Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Administrator
    vCash

Re: Deflategate - aka the importance of regular and thorough ball palpitation

I'm certainly not saying that the Patriots had to cheat to beat Indy, because that's obviously nonsense. They could have beaten the Colts while using a nerf ball. The issue is the pattern emerging from New England. If there were never any other accusations of cheating, this would probably have gone away within a day. Since this is at least the second time something has been discovered, it does become a story.

Cheating is cheating.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

I don't think it was the difference maker in that game. In fact, I haven't heard anybody saying that. But if you look at the statistics presented in that article, something certainly has made a huge difference over the course of the past 5 years for the patriots. With a 0.0000616 chance that we are looking at sheer coincidence, something has to explain the deviation in their numbers compared with every other NFL team in every other 5 year period in the league's history. That these deflated balls are used by the Patriots on a regular basis certainly seems plausible.
    The enduring image of Oklahoma was that ridiculous double–middle finger of a game-icing kick. It was probably an accident, which somehow made it more, not less, insulting. It was as though Stoops had partied so hard on the corpse of the SEC that he woke up with an unplanned tattoo.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

I guess this issue is supposed to make domestic violence to disappear because how much air is in the football is much more important. What a smoke screen to all of the other things happening in the sport...drugs, dirty play, etc.

vCash

"Cheating is cheating regardless of the outcome of the game"...Hmmm A flair for stating the obvious. If you have any proof, please forward it to the NFL Commissioner's Office immediately. Until something of fact shows itself (And I'm hoping that it does, incidentally) this issue can only be used in the mass media as fodder or as the end product of it.

Boomer

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Pride1Mom View Post
    I guess this issue is supposed to make domestic violence to disappear because how much air is in the football is much more important. What a smoke screen to all of the other things happening in the sport...drugs, dirty play, etc.
    Get back in the Kitchen! Men are talking.
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

If God wanted Men to look women in the eyes, He wouldnt have gave em Boobs !

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by vtsooner21 View Post
    "Cheating is cheating regardless of the outcome of the game"...Hmmm A flair for stating the obvious...
    Boomer
    One would certainly think so, but a large percentage of postings (including yours) preface the implication of cheating with the fact that it didn't change the outcome of this game. That red herring is so broadly stated, that the obvious doesn't appear to be so obvious.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    One would certainly think so, but a large percentage of postings (including yours) preface the implication of cheating with the fact that it didn't change the outcome of this game. That red herring is so broadly stated, that the obvious doesn't appear to be so obvious.
    I have no clue if it changed the outcome or not, NOR DO I CARE.
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

vCash

It didnt change the outcome of this game but the rate of how many plays they run and how much they fumble (at home) is very interesting.......
    Hey... maybe T BOONE can pony up and start a Stilleater newspaper... but the players would probably just use it to roll the weed.

vCash

The issue is the integrity of the sport, not this particular game. My guess is that the outcome will be similar to spygate - a decent size fine and probably forfeiting a draft pick for NE. Another rational outcome would be to tighten up the game ball handling procedures and perhaps spelling out the penalties for a violation like this. I've seen the 12.5-13.5PSI compliance limits published everywhere, but not one mention of penalties for being out of compliance. That makes no sense - if there is no penalty, then there really isn't a rule.

As far as being any proof of wrongdoing - there doesn't need to be any. The league gives teams plenty of leeway on "doctoring" the balls the week before a game with the requirement that the balls meet standards on game day. If the balls are not in compliance, the team should be penalized whether the cause was tampering or negligence. The actual air pressure in the footballs is all the proof that is needed.

vCash

The issue is the integrity of the sport, not this particular game. My guess is that the outcome will be similar to spygate - a decent size fine and probably forfeiting a draft pick for NE. Another rational outcome would be to tighten up the game ball handling procedures and perhaps spelling out the penalties for a violation like this. I've seen the 12.5-13.5PSI compliance limits published everywhere, but not one mention of penalties for being out of compliance. That makes no sense - if there is no penalty, then there really isn't a rule.

As far as being any proof of wrongdoing - there doesn't need to be any. The league gives teams plenty of leeway on "doctoring" the balls the week before a game with the requirement that the balls meet standards on game day. If the balls are not in compliance, the team should be penalized whether the cause was tampering or negligence. The actual air pressure in the footballs is all the proof that is needed.
    Like I said I dont GAS . But why is there a RULE in the 1st place? I think each team should be able to set the pressure to whatever works best for their QBs hands.
    Maybe that just makes too much sense for them.
    If there must be a set pressure then shouldnt there be a rule that says every NFL QB has to have close to the same size hands?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by olevetonahill View Post
    Like I said I dont GAS . But why is there a RULE in the 1st place? I think each team should be able to set the pressure to whatever works best for their QBs hands.
    Maybe that just makes too much sense for them.
    If there must be a set pressure then shouldnt there be a rule that says every NFL QB has to have close to the same size hands?
    Having a +/- .5lb range of variance out of a 13lb standard is actually pretty generous for the team to customize. The league could expand on that or get rid of the rule altogether, but I doubt it. But if they do have a rule, then need to enforce it or it creates an unlevel playing field.

There actually is an implicit rule on QB hand size just given the size of the ball. But that is no different than the implicit rules that require a certain size, strength, speed, age range, etc. just to have a glimmer of hope to play in the NFL. I would guess a very high percentage of people are eliminated from an NFL hopes the second the sperm hits the egg (I was).

And as far as you not GAS - you'll GAS if I have to come over there and make you GAS, old man.

vCash

Having a +/- .5lb range of variance out of a 13lb standard is actually pretty generous for the team to customize. The league could expand on that or get rid of the rule altogether, but I doubt it. But if they do have a rule, then need to enforce it or it creates an unlevel playing field.

There actually is an implicit rule on QB hand size just given the size of the ball. But that is no different than the implicit rules that require a certain size, strength, speed, age range, etc. just to have a glimmer of hope to play in the NFL. I would guess a very high percentage of people are eliminated from an NFL hopes the second the sperm hits the egg (I was).

And as far as you not GAS - you'll GAS if I have to come over there and make you GAS, old man.
    Come on Bro, we drink a beer and Take a big shot of OVJ and while yer eyes are all blurry and watery Ill just shoot ya

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by olevetonahill View Post
    Come on Bro, we drink a beer and Take a big shot of OVJ and while yer eyes are all blurry and watery Ill just shoot ya
    At least I'll get the OVJ.

vCash

At least I'll get the OVJ.
    Yea, I wouldnt shoot ya anyway. I save that for Idiot Lawyers and texans LOL

vCash

As pretty much everybody has said, it didn't change the outcome of the game. The Patriots have been involved in way too much foul play, and the fact that guys like Belichick still have jobs is almost as ridiculous as Calipari having a job in NCAAB. I'm not going to get too worked up about it, though. Belichick will be dead by the next time my Rams are in the Super Bowl, so I won't have to worry about them stealing our plays again.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member KantoSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Ah! discussions regarding punishment. My favorite.

Okay, Brady doesn't like rules. He doesn't want to play by them. Fine. Exempt him from the rules. Like, oh, personal fouls. Just let Suh know that no flags will be thrown no matter what he does to Brady. No matter if the whistle's blown or not. Hell, he could walk over during warm-ups and just start bitch slapping Brady for no reason. No consequences.

I'd pay money to watch something like that.
    "I don't know karate, but I know ka-razor!" - James Brown

vCash

I believe the punishment in place is $25k. Isn't that what Carolina and Minnesota were fined for heating their balls earlier this season?

This is quickly dropping off the headlines because there is nothing to it.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerBBall's Avatar
    vCash

I'd like some evidence that this type of doctoring is any worse than the doctoring that most other QBs employ. Rodgers says he likes them inflated to the max. Is that beyond the league specifications? Why no uproar about that?

I'm not even an NFL fan, but this whole thing seems much ado about nothing.
    Why doesn't he ever drop to the turf and sizzle like bacon when he scores? Is that too much to ask? -CobraKai on Adrian Peterson

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBBall View Post
    I'd like some evidence that this type of doctoring is any worse than the doctoring that most other QBs employ. Rodgers says he likes them inflated to the max. Is that beyond the league specifications? Why no uproar about that?

I'm not even an NFL fan, but this whole thing seems much ado about nothing.
    I guarantee Rodgers is not saying that GB inflates their footballs beyond the max. That would be like a pitcher saying he does use a spitball and daring the umpire to catch him doing it.

The big deal is the possibility that NE has found a way to subvert the checking process.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerBBall's Avatar
    vCash

That seems to be exactly what he is saying.

Via Mike Reiss of ESPNBoston.com, at least one possibly does. Reiss notes that, during the November 30 game between the Packers and Patriots on CBS, Jim Nantz and Phil Simms discussed the preference by quarterback Aaron Rodgersfor overinflated balls.“‘I like to push the limit to how much air we can put in the football, even go over what they allow you to do and see if the officials take air out of it,'” Simms said Rodgers told them before the game.
    Simms pointed out that Rodgers is the exception.
    “Everybody wants it smaller and soft, so they can dig their fingers into,” Simms said. “[Rodgers is] such a feel thrower. You can tell. The one touchdown he threw down the field to the tight end is such feel; then he flicks it. That shows you he just has great control of it, with his fingers and hand.”
    On his weekly radio show with ESPN Milwaukee, Rodgers confirmed that he prefers the balls to be overinflated, and that he doesn’t think there should be a maximum air pressure.
    It’s not an advantage when you have a football that’s inflated more than average air pressure. We’re not kicking these footballs,” Rodgers said, via Rob Demovsky of ESPN.com.
    Why doesn't he ever drop to the turf and sizzle like bacon when he scores? Is that too much to ask? -CobraKai on Adrian Peterson