Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jeb dodges CPAC

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Jeb dodges CPAC

Jeb Bush Skips CPAC Speech in Favor of Q&A With Sean Hannity

Thursday, 26 Feb 2015 08:31 AM
    By Drew MacKenzie

In a calculated bid to make his case as the GOP's next presidential nominee, former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush faces a grilling from Fox News host Sean Hannity at the Conservative Political Action Conference this week.

Bush has opted to field tough questions from Hannity at CPAC rather than taking his chances with the traditional speech in front of a potentially hostile audience at the annual forum, as he gambles that it will give him a better shot at explaining his views on conservative issues, according to Politico.

"His brand of moderate conservatism is an awkward fit with CPAC's ideologically strident audience," wrote the website's Alex Isenstadt. "His political lineage is a sore spot for many attendees, particularly the younger and more libertarian-oriented."

Isenstadt added: "Then there's Bush immigration reform efforts and support for Common Core education standards: Both are deal-breakers."

Bush has angered conservatives with his support of immigration reform and the Common Core State Standards Initiative, both of which could hurt his presidential chances.

Grover Norquist, an anti-tax advocate who is set to speak at CPAC in Maryland's National Harbor, said, "he needs to talk in a way that shows he understands this is a different Republican Party. That's what I think his challenge is. Somehow he's got to show that he's up to speed."

Norquist was referring to the fact Bush has not served in public office since 2007, and therefore, unlike other possible Republican contenders for the 2016 nomination, cannot prove his "conservative credentials" with his recent political policies.

"It's more of a challenge to lay out an agenda because he's been out of office longer than others," said Tim Phillips, the president of Americans for Prosperity, a leading conservative group largely funded by the billionaire donors Charles and David Koch.

Bush will have a 20-minute question and answer session with Hannity, a prominent conservative who has interviewed Bush several times on his television show, Politico reported.

Al Cardenas, a Bush adviser and a former chairman of the American Conservative Union, the organization that sponsors CPAC, told the political news website that Bush planned to "speak from the heart," adding, "He chose a format purposely that allows all the audience to spend the most time with him."

Most other White House hopefuls, including Texas Sen. Ted Cruz and Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul, will give speeches lasting 14 minutes, followed by question-and- answer sessions of six minutes, Politico said.

"Bush's CPAC strategy isn't without risks," wrote Isenstadt. "In not giving a speech in a high-profile conservative arena, he is ceding the stage to other candidates whose addresses will be crafted for the purpose of exciting the CPAC faithful.

"Increasingly viewed as the front-runner thanks to his prolific fundraising and high name ID, Bush may even find himself under attack from his potential rivals.

"While his opponents are unlikely to call out the former governor by name, their advisers say, they plan to highlight their strident opposition to Common Core."

Read Latest Breaking News from Newsmax.com http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/jeb...#ixzz3SssvCy4k
    The pub establishment wants jeb bad. We'll see if Hannity tosses him some softballs. Jeb has already indicated that he will likely skip Iowa too (too hostile).

vCash

Re: Jeb dodges CPAC

The hostility in Iowa comes from the evangelical right. This bunch is quite
    vocal...its leader, a guy named Vander Platz, leads the movement against
    same sex marriage. The Iowa Supreme Court ruled unanimously that same
    sex marriage was/is legal. Vander Platz, with seed money from Gingrich,
    campaigned against retention of three of the judges (all were turned out of
    office, in and off itself a crime, all over a single issue). He is now pushing
    to get the issue on a ballot for a general referendum, which would only be
    overturned by SCOTUS. I point all this out because this group literally forces
    Pub candidates so far to the right that when they leave Iowa for NH they are
    damaged beyond repair. Bush may be onto something, but he should remember
    Hizzoner Giuliana and his screw up (skipped Iowa altogether).

vCash

Interesting about the far right in Iowa which doesn't seem to hold up in the prez general election. Jeb is going to have trouble with the pub base in many places as long as he pushes for amnesty and common core. But the pub establishment wants him and he will have big backers so he's not likely to go away...I wish he would though.

vCash

Ya know, Okie, EVERY Pub that has come out of Iowa since I've been here,
    (Umm, lessee, I moved here in 1989) has had this problem...25 years...
    and it won't change...this bunch reelects Steve King, is in LOVE with Grassley
    and has made Branstad (Teflon reincarnated) the longest serving governor
    in US history. There is a group that tries to overcome it but at their "right"
    time, outside money and one or two zealots always seem to appear and keep
    doing their thing....always the same bunch..grumpy old white men and those
    that sleep with them (think Iowa is the 2nd oldest state in the Union)...

vCash

Jeb is a scum sucking pig.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Turd_Ferguson's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SicEmBaylor View Post
    Jeb is a scum sucking pig.
    His run for POTUS has to be a ruse. I can't imagine that himself or anybody in the GOP would think this a good idea.

OleVet Posse Instigator

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Turd_Ferguson View Post
    His run for POTUS has to be a ruse. I can't imagine that himself or anybody in the GOP would think this a good idea.
    TF, don't think it's a ruse. He's already hiring operators here in Iowa,
    lining up big money donors, going around making policy speeches and
    generally acting like a bush wanting to grow to a tree......

vCash

The pub establishment wants jeb...the base doesn't. So far, jeb has not been great at the podium and hasn't shown that he is going to change the base's opinion about him.

So Rock, how did Joni get elected in blue state Iowa?

Wishing I was moving to Monroe, Oklahoma...
    vCash

Fvck jeb... Never ever will vote for a bush ever again, not gonna do it... Fvcking RINO.
    Everything progressives do is aimed at weakening democracy, capitalism and the social and cultural institutions that support those things...... They are about subjugating people and being a ruling class.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by okie52 View Post
    The pub establishment wants jeb...the base doesn't. So far, jeb has not been great at the podium and hasn't shown that he is going to change the base's opinion about him.

So Rock, how did Joni get elected in blue state Iowa?
    Ummmm, "blue"...hardly...a six term Pub governor, 6 term idiot
    in the 4th district (King), a six term Pub senator (Grumpy Grassley)
    newly elected Pub rep (Young, former chief of staff of Ol Grumpy)
    and, finally, Ms "Make 'Em Squeal" Ernst. Of the top four PAC's
    working to elect her, 2 were Koch Bothers and one was Karl Rove.
    The fourth was her own, the other three each spent more money than
    she did. Her opponent ran a dreadful campaign (the election was his
    to lose, and he did).

One more thing, Indies make up more registered voters than either the
    Pubs or Dems. It was an off year and the Pub base is ALWAYS more
    motivated in off years than the Dems. Ernst took no real stance on any
    issues and her opponent (Braley) put his foot in his mouth over and over.

2016 will be interesting nationally, in the Senate. Pubs defend 23 seats
    and the Dems 11.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by TheHumanAlphabet View Post
    Fvck jeb... Never ever will vote for a bush ever again, not gonna do it... Fvcking RINO.
    Werd!
    Behold the pale horse. The man who sat on him was death, and Hell followed with him.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

Winner of the Nobel Peace Prize 2015.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Turd_Ferguson's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Curly Bill View Post
    Werd!
    Speck. Werd Up!

OleVet Posse Instigator

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Turd_Ferguson View Post
    The RINO types apparently think the base will all come out for him when it's time for the general. The Left KNOWS the R base will NOT all come out for Bush. So, the Left and the RINOS will push hard to get Jeb or some other RINO the R nomination. (look what happened to Romney in '12)
    Put a lid on it! Kiss it goodbye. We gave it away, and apparently thought it made sense to do so.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by rock on sooner View Post
    Ummmm, "blue"...hardly...a six term Pub governor, 6 term idiot
    in the 4th district (King), a six term Pub senator (Grumpy Grassley)
    newly elected Pub rep (Young, former chief of staff of Ol Grumpy)
    and, finally, Ms "Make 'Em Squeal" Ernst. Of the top four PAC's
    working to elect her, 2 were Koch Bothers and one was Karl Rove.
    The fourth was her own, the other three each spent more money than
    she did. Her opponent ran a dreadful campaign (the election was his
    to lose, and he did).

One more thing, Indies make up more registered voters than either the
    Pubs or Dems. It was an off year and the Pub base is ALWAYS more
    motivated in off years than the Dems. Ernst took no real stance on any
    issues and her opponent (Braley) put his foot in his mouth over and over.

2016 will be interesting nationally, in the Senate. Pubs defend 23 seats
    and the Dems 11.
    Blue as in presidential elections. Iowa even voted for Gore and Dukakis...kind of hard not to paint Iowa with a blue brush. And how many terms did Harkin serve?. Certainly not one of my favorites.

I like King on immigration....wish there were more like him in that regard.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by okie52 View Post
    Blue as in presidential elections. Iowa even voted for Gore and Dukakis...kind of hard not to paint Iowa with a blue brush. And how many terms did Harkin serve?. Certainly not one of my favorites.

I like King on immigration....wish there were more like him in that regard.
    Harkin served five terms in the Senate, almost as liberal as Kennedy...did do good,
    at least once, Americans with Disabilities Act...plus worked hard for Iowans. As to
    King....Oh My...?!

In presidential elections, the Indies and Dems together overcome the evangelicals. Pubs
    couldn't really decide between Santorum and Romney last time. Inexplicably, in mid
    terms, Indies and Dems sit on their hands. Can't really explain Dukakis, though.

vCash

Heh heh...don't know about kings other positions but on immigration he's excellent...I'd give him a Medal of Honor.

Iowa surprises me in that I would say Ohio and Indiana are more conservative

vCash

Well, Okie, just google him for the Wikipedia and read it all the way through..
    after you read that and you still think he is what you'd like him and more like
    him to be around. I'm sorry, truly am...King is a freakin' nutcase and a mystery
    to me as to why he keeps getting reelected, other than his district is 2 to 1 Pub
    vs Dem and even more than the Indies....39 counties in Iowa, all along the Missouri
    River.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by rock on sooner View Post
    Well, Okie, just google him for the Wikipedia and read it all the way through..
    after you read that and you still think he is what you'd like him and more like
    him to be around. I'm sorry, truly am...King is a freakin' nutcase and a mystery
    to me as to why he keeps getting reelected, other than his district is 2 to 1 Pub
    vs Dem and even more than the Indies....39 counties in Iowa, all along the Missouri
    River.
    how does someone with as much age and hopefully life experience as you remain a stupid statist?
    Put a lid on it! Kiss it goodbye. We gave it away, and apparently thought it made sense to do so.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Blue's Avatar
    vCash

He's a Bush, nuff said. F this dysfunctional monarchy we got going on.

vCash

How is Jeb any less desirable as a Pres. than Obammy was over 6 years ago?
    I hope the Repubs put up a Hell of a candidate. But Ill vote for Jeb before i vote for Cankles!
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

If God wanted Men to look women in the eyes, He wouldnt have gave em Boobs !