Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Administrator
    vCash

Putin backing down?

Today, Putin made a speech and in it said a war with Ukraine would be "apocalyptic". He went on to say "I believe such a scenario is unlikely and believe it will never get to that point". He pointed to the Minsk agreement as the process that will "normalize" the situation.

The sanctions have obviously had an affect on the Russian economy, and the (rare) international pressure that has been put on Putin/Russia seem to be having a positive affect. Putin isn't stupid, surely he realized that further escalating the situation in Ukraine would more than likely force the US's hand (to weaponize the Ukrainian troops), and any further escalation would seriously put Russia in jeopardy of further retaliation.

It appears that he's feeling the heat at home, and is possibly ready to back off.

In the meantime, CNN (I know, I know) reports that 81% of the Russians polled have anti-American feelings. Supposedly the highest since the cold war. Personally, I could care less, but I did find it kind of funny that the Kremlin's propaganda machine is still in working order. They (CNN) had a quote from a lady that said "They (the US) want to take half of Russia". I can't even imagine how the situation would have to be spun in order for an average citizen to believe that. Then again, the "average citizen" here isn't too smart, so it's probably not much different there.

Here's the article, if you're interested.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Turd_Ferguson's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Putin backing down?

I think Putin is smart but, he's crazy as a **** house rat and is not predictable. Also, comparing the USA's average citizen with Russia's average citizen, is nowhere near the same, IMO.

OleVet Posse Instigator

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Turd_Ferguson View Post
    I think Putin is smart but, he's crazy as a **** house rat and is not predictable.
    Actually, he isn't crazy at all. In fact, he's coldly rational. Everything he has done in his career from beginning to now has been extremely calculated; however, he definitely pushes the envelope. He has clearly over-reached in Ukraine, but he did get the entire Crimea peninsula out of it. Putin has also out maneuvered us in the middle east to the point that it's flat out embarrassing.

I've actually met the man, once.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member SCOUT's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SicEmBaylor View Post
    Actually, he isn't crazy at all. In fact, he's coldly rational. Everything he has done in his career from beginning to now has been extremely calculated; however, he definitely pushes the envelope. He has clearly over-reached in Ukraine, but he did get the entire Crimea peninsula out of it. Putin has also out maneuvered us in the middle east to the point that it's flat out embarrassing.

I've actually met the man, once.
    Putin being calculating and clever does not exclude the notion that he is crazy. There are lots of examples of crazy individuals of his sort.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SCOUT View Post
    Putin being calculating and clever does not exclude the notion that he is crazy. There are lots of examples of crazy individuals of his sort.
    Fair point, but I still wouldn't say he's crazy -- at least not by Russian standards.

vCash

Fair point, but I still wouldn't say he's crazy -- at least not by Russian standards.
    But we{the ones calling him Crazy} aint Russian! And what does you havin met him have to do with him being Crazy or not?
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

If God wanted Men to look women in the eyes, He wouldnt have gave em Boobs !

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by olevetonahill View Post
    But we{the ones calling him Crazy} aint Russian! And what does you havin met him have to do with him being Crazy or not?
    Nothing whatsoever. I was just saying it was cool I got the chance to meet the guy. FWIW, I have a begrudging respect for Putin.

vCash

Nothing whatsoever. I was just saying it was cool I got the chance to meet the guy. FWIW, I have a begrudging respect for Putin.
    But you rode a Moped and drank Zima, YOU dont count
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by olevetonahill View Post
    But you rode a Moped and drank Zima, YOU dont count
    I've never driven or rode a moped nor have I ever actually drank Zima, so my opinion is doubly valid.

vCash

I've never driven or rode a moped nor have I ever actually drank Zima, so my opinion is doubly valid.
    Ya got lost going to Austin er somesuch by way of Amarillo

vCash

I think more highly of Putin than I do the Loser-in-Chief ruining our country.
    Behold the pale horse. The man who sat on him was death, and Hell followed with him.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

Winner of the Nobel Peace Prize 2015.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Curly Bill View Post
    Well ya got me there

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Turd_Ferguson View Post
    I think Putin is smart but, he's crazy as a **** house rat and is not predictable. Also, comparing the USA's average citizen with Russia's average citizen, is nowhere near the same, IMO.
    Of course there are major differences, but when you start polling the public here in the US, it doesn't take long to see that many are ignorant. I suspect it's similar in Russia.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

I think Putin will do what he wants, and the USA will do nothing to stop him, with the possible exception of some embargos.
    Put a lid on it! Kiss it goodbye. We gave it away, and apparently thought it made sense to do so.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Curly Bill View Post
    It would appear that in Russia they expect authoritarianism. Not so much here in the USA.
    Put a lid on it! Kiss it goodbye. We gave it away, and apparently thought it made sense to do so.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone! View Post
    I think Putin will do what he wants, and the USA will do nothing to stop him, with the possible exception of some embargos.
    He's not going to do whatever he wants; he's going to do whatever he thinks he can get by with. In any case, why the hell should we stop Russia from doing anything at all unless they attack us? How is it our business what he does in Eastern Europe? Spoiler alert: It isn't.

vCash

He's not going to do whatever he wants; he's going to do whatever he thinks he can get by with. In any case, why the hell should we stop Russia from doing anything at all unless they attack us? How is it our business what he does in Eastern Europe? Spoiler alert: It isn't.
    yawn. being argumentative when there's no need.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

What do you want us to do?

vCash

yawn. being argumentative when there's no need.
    I'm not being argumentative at all. I think it's worth discussing why anyone would think it's our role or responsibility to "stop" Russia from doing what it wants -- Russia is a sovereign nation perfectly within its rights to act in its own self-interests. It is not in the self-interest of the United States to interfere in their affairs in eastern Europe or anywhere else unless or until they directly move against American territory.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sooner8th View Post
    What do you want us to do?
    I suspect he wants us to bomb Moscow. Will he be the first to volunteer to throw a saddle on the first ICBM and ride that bitch to glory?