Thread: Coach Kish

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Coach Kish

Seen it floated on the boards...is there any substance to the rumors of his head being on the chopping block? I thought his incoming class of linebackers look pretty solid. Of course, they haven't played a down yet. Thanks.
    SEC football is like incest, you all screw each other for a few weeks, play some FCS teams and then declare yourselves champions of the universe. Is it any wonder the BCS was created by an SEC guy? -LASooner

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

Re: Coach Kish

I thought his incoming class of linebackers look pretty solid
    Our class of one? I get that Arthur McGinnis is a beast but unless I'm missing something we signed one and only one... but yes it was a very good one.

The rumors are very plausible, outlined here by Bob Stoops press conference favorite John E Hoover:
    http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextr...8515dcbad.html

Quote Originally Posted by from that article
    There’s actually very recent precedent in regard to a Sooners coach under fire going into National Signing Day and being left off the assistant coach TV interviews and then not keeping his job.
    Guess which OU assistant coach wasn't in TV interviews after signing day.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

TFB speculating today that Kish will stay for the '15 season. DeBerry is also considered an LB along with McGinnis, I believe.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 TheUnnamedSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    Our class of one? I get that Arthur McGinnis is a beast but unless I'm missing something we signed one and only one... but yes it was a very good one.
    According to 8time's page on the recruiting board, we also signed this LB. Although, from what I understand, Kish didn't have much to do with recruiting him:

Ricky DeBerry
    6'2" 240 lbs
    Outside Linebacker
    Mechanicsville, VA
    Atlee High School
    COMMITTED: 12/19/2014
    Scout: 5 star
    Rivals: 4 star
    ESPN:4 star

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    TFB speculating today that Kish will stay for the '15 season. DeBerry is also considered an LB along with McGinnis, I believe.
    Deberry is often projected at LB, but he was recruited by Monty. My guess is that that he's one of those guys that could be a 4-3 DE or a 3-4 OLB, and since we run a 3-4 for now...

Having watched film on McGinnis and DeBerry, I have a feeling that they're much more likely to both end up as down linemen than both end up as linebackers.

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

my bad; he was listed as something else when i checked SS.com earlier... defensive end or athlete or something else don't recall what

vCash

my bad; he was listed as something else when i checked SS.com earlier... defensive end or athlete or something else don't recall what
    DeBerry is listed at DE on ESPN.

vCash

Phfab photo in your avatar. I would love to have heard the conversation between Sherri and the ref.
    Put a lid on it! Kiss it goodbye. We gave it away, and apparently thought it made sense to do so.

vCash

DeBerry is listed as OLB on the OU rivals page and was talked about as a LB on the recruiting threads on other boards. Regardless, all the talk of Kish leaving seems to be wishful thinking by Kish haters more than any real news.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone! View Post
    Phfab photo in your avatar. I would love to have heard the conversation between Sherri and the ref.
    "Wanna see my fish imitation? My hands are moving like gills. BTW, why do you suck at ref'ing? "

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 aurorasooner's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerOX View Post
    Seen it floated on the boards...is there any substance to the rumors of his head being on the chopping block? I thought his incoming class of linebackers look pretty solid. Of course, they haven't played a down yet. Thanks.
    Hopefully our D won't end up like Texass when Mack fired (no D) iaz just several games into the season, right after they played BYU which put up just a ridiculous amount of rushing yardage against the whorn D. Of course our offense couldn't do squat against that same D minus iaz, and they scalded us which probably should be right up there with the USC/in Miami, KSU/ in KC, and the Clemson and Baylor fiascoes of last year as far as another team kicking our D's butt. Probably even worse considering it was Texass, we were favored by just an obscene amount, it was Mack's swan song, and Derp was their QB.

In any event, I didn't think two was a ""class outside of some 8 man high school football towns in the Okla panhandle or SW Kansas. Didn't we have something like more than twenty LB offers on the table and ended up getting two? Hopefully the guy can coach better than he can recruit, but after last year I'm not sure any of the remaining Arizona friends and family coaches can coach em up much better than they can evaluate recruits and close the deal.

About the only hope I have next year for our D is that our new secondary coach will coach our DBs up to make plays in front of the ball and get a substantial number of TOs and our offense under LR will turn it around and we'll beat some of the quality teams we play about the same as we did in that track meet against W Va in Morgantown when L. Jones was our QB.

Administrator
    vCash

DeBerry will play OLB at OU. He was listed as a DE by some of the recruiting services. He played more of a DE role in high school.

This class finished with 2 linebackers: DeBerry and McGinnis

Kish was in on the McGinnis recruiting, but didn't have much to do with DeBerry.

The biggest question surrounding Sooner football right now seems to be Kish's status. From everything I've heard/read, it sounds like he'll still be on staff for the upcoming season. I've been a big proponent of letting him go, but I'm really hoping (if he does stay) that he picks up his recruiting game.

On a positive note, a 2016 LB recruit (the best in the region) Dontavious Jackson (4 star out of Houston) has been in communication with Kish. One of the big knocks on him (Kish) last year was that he rarely communicated with recruits (that was based on never hearing his name mentioned by recruits). So, the fact that he's already talking to one of the biggest targets for next year is at least a good sign.

vCash

I ran in to DeBerry's father here in Richmond (Mechanicsville is part of Richmond metro). He was wearing an OU hat here in Virginia which isn't common and was excited about his son being recruited by OU because the coaches told him he fits an Eric Striker type of position where he will be used both on the line and as a linebacker because of his strength and speed.