SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Reassignment of staff duties

CAUGHT THE TAIL END OF A BLURB ON LATE NEWS ABOUT CHANGES IN STAFF ASSIGNMENTS CcHECKED AROUND AND it is OFFICIAL.ACCORDING TO THE OFFICIAL OU WEBSITE Gundy NOW COACHES INSIDE RECIEVER ,BOULWARE RUNNINGBACKS AND FULLBACKS AS WELL AS SPECIAL TEAMS.SIMMONS WILL COACH OUTSIDE RECIEVERS AND MIKE WILL COACH OUTSIDE LBS,COOKS WILL COACH SECONDARY,KISH INSIDE LINEBACKERS.RB CHANGE PUZZLES ME.MAYBE BOB THINKS CALE DID SUCH A GOOD JOB WITH OUR RBS AS RECIEVERS THAT HE CAN HANDLE RECIEVERS FULLTIME ,BUT BOULWARE COACHING RBS? GUESS WE WILL SEE WHAT HAPPENS.
    Owen '05-'26 122-54-16 .677 (Foundation)
    Wilkinson '47-'63 145-29-4 .829 (DYNASTY 1) 3 NC
    Switzer '73-'88 157-29-4 .837(DYNASTY 2) 3 NC
    Stoops '99- PRESENT 179-46.793 (DYNASTY 3) 1 NC and still WAITING

At OU tradition is about more than just one coach 861-319-53 .720

Scattergun toting Posse member

SoonerFans.com Elite Member swardboy's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Reassignment of staff duties

Oklahoma Sooners Football / Bob Stoops Announces New Coaches and New Coaching Roles

By DHazlewood on Feb 9, 2015, 7:53p
    David Manning-USA TODAY Sports

In a move that has been a long time coming, the Oklahoma Sooners have announced their coaching staff changes for the next season. Before we break it down, here are the new coaches and the changes that are taking place.
    #Sooners offensive staff OC/QBs: Lincoln Riley RB/FB: Jay Boulware Inside WR: Cale Gundy Outside WR: Dennis Simmons OL: Bill Bedenbaugh
    6:55 PM - 9 Feb 2015

#Sooners defensive staff CoDC/OLB: Mike Stoops: CoDC/DL: Jerry Montgomery ILB: Tim Kish DB: Kerry Cooks
    6:56 PM - 9 Feb 2015

Before we tackle some of the questions, it's interesting to note that only Bill Bedenbaugh has the same title and responsibilities from last year.
    Here's is our analysis regarding the moves

POSITIVES
    1. Jerry Montgomery is rewarded for his abilities. Becoming a Co-DC not only is a promotion but a nice pay increase.
    2. Kerry Cooks by all accounts is a significant upgrade with the defensive backs
    3. Having two linebacker coaches (ILB and OLB) is the way to go for teams that play the 3-4. The positions are so different that most successful teams have 2 coaches for these positions.

NEGATIVES
    1. I'm not sure what to make of the move from RB to Inside WR's by Cale Gundy. He has the distinct ability to say that he has coached both Adrian Peterson, Demarco Murray, and now Samaje Perine. Now he is the Inside WR coach.
    2. By not designating a coach specifically for TEs (this will fall under Inside WR's) it would appear that the Sooners are moving further from a power run offense and into more of a spread. While this was assumed, today's announcement all but confirms it. This might not be a negative, but it seemingly minimizes the TE position.
    4. There is a certain coach that is still coaching on the defensive side of the ball.

UNKNOWNS
    1. Why on earth did it take the Sooners this long to announce the hires?
    2. Nothing against Jay Boulware, but it's interesting to see him moved to a position that had arguably one of the best recruiters and position coaches in the nation coaching it. I believe Boulware will be fine, but he has big shoes to fill.
    3. This should help linebacker recruiting improve (not sure it could be any worse)
    4. . Is this staff arrangement really an upgrade over last years staff? In some ways I believe that it is. In other ways, I feel it leaves more questions than answers. For Bob Stoops sake it better bring the right answers.

Last edited by swardboy; 2/10/2015 at 07:27 AM.
    "I'm going to request that you stop posting in this thread." - circa 2008
    "Why does there have to be so much immature stuff on here?" - circa 2010

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

I like them all.......Cant wait for next season......
    Hey... maybe T BOONE can pony up and start a Stilleater newspaper... but the players would probably just use it to roll the weed.

vCash

It's being reported that Gundy requested this move to put him on track for promotion to OC and HBC. I think from the parochial OU perspective it's a letdown, but given how much Gundy has given this program in recruiting, RB production, and selfless stability, I don't see how BS could have done anything else. Maybe his perspective as a RB coach will guide him in how he coaches and values the TEs.

vCash

The bedwetting on Gundy is hilarious to watch.......
    Hey... maybe T BOONE can pony up and start a Stilleater newspaper... but the players would probably just use it to roll the weed.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member swardboy's Avatar
    vCash

I too figured that Gundy wanted a more rounded coaching background. And what a great stable of backs he's handing off to Boulware! That probably makes this a good time for the change.
    "I'm going to request that you stop posting in this thread." - circa 2008
    "Why does there have to be so much immature stuff on here?" - circa 2010

vCash

Running backs to me are born..... Good ones don't take that much coaching.......These are good moves.....

vCash

Spring game and first three reg season games will tell us how good the moves are...

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Breadburner View Post
    The bedwetting on Gundy is hilarious to watch.......
    Yep (on LT). People demand change and then whine and moan when they get it. Firing everyone is not the only way to make changes. If the only tool in the toolbox is a hammer, then I guess every problem looks like a nail.

vCash

They act like they know whats going on behind the door...And what coaches want and dont want.....High drama.....!!!!

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 ouduckhunter's Avatar
    North Carolina via Oreygon, Texas, and the great state of Oklahoma
    vCash

I was thinking the same thing about Gundy probably wanting to gain more experience in different capacities which pumps up his resume. Give him what he wants, and hopefully we hang on to him for another few years. Also, Gundy may have his eye on the ultimate prize to take over when Bob retires. If that's the case, he is going to do a great job in his new position, and we hope that Boulware can handle things.
    From the home of Seymour Johnson Air Force Base...

vCash