Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Sooner Rookie
    vCash

Re: Jerry Montgomery Leaving for the NFL

Montgomery is going to be tough to replace. He related to the players/recruits in a way no one else could. Congrats to Jerry! Good luck in the NFL!

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Scott D View Post
    more reason to despise the Packers
    AS IF another reason was needed...
    Put a lid on it! Kiss it goodbye. We gave it away, and apparently thought it made sense to do so.

Administrator
    vCash

I heard that while he was coaching at OU, Monty donated a lung. I also heard that he, himself, did all of the "artist renderings" of the new stadium. He was also signed on to do the construction himself. All of this while coaching the diving team and working as a visiting professor at UCO.

He will be missed.

Sooner Starter
    vCash

....not that he wouldn't have left anyway but maybe the Sooners lost an opportunity by not having him as the defensive coordinator instead of just a line coach....one more example of the risks/rewards of nepotism

ss
    "You can trouble me for a warm glass of shut-the-hell-up"

Dusty Dvoracek... I really think would be a risky hire but a great one.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Tear Down This Wall's Avatar
    vCash

Yeah, gosh...how will we replace a DL coach who crafted a line which led a defense ranked 39th in sacks, tied with Maryland and Louisiana-Lafayette, and 53rd in tackles for loss? Maybe Stoops has the phone number of La-La's DL coach.

We can probably pay more than the Ragin Cajuns for the honor of getting a line to 39th in sacks. It should be a snap to get a DL coach who can get the unit to blow 53rd in tackles for loss out of the water. And, we've already got some guys La-La was recruiting from a couple of years ago...Montgomery helped "steal" them...so, they'd already know the coach!
    "General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"
    President Ronald Reagan at the Berlin Wall, June 12, 1987

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Kind of hard to get sacks when the other team's QB has approximately 5 receivers who are all wide open before he completes his dropback.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by graphster View Post
    Kind of hard to get sacks when the other team's QB has approximately 5 receivers who are all wide open before he completes his dropback.
    "Forget it; he's rolling."

SoonerFans.com Elite Member KantoSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Tear Down This Wall View Post
    Yeah, gosh...how will we replace a DL coach who crafted a line which led a defense ranked 39th in sacks, tied with Maryland and Louisiana-Lafayette, and 53rd in tackles for loss? Maybe Stoops has the phone number of La-La's DL coach.

We can probably pay more than the Ragin Cajuns for the honor of getting a line to 39th in sacks. It should be a snap to get a DL coach who can get the unit to blow 53rd in tackles for loss out of the water. And, we've already got some guys La-La was recruiting from a couple of years ago...Montgomery helped "steal" them...so, they'd already know the coach!
    I could point out that he was here two years, which means that he wouldn't have had his own personnel until this fall. I could point out that he was a top ten nationally ranked recruiter. I could point out that he was not calling the defenses. And I could point out that the defensive line was not the problem last year and that an NFL playoff teams thought highly enough of his talents to wave a bag o' money under his nose.

But why? You seem content to sit in a pool of your own excrement, waving your arms around and then bitching that you're living through a **** storm.

It'd be funny if it wasn't so pathetic.
    "I don't know karate, but I know ka-razor!" - James Brown

vCash

Finally! An OU football event that pleases you!

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Sooner in Tampa's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by KantoSooner View Post
    I could point out that he was here two years, which means that he wouldn't have had his own personnel until this fall. I could point out that he was a top ten nationally ranked recruiter. I could point out that he was not calling the defenses. And I could point out that the defensive line was not the problem last year and that an NFL playoff teams thought highly enough of his talents to wave a bag o' money under his nose.

But why? You seem content to sit in a pool of your own excrement, waving your arms around and then bitching that you're living through a **** storm.

The sad thing is...I know TDTW would show up with his 'get off my lawn' attitude...

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Beanbag View Post
    Six stitches is a pretty decent sized gash.
    Quote Originally Posted by OUthunder View Post
    To hell with Nebraska...they are overrated and irrelevant.

Administrator
    vCash

I know you were never a fan, but the guy was a great recruiter. As for his coaching ability, I point you to 2013. Everyone figured the defensive line would be horrible going into that season, it turned out to be the opposite. The lack of more sacks has everything to do with the conference we are in and the fact that Mike Stoops chooses to rush only 3 part of the time. When it comes to production, I'd say ranking 39th in sacks was overachieving for the defense those guys were asked to play. Not to mention the fact that they were the best in the conference at stopping the run.

Coaching is coaching, and it doesn't take a "great" coach to coach great. Recruiting is a different story, and Monty was very good at his job. We'll need to bring someone in that can match his work ethic in that regard.

vCash

"I could point out that he was here two years, which means that he wouldn't have had his own personnel until this fall."

Oh...so, the 2000 National Title was really John Blake's? All the awards Roy Williams piled up should be credited to John Blake? Etc.

Give me a break. As a season ticket holder for 20 years, I see whether or not we compete well. We have not competed better on defense since we got rid of Venables and Jackie Shipp, supposedly the problem of defenses pre-Montgomery/Kish.

It's been a long while since I've seen a defense more lost than the 2014 version, probably since 1996.
    "General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    Finally! An OU football event that pleases you!
    I plus thee one.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Sooner in Tampa's Avatar
    vCash

GET OFF MY LAWN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Beanbag View Post
    Six stitches is a pretty decent sized gash.
    Quote Originally Posted by OUthunder View Post
    To hell with Nebraska...they are overrated and irrelevant.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
    Rumor has it that Bob actually fired Monty, because he wasn't able to get enough good linemen to run a 4-3.

My source will be here soon to confirm.
    TDTW was my source if anybody was wondering. He only semi-confirmed, though.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member KantoSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Y'know, TDTW, I would otherwise be inclined to grant you that break, but, no; since you've decided, for whatever reason, to become the board *********, I decline.
    So,
    1. Bob Stoops won in 2000...with a team made up largely of guys recruited by John Blake. Make of that what you will. I tend to conclude that Bob is a pretty good coach and Blake is a pretty good recruiter.
    2. I suppose since you left the rest of my points alone that you accept them as they stand.

So, I guess I 'win'.

Oh, and owning season tickets gives you nothing but bunions on your butt. That said, I agree whole heartedly that the 2014 Defense looked lost...as a whole. Some units and some players, however, looked pretty good. And of those were the D Line...coached by...Jerry Montgomery.
    "I don't know karate, but I know ka-razor!" - James Brown

vCash

It's been a long while since I've seen a defense more lost than the 2014 version, probably since 1996.
    I have to agree with that statement, although I wouldn't point the finger at the DL. I'm a 50K' type, so I don't try to critique down to the assistant level. Bob's the HC and it's his responsibility to field the best team possible within the resources at hand. If I did drill down further, I would have to point at the DC as the defense as a whole appeared disorganized. Mostly the back 7 (or 8), but I don't know enough about DL assignments to conclude they were not just as poorly prepared as the rest of the D.

vCash

Y'know, TDTW, I would otherwise be inclined to grant you that break, but, no; since you've decided, for whatever reason, to become the board *********, I decline.
    So,
    1. Bob Stoops won in 2000...with a team made up largely of guys recruited by John Blake. Make of that what you will. I tend to conclude that Bob is a pretty good coach and Blake is a pretty good recruiter.
    2. I suppose since you left the rest of my points alone that you accept them as they stand.

So, I guess I 'win'.

Oh, and owning season tickets gives you nothing but bunions on your butt. That said, I agree whole heartedly that the 2014 Defense looked lost...as a whole. Some units and some players, however, looked pretty good. And of those were the D Line...coached by...Jerry Montgomery.
    We ranked 39th in sacks, 53rd in tackles for loss.

Final record: 8-5

D-line was not even close to forcing enough negative plays or disrupting the opposing offenses' schemes last season. Without pressure on opposing QBs via sacks/hurries to disrupt the oppositions' timing, we finished 117th against the pass.

Montgomery gone is good riddance. Please, Bob, hire an adult again to coach the defensive line. Get someone in here again who knows how to create pressure on the opposing offense. Montgomery, the Packers new "Quality Control" guy for defense (have fun preparing the film for the real coaches, Jerry)...what a joke. Get us a defensive line coach, Bob.

vCash

I understand that many of you will feel compelled to defend bad coaching because you cling to seasons far in the past. Thousands of Longhorn fans defended Mack Brown 'til the bitter end as well.