Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member KantoSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Jerry Montgomery Leaving for the NFL

Ah! I see your cognitive issue now: you don't grasp the basics of a three front defense. Here's the deal. The three guys up front "plug and steer" forcing runs outside. Any sacks are designed to come from blitzes.
    This is a gross simplification but captures the essence. Monty's guys did a credible job at their responsibility. Our failure to blitz falls on the guy calling the defense.

We'll be lucky to get a coach any better than JM
    "I don't know karate, but I know ka-razor!" - James Brown

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Tear Down This Wall View Post
    I understand that many of you will feel compelled to defend bad coaching because you cling to seasons far in the past. Thousands of Longhorn fans defended Mack Brown 'til the bitter end as well.
    Certainly not true with Montgomery as he was only here 2 years. Not great seasons and certainly not far in the past.

Not saying Montgomery is a great coach (I don't know), but don't sacks and TFL in general come from the LBs in a 3-4 defense? I don't think we've had great LB play since Lofton. But all details for me; Bob Stoops is responsible for fielding the best team possible with the resources at hand.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Monty was one of the few bright spots (outside of Gundy) that we had in recruiting over the last few years. We need to replace him with somebody who can recruit and coach well. Pretty sure Stoops realizes this as well, though I'm not sure it'll be enough to right the sinking ship.

vCash

Hopefully Brady Hoke is on the radar......
    Hey... maybe T BOONE can pony up and start a Stilleater newspaper... but the players would probably just use it to roll the weed.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
    Rumor has it that Bob actually fired Monty, because he wasn't able to get enough good linemen to run a 4-3.

My source will be here soon to confirm.
    Did he fire him before or after he promoted him to co-DC?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by ddub0224 View Post
    Bob fired him after Monty took the Green Bay job.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Sooner in Tampa's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by KantoSooner View Post
    Ah! I see your cognitive issue now: you don't grasp the basics of a three front defense. Here's the deal. The three guys up front "plug and steer" forcing runs outside. Any sacks are designed to come from blitzes.
    This is a gross simplification but captures the essence. Monty's guys did a credible job at their responsibility. Our failure to blitz falls on the guy calling the defense.

Let us not forget how awful our defensive schemes were against mobile QBs. It was like we were scared $hitless...didn't feel we could pressure the qb...so we just waited for them to run, or throw a nice pass to a wide open WR that had all day to get separation! THE SCHEME SUCKED!!

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Beanbag View Post
    Six stitches is a pretty decent sized gash.
    Quote Originally Posted by OUthunder View Post
    To hell with Nebraska...they are overrated and irrelevant.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member KantoSooner's Avatar
    vCash

you couldn't be more correct. but that does not indict JM or the 3-4 in general. It just means that Mike either didn't trust his personnel or utterly fails to grasp this defense.
    "I don't know karate, but I know ka-razor!" - James Brown

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Tear Down This Wall View Post
    I understand that many of you will feel compelled to defend bad coaching because you cling to seasons far in the past. Thousands of Longhorn fans defended Mack Brown 'til the bitter end as well.
    You keep screaming Mack Brown, and I'll keep screaming Tom Osborne and Barry Switzer.

It's a little awkward, but this could be fun.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by ddub0224 View Post
    It wasn't true. I had a terrible source.

vCash

you couldn't be more correct. but that does not indict JM or the 3-4 in general. It just means that Mike either didn't trust his personnel or utterly fails to grasp this defense.
    My observation is he hasn't got a full grasp of it yet, but really doesn't trust his personnel, and especially the group he was most responsible for--the secondary. 2015 almost has to be better, I think, in terms of personnel groupings and experience, but.... Whether the coach has the self-awareness to learn, I don't know. My guess is no, since his brother (the head coach) decided MS needed a co-coordinator and shuffled the group responsibilities. I fear MS has lost the players in the secondary. He doesn't trust them and they don't trust him.

Administrator
    vCash

I tried to discuss the 3 man front, and how it affected the stats, but apparently he wasn't interested in that. Stats on their own are pretty worthless. One has to understand the how and why the stats are developed. Of course that doesn't always fit one's narrative, so it's conveniently left out.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cvsooner View Post
    My observation is he hasn't got a full grasp of it yet, but really doesn't trust his personnel, and especially the group he was most responsible for--the secondary. 2015 almost has to be better, I think, in terms of personnel groupings and experience, but.... Whether the coach has the self-awareness to learn, I don't know. My guess is no, since his brother (the head coach) decided MS needed a co-coordinator and shuffled the group responsibilities. I fear MS has lost the players in the secondary. He doesn't trust them and they don't trust him.
    I'm right there with you.

It's obvious (to me anyway) that he put too much faith in the front 3 (which was why we saw so many 3 man rushes with backers dropping into coverage). I hope and pray that the trust is there next year, or that enough adjustments are made to balance the defense. I can't handle another year of getting burned consistently in the secondary.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member bluedogok's Avatar
    vCash

Some people expect the Selmon Brothers or the 85 defense to walk through the doors again.....it isn't 1985 and the three yards and a cloud of dust offenses don't dominate football anymore. I don't expect the 85 defense to even happen again, the game has changed. I would just like a defense that could stop some people when they need to, yards are like video game points. They don't really matter, the only thing that does is the points on the scoreboard.

vCash

3 plays go a different way and we are 11-2 ....But I agree we need some tweaking and it looks like its happening.....
    Hey... maybe T BOONE can pony up and start a Stilleater newspaper... but the players would probably just use it to roll the weed.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Breadburner View Post
    3 plays go a different way and we are 11-2 ....But I agree we need some tweaking and it looks like its happening.....
    True but change just 1 play and we are 7-6 this year.Think about it; if we don't get the KO return td or the int return td vs. UT,we lose to the Orange Cows.
    Owen '05-'26 122-54-16 .677 (Foundation)
    Wilkinson '47-'63 145-29-4 .829 (DYNASTY 1) 3 NC
    Switzer '73-'88 157-29-4 .837(DYNASTY 2) 3 NC
    Stoops '99- PRESENT 179-46.793 (DYNASTY 3) 1 NC and still WAITING

At OU tradition is about more than just one coach 861-319-53 .720

Scattergun toting Posse member

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by stoopified View Post
    True but change just 1 play and we are 7-6 this year.Think about it; if we don't get the KO return td or the int return td vs. UT,we lose to the Orange Cows.
    I think we still win. We built up a pretty solid lead before going into safe-mode.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Breadburner View Post
    Yeah, and if those 3 plays go a different way then we are all sitting here trying to rationalize that we got our asses kicked by a team not as bad as Clemson and we're stuck with the same lousy coaches that we fired this offseason because by God we went 11-2 and people have no right to complain.

We didn't go 11-2 because we fielded a terrible team with terrible coaching. We were every bit as bad as the 5 loss team we finished with and probably will be just as bad next year, if not worse, barring some kind of miracle with our offensive personnel.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by EatLeadCommie View Post
    Yeah, and if those 3 plays go a different way then we are all sitting here trying to rationalize that we got our asses kicked by a team not as bad as Clemson and we're stuck with the same lousy coaches that we fired this offseason because by God we went 11-2 and people have no right to complain.

We didn't go 11-2 because we fielded a terrible team with terrible coaching. We were every bit as bad as the 5 loss team we finished with and probably will be just as bad next year, if not worse, barring some kind of miracle with our offensive personnel.
    I don't agree with everything you said, but I do agree that the season resulted in some needed changes, and hopefully a good, long look at what needed to change.

Next year may end up being the most pivotal year since Stoops got to Norman. He made the choice to keep Mike, and he did it because:

a) Things aren't/weren't as far off as we think they are/were, and Bob knows Mike will be able to fix things.

-or-

b) Bob simply couldn't fire his brother.

I want to believe it's option a. I wouldn't have been upset if Mike had been let go after the season, but since he wasn't I can only hope he can correct the mistakes from last year. I've seen some mediocre defenses under Stoops (although it's more the exception than the rule), but the way we were thrashed in the secondary was hard to stomach.

So, I suppose I'm happy that things went the way they did last year, because it's prompted change. Not a bad thing.

vCash

He's fixing what needed to be fixed.....I betting on a TCU type turn around.....