals are fluid. If faux "news" and rightwingnut media say it is an outrage that a deadbeat rancher doesn't want to pay rent like everyone else - grab your high powered rifle with a scope on it and point it at a federal law enforcement official and call it patriotism. Then when the koch's want to put a pipeline in and want to take land people don't want to give up claim it's just obammys wer on earl and he hates 'merica!
    So Obammy was against Keystone because of Eminent domain?

vCash

5-0 and I are not talking about eminent domain to build pipelines. We are talking about how your fluid "principals" and "constitutional rights" are. Changing when the rightwing media tells you to. You people defended the taker rancher to the point of pointing sniper rifles at law enforcement, but when citizens don't want to give up land to have a pipeline on it - not a problem. Try to be consistent.

vCash

5-0 and I are not talking about eminent domain to build pipelines. We are talking about how your fluid "principals" and "constitutional rights" are. Changing when the rightwing media tells you to. You people defended the taker rancher to the point of pointing sniper rifles at law enforcement, but when citizens don't want to give up land to have a pipeline on it - not a problem. Try to be consistent.
    ---Try not to find an example and then bend the facts to fit what you are trying to show---And you don't "give up" land only an easement---the vast majority of easements are purchased without using eminent domain

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Turd_Ferguson's Avatar
    vCash

And like a true lemming lib, you won't see the difference in the two...only blue donkeys. Keep tow'n that line lemming!

OleVet Posse Instigator

vCash

---Try not to find an example and then bend the facts to fit what you are trying to show---And you don't "give up" land only an easement---the vast majority of easements are purchased without using eminent domain
    Is that the line you're going with? These are two different things? Taking property is taking property. There is not bending facts. You said yourself that "the vast majority of easements are purchased without using eminent domain" which means some are. And constitutional loving conservatives don't mind as long as the koch's get what they want.