Thread: NFL Combine

SoonerFans.com Elite Member swardboy's Avatar
    vCash

NFL Combine

I see Blake Bell ran a 4.8 40....considered good for a 6'5" tight end. Any other Sooner news from Indy?
    "I'm going to request that you stop posting in this thread." - circa 2008
    "Why does there have to be so much immature stuff on here?" - circa 2010

vCash

Re: NFL Combine

Found this on SB Nation:

We are beginning a series of post giving an overview of each Sooner player that is eligible for the NFL Draft. This overview will include height, weights, 40 times, vertical jumps, etc... and what round each guy at CCM believes they will be selected in the upcoming draft. Today we begin with Blake Bell.
    Blake Bell had the ability just like any athlete to enhance or hurt his draft stock in Indianapolis today and by all accounts he showed well. Here are his combine numbers as well as some analysts thoughts on him. We also threw in a funny pic of Blake for good measure along with our draft predictions.

HT: 6-6
    WT: 252lbs
    HANDS: 10"
    ARM LENGTH: 33 1/8"
    40 YARD DASH: 4.80 seconds, which was 5th best.
    BENCH PRESS: 14 reps, which was 14th best.
    VERTICAL: 33" which was tied for 6th best.
    BROAD JUMP: 9'8" which was 6th best.
    20 YARD SHUTTLE: 4.32 seconds, which was 2nd best.
    60 YARD SHUTTLE: 11.81 seconds, which was 2nd best.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

I would think the showing in the shuttle drills would be important. It shows the ability to quickly change directions which could help get separation on short routes. I don't see the bench reps as a big deal, but a smidge faster in the 40 would have really helped.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

I wish that kid the best. Truly a die-hard Sooner. He also was our only reliable set of hands outside of Shephard this year, which was really surprising to me.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by EatLeadCommie View Post
    I wish that kid the best. Truly a die-hard Sooner. He also was our only reliable set of hands outside of Shephard this year, which was really surprising to me.
    I thought Durron Neal was going to be a star for us. His HS films were more than spectacular...of course, our qb's didn't pass so well, either.
    Put a lid on it! Kiss it goodbye. We gave it away, and apparently thought it made sense to do so.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    I would think the showing in the shuttle drills would be important. It shows the ability to quickly change directions which could help get separation on short routes. I don't see the bench reps as a big deal, but a smidge faster in the 40 would have really helped.
    It would be great to see Blake take on a Graham-like TE role (Saints), but you're probably right about the 40 time hurting. However we did see him do a great job of getting downfield last fall in certain cases.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone! View Post
    I thought Durron Neal was going to be a star for us. His HS films were more than spectacular...of course, our qb's didn't pass so well, either.
    You and me both.

I'm not completely giving up on him (because, like you said, he didn't exactly have great QB play), but to this point, he's been disappointing. Hopefully that changes next year.

Administrator
    vCash

I'd be surprised if Blake doesn't get drafted. There's no question he'll be a 'project' player for some team, but all you have to do is look at the guy's film to see that he has the ability to be a very good TE. He just needs more time and coaching.

Someone will take him. If (by some chance) he end up as a UFA, he'll get a shot somewhere and I think he'll make enough of an impression to get picked up.

Daryl Williams and Jordan Phillips appear to have helped themselves at the combine. Julian Wilson is testing today.