Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member jkm, the stolen pifwafwi's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Super Bowl ends in Super Blow It call

I had flashbacks to 2003.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Tear Down This Wall's Avatar
    vCash

Is it too late to undo the Lincoln Riley hire and hire Darrell Bevell instead? He seems to fit nicely into the offensive coordinators who don't understand the run game category that Stoops loves.

Bevell seems to understand as little about Marshawn Lynch as our coaches do Samarje Perine. He'd fit in great. Plus, he's accustomed to coaching quarterbacks who can't throw worth a sh*t, but who are "athletic" and will run around sometimes. Stoops has a whole roster full of that for him already, so he wouldn't even have to recruit!
    Last edited by Tear Down This Wall; 2/2/2015 at 12:13 PM.
    "General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"
    President Ronald Reagan at the Berlin Wall, June 12, 1987

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerStormchaser View Post
    I don't get the hatred thrown at the Pats...it's like Bill is the ONLY coach in the NFL who cheats? Seriously, the teams deflate balls all the time...there have been retired QB's coming out the past two weeks and freely admitting it. Why is this an issue?

That said...waking up this morning and seeing that Petey lost due to coaching ineptitude left a huge smile on my face. Couldn't have happened to a bigger POS college cheater...except Jim Tressel.
    Everyone hates teams that win a lot except for their own fans. You'll know OU is really in trouble when our team is not universally hated.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Here's what I understand: three downs and one timeout and 21 seconds on the clock. If you run it into a defense that is eight big guys and three DBs and don't score, go for no gain or a loss, you run out of timeouts and you're forced, more or less to throw it on third down. You're actually in a better place to throw it on second down, knowing that of all possible outcomes, only one is a killer, and that was made by a DB who simply made a great play. Same thing could have happened if Lynch fumbles.

I really don't have a problem with the strategy. It didn't work out this time, but in a similar situation I might have done the same thing.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member jkm, the stolen pifwafwi's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cvsooner View Post
    Here's what I understand: three downs and one timeout and 21 seconds on the clock. If you run it into a defense that is eight big guys and three DBs and don't score, go for no gain or a loss, you run out of timeouts and you're forced, more or less to throw it on third down. You're actually in a better place to throw it on second down, knowing that of all possible outcomes, only one is a killer, and that was made by a DB who simply made a great play. Same thing could have happened if Lynch fumbles.

I really don't have a problem with the strategy. It didn't work out this time, but in a similar situation I might have done the same thing.
    The problem wasn't so much the strategy but the call. You have a 5'10 QB throwing in the middle in a situation where you could have given him a zone read with a run pass option on the edge. Dallas runs that play a lot with Romo and the key is getting the ball near the ground to prevent the pick or the ball bouncing into the air on a miss.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by jkm, the stolen pifwafwi View Post
    The problem wasn't so much the strategy but the call. You have a 5'10 QB throwing in the middle in a situation where you could have given him a zone read with a run pass option on the edge. Dallas runs that play a lot with Romo and the key is getting the ball near the ground to prevent the pick or the ball bouncing into the air on a miss.
    That's what I was thinking. The Pats had problems containing Wilson on the edge all game and that would be especially true with the D stacked against a Lynch run. Wilson could safely throw to a wide open guy, walk it in himself or throw it away if the Pats have it covered.

Regardless of the play call, that was still a great play by the DB. If he is even 50 milliseconds late, that's a TD. And he had to catch the ball while making pretty hard contact with the receiver simultaneously. If he just defends the play, the 'hawks still have 2 plays and a TO to win the game. Pretty impressive for an undrafted rookie in the final seconds of the SB.

vCash

I really have never understood, even with a QB who isn't the most mobile, while more run-pass options aren't called inside the three or two yard line. JKM is spot on here; the strategy is sound but throwing it into the middle, even with a QB like Wilson who has shown an ability to thrive in adversity, wasn't the smart move.

vCash

Funny considering so many thought our run calls against Florida were horrible.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by jkjsooner View Post
    Funny considering so many thought our run calls against Florida were horrible.
    Different situation. We were not a power running team especially w/o DM, and Bradford was not a mobile QB. Our biggest weapons were Bradfords arm and the matchup problem created by Gresham.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Jacie's Avatar
    vCash

What made the outcome go from funny to hysterical was the offsides on the next play when Brady did not have enough room to just take a knee but would have had to push forward to avoid the safety, then the free-for-all that resulted in a 15-yarder on the defense plus an ejection.

The real fallout begins with the finger pointing, since this one could have gone either way the Seahawks know it was a screw up that prevented them from hoisting the Lombardi Trophy. Someone is going to be working elsewhere as a result of this one.
    Last edited by Jacie; 2/2/2015 at 03:19 PM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Jacie View Post
    What made the outcome go from funny to hysterical was the offsides on the next play when Brady did not have enough room to just take a knee but would have had to push forward to avoid the safety, then the free-for-all that resulted in a 15-yarder on the defense plus an ejection.

The real fallout begins with the finger pointing, since this one could have gone either way the Seahawks know it was a screw up that prevented them from hoisting the Lombardi Trophy. Someone is going to be working elsewhere as a result of this one.
    My guess is Bennett, because of repeated neutral zone infractions all
    season long and Irvin because of the 15 yarder. He!!, Jimmy Johnson
    used to cut kickers for missing field goals. Now, as someone earlier
    said, "Peter the Cheater" got his come uppance, imo.

vCash

I don't get the hatred thrown at the Pats...it's like Bill is the ONLY coach in the NFL who cheats? Seriously, the teams deflate balls all the time...there have been retired QB's coming out the past two weeks and freely admitting it. Why is this an issue?

That said...waking up this morning and seeing that Petey lost due to coaching ineptitude left a huge smile on my face. Couldn't have happened to a bigger POS college cheater...except Jim Tressel.
    I hate the Patriots because their Spygate cheating cost my Rams a Super Bowl. I'll try to restrain my ranting, but if you want to know what I'm talking about, I'm sure you can google what Marshall Faulk had to say about it. He still hasn't gotten over it, either.

The only other teams I hate are Seattle and San Fran. Those two are division rivals. I have no dislike of other teams that are consistently successful like the Ravens, Steelers, Packers, etc.

Well...Badj is probably lurking, so I'm just going to go ahead and say that the reason I don't hate the Packers is because the last time we played them in the playoffs we beat them by like a bajillion.

vCash

The blame is solely on Carroll. Head coach, he knew the playcall and let it fly. He's the one managing the game, especially at that point of the season.

And that's the one truly enjoyable thing about it.

Pete Carroll, will always be remembered for probably the single dumbest playcall in NFL Super Bowl history, and that makes me smile.

Administrator
    vCash

People hate consistent winners (unless it's YOUR team that's winning). Look at the Yankees, the Lakers (of the past) and Alabama. It's just how the groupthink works.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member KantoSooner's Avatar
    vCash

While that may be so, it does not speak to the notion that Pete Carroll is a butt hole of the first order.

Which he is.
    "I don't know karate, but I know ka-razor!" - James Brown

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by jkm, the stolen pifwafwi View Post
    Exactly. I would have been less surprised if they would have at least run a play action pass. If you go back to NE two previous pass attempts near the goal line (on their previous TD drives), they ran (what I consider) a great play call. The inside slant fake, with a move back toward the boundary. There isn't a player in the league that can defend that route one on one, for short yardage. Hell, I would have been okay if they tried a fade. Anything but throwing into a heavily crowded interior without even so much as a fake to Lynch.

Just a terrible call.

I still think the right call there is a run with Lynch. If he's stopped, you still have a timeout and can pass the next two downs. After the run Lynch had to set up that play, I'd take my chances that he's going to get it in (or even closer to the goal line). Just seems nuts to call that play in that situation.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by KantoSooner View Post
    While that may be so, it does not speak to the notion that Pete Carroll is a butt hole of the first order.

Which he is.
    Yes, he is. So, even though I wanted to see David King get a ring, it was nice watching Carroll lose.

Sooner Starter
    vCash

For all you Caroll haters (from the latimes):

"If the Seahawks had won, Carroll would have been the only coach in history to win two Super Bowl and two college football Associated Press national championship. Instead, he will be forever known as the only guy to give two titles away."

The 2nd one being in the Rose Bowl against TU.

vCash

A couple of interesting stats from an ESPN segment.

Seattle ran Lynch 5 times from the 1 this season and he only scored on 1 of them.
    There were 109 passing plays from 1 in the NFL this season and that play in the super bowl was the only one intercepted.

Again, I agree with jkm that it wasn't the fact they passed that made it questionable, but the play that was called. I'm sure most of those 108 other plays were not into the middle with all that traffic, but still shows that was one heck of a defensive play.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    A couple of interesting stats from an ESPN segment.

Seattle ran Lynch 5 times from the 1 this season and he only scored on 1 of them.
    There were 109 passing plays from 1 in the NFL this season and that play in the super bowl was the only one intercepted.

Again, I agree with jkm that it wasn't the fact they passed that made it questionable, but the play that was called. I'm sure most of those 108 other plays were not into the middle with all that traffic, but still shows that was one heck of a defensive play.
    Just as an aside, see post #16 in this thread...