Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Sooner Starter
    vCash

Re: Houston wants into the Big XII

this^^^
    "Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, to assure the survival and success of liberty."
    - President John F. Kennedy

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SicEmBaylor View Post
    Smart move. Cut out the bottom and the top -- keep the middle.
    not quite. Waco and Lubbock should belong to a conference other than where OU plays.
    Put a lid on it! Kiss it goodbye. We gave it away, and apparently thought it made sense to do so.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone! View Post
    IMO the Big 12 is in the midst of becoming the old SWC, and our best move, especially for recruiting Texas, is to GTFO and ASAP.
    At this point, I'd support a move. However, I don't see that being a reality. With the current structure within the Big XII (and penalties for departing), and the albatross around our neck (OSU), I don't see a quick/clean move in the neat future.

vCash

I want in the ACC.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 8timechamps View Post
    At this point, I'd support a move. However, I don't see that being a reality. With the current structure within the Big XII (and penalties for departing), and the albatross around our neck (OSU), I don't see a quick/clean move in the neat future.
    who said it was a reality??! We are just passing time on this place. If Boren stays at OU, and obviously has control and power over any moves we make, it appears he requires Stoolville academy to join us at the hip.
    Put a lid on it! Kiss it goodbye. We gave it away, and apparently thought it made sense to do so.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member KantoSooner's Avatar
    vCash

I find it hard, Rush, to fault him. He's only responding to the political realities in OKC. The BOR and Legislature would come down on OU and Boren's lil punkin' head so fast if he tried anything like that it'd make all our heads spin. And given a choice between keeping overall university operations rocking along and pleasing football fans, Boren would be insane to do other than what he's done.
    "I don't know karate, but I know ka-razor!" - James Brown

Administrator
    vCash

who said it was a reality??! We are just passing time on this place. If Boren stays at OU, and obviously has control and power over any moves we make, it appears he requires Stoolville academy to join us at the hip.
    Well, I can wish it were reality. The only program worth taking with us would be Texas, unfortunately, I think we're stuck with OSU.

Administrator
    vCash

I want in the ACC.
    Baylor should be happy as pigs in **** by being in the Big XII. If it would have collapsed, the Bears would be wearing Big East championship rings right now. As good as things have been going for the sports programs at Baylor, there's still very little chance they are an 'attractive' addition to any other P5 conference. They simply don't bring anything (in terms of eyeballs).

The ACC might see a positive in adding a Texas footprint, but it's so small that I don't think it would even register.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but Baylor (for all the recent success) isn't a hot commodity in the grand scheme of conference realignment.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 8timechamps View Post
    Baylor should be happy as pigs in **** by being in the Big XII. If it would have collapsed, the Bears would be wearing Big East championship rings right now.
    I agree, and that was absolutely true back then. I was and have been a huge Big XII cheerleader; however, the Big XII has since proven itself unwilling and incapable of furthering and protecting the interests of member institutions (i.e., us).

As good as things have been going for the sports programs at Baylor, there's still very little chance they are an 'attractive' addition to any other P5 conference. They simply don't bring anything (in terms of eyeballs).
    I don't know what this means, but I know it's too idiotic for you to possibly have uttered it.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but Baylor (for all the recent success) isn't a hot commodity in the grand scheme of conference realignment.
    Whether we are or are not isn't something I'm really interested in trying to measure as it's largely irrelevant to my position -- I want out of this conference and in the ACC. I assure you that if the deck chairs need re-arranging again and the ACC needs to expand, it's almost unfathomable that they wouldn't take us.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by KantoSooner View Post
    I find it hard, Rush, to fault him. He's only responding to the political realities in OKC. The BOR and Legislature would come down on OU and Boren's lil punkin' head so fast if he tried anything like that it'd make all our heads spin. And given a choice between keeping overall university operations rocking along and pleasing football fans, Boren would be insane to do other than what he's done.
    It's prolly the main reason I want him gone. I would prefer a Sooner president fight for OU rather than kiss aggy a*s, to our detriment.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member KantoSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Would you then prefer that OU lose about half its operating budget?
    Mebbe Joe could raise ticket prices to cover the difference.
    "I don't know karate, but I know ka-razor!" - James Brown

vCash

If OU was invited to go to another conference and we accepted, you contend we would lose half our operating budget? Elaborate, pls.

vCash

If OU was invited to go to another conference and we accepted, you contend we would lose half our operating budget? Elaborate, pls.
    Is that what happened to Lassie Aggy when they went SEC SEC SEC?

vCash

We can make fun of Baylor and OSU all day long, and I don't discourage it, but those are our #3 and #4 schools behind OU and Texas, and I really don't know that it's very close.

ISU sucks. Their football team is awful, and probably always will be. Their basketball team is randomly good every few years, but not great. If Hoiberg were to stick around for the rest of his career, I think the basketball team would be something, but I expect Hoiberg to be in the NBA within the next few years.

KSU sucks. Their basketball team had a nice run there, but it appears to be fizzling out. Snyder is the only thing keeping their football team from collapsing (as evidenced by his brief departure), and even he can't do more than make them above average. He'll soon be gone, and they'll go back to full suck.

Kansas sucks. They have the kind of football team that back up freshmen running backs on 8-5 teams set records against. They have a great basketball team, and I'd miss it if they were gone, but nobody is all that excited about adding Duke, and Duke actually has a respectable football program (and academic...if you're one of the geeks that actually thinks that matters).

Tech sucks. LOLOL

WVU is that awkward team. They actually contribute, though, as they're solid in basketball and football. It has taken their football time to adjust, but I think they're starting to, as is their basketball team. They're still lightweights compared to OSU and Baylor, though. I'd give them #6.

TCU is the only competition to OSU and Baylor, but I think they're clearly behind as #5. I'm not going to get carried away with their recent success, but they look like they may contribute in football. Basketball is another story.

Administrator
    vCash

I agree, and that was absolutely true back then. I was and have been a huge Big XII cheerleader; however, the Big XII has since proven itself unwilling and incapable of furthering and protecting the interests of member institutions (i.e., us).

I don't know what this means, but I know it's too idiotic for you to possibly have uttered it.

Whether we are or are not isn't something I'm really interested in trying to measure as it's largely irrelevant to my position -- I want out of this conference and in the ACC. I assure you that if the deck chairs need re-arranging again and the ACC needs to expand, it's almost unfathomable that they wouldn't take us.
    I'm with you (in terms of wanting out). While I think the conference (as it stands right now) is sustainable for the near term, I serious don't think it'll survive if/when another round of realignment occurs. There was a time when the ACC looked like it was on it's last breath, but that time has passed and they now look more stable/built for the long haul than the Big XII.

What I meant about Baylor not bringing eyeballs to the table is all about television sets. I strongly suspect any further expansion is going to be all about adding market share (viewership). I don't know exactly what Baylor looks like (in terms of eyeballs watching them on TV), but it can't be huge and they're sharing the state with Texas, A&M, TCU and to a small degree Tech. Those are the big names battling for viewers. If the ACC were to add Baylor, I don't think it would be because they know they'll get a big market share and increase in their TV contract. So, from that standpoint, I don't see them adding value. *that's what I was trying to say* Why do you think the ACC would be so quick to take Baylor? If it were between KU, KSU, Baylor and Tech, then I could see them wanting Baylor ahead of those (with the exception of possibly KU), but I strongly doubt Baylor would be near the top of the list of schools to grab.

If I were to guess, the next round of realignment (whenever that happens) will be one or two of the other P5 conferences folding the Big XII into their existing framework. I don't think all 10 will end up in the same super conference, but I think it's only a matter of time until we see super conferences.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
    We can make fun of Baylor and OSU all day long, and I don't discourage it, but those are our #3 and #4 schools behind OU and Texas, and I really don't know that it's very close.

ISU sucks. Their football team is awful, and probably always will be. Their basketball team is randomly good every few years, but not great. If Hoiberg were to stick around for the rest of his career, I think the basketball team would be something, but I expect Hoiberg to be in the NBA within the next few years.

KSU sucks. Their basketball team had a nice run there, but it appears to be fizzling out. Snyder is the only thing keeping their football team from collapsing (as evidenced by his brief departure), and even he can't do more than make them above average. He'll soon be gone, and they'll go back to full suck.

Kansas sucks. They have the kind of football team that back up freshmen running backs on 8-5 teams set records against. They have a great basketball team, and I'd miss it if they were gone, but nobody is all that excited about adding Duke, and Duke actually has a respectable football program (and academic...if you're one of the geeks that actually thinks that matters).

Tech sucks. LOLOL

WVU is that awkward team. They actually contribute, though, as they're solid in basketball and football. It has taken their football time to adjust, but I think they're starting to, as is their basketball team. They're still lightweights compared to OSU and Baylor, though. I'd give them #6.

TCU is the only competition to OSU and Baylor, but I think they're clearly behind as #5. I'm not going to get carried away with their recent success, but they look like they may contribute in football. Basketball is another story.
    I guess it depends on what you're basing that on...

West Virginia would probably rank ahead of Baylor and OSU in overall attractiveness. I'm not considering how successful their programs have been in the past couple of years, just what kind of value they'd add if they were to join a conference other than the Big XII.

KU has basketball, which can't be discounted, but isn't enough to offset their horrid football program. KSU could make a run at #3 or #4 in the conference in overall value, but I don't think they currently sit ahead of OSU or Baylor.

It's Texas and OU 1 & 2, and nobody is anywhere near the value of the top two. After that, it's kind of a mesh for the next 4 or 5 programs.

vCash

Even right now, I don't think KSU is as good as OSU and Baylor in football. The only reason I think they even compete is because Snyder is their coach, and the guy is 75 years old. As soon as he leaves, I expect they'll fall to about ISU's level. He thought it was time to retire when he was 65, so I can't imagine he'll be coaching at a high level at 80.

As far as the Big XII is concerned, I think Baylor is a great asset. When I think of their football program, I can't help but think of Oregon from a few years back. As far as OU is concerned, though, it doesn't help us. Baylor, TCU, and A&M's (SEC!) rise in recruiting is not doing us any favors. There is plenty of talent to go around, though, if we recruit the right way. We just don't want any more competitors (like Houston). While on the topic of recruiting grounds, I'm going to take this moment to annoy everybody again about my dream of adding Miami and FSU to the Big XII. Hopefully TCU and Baylor will convince them that we play at a high enough level that it's worth it to leave the ACC.

Sooner Starter
    vCash

Exactly! The loons on Lincoln would do everything possible to destroy OU and not only would we not have a football program/athletic program, but OUr University would become a Tech/UTEP/UTSA, etc. It's not worth it. We have everything we need to win in Big 12.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
    Even right now, I don't think KSU is as good as OSU and Baylor in football. The only reason I think they even compete is because Snyder is their coach, and the guy is 75 years old. As soon as he leaves, I expect they'll fall to about ISU's level. He thought it was time to retire when he was 65, so I can't imagine he'll be coaching at a high level at 80.

As far as the Big XII is concerned, I think Baylor is a great asset. When I think of their football program, I can't help but think of Oregon from a few years back. As far as OU is concerned, though, it doesn't help us. Baylor, TCU, and A&M's (SEC!) rise in recruiting is not doing us any favors. There is plenty of talent to go around, though, if we recruit the right way. We just don't want any more competitors (like Houston). While on the topic of recruiting grounds, I'm going to take this moment to annoy everybody again about my dream of adding Miami and FSU to the Big XII. Hopefully TCU and Baylor will convince them that we play at a high enough level that it's worth it to leave the ACC.
    No question that Baylor is a great asset to the conference currently. It would help if they would win a premier bowl game, but they have done a solid job of helping keep the conference up front nationally. So has TCU (although Baylor has done it in other sports too). My point was (and I didn't do a good job of explaining it initially) that adding Houston could very well be another Baylor situation. Baylor was the bottom dweller for a long time. Being part of the Big XII gave them credibility (in sports) that enabled them to recruit better athletes and attract better coaching. They took full advantage of it, and now sit with the big boys of college sports. TCU is doing the same thing (although they were a little more established prior to joining the Big XII).

The Big XII would gain nothing from Houston joining, while Houston would gain everything.

Who knows how things will eventually play out, but personally, I'd like to see us join the PAC. Part of it is selfish reasons (I live in PAC territory), but also because I think the bulk of the Big XII could stay in tact. There's probably more of a likelihood that the ACC and Big XII do some kind of merger though.

vCash

Posted by KantoSooner-
    Quote Originally Posted by tycat947 View Post
    Exactly! The loons on Lincoln would do everything possible to destroy OU and not only would we not have a football program/athletic program, but OUr University would become a Tech/UTEP/UTSA, etc. It's not worth it. We have everything we need to win in Big 12.
    i hope OU isn't as paranoid about going somewhere without LosuR as you two are, but as long as Boren is there, I doubt we would even consider it. We blew it bigtime when we weren't willing to abandon lil bro to go to the Pac conference.