Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash

Re: Salsa Nacho Banned by NCAA

Quote Originally Posted by Pride1Mom View Post
    With the USC and Reggie Bush story, and yet the NCAA pulls this on a HOMELESS person and a WALK-ON? But then, who said the NCAA rules make any sense.....
    Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    If I were Dave Bliss, I would be telling Baylor players to say Salsa Nacho was a drug dealer and that's how he got the money for his apartment. Drug dealing's not an NCAA violation! Ha! Now you can't sanction us!

*groan*
    Like I said I dont like the NCAA but they didnt do anything. From the Article I linked!

The NCAA followed up with its own statement, denying any involvement in the situation:

This could be a case of Baylor finding a player ineligible for any number of reasons related or unrelated to this or other NCAA rules, with the player interpreting the news as an NCAA ruling and the NCAA simply pointing out it did not make the decision.

Whoever made the decision, it doesn't sound like it was the coaching staff, based on comments by head coach Art Briles.

The organization dealt with a similar controversy last May, when Boise State asked fans not to assist homeless junior college commit Antoine Turner after his story was televised on local news. A waiver was eventually approved by the NCAA, allowing the school to provide special assistance, but Turner was a scholarship recruit.

Nacita scored three touchdowns and made academic All-Big 12 last season while sleeping on apartment floors and studying pictures taken on his phone of textbook pages at the campus bookstore. He earned academic scholarships while in community college, allowing him to attend Baylor, but was not on athletic scholarship with the university.
    More from SBNation.com

Once-homeless Baylor player ineligible ... but why?
    What if college football had soccer-style relegation?
    Map! Where non-blue-chip first round picks come from
    ESPN suspends Keith Olbermann for these Penn State tweets
    If this guy can't fix A&M's defense, nobody can
    The South keeps 91 percent of its top recruits home

Tweet (81) Share
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

If God wanted Men to look women in the eyes, He wouldnt have gave em Boobs !

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

He wrote on Twitter: "The bottom line is that I broke the rules. I should've never accepted the help and I am deeply sorry for my actions"

Administrator
    vCash

I think the kid is telling the truth, and the really sad part is that he didn't feel like he had any options in all of this. Sure, Baylor compliance "advised" him not to take the help, but what did they offer in return? It sounds like nothing. Then again, there's a lot to this story we don't know.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    Wishing I was moving to Monroe, Oklahoma...
    vCash

I wonder if there is more to the story... Why didn't Baylor help more? Surely there was some mission or shelter or the team chaplin who was on Fixer Upper recently could have helped... If not, pretty ****ty of Baylor, IMO. Just. Wonder if there is more...
    Everything progressives do is aimed at weakening democracy, capitalism and the social and cultural institutions that support those things...... They are about subjugating people and being a ruling class.

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

Why didn't Baylor help more?
    What if you, too, could tell the homeless person on the street "I'd love to give you money or even a place to live, but NCAA rules prevent me from being generous."

Art Briles is not allowed to part with any of his millions, and neither is Baylor. It makes the perception of being charitable and generous a lot easier. You don't have to be either because NCAA rules say you can't.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Soonerjeepman's Avatar
    vCash

well, I hate to be the "downer" but if baylor didn't help any other "regular" student who needed help they shouldn't him...just cause he plays fball...just my thoughts. I'd love for my kid to get help...
    How do you know if you get there, if you don't know where you are going?..oh and I had 1,713 post on the "other board"..I hate being a rookie again!

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

I know that I'm being unduly rough on the Baylors, jeepman. I know that this is likely a misunderstanding of the rules where nobody is completely at fault and therefore everyone is partially to blame.

But BU is being mighty high on itself lately and must be brought down a notch. If we can't accomplish that on the football field, why not take cheap shots at them for off-field issues

SoonerFans.com Elite Member KantoSooner's Avatar
    vCash

The greatest thing about Baylor is that you need do nothing. Just wait, give them time and they'll bang themselves.
    They just can't help it.
    "I don't know karate, but I know ka-razor!" - James Brown

SoonerFans.com Elite Member KantoSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Hang themselves.
    Though, for once, spell check was more accurate than the original text.
    "I don't know karate, but I know ka-razor!" - James Brown

SoonerFans.com Elite Member birddog's Avatar
    vCash

Prolly giving old new but I didn't see it answered. His name on text is auto corrected to salsa nacho. Mystery solved.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by TheHumanAlphabet View Post
    I wonder if there is more to the story... Why didn't Baylor help more? Surely there was some mission or shelter or the team chaplin who was on Fixer Upper recently could have helped... If not, pretty ****ty of Baylor, IMO. Just. Wonder if there is more...
    That's my thinking too. There's definitely a lot more to this story that we don't (and probably never will) know.

I suspect the kid just used "NCAA" in his tweet as kind of a catch-all, and didn't expect it to blow up like it did. I think it's funny how quickly the NCAA reacted to the situation. Their scared to death right now, and wanted to get their asses covered ASAP.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Soonerfan88's Avatar
    vCash

Baylor definitely could have done more and should have. They could have filed for an exemption from the NCAA to provide assistance. Also there is a special fund run by the NCAA for cases like this. It funds all kinds of things for athletes from emergency travel to winter coats. At the least, they could have directed him to local charity organizations who provide assistance for all kinds of people everyday so it certainly would not have been special treatment. Instead, they did nothing but say sorry, you ignored our rules about taking assistance so we are making you ineligible.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Mazeppa's Avatar
    vCash