Administrator
    vCash

Couple of interesting (national) stories from National Signing Day 2015

Many people (that don't follow recruiting closely) don't realize that National Signing Day is only the first day a high school recruit can sign with a school. In actuality, recruits have two months (well into April) before their letter of intent must be submitted to their respective school. Typically, this doesn't really affect anyone at the D1 level, but on occassion a high profile recruit will decide to hold out. That always makes for an interesting story.

This year, there's a couple of interesting stories and they surround two friends (that happen to be elite players):

1. Roquan Smith (OLB, Montezuma, GA) - For the last few weeks, Smith had narrowed his choices down to two schools; Georgia and UCLA. He had announced weeks ago that he would make his decision on live TV on National Signing Day. As promised, Smith showed up to a crowded gymnasium at his high school to make the big announcement. When the time came, and the ESPN studio guys had him on live TV, he reached into a bag and pulled out a pair of UCLA gloves. The crowd cheered, the ESPN guys announced "UCLA picked up another elite player" and camera flashes began. Smith was committed to UCLA. Or, he wasn't.

Shortly after his announcement, a reporter for Rivals interviewed Smith about his decision. The first thing Smith said was "when I got here today I was 55%/45% leaning toward Georgia". But, he picked UCLA. Obviously something was amiss. As the day moved on, and Smith's letter never showed up at UCLA, it became apparent that he wasn't committed at all. Apparently, the UCLA defensive coordinator is rumored to be moving to the NFL (as a Falcons assistant) and that has a big impact on Smith. So, now it's a waiting game.

Shortly before the announcement, Smith was on the phone with his friend CeCe Jefferson. Jefferson, a Florida commit, was trying to get Smith to play with him in Gainsville. Some think that's why Smith wavered. However, Smith's high school coach has said that Smith's recruitment is "open" and he is considering a few schools (Texas A&M, Michigan, Georgia and UCLA). The whole thing is interesting to say that least. You can follow the story here.

2. CeCe Jefferson (DE, Glen Saint Mary, FL) - Like Smith, Jefferson had the big announcement complete with the TV coverage, and like Smith Jefferson has yet to send his letter of intent to anyone. It's interesting that Jefferson talked to Smith on NSD, but that seems to be the only connection as Jefferson is debating between Alabama, Auburn, Florida and Ole Miss. There's no other connection to Smith, but it is interesting that two of this year's highest profile players decided to commit on live TV only to waiver in their decision.

The lesson to be learned here is that a recruit shouldn't announce on live TV unless they are 100% sure of their choice. In this day and age, I'm sure they are pressured by everyone to make a decision, but an 18 year old kid shouldn't be forced to choose because someone else wants them to, that's not a good start for anyone.

Finally, there's the case of former OU commit DuVante Lampkin. Lampkin was one of the first Sooner commits for the 2015 class, but as time passed Lampkin got more interest and eventually decommitted. It seemed that OU was completely out of the hunt until about a month ago, when Lampkin took an unofficial visit to OU. Rumor was that Lampkin was rethinking his Texas commit and was really close with Montgomery. In the end, he signed with Texas (and OU did fine at the position anyway).

So, things seemed to work out for everyone. Until they didn't. The biggest reason Lampkin stuck with Texas was DL coach Chris Rumph. There was word that Rumph was going to be offered the same position for the Miami Dolphins, and Lampkin wanted to know what the future would look like if he were to go to Austin. So, he asked...and was told that Rumph was turning down the offer to stay at Texas. It turns out that Rumph accepted the offer and is off to Miami. Needless to say, Lampkin was upset (see Tweets below).

In the end, Lampkin is stuck at Texas. He says he's going to make the best of it and "ball out" anyway. But, I can't help but feel a little sorry for the kid. That's about as low as it gets in recruiting. Obviously, they knew Rumph was leaving, and they knew they would lose Lampkin if they told the truth. So, they lied. Stay classy Texas.

Call Me Deebs‼️ @DeeChilllin · 6h6 hours ago

Really? 2 days after signing day?

Call Me Deebs‼️ @DeeChilllin · 6h6 hours ago

Guess i was lied to in my face

0 replies156 retweets151 favorites Reply
    Retweet156
    Favorite151
    More

0 replies121 retweets127 favorites Reply
    Retweet121
    Favorite127
    More

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Re: Couple of interesting (national) stories from National Signing Day 2015

There's a more important lesson to be learned here: never trust texas.

Equally important: if you have the chance, stick with Oklahoma.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerMarkVA View Post
    There's a more important lesson to be learned here: never trust texas.

Equally important: if you have the chance, stick with Oklahoma.
    Yeah, that's really THE most important story here. NEVER trust texas.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

What if Lampkin would have waited like Smith and Jefferson, and simply not sent the LOI for a week or so?

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by LesNessman View Post
    What if Lampkin would have waited like Smith and Jefferson, and simply not sent the LOI for a week or so?
    That's what he should have done.

As crazy (and sad) as it may sound, many high school players aren't aware that National Signing Day is only the first day you can submit your letter of intent. As I mentioned above, players have two months to submit their LOI, but nowadays so many want to have a big ceremony and get the publicity. I don't blame them for that, but it also leads to a lot of pressure and sometimes bad decisions.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

I imagine there is some amount of pressure or coercion from the coaches saying the offer/scholarship/spot will go to someone else if they don't sign as quickly as possible. I would also think the high value recruits have more leverage against that sort of thing.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by LesNessman View Post
    I imagine there is some amount of pressure or coercion from the coaches saying the offer/scholarship/spot will go to someone else if they don't sign as quickly as possible. I would also think the high value recruits have more leverage against that sort of thing.
    No question the higher profile guys have leverage. Adrian Peterson was a great example of that, Stoops has said many times that he would have held AD's scholarship for as long as it took. The problem with the way recruiting has gotten now is that many of the recruits that aren't high profile think they are (I imagine it comes from everyone around them telling them that) and they end up thinking they have the same kind of leverage...and they don't.

Recruiting is a dirty business. There are so many gray areas that coaches can take advantage of, with very little in place to protect the recruits. Lampkin's deal is indicative of that kind of thing.

It's pretty well known within recruiting circles that Stoops is a low pressure recruiter. He's not the kind of coach to press a kid to commit when he's not ready (and his staff, by extension, are the same way). In a few rare occasions that may have cost a recruit, but overall I think it's more respected and appreciated.