Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Deflategate - aka the importance of regular and thorough ball palpitation

The extent of my NFL interest involves rooting for former Sooners, so I don't really have a stake in this particular topic, but I found the 5-year statistical analysis in this particular article to be fascinating. Sure stands to reason that this is as close as anyone will get towards proving that anything sketchy was happening beyond that one game.

http://www.sharpfootballanalysis.com/blog/?p=2932
    The enduring image of Oklahoma was that ridiculous double–middle finger of a game-icing kick. It was probably an accident, which somehow made it more, not less, insulting. It was as though Stoops had partied so hard on the corpse of the SEC that he woke up with an unplanned tattoo.

Administrator
    vCash

Re: Deflategate - aka the importance of regular and thorough ball palpitation

The whole thing is laughable.

First, Tom Brady stands in front of the press with a straight face and says he didn't realize anything was different about the balls. So, either they've been deflating them since before he arrived, or he's just flat out lying. There's no way a QB wouldn't notice the deflated ball.

Then, today, Belichick stood in front of the media and basically blamed the conditions in New England. The guy is a proven cheater. I don't know how either of these guys were able to keep a straight face while talking to the media.

One commentator I was listening to on TV this morning said in his opinion, this would not really hurt Brady's legacy at all. But it would pretty much tarnish Belichick's for good. I'm inclined to agree. I think he said assuming it is proven the Pat's intentionally did something.
    Aries

vCash

The whole thing makes me YAWN really really big!
    Behold the pale horse. The man who sat on him was death, and Hell followed with him.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

Winner of the Nobel Peace Prize 2015.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 aurorasooner's Avatar
    vCash

Thx for the link. Interesting analysis.

It'll be interesting to see in the next approx 15 games or so (Super Bowl + next years regular season) if NE can continue their extraordinary lack of putting the ball on the ground now that the ball pressure will be monitored by the refs to conform to the rules.

I also would think that CFB would have have a similar rule to the NFL regarding the football pressure range, but I don't really know, and don't really know if the college zebras even check the ball pressure of a game football or they just take it for granted that teams will conform to the rules. LOL if they do.
    I would like see the refs check the footballs at minimum of so many times/game by rule (randomly) throughout a game, and if the footballs don't conform to the rules, then the offending team gets a warning for the 1st infraction, but any subsequent infractions, they would get a 15 yarder for unsportsmanlike conduct

My personal opinion fwiw is that Bill Belicheat and Tom Shady lied their azzes off to the press and they've probably been doing the under inflation thing for a number of years especially in the wet weather games. I don't think it's necessarily for Brady's throwing benefit as much as it is for making the ball easier to grip by the RBs and WRs and thus not fumbling and missing critical receptions.

vCash

Having footballs aired up to within the rules sure did put a crimp in their game the second half against Indy! Bahahahahaha

I mean, all their success the last several years being due to underinflated footballs, and to play so well without that wondrous advantage - shocking I tell ya, just shocking!
    Behold the pale horse. The man who sat on him was death, and Hell followed with him.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

Winner of the Nobel Peace Prize 2015.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Curly Bill View Post
    The whole thing makes me YAWN really really big!
    Yup
    Who GAF?
    I aint watched a NFL game since Sam went down
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

If God wanted Men to look women in the eyes, He wouldnt have gave em Boobs !

vCash

http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

If God wanted Men to look women in the eyes, He wouldnt have gave em Boobs !

vCash

Both coaches in the superbowl are dickheads....
    Hey... maybe T BOONE can pony up and start a Stilleater newspaper... but the players would probably just use it to roll the weed.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Breadburner View Post
    I've never disliked two Super Bowl teams so much. If I wasn't such a fan, I wouldn't watch the game. It should be a good one though.

vCash

I don't really care about either. If we had more Sooners involved maybe. But otherwise it's just the last real football game for months. It's kinda like an alcoholic trying to get by on mouthwash or something.
    The enduring image of Oklahoma was that ridiculous double–middle finger of a game-icing kick. It was probably an accident, which somehow made it more, not less, insulting. It was as though Stoops had partied so hard on the corpse of the SEC that he woke up with an unplanned tattoo.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 8timechamps View Post
    The whole thing is laughable.

First, Tom Brady stands in front of the press with a straight face and says he didn't realize anything was different about the balls. So, either they've been deflating them since before he arrived, or he's just flat out lying. There's no way a QB wouldn't notice the deflated ball.

Then, today, Belichick stood in front of the media and basically blamed the conditions in New England. The guy is a proven cheater. I don't know how either of these guys were able to keep a straight face while talking to the media.
    A 15 year veteran QB could detect a 2 lb PSI difference immediately. Brady's lying.

If it was the weather conditions, then the Colts footballs would also be down the same amount. Did they bother to check those? Belichick is lying.

It's that old philosophy that "if you ain't cheatin' you ain't tryin'" and Americans eat it up. They'll probably get slapped with a fine and maybe a draft pick just like spygate. The draft pick seems like a big deal, but in reality it will just free up some cap to buy a proven free agent and let some other team take their chances on a rookie.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Breadburner View Post
    This is fact.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 8timechamps View Post
    I've never disliked two Super Bowl teams so much. If I wasn't such a fan, I wouldn't watch the game. It should be a good one though.
    x 2. The only vested interest I have in it is that I'd like to see David King get a ring. Other than that, may it end up a 0-0 tie after 100 OT's.
    Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb.

vCash

Total nonscandal

vCash

Hell, Blount could have slashed his way through the Colt Defense carrying a beachball. In the game overall, the Patriots had more rush attempts than pass attempts, and having "cheated" in the first half only, I'm wondering what effect it really had. As stated in an earlier post, both coaches in the upcoming game aren't shining examples of what coaches should be...

Boomer

Sooner Starter
    vCash

.....you know, I don't quite recall the game being stopped at any time because the other QB was complaining to the refs or the other teams coaches calling time out because their players were telling to them that the ball didn't seem quite right....hmmm

....sounds like a bunch of crybabies and sore losers to me

ss
    "You can trouble me for a warm glass of shut-the-hell-up"

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Soonerjeepman's Avatar
    vCash

all I know is my balls are always under the right amount of pressure, it just wouldn't be fair~
    How do you know if you get there, if you don't know where you are going?..oh and I had 1,713 post on the "other board"..I hate being a rookie again!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by vtsooner21 View Post
    Hell, Blount could have slashed his way through the Colt Defense carrying a beachball...
    True, but irrelevant. Cheating is cheating regardless of the outcome of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by vtsooner21 View Post
    ... As stated in an earlier post, both coaches in the upcoming game aren't shining examples of what coaches should be...

Boomer
    And as I stated in an earlier post, Americans eat this up. So you can expect the NFL to react accordingly - some kind of organizational punishment that will not have any real impact on the Pats.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerorLater's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerjeepman View Post
    all I know is my balls are always under the right amount of pressure, it just wouldn't be fair~
    I think we all will just have to take your word for it and let it go at that.