New secondary coach - Kerry Cooks (Notre Dame)

Played at Iowa (of course) in the late 90s. Originally from Dallas. Good recruiter there.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Re: New secondary coach - Kerry Cooks (Notre Dame)

At least he played there in the late 1990s and not in the 1890s like BJW.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

GA at K-State and played at Iowa. Too many ties to Bob for my liking. But...

...Notre Dame was 87th against the pass, so this is clearly an upgrade!

I'm just kidding. I know that was a down year. In 2013 they were 15th, and 25th in 2012. I don't know enough about him to say he's a great hire, but he seems solid.

vCash

Interesting thing to note...Cooks was co-DC at ND in addition to being DB coach, so he's likely giving up his co-DC title to come to OU. I think that says a lot about how highly coaches regard positions at Oklahoma. It's pretty impressive we can steal a guy from a program like ND without even having to offer an equal position.

Quote Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
    Interesting thing to note...Cooks was co-DC at ND in addition to being DB coach, so he's likely giving up his co-DC title to come to OU. I think that says a lot about how highly coaches regard positions at Oklahoma. It's pretty impressive we can steal a guy from a program like ND without even having to offer an equal position.
    Or maybe he was being pushed out the door for incompetence.

This is beginning to feel like te willie Martinez sequel.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHumanAlphabet View Post
    Boren has become a PC babbling idiot and a megalomaniac leader. All he wants is a place in history and memories like Cross. After what he did to The Pride, I will not support him or donate to the University until he leaves.
    Posted from iOS app

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by manateepower View Post
    Or maybe he was being pushed out the door for incompetence.

This is beginning to feel like te willie Martinez sequel.
    If you want to be super-negative just for the sake of being super-negative.

I took a brief tour of ND message boards, and it seems like most of them feel like they just lost their best assistant, and best recruiter.

I may have misspoken about the demotion. It looks like he was at one time the co-DC, but may not have been when he left. He also may have only been the DB coach, but I'm not sure about that, either.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
    GA at K-State and played at Iowa. Too many ties to Bob for my liking. But...

...Notre Dame was 87th against the pass, so this is clearly an upgrade!

I'm just kidding. I know that was a down year. In 2013 they were 15th, and 25th in 2012. I don't know enough about him to say he's a great hire, but he seems solid.
    The only real tie to Stoops is they both played for the same school, however, their paths didn't cross and Cook was a GA at Kansas State after Bob was already at OU.

I love the hire. He has NFL experience (albeit not as a legendary player, but he played long enough to be able to relate what it takes to his players), he's a well regarded recruiter, and appears capable of coaching the positions he's responsible for, and he isn't too old to remember what it's like at the collegiate level. The ND secondary may not have been lights out last year, but they were better than ours, and the previous years he was there, they were much better than they were last year. His first year as Co-DC was 2012, the year they played for the title.

It's also a bonus that he's black. I don't care anything about the diversity thing, but it's not far fetched to say that black coaches tend to relate better with black players, or at least a lot of the time.

I don't see any negatives with this hiring.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 8timechamps View Post
    The only real tie to Stoops is they both played for the same school, however, their paths didn't cross and Cook was a GA at Kansas State after Bob was already at OU.

I love the hire. He has NFL experience (albeit not as a legendary player, but he played long enough to be able to relate what it takes to his players), he's a well regarded recruiter, and appears capable of coaching the positions he's responsible for, and he isn't too old to remember what it's like at the collegiate level. The ND secondary may not have been lights out last year, but they were better than ours, and the previous years he was there, they were much better than they were last year. His first year as Co-DC was 2012, the year they played for the title.

It's also a bonus that he's black. I don't care anything about the diversity thing, but it's not far fetched to say that black coaches tend to relate better with black players, or at least a lot of the time.

All other things being equal this is in fact a real bonus!
    Behold the pale horse. The man who sat on him was death, and Hell followed with him.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

Winner of the Nobel Peace Prize 2015.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 8timechamps View Post

I was just being sarcastic. Some people on here criticized the hiring of Riley, because he had OU ties somehow (Leach coached here over 15 years ago for one year, and Riley coached with Leach for a short time period), so I figured I'd make some ridiculous ties. In all honesty, you can tie just about any coach in college football to Bob in some obscure, meaningless way. Little did I know that people on LT would actually jump on this "connection."

As for the ND secondary being bad last year, I was being sarcastic again. They were very good in his two previous years. Similarly, Mike's pass defense had been very good until this down year, and people act like we've had bad secondaries for a decade.

It seems like a good hire, and I'm all for hiring hardworking, intelligent black coaches. Monty, Viney, and Cooks should do us right on the defensive side of recruiting.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member swardboy's Avatar
    vCash

Working at KSU means he must have been given high marks by old man Snyder. Believe me, I'd listen VERY closely to old man Snyder, know what I mean?. !!
    "I'm going to request that you stop posting in this thread." - circa 2008
    "Why does there have to be so much immature stuff on here?" - circa 2010

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Tear Down This Wall's Avatar
    vCash

When this thing comes crashing fully down, Mack Brown-style, in a couple of years, who has the short list:

(a) the AD only - only Stoops is fired.
    (b) the president only - Castiglione and Stoops are fired.
    (c) the Board of Regents - we follow Texas and get rid of the coach, athletic director, and president all at once.
    "General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"
    President Ronald Reagan at the Berlin Wall, June 12, 1987

vCash

(d) the sky really falls

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Tear Down This Wall View Post
    When this thing comes crashing fully down, Mack Brown-style, in a couple of years, who has the short list:

(a) the AD only - only Stoops is fired.
    (b) the president only - Castiglione and Stoops are fired.
    (c) the Board of Regents - we follow Texas and get rid of the coach, athletic director, and president all at once.
    Boy, aren't you just a ray of sunshine on a Monday morning?

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Sooner in Tampa's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cvsooner View Post
    Boy, aren't you just a ray of sunshine on a Monday morning?
    This is typical TDTW...nothing new here. He is just a grumpy azz old man that hates puppies, kittens, kids, and anything positive!!

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Beanbag View Post
    Six stitches is a pretty decent sized gash.
    Quote Originally Posted by OUthunder View Post
    To hell with Nebraska...they are overrated and irrelevant.